• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Source Orb Pen Vape

elmoe420

I just received my Source Vapes Flosstradamus package in the mail today. I ordered direct from the Source website.

Unfortunately when I unscrewed the upper part of the mouth piece I found some disturbing materials present.

First there is some sort of gross sticky substance on the bottom of the upper mouth piece part. Feels like some sort of glue or adhesive and I have no idea what it is or why it is present.

nqNBHFc.jpg

Second the threading on the upper mouthpiece has some sort of black substance in it. Maybe this is the same black glaze used to coat the exterior? There is a little bit in the threads on the mouthpiece part just below it as well. This was harder to capture in a picture.

KOfVFyP.jpg

Really bummed that a $120 vaporizer arrives this way. I'll try to clean the mouthpiece and threads with iso but I now have serious concerns about contamination of the air path.

Did anyone else have a vape from Source arrive in this condition? First impression of Source Vapes definitely a negative one.

Bad Ocelot

bummed to hear about the sub-optimal titanium. I've been using their double coil atomizers for like a year. I typically use low voltage (3.2-4.0v) so hopefully that isn't hot enough to do too much damage.

And I love their double coil attys :ugh: I did get a few sub-par ceramic double coils over the time i've been using them. The quartz double coils seem to have better QC, but I've only gotten one 5 pack of those so far. Gotta use a little higher voltage (4.0-4.2v) because more wraps, but have still worked well for me.

Gonna keep my eye on whatever's going on with them before I order any more.

I've had solid results using the ceramic terra (have yet to try the quartz) at 4.6-4.8v on the VV source battery. I have a couple VW mods now, what wattage do you guys use with the ceramic terra?

Bad Ocelot,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
So I've been using Source coils for a while now and finally buckled and got a couple of kits.

I had previously bought a Orb4 accessory kit and loved it, LOVE IT.
Must say I am kinda disappointed with all the screw together parts of the other mouthpieces, seem to be just a trap for residue. Are these a PIA to clean? Right now I am back on the Orb4 carbed globe.

What is yalls preference with having to use a 510 adapter versus not? Was kinda amused to see how it does not use an adapter in the stock configuration.

FlyingLow,

FlimsyKnuckle

The screw-on parts of the metal Orb are fine (although you may want to heat, clean and/or wipe anything in iso before putting it in your mouth after manufacturing).

Oil does not want to wick down the threading of an Orb shell, it screws in counterintuitively compared to where the wax wants to go. Very little, if any noticeable wax funks up the mechanism.

So, cleaning is easier with The Orb than it even is with your Orb Globe, at least if you want to harvest as much as possible worth of that reclaim rather than going straight to an alcohol bath. Also, squeeze and twist some sheets of paper towel tightly around the threads, that will create enough friction to heat and loosen anything caught in them. In fact, the rubber gaskets on your globe likely catch more reclaim and the same goes for any Orb Slim, but the compatibility that comes with those connections more than makes up for it. That is how you connect to bubblers and whatnot after all.

The Orb is far stealthier than your dome, but you have better air control with a finger carb. That said, the Orb has a slightly higher learning curve... but once you learn to hit blind, it is as good as a globe for hits too (it just takes a bit more practice, FUN practice, nothing advanced, you are carbing while you hit, so a slower pull at first while the vape accumulates, then a powerful tug to really carb the vape out of the chamber).

As for the 510 adapter, The Orb is designed to look best on an ego style pen, but it hits best on a box mod...

You must use an eGo adapter to use a Globe V3 on a box mod and it still looks cool. But, The Orb XL looks best on a box mod without adding a (cheap and easy to find, like anywhere, 510 - ego adapter) piece made by someone else. When all set up, that fastener just looks like a coin has been placed between your orb and your mod, and you can just barely see the silver coin-like ridges if you are looking for them. It looks great from the perspective of someone looking at your setup.

Last edited:
FlimsyKnuckle,
Reactions: poonman

Bad Ocelot

I never had much trouble with oil collecting in the grooves on the orb. If it does, just dip the whole thing in isopropanol for a couple minutes. On the orb V1 i had a few years back the metal screen would collect a decent amount of goop after using double coil attys for a while, but pretty much anything does. Just toss it in the reclaim wash with everything else, ha.

Bad Ocelot,

TheGoat

Highly considering the Source Orb 3 Slim as my first pen purchase. I've done quite a bit of research coming from not knowing ANYTHING about these pens and vaping. My main focus was to find a pen that was small and I could use discretely, so I thought I was set when I found the Dr.Dabber Light. After more research I discovered that they use wicks that may have fiberglass/silica that is harmful to breathe in (correct me if I'm wrong please). From what I hear the Source Orb 3 has wickless or ceramic atomizers that are just better quality than any other. Would you recommend this pen for a noob like myself? Would probably be light use, few times a week. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Does anybody know the physical length of the pen? Is it maybe possible to use a smaller battery? I have no idea about thread sizes

Last edited:
TheGoat,

FlimsyKnuckle

Highly considering the Source Orb 3 Slim as my first pen purchase. I've done quite a bit of research coming from not knowing ANYTHING about these pens and vaping. My main focus was to find a pen that was small and I could use discretely, so I thought I was set when I found the Dr.Dabber Light. After more research I discovered that they use wicks that may have fiberglass/silica that is harmful to breathe in (correct me if I'm wrong please). From what I hear the Source Orb 3 has wickless or ceramic atomizers that are just better quality than any other. Would you recommend this pen for a noob like myself? Would probably be light use, few times a week. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Does anybody know the physical length of the pen? Is it maybe possible to use a smaller battery? I have no idea about thread sizes

The Orb unit (minus a battery) itself is roughly the size of the average e-cig tank and mouthpiece. It is ego threaded so it will connect to any ego threaded battery, or to any 510 threading with the addition of a 510-ego adapter (found for around $2-3 at almost any e-cig vape shop).

FlimsyKnuckle,

TheGoat

The Orb unit (minus a battery) itself is roughly the size of the average e-cig tank and mouthpiece. It is ego threaded so it will connect to any ego threaded battery, or to any 510 threading with the addition of a 510-ego adapter (found for around $2-3 at almost any e-cig vape shop).
Great thanks! I went ahead and purchased the Source Orb Slim. I really can't find any negative reviews of it, everybody seems to love this thing, I and think it will be a great starting pen. It is nice to know that if I find the pen to large I can find a smaller battery and use it.

TheGoat,

FlimsyKnuckle

Great thanks! I went ahead and purchased the Source Orb Slim. I really can't find any negative reviews of it, everybody seems to love this thing, I and think it will be a great starting pen. It is nice to know that if I find the pen to large I can find a smaller battery and use it.

Bingo. It is a great place to start. Just be warned, if you vape all day, you may want a couple batteries anyway... especially when using that Terra.

FlimsyKnuckle,

TheGoat

There isn't much information about charging these things. I assume when the light on the charger turns green it is finished charging. What about when it blinks from red to green

TheGoat,

Bad Ocelot

I've had mixed luck with those chargers. The smaller USB ones without the wire seem to hold up better. The ones with the wire seem to short out rather easily.

Bad Ocelot,

PM710

I use 10-20W, as high as I am able for the terra atomizer.

Three of the atomizers in the image above start small fires if you turn them on at 3.3v with the orb top removed.

Poor quality control and poor customer service should be expected when purchasing a source orb, but they are nice for what they are.
M

I have gone through 6 terra atomizers and 5 dual coil atomizers (v2). 1 of each died before being able to put 2g through it. For the rest, I quit using them after 2g because of reduced performance. I tried multiple cleaning methods multiple times but was unable to get them to perform like new again. Despite this, my opinion of the source orb is still high because I like that the atomizer is the same diameter as a 14mm male glass connection.

I included a photo below to illustrate the poor build quality of brand new v2 dual coil atomizers. Note the inconsistencies in terms of the lengths of the ceramic rods and the number and spacing of coils around each rod.

55zsNZT.jpg

mod note: Edited to embed image

Why do these coils keep catching on fire? Does it happen because two coils touch? It happens at both low and high voltages and with multiple batteries.

PM710,

Bad Ocelot

I've never had them catch fire & used Source V2's for about a year & a half. I'd typically clean them after a week or so of use by soaking in ISO & while that didn't make them "like new" again they were definitely useable. After a couple or three cycles of use & cleaning they'd be pretty gunked up & flavor would be pretty bad, but all in all that's a decent life for an atomizer.

I only used them with the Source VV batteries though, which max out at 4.8v. I was contemplating getting another orb & some V3 quartz terras for my box mod, but this post makes me reticent. Did you only get the small fire with the old ceramic ones or has it happened with the new quartz ones as well?

Bad Ocelot,

FlimsyKnuckle

The only "Fire" I get (I put it in quotes because it is controlled) I get are when the atty gets gunked up and combusts because it is touching the coil and can get dry.

If this the fire you speak of?

FlimsyKnuckle,

Bad Ocelot

I know the gunk you speak of, ha. I guess I ended up tossing them before they started actually burning

Bad Ocelot,

PM710

Brand new atomizers are catching on fire no matter what the battery. Mostly it is just the ones with the really bad builds that is why I thought it might be caused because of overlapping coils. Typically a package of 5 has at least 2 where the atomizer itself des not catch fire.

PM710,

Danksta

I just received my Source Vapes Flosstradamus package in the mail today. I ordered direct from the Source website.

Unfortunately when I unscrewed the upper part of the mouth piece I found some disturbing materials present.

First there is some sort of gross sticky substance on the bottom of the upper mouth piece part. Feels like some sort of glue or adhesive and I have no idea what it is or why it is present.

nqNBHFc.jpg

Second the threading on the upper mouthpiece has some sort of black substance in it. Maybe this is the same black glaze used to coat the exterior? There is a little bit in the threads on the mouthpiece part just below it as well. This was harder to capture in a picture.

KOfVFyP.jpg

Really bummed that a $120 vaporizer arrives this way. I'll try to clean the mouthpiece and threads with iso but I now have serious concerns about contamination of the air path.

Did anyone else have a vape from Source arrive in this condition? First impression of Source Vapes definitely a negative one.

I got my set Saturday and mine looks nice and polished. Sorry to see how yours arrived. I'd be upset too. Did you contact them?

So far I'm enjoying the Orb XL. I think it's the best tasting pen I've used. I have a puffco and galaxy to compare. I'm really enjoying the 3 gr1 Ti coils. With the battery turned all the way up you can get some pretty strong hits. This power does come with a price though. I burn through concentrate a lot faster with this. It's so fun to use it's hard to put down.

Got 20% with coupon HIGHTIMES.

Overall pleased with my purchase.

Danksta,
Reactions: poonman

Danksta

At lower settings , does it still devour product so quickly?

Not as quickly, but it devours. Just the price you pay when you use 3 coils. You just have to adjust and get used to taking less hits than your current single or dual coil pen. One big pull off of this should set you straight more than other pens.

I just have to work on my self control lol

Danksta,

TheGoat

What is the most efficient way to hit these pens. I have been using the dual quartz atomizer, on 3.8V, with all air holes open. Have you found it better to feather the button or hold and hit until it starts blinking (usually like 8 seconds I think).

TheGoat,
Reactions: Dave_Au

Danksta

What is the most efficient way to hit these pens. I have been using the dual quartz atomizer, on 3.8V, with all air holes open. Have you found it better to feather the button or hold and hit until it starts blinking (usually like 8 seconds I think).

I prefer to have all the air holes all the way open. I think you get the best taste that way.

The best method I've found so far is pulsing for a few seconds to let vapor build up, then pulse again when you go to hit it.

Do you cough on these coils? I did when I first got them and I still am. It concerns me a bit. The same concentrates in other atomizers don't make me cough, but the orb does. I've read they use cheap Ti (learned that after I bought it). Not sure if that's the reason.

I think I may look into their other atomizers. I think the 3 coils may be overkill. I hate to say that, but 2 may be a more comfortable experience.

I'm not a fan of coughing this much.

Danksta,

Bad Ocelot

I've used the dual coil ones for a while. Three seems like it would be too much. With the dual coil & a fresh load I'll give it a ~3sec warm up then let off the button for maybe half a second, press again & hold while a take a hit. I typically use Vaped's nano vubbler with the Source dual coil & it generally results in a pretty smooth hit, though I can hold it down too long & blow my head off if I'm not paying attention. I've gotten pretty adept at avoiding that though, ha.

Top Bottom