Source Orb Pen Vape

Bad Ocelot

Sorry to hear that Pete, I know that's a hassle to deal with. I'll definitely be using as little power as possible going forward. Hopefully I'll have some more "testing material" in the next few days ;)

Just got an iStick Pico and I was able to get it to work in TC mode with Source Quartz Terra donuts. I can now take hits as short as 5 seconds or as long as 20 seconds without worry of overpowering the donut and getting harsh, burnt tasting hits. No matter the length of time I hit the power button, I'm now getting tasty smooth cool hits. This is the "no-brainer" tool I've been searching months for.

Can't wait to get my Source nail atomizers to experiment with using in temperature control mode on the Pico.

Nice, what TC settings did you use with the terra?

FlimsyKnuckle

Kudos Pete, for your reporting. Really helpful stuff.

I guess I will hold off on their nails until people can properly use them but I LOVE the idea of them so much.

PeteSeattle

Kudos Pete, for your reporting. Really helpful stuff.

I guess I will hold off on their nails until people can properly use them but I LOVE the idea of them so much.

Thanks. I'm glad I can give you all reports before making decisions.

They are such an improvement over the all exposed coils designs. I really liked the triple quartz with the XL but with just now a cup improves the flavor so much.

Well, since there is a major backlog for the new nails my replacements will take a while.

With the one functioning coil I found these settings suit me (may not be for others).

Quartz:12-15w
Ceramic: 25-30w
Titanium: 20-23w

I stepped up the wattage until I hit the my max wattage and the step it down 2 degrees.

Now, the glass cracking due to heat is another issue. The ramp up is fine with glass. It's the rapid cooling that is causing the glass to crack. I work with glass and once something is made it has to go into the kiln to slowly cool down ... so it won't crack.

I can't wait to see the next gen of portable dabbing.

Last edited:

lomein07

Nice, what TC settings did you use with the terra?

Keep in mind individual atomizers will be slightly different and may require different settings.

My Terra has a resting resistance of 1.14ohms, I locked that in. Set max wattage as 9.7W (it's still possible for me to get harsh hits at 9.7W in VW mode). Arbitrarily set TCR value at 245, since that's what they're using for their Devine Tribe donuts on the DT thread here on FC. TCR is likely to be slightly off, as I don't think the temp I set is accurate, but I have no idea what the Terra wire lead material is.

I set max temp to 460F and taking hits from 10-20 seconds, I get low-mid clouds with cool, smooth, flavour. At 9.7W max, it only takes 1-3 seconds for it to reach max temp.

Bad Ocelot

Finally got some more shatter so was able to try out the enail last night. Works pretty well! I used it at lower voltage than recommended though.

I've only used the quartz nail so far, and had decent results at 12.7-13.5w. Not thick clouds but flavorful and effective. I'd planned on trying out the ceramic as well but was too stoned after a couple rips off the quartz. Warm up time was 12-15s or so, I just pulsed the power in 3-4 second bursts.

PeteSeattle

Total bummer.
The dab nail glass is so snug that both of my glass pieces broke while very gently putting the glass back on. They claimed their engineer tested a unit "at suggested" watt limit and that they "couldn't find a fault" with the glass cracking. I wasn't informed when my only one glass replacement would not be fulfilled until preorders are done.

There goes taking the Nail camping.

***addition***

I'm starting to think this product is not for me at all. I do like the idea of on the go dabbing but breaking glass as you handle it very gently concerns me. And now I can't use the product until my replacements arrive (replacement coils which shorted on their recommended wattage).

I'm looking at a serious dab pen/atomizer with out exposed charged coils. I'm ditching this dab/glass form factor only because the glass is not reliable (at least for my kit).

I looked into something the was fully a rebuildable atomizer (pen) doesn't use glass, glues, wires ... the Hercules Sr-47x made in the US. PM me if you want to know more about it as I don't want to elaborate on other vendors in this thread.

Last edited:

PeteSeattle

Didn't you get an XL?
Got the Source Nail dab rig kit :-/

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Source products but when it breaks and CS doesn't let me know when my replacements arrive I'm dead in the water.

And I'm not about to stop at the head shop/gas station to pick up an unreliable coil pen. Ugh, the last thing I need is to drag my glass, torch, and dab set-up at camping.

Last edited:

blizingerbs

Got the Source Nail dab rig kit :-/

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Source products but when it breaks and CS doesn't let me know when my replacements arrive I'm dead in the water.

And I'm not about to stop at the head shop/gas station to pick up an unreliable coil pen. Ugh, the last thing I need is to drag my glass, torch, and dab set-up at camping.

I'm really sorry to hear your situation. all too common with source products.
please consider a new generation of vape pen far superior to anything you have ever seen.
as mentioned above, check out this
Hercules oil cartridge

blizingerbs,

FlimsyKnuckle

Sorry, someone else ordered both and over time I thought it was you.

I was just like, try the nail on the XL.

Nah man, I totally get you. Their customer service is a trip... and both glass pieces and two atomizers? Not a good report.

The thing sounds great in theory and it looks like they are going all in with their nails so I hope they get the kinks worked out asap.

poonman

In theory , I really like the portability of the dab rig .
So it's the glass part , that needs tweaking ?

I'm wondering if there can be some kind of protective
insulation/barrier to eliminate the cracking glass . Like
' grounded glass ' on the end of adapters ?
or
Some kind of padding/silicone on the battery connection ,
so the glass sits on top and gets a good seal ?

The Coil-less attys are taking off , and I'm noticing some of
the same members lurking on other vape threads in FC ...

poonman,

SOURCEvapes

#ExperienceTrueTaste
Manufacturer
Ok, so from their website, the Orb 4 will work like the XL 1.5, with the adjustable air flow and whatnot. It will also be magnetic rather than screwed together. I can see pluses and minuses for this magnetic connection. I like the quick access if using like a nail, but if you have it loaded and in your pocket... no matter how strong the magnetic bond, it is gonna detach eventually at a poor time and make a mess or waste product.

It will also work with the nails so yeah, they are REALLY going all in with these nails. Now I am VERY interested to hear how the nails work as a pen. I am still hesitant to buy a set until I hear some feedback and also, i have the XL atomizers to fiddle with for the time being.

But if we are finally done with coils, and moving beyond the Terra, I am super optimistic for where things are going.

Hi FlimsyKnuckle!

We thought much about the falling apart in the pocket problem when we made the SOURCE orb 4. The magnet is STRONG and the way it sets into the piece it is very unlikely it will come apart in your pocket!

SOURCEvapes,

SOURCEvapes

#ExperienceTrueTaste
Manufacturer
Sorry, someone else ordered both and over time I thought it was you.

I was just like, try the nail on the XL.

Nah man, I totally get you. Their customer service is a trip... and both glass pieces and two atomizers? Not a good report.

The thing sounds great in theory and it looks like they are going all in with their nails so I hope they get the kinks worked out asap.

Hi FlimsyKnuckle!

We do all we can to ensure our products are made to top quality. Unfortunately, which completely new technology we will have some malfunctioning products here and there. However, we do back everything by the best warranty in the industry and will always replace anything not working correctly. If you have any issues, please make sure to email us at support@sourcevapes.com and our representatives will get to you promptly!

SOURCEvapes,

FlimsyKnuckle

With all due respect SourceVapes,

It is a disappointment to see 4 of 5 items break for a user who has allegedly used them as advertised or at a much lower wattage. A user, I might add, who was extremely excited to finally get your product after being an extremely early adopter and waiting at least a month for shipment. It is sad to hear he has no ETA on replacements. That is an epic fail, or at least it has all the appearances of one.

I understand sometimes everything just goes wrong for one customer and that sucks for the company but I have been following this thread for a while now and I have kind of got the feel for your customer. He seems like an extremely nice guy who is hitting the limits of his patience, and he would really like a working version of what he ordered almost two months ago.

Is that unreasonable?

Last edited:
FlimsyKnuckle,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Hate to see others having a poor experience, but FWIW Source has really provided me top of class after purchase support. I've got 2 regular Orb3 kits and one of the Orb3 premium packages with the full accessory list. I've been so satisfied with their quality and performance, I've bought 3 kits in total and talked several friends into these as well.

I had some battery issues though, Source walked me through a few trouble shooting tips, and after further exploration replaced two of the batteries that we're not performing optimally. They were attentive through the whole process, responded quickly to my emails, and made the exchange a very simple and painless.

From the posts above, it appears they may have launched the 4 with a few issues and maybe not enough inventory to replace those that got broken or bad products and accessories, but my experience leads me to believe they will make it right... Hopefully sooner rather than later.

PeteSeattle

Hate to see others having a poor experience, but FWIW Source has really provided me top of class after purchase support. I've got 2 regular Orb3 kits and one of the Orb3 premium packages with the full accessory list. I've been so satisfied with their quality and performance, I've bought 3 kits in total and talked several friends into these as well.

I had some battery issues though, Source walked me through a few trouble shooting tips, and after further exploration replaced two of the batteries that we're not performing optimally. They were attentive through the whole process, responded quickly to my emails, and made the exchange a very simple and painless.

From the posts above, it appears they may have launched the 4 with a few issues and maybe not enough inventory to replace those that got broken or bad products and accessories, but my experience leads me to believe they will make it right... Hopefully sooner rather than later.

@SOURCEvapes has been nothing but very helpful. I appreciate the Source post addressing our concerns. My glass has been replaced as promised with an additional base which was more than I expected.

FlimsyKnuckle

Good! I am thrilled you are happy and I apologize for barging in like I did. Something about how your concerns went virtually unalnowledged just rubbed me the wrong way. And I totally brought a terrible work week in with me when I posted. Sorry I was so grumpy. It surprised me too.

My XL is hitting like a champ, and it is quite likely my favorite vape pen I have ever used. If anything, it works too well and my old lungs can't keep up with its vapor production. Something about Quartz really makes me cough.

I am still really trying to find my sweet spot with it. I love the variable air flow but still haven't found my favorite setting or even why different air flows seem best one day and then too open or restrictive the next. Perhaps it is just my old lungs.

The double coil works at much the same wattage as the smaller orb double coil attys. The triple coil seems like it could take quite a high amount of watts and still be within the voltage range. But I dunno if I ever need to try it out that high.

What wattage range do you guys work with for the triple coil? Almost all the info I find is about voltage. I can't lock my voltage with my current mod.

One thing I have noticed is that it can work a bit like a terra/nail if any product goes unused and falls below the coils. Just pulse for long enough to get it hot enough to vape what is below the coils... and like a nail, the vape will keep producing for a good while after you stop pressing the power.

A working nail system would really make the XL perfect for me. I just don't want to spend $50 on a set until people get their settings perfected and the nails don't blow out as readily when used at factory recommend settings. But I do want something that is easy to clean that finally gets rid of the dastardly exposed coils.

I probably will skip the Orb 4. The XL 1.5 does everything the 4 does and it doesn't have a magnet connection. I know the magnets will work fine for most folks, but I pants pocket it a LOT and like to load it for the day and forget it... I can't afford potential spills that could be avoided with screw on parts.

Also the XL 1.5 is so much larger than the smaller ORB, for better cloud production and heat distribution and I imagine those nails get HOT... which will make the mouthpiece hot sooner on a smaller unit.

It is GREAT to finally have a unit that if anything, I under use, run it at low power settings and hardly stress it at all. When I say I under use it, I don't mean I use it infrequently, just that I am often nowhere near the max settings. The coolest thing about the three coil atty is slightest wattage adjustments make far less of a difference so you can really dial it in to a low setting and not worry too much about taking a sweat inducing cough fest of a hit on accident... so it really reminds me of a terra (including the flavor) when used at lower settings.

FlimsyKnuckle,
Reactions: poonman

PeteSeattle

What wattage range do you guys work with for the triple coil? Almost all the info I find is about voltage. I can't lock my voltage with my current mod.

One thing I have noticed is that it can work a bit like a terra/nail if any product goes unused and falls below the coils. Just pulse for long enough to get it hot enough to vape what is below the coils... and like a nail, the vape will keep producing for a good while after you stop pressing the power.

A working nail system would really make the XL perfect for me. I just don't want to spend $50 on a set until people get their settings perfected and the nails don't blow out as readily when used at factory recommend settings. But I do want something that is easy to clean that finally gets rid of the dastardly exposed coils.
When I ran triple coils I had my wattage from anywhere between 3.5-3.8 volts. Since I've been playing around with the Enail I haven't used my triple coils recently but your methods sound similar with the pulsing. I sometimes tilt the vape back while cooling the wax (button off) and then swirl with a bit of an upside down motion just to coat the underside of the coils.

While I find the triple coils to be efficient I find sometimes I forget and go through a lot of wax.

With the replacement glass Source sent I'll be testing out the titanium and quartz again and try to report back my re-try with the Enail.

I'm looking forward for the ceramic Enail coil replacement that I'm patiently waiting for.

Last edited:

FlimsyKnuckle

I am really liking the double coil.

I switched back to it and it hits much more like I expect it to.

It is like I hit the triple wrong and cough even from the lightest hit. Ah well, this is the fun kind of practice.

Bad Ocelot

I've been using the titanium double coil on temp control some lately. Works pretty well albeit not the most efficient atty.

Still haven't quite gotten my coil-less attys dialed in. I've been using the quartz with the dab rig & the ceramic with the globe that came with the kit. I tend to get the ceramic too hot & it tastes a bit reclaimy, and I sometimes don't get the quartz quite hot enough. Just gonna take a little practice. I would like to nail down some TC settings that work with the nail but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bad Ocelot,
Reactions: poonman

PeteSeattle

Thanks again to @SOURCEvapes for sending replacement Enail coils.

In my initial review I couldn't really report on the ceramic (it cracked).
(http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/source-orb-pen-vape.16295/page-25#post-980948)

After using it between 30-35w (which works but really hot) I started playing around stepping it down a bit between 25-28 which I prefer. The initial dab (30w) really vaped the wax but hovering below saves the flavor. I find with the initial warm up is fine (for me) at 15 sec.

Out of the 3 Enails the quartz and the ceramic bowls are a toss up. They really gave me nice and unadulterated flavors vs XL and legacy exposed coils. I used th Ti once and it works fine but flavors are slightly less pronounced.

When I clean my quartz bowls I just pulse the mod until the char burns off and I can see through it and after letting it cool I just swipe out the rest with iso.

Now I can't wait for my next camping trip.

** edit ** haha looks like @Bad Ocelot and I just posted at the same time.

With the ceramic I'll stop when the taste diminishes just right before that reclaim taste. I've had to really play around with settings and I'm not using TC with it.

Last edited:

FlimsyKnuckle

I've been using the titanium double coil on temp control some lately. Works pretty well albeit not the most efficient atty.

Still haven't quite gotten my coil-less attys dialed in. I've been using the quartz with the dab rig & the ceramic with the globe that came with the kit. I tend to get the ceramic too hot & it tastes a bit reclaimy, and I sometimes don't get the quartz quite hot enough. Just gonna take a little practice. I would like to nail down some TC settings that work with the nail but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
What settings for TC for the dual coil? Quartz or ceramic? Orb 3 or XL atty?

I don't think I can lock my wattage in TC... grrrrr.

Last edited:
FlimsyKnuckle,

Bad Ocelot

Been using 390-420F (Ti mode of course) locked at 15-17w on the double coil, haven't used the triple yet.

@PeteSeattle Have you tried using the nails like a standard atty in the globe or XL yet?

Top Bottom