Sore throat

vfrman1

Hi Folks. New member and new at vaping as well ( 3 months) and more times than not I get a really sore throat during and after vaping. Using the bags with my extreme Q and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I know this sounds almost stupid but man i can feel the vape hitting my throat and it hurts most times. Been smoking recreational for 40 years ( yes i'm old) but as stated new to vaping. I vape at the high end of the temp spectrum , have tried lower temps but all seems the same. This occurs with multiple strains Ive tried as well. Not sure whats up with the sore throat thing , any comments and help appreciated.
btw love this forum very informative ....
Dude

vfrman1,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
To me vapor can be harsh in a dry way, never from heat like smoke though, the temperature being lower since no combustion taking place. Have you tried water filtration?

invertedisdead,

BeardedCrow

I also smoked cannabis for 20 years and have been vaping the past couple of years. I think combustion is easier on my throat as well and only vape when I need it portable.

BeardedCrow,

hinglemccringleberry

I don't know anything about the Extreme Q but if it's compatible with a water piece, get one and use it with some ice cold water. Makes a huge difference. I use my old glass bong with my new vape, works like a charm with the right adapter.
I also smoked cannabis for 20 years and have been vaping the past couple of years. I think combustion is easier on my throat as well and only vape when I need it portable.
That's completely backwards to me but to each his own. I refuse to smoke period anymore after doing it for 15 years. The last time I smoked a hit was 2 months after fucking combustion and there was instant throat irritation---it reminded me of why I quit and started vaping only.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: vfrman1

Squiby

I have consumed weed for over 40 years. Toking has always irritated my throat and lungs. When I started vaping the irritation was noticeably less but still there none the less.

Two things have changed this for me; the vape I use and the way I toke.

I now use the Vapcap exclusively. The device is tiny but very deceiving. The vapor is somehow smoother and cooler than any other vape that I've tried. I LOVE this beautifully engineered device.

I used to toke joints and then later vapes by inhaling the vapor directly into my lungs as I took a draw. The classic toke technique. Sucking and inhaling simultaneously. I was fortunate enough to learn another technique here on FC that has been a dream come true. No more throat irritation or tight wheezey chest for me once I ditched the classic toke for the mouth pull.

It goes like this...

Pull the vapor into your mouth but do not inhale. Pull like you're sucking a thick milkshake through a straw. As you fill your mouth with vapor, open your mouth to bring in fresh air as you inhale the vapor and fresh air into your lungs. When I smoked cigarettes, this is how I pulled a drag.

I now enjoy consuming weed more than ever. No more sore throat, no more tight chest. Nothing but smooth flavorful vapor.

PS: I also have added a circle of degummed hemp fiber to the bottom of my bowl. This prevents any miniscule bits from being inhaled or just gunking up my vape. A filter has the added benefit of keeping your vape clean for an astonishingly long time.

Last edited:

vfrman1

Hey thx for all the prompt replies kids :-) Squiby i will try your Technic as it involves no cash outlay lol just sayin. Thx again everyone and keep the ideas and thoughts flowing !!!!!

Last edited:
vfrman1,
Reactions: Squiby

vfrman1

where would i get the hemp filter from Squiby? Wouldn't mind giving that a try as well

vfrman1,

Baron23

Squiby

Thx Baron23 for the links. 5 bucks for product 13 for shipping grrr. Anything in canada?

I would highly recommend purchasing a Vapcap with your hemp fiber to offset the shipping costs. The Vapcap line of vaporizers are simply genius. Expert engineering, unbelievable efficiency and stunning asthetics now have made the Vapcap my one and only. I think that everyone should have at least one! Or two. Just saying...

Anyway. Here is my technique for creating a hemp fiber filter...

Take a few inches of degummed hemp fiber.
p7vVxSX.jpg

Moisten one end and twist it between your fingers, like you are preparing to thread a needle. Place one end between your thumb and index finger and wind it round and round between your two fingers to create a flat round filter.
l70Hzpn.jpg

Stuff this into the bottom of your bowl. This filter will effectively remove any tiny particles that may otherwise get through your screen and into your lungs. It also keeps your condenser surprisingly clean and clear of debris.

Baron23

On the original subject of sore throats...I smoked Marlboro Reds for 40 years, smoke cannabis for even a bit longer. Now, no tobacco and vape only on cannabis.

So, I have a well seasoned throat and still found when I started vaping that I would irritate my throat and lungs. Particularly with my Volcano which is a bag vape.

I'm pretty convinced its because of the extreme dryness of vapor and in particular with a bag you will vape a higher volume of hot air that otherwise. Perhaps not as hot as a direct draw type vape, but lots of it and real dry.

I'm a big fan of water pieces....bongs, banger hangers, bubblers and the like. I warm the water first and find the vapor to be much more moist. Downside is loss of some flavor and I'm sure that I lose some cannabinoids but it doesn't seem significant. On the flavor front, glass that doesn't have a ton of diffusion regain some of the flavor, but still.....its a trade off...smoother vapor or full of flavor.

By the by, I seem to have gotten a bit used to it all over time cause I really don't get the harsh throat experience I did when I started vaping.

Good luck.

EverythingsHazy

Ice water in a bong definitely cools the vapor, but I think very warm water does a better job at making it much smoother (@lwien ), by adding a good deal of humidity to it. I don't think that heat is the only thing that makes vapor irritating to mucous membranes, so cooling it down won't necessarily resolve the issue. It might help a bit though, if you are used to hitting very hot vapor straight from your unit, like with a direct draw vaporizer.

vfrman1

Where would one put the degummed hemp filter on the extreme Q on top of the cyclone bowl filter? or below it?

vfrman1,

herbalist33

Where would one put the degummed hemp filter on the extreme Q on top of the cyclone bowl filter? or below it?

I would put the hemp fiber in the elbow screen (the basket shaped one) that sits above the herb. This way it filters any particles in the vapour stream, before it fills your balloon.

Personally, I also found when I switched to vaping that my throat could get very irritated from vapour. I especially found this with my EQ, but usually only when I would be hitting lots of high temp bags (215c +). These days, if I ever break out the EQ, I step from 160c to 210c, but don't go any higher. I havnt experienced any problems with EQ this way, but very rarely use it.

I havnt experienced throat irritation in quite some time now, and I'm not exactly sure what has changed. Maybe it was just my throat needed a few months to adjust to the dryer hits from vapour.

But I also agree with @Squiby , that I have a strong feeling that it was when I got my Vapcaps that I stopped getting a sore throat. I believe it's being able to draw into your mouth first before inhaling into your lungs (thus cooling and conditioning the vapour before it hits your throat/lungs) that really helps me in this respect. I smoked cigs for 15 years, and could never have drawn a drag from a cig straight into my lungs like I do with say an enano.

Peace

herbalist33,

SingedFringe

I have similar problem with volcano. I used it with a bong (d020). i do about 3 bags a session. each bag is probably about 5 air intakes, then its empty. I use setting temp 5. so 3 bags is about 15 air intakes. Compare this to lotus with do20, then i do fewer intakes (since 2 heat cycles) per bowl, maybe 4 bowls worth , so 8 air intakes. So roughly half as many air intakes. Taste is far better with lotus, volcano is a bit tasteless, more dry. also draw resistance is higher with volcano. I wonder if these are main reasons throat feels rougher when using volcano. I wonder if a herb / rosin sandwich with lotus / d020 would be perfect vape, since then i might only need 2 air intakes. Is there a vape out there that can achieve desired affect with one hit.

SingedFringe,
Reactions: vfrman1

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Be sure to have a nice and soothing cup of sage tea with honey when vaping.
I have to drink when vaping and found this combination perfect. :)
Had bad colds and sore throats before...

vapen00b,

SingedFringe

will try that thanks. strange why it does that with volcano. maybe i should just whack it to 6 or 7 and do one bag, give that a try before i think about selling it.
yeah had a couple of daily colds recently, there's no way my immune system has weakened due to herb won't accept that :).

SingedFringe,

strictly vapor

Same experience with my volcano classic (easy valve, temps 4.5-6). Water difusion helps a bit but not as much as with other vapes. I think it could be the amount of product in the easy valve causing a harsher experience. That being said i find the mighty can be harsh as well so maybe storz n bickel in general, although i must say i love using them! I ALWAYS filter my extreme q thru water, heres a link to the chinese hydratube ive been using: http://m.dhgate.com/product/high-quality-26cm-tall-glass-bong-mouthpiece/262624940.html#pd-019
This combined with the extreme q has been my most used setup. To use this with the q you will need an 18mm male to 18mm male adapter.

strictly vapor,
Reactions: Vapestein

SingedFringe

the extreme q sounds like a great desktop for the price (just been reading reviews about it), and with that glass can imagine smooth hits. Only negative with my lotus is the avb is unevenly roasted sometimes, so a bit wasteful. Might have to put that combo on my radar.

Top Bottom