Source Orb Pen Vape

Bad Ocelot

Still waiting on my enail... but used some discounts/gift cards to pick up an XL orb for about $20 :brow:

Has anyone used temp control with the double or triple coil attys? It's titanium so it should work in Ti mode, no? I searched the thread but didn't really see anything. I may give that a try this weekend sometime if I can procure some more wax. My live resin stash is running low & don't wanna use it to test something out.

I'm also curious if the enail atty's use a Ti or other TC-able heating element. Obviously since it's heating a vessel & not the concentrate directly one would have to "trick" the device into maintaining the desired temp kinda like we do with the DT donuts, but that doesn't seem like a tall order at all. Ever since I started using the DT 2.5 I've gotten really into temp control, ha. Even using it for nicotine ejuice now. Dunno why it took me so long to use this feature.

PeteSeattle

Still waiting on my enail... but used some discounts/gift cards to pick up an XL orb for about $20 :brow:

Has anyone used temp control with the double or triple coil attys? It's titanium so it should work in Ti mode, no? I searched the thread but didn't really see anything. I may give that a try this weekend sometime if I can procure some more wax. My live resin stash is running low & don't wanna use it to test something out.

I'm also curious if the enail atty's use a Ti or other TC-able heating element. Obviously since it's heating a vessel & not the concentrate directly one would have to "trick" the device into maintaining the desired temp kinda like we do with the DT donuts, but that doesn't seem like a tall order at all. Ever since I started using the DT 2.5 I've gotten really into temp control, ha. Even using it for nicotine ejuice now. Dunno why it took me so long to use this feature.

I've only used wattage mode (or power) on my TC mod.

The only reason I'm using that mode is because the battery that comes with the Flosstradamus is just VW and not temp control.

I don't know but someone else here may have played around a bit with settings and can share their experience.

I find if I follow factory instructions then I won't short my coils. I have shorted out ceramic terra coil when I tried to push it beyond the recommended voltage range.

Here's some info from source about the XL Quartz attys

Gr1 Quartz Triple Coil

Works with:

Specifications:

• Temperature: 415°C - 559°C / 779°F - 1039°F
  • Resistance: 0.4-0.5 ohm
  • Recommended Voltage Range: 4.2V
  • Heating Material: Grade 1 Titanium (USA Laboratory Tested)

FlimsyKnuckle

I haven't played with the temp control either but I suspect you could trick it. I too would rather someone else did the testing though. :p

The new XL is very cool. I really like how it hits but I too am short of concentrate and couldn't really give it a proper run before I ran out. The adjustable air flow works spectacularly well.

FlimsyKnuckle

Premonitions confirmed... Looks like the entire Orb3 line is officially being abandoned.
Looks like the direction is solely on mods and coil less atomizers.

Ok, so from their website, the Orb 4 will work like the XL 1.5, with the adjustable air flow and whatnot. It will also be magnetic rather than screwed together. I can see pluses and minuses for this magnetic connection. I like the quick access if using like a nail, but if you have it loaded and in your pocket... no matter how strong the magnetic bond, it is gonna detach eventually at a poor time and make a mess or waste product.

It will also work with the nails so yeah, they are REALLY going all in with these nails. Now I am VERY interested to hear how the nails work as a pen. I am still hesitant to buy a set until I hear some feedback and also, i have the XL atomizers to fiddle with for the time being.

But if we are finally done with coils, and moving beyond the Terra, I am super optimistic for where things are going.

Bad Ocelot

Looks like mine should be here this week as well, just as I ran out of concentrates lol. I'll pick up a big glob the next time I have a chance & do some testing with the enails & XL attys.

PeteSeattle

@FlimsyKnuckle and all
I hope source reads this. A silicone cap to help congealing wax stay in the atty would help but one must remember to remove it before using it (of course). I don't know which company does this but I've seen it out there. So if the magnet fails you still have your wax covered. What would I use? I have glass dube tubes that have a silicon cap. Med supply on Amazon or eBay. Blood collecting viles.

@Bad Ocelot
Mine is one the delivery truck. Yes, I've only .2 grams. I had to be good to hold out. Or I'm going to have take a syringe to my oil cartridges.

Ugh a few more hours.

i will be testing it out after the mail arrives and will report.

PeteSeattle

Sorry for the back to back but just wanted to share a photo unboxing for just the attachment and paired with some of my box mods

Well, here we go ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

The kit.

image.jpg

The two attachments and the glass carb.

image.jpg

Close up of ceramic, quartz, and titanium.

image.jpg

Notice the cups are secured with outer rings. The heating component is a (single, double?) Ceramic doughnut instead of a rod like HNail.

image.jpg

Left to right: mini volt, the Flosstradamus, cubis mini, and the cubis.

I prefer the cubis because that's my only mod that I can swap my batteries out and can sit stable on a flat surface if you don't want to hold it between hits. It takes 2x18650 batteries.

You have to take glass off on either base to screw in the coil. Attach your mod for better leverage when removing glass. This will ensure your glass will not crack. If you have VG sitting around I'd give the inner glass a swipe of it as to lube it.

My first test was with the quartz cup. I did the 15 second warm-up and then dunked a chunk while keeping the button pressed for 6-8 seconds, carbed, and exhaled what a low temp Quartz dab should taste like.

The clouds were not billowing as if I hit a rig but then again I'm doing low temp with quartz.

Since the nail was still warm I did short pulses on the mod with the carb cap on to finish the wax.

It was just a grain of rice sized glob and the effects are, um, very noticeable.

No weird metallic taste from the metal coil jackets (sorry, I should have soaked these before hand but was too anxious to try it out but I'll take one for the team).

I will test the others later after I soak all coil components in iso for a while (and sober up).

So far so good.

I will mention something right away. I'm not a fan of the carb cap being glass. I'm going to switch over to a carb cap I can visually see. While it's neat to have a glass the carb I can't see it when I go and grab it. And I've already accidentally knocked it over because it's almost invisible. It would be great to have a titanium option

Other than that ... I have to stagger these tests to report back on the other coils.

Please feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer as coherently as I can.

*** edit ***
Titanium: Wow! As with all titanium nails this one also has to be seasoned. This was pretty close to a rig hit. I hit it low temp (25w) at 700f (I'm getting to be more of a terp snob lately).

Ceramic: Tastes as if you're hit ceramic. WARNING!!! The recommended factory instructions were at 40w. Try 30 and then stepping up because I hit it at 40w and the ceramic bowl cracked right away.

Quartz: Changed my technique and got milky hits. This was at 17w.

--->>> So far I'm liking the Quartz nail!

Last edited:

Bad Ocelot

I managed to scrape up a dab of live resin to try out the quartz nail last night. Pretty nice, though I did get it a little too hot. Will have to do a little more "practice" soon, ha.

I like that the heating vessel can be removed for easy cleaning. The donuts definitely look different than the terras (thicker?) and they heat up evenly on both sides a la the DT 2.5 etc. I'll probably try the ceramic in the globe and or orb XL as I imagine it will splatter the least.

I wasn't a big fan of the invisible carb cap either, broke it immediately while reaching before a glass of water before trying out the enail, ha. Oh well, I've got a couple others that should work just fine.

PeteSeattle

Hmmm. 2 coils shorted right away on me with factory settings. My advice is go lower then slowly ramp up to 2 degrees less than recommend temp/wattage.

So glad about the 30 guarantee policy. Will be making a claim.

It sucks when you're down to one coil day 1 and they're back logged.

PeteSeattle,
Reactions: poonman

Bad Ocelot

ah that's a bummer. I've only used the quartz at 17w, probably going to go lower next go 'round. Which coil do you still have working?

Bad Ocelot,

PeteSeattle

ah that's a bummer. I've only used the quartz at 17w, probably going to go lower next go 'round. Which coil do you still have working?

I only have the quartz working.

One thing I'm thinking is when inserting the cup to not tighten the outer ring too much. Just until it stops threading.

But with just one coil I can still try all the cups but so far quartz, ar least for me, is the way to go at around 15w. The quartz just taste more pure.

I'm sure I might have a different opinion if the ceramic cup didn't break because I'm sure that's terp snob's dream.

Update
I'm on email with them and they are answering right away! Can't get through on phone.

Last edited:
PeteSeattle,
Reactions: poonman

Bad Ocelot

Right on, I generally prefer quartz myself, or ceramic. Never been much of a fan of Ti.

Given the similarity to the DT, I'm thinking I might go below 15w & just preheat slightly longer. It doesn't take a lot of power to heat those ceramic donuts.

PeteSeattle

Right on, I generally prefer quartz myself, or ceramic. Never been much of a fan of Ti.

Given the similarity to the DT, I'm thinking I might go below 15w & just preheat slightly longer. It doesn't take a lot of power to heat those ceramic donuts.

I think 15w does it for me. It kind of reminds me of hitting a low temp quartz banger.

Sure, this attachment is not going to give you a milky dab but for on the go it's fine.

Play around with settings and you can get milky dabs but use caution when using the recommended temps risking a short or cracking cups.

One thing I will say is I'm liking the way 510 nails are coming along. With these new nails I don't get the exposed coil burn taste and so easy to clean.

As with the other new enails on the market make sure you remove the water piece from the base of the "dome" and not the mouth piece. Pulling the WT off from the mouth piece may snap at the joint. This hasn't happened to me but I've read people experiencing this in other threads.

Last edited:

PeteSeattle

Folks, sorry, again for the back to back but because of the editing time limit I need to add more to my experience.

Day 3:
- Source responded and are sending a new set of coils
- using the attachment at lower than suggested wattage (the coils short easily if wattage too high) may crack the glass attachment to the atomizer.
- emailed them about the issue and waiting to hear back.

Everything was going well because I had the settings as low as possible so I didn't short the coil. I got milky hits. I didn't keep my finger on the mod button but pulsed it (so it wouldn't overheat). Then all of a sudden, "CRACK!" Great another problem to contact them about.

So ... heat is an issue with the attachment. I've heard this happen to the HNail and similar devices. I can update when I hear from them again.

The portable compact dabbing is fun but not so much with coils shorting and the water tool cracking on day 3 of having this attachment.

If these things didn't occur I'd be having a great experience other than the issues mentioned above.

If this happens at a high rate then I hope there will be a solution soon.

Danksta

Folks, sorry, again for the back to back but because of the editing time limit I need to add more to my experience.

Day 3:
- Source responded and are sending a new set of coils
- using the attachment at lower than suggested wattage (the coils short easily if wattage too high) may crack the glass attachment to the atomizer.
- emailed them about the issue and waiting to hear back.

Everything was going well because I had the settings as low as possible so I didn't short the coil. I got milky hits. I didn't keep my finger on the mod button but pulsed it (so it wouldn't overheat). Then all of a sudden, "CRACK!" Great another problem to contact them about.

So ... heat is an issue with the attachment. I've heard this happen to the HNail and similar devices. I can update when I hear from them again.

The portable compact dabbing is fun but not so much with coils shorting and the water tool cracking on day 3 of having this attachment.

If these things didn't occur I'd be having a great experience other than the issues mentioned above.

If this happens at a high rate then I hope there will be a solution soon.

It's my understanding the current kit is just the BETA. You're the tester and will help them fine tune it. With their guarantee you get free upgrades. It's an interesting way of doing business. Patience seems to be key when dealing with source.

Thanks for taking one for the team :tup:

lomein07

Just got an iStick Pico and I was able to get it to work in TC mode with Source Quartz Terra donuts. I can now take hits as short as 5 seconds or as long as 20 seconds without worry of overpowering the donut and getting harsh, burnt tasting hits. No matter the length of time I hit the power button, I'm now getting tasty smooth cool hits. This is the "no-brainer" tool I've been searching months for.

Can't wait to get my Source nail atomizers to experiment with using in temperature control mode on the Pico.

PeteSeattle

It's my understanding the current kit is just the BETA. You're the tester and will help them fine tune it. With their guarantee you get free upgrades. It's an interesting way of doing business. Patience seems to be key when dealing with source.

As long as I get a reliable working product with out much expense from me then that's terrific.

Perhaps if the base were ceramic instead of metal may help the issue. Metal expands when heated thus adding stress to the glass (this would also apply to the glass globe base and bulb). I believe ceramic while still fragile if dropped may not expand. I believe the HNail went this route if I'm not mistaken (vs the Teflon base from original design).

The coils are terrific. The rest needs to be smooth out if the product is supposed to mimic dabbing without a torch or plug.

jay87

I hadn't heard about this, can you elaborate on the process or where you saw this?

Top Bottom