SONY 4600mah Batteries are FAKE

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
To clarify, you haven't got the fake ones yet? I'm curious what they actually test out as.

When I searched for "Sony 4600 NiMH" I found them listed for sale on several Asian websites, but nowhere else except that eBay listing. Since the jump from current batteries on the market to that one was so large I was surprised, especially when you said "Sony" claimed they were LSD. Clearly he'd say anything to get a sale. That was doubly suspicious because the pictured packaging did not mention that they were pre-charged, and I've never seen LSD batteries for sale uncharged.

Thanks for taking the hit for the rest of us, StonedPony.

ETA Oops bad unintentional pun. I'd apologize but I would have made it intentionally anyway...

pakalolo,

StonedPony

Chicken Plucker
WatTyler said:
well good thing is Paypal is giveing me my money back.........the batteries just got here a few minutes ago......they seem to have a bit of charge.....calling my son now and have him b ring is meter over to put a load on em and test........worst case is say 2000mah batts.......and if so well I got em for free then...LOL......but now we know .............and 4800 just scrameing at ya.....wish they were real....fuck.........ok laters guys........I try to be upfront and as honest as I can about vapes and all the reagalia taht goes with em.........laters.

StonedPony,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
SmokingElectricity said:
should of waited to do your video till after you tested the batteries...

He can do another one. Pretty sure I would have done the same thing: get the word out immediately.

pakalolo,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I had researched them after you posted in LB thread about them and had read there were fakes out there. Man...I was hoping they were real. Thanks for posting. Let us know what you discover about them.

Lo,

MG23

Relaxin'
Mine got here today and won't even charge for more than 3 seconds. Dunno if I'll get a refund since two are peeled.

Sent the eBay seller a message. Pretty disappointed man, I was looking forward to these bitches all week.
Guess it's my fault for not being able to wait until you came back with a report on them.

MG23,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
charliedontsurf said:
A little off topic, someone should give that awesome old man a forum invite.

Sure thing.

Hey StonedPony - Get yer ass in here!

AGBeer,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
charliedontsurf said:
A little off topic, someone should give that awesome old man a forum invite.

He's younger than me, you impertinent young whippersnapper. Get the hell off my lawn.

pakalolo,

Lo

lol.. I guess Charlie didn't realize it was you in the video StonedPony...cracked me UP!

Seriously...thanks for taking one for the team and letting us know about the batts being fake!! It's a bummer but better people know so they don't get taken. Glad Paypal is refunding you too!

Lo,

MG23

Relaxin'
Okay so yesterday I emailed the eBay seller about the item and received a full refund today.

Here is the response I got.

"Hi, Thank you I bought a whole lot from a RELIABLE source, and I never bought anything fake from them. I used this batteries myself but what I found out that they have be charged with a HIGH CAPACITY CHARGER,I tried with a regular charger that i bought, and only charged for only 30 to 40 minutes so I looked into the charger and i found out that is only output 1600 am and those batteries they need to be charge with a charger of 4600 to 5000 am I have no problem refunding u the money and u can keep the batteries if it haPPENS that u get the right charger you will be more then happy with those batteris. Thank you in advance and again sorry for the inconvenience."

Dunno if this is accurate information or not, probably not, but I got a full refund without even sending back the batteries so it's cool with me either way I suppose.

MG23,

StonedPony

Chicken Plucker
MattyGTwenty3 said:
Okay so yesterday I emailed the eBay seller about the item and received a full refund today.

"Hi, Thank you I bought a whole lot from a RELIABLE source, and I never bought anything fake from them. I used this batteries myself but what I found out that they have be charged with a HIGH CAPACITY CHARGER,I tried with a regular charger that i bought, and only charged for only 30 to 40 minutes so I looked into the charger and i found out that is only output 1600 am and those batteries they need to be charge with a charger of 4600 to 5000 am I have no problem refunding u the money and u can keep the batteries if it haPPENS that u get the right charger you will be more then happy with those batteris. Thank you in advance and again sorry for the inconvenience."

Dunno if this is accurate information or not, probably not, but I got a full refund without even sending back the batteries so it's cool with me either way I suppose.
I got the same word for word response from them to. ISabel I think is name useing. What a liar.....but Paypal beat her to the punch on canceling out the payment for me. I filed a major complaint with ebay about her so I dought if they will be selling the batts much longer.....I have her set in my favorites just to keep an eye out .lol

StonedPony,

MG23

Relaxin'
StonedPony said:
MattyGTwenty3 said:

I got the same word for word response from them to. ISabel I think is name useing. What a liar.....but Paypal beat her to the punch on canceling out the payment for me. I filed a major complaint with ebay about her so I dought if they will be selling the batts much longer.....I have her set in my favorites just to keep an eye out .lol

Haha I didn't want to jump to the conclusion she knew they were fake, since she had pretty much perfect feedback it seemed a lot more likely that she bought them not knowing they were fake as well.
Either way if it gets her to remove the listing I guess its a good thing you opened a case about it.

MG23,

Lo

Lo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Lo said:
Okay I don't know a ton about batteries and charging but between LB and ecigs...I've learned a bit here and there. Generally a lower rated charger just takes a lot longer to charge a battery, particularly a higher MAH battery.

Google search finds comments about fake batts...dating back a ways too:

http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44545

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/212093/+120

http://ipohchai.com/the-chinese-could-fake-everything.php

You're right about the charger.

You got me wondering how my own Googles didn't tell me about the fakes. I'm not sure what your terms were, but it turned out I simply searched for "sony 4600 battery". This turns up a lot of hits for a Sony camcorder battery and a few sites selling what we now know are the fakes. If I weren't so lazy, I would have qualified the term further with "aa" and probably seen the links that exposed them.

Currently, if you ask the Googles for "sony 4600 battery" you get Stonedpony all over the place warning people that they are fake. That dude is everywhere.

Edited to make it understandable...

pakalolo,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
pakalolo said:
You got me wondering how my own Googles didn't tell me about the fakes. I'm not sure what your terms were, but it turned out I simply searched for "sony 4600 battery".

On the left of the google results page there's a list- it's set to 'everything' by default, but also has images, videos, news etc. If you click 'more' to expand the menu, and then choose 'discussions' you find more forum results like Lo's. at least that's how I found the same pages with v basic search terms.

WatTyler,

VapeOnline.com

Retailer
If your going to buy batteries online, always look for the weight. One dead giveaway on the actual milli-amp-hours (mah) is the weight, the heavier it is the more mah. a good quality 2000mah is around 26g, and a good quality 1200ish is around 15g. So if you see a 4000mah that weighs 15g it's really a 1200 if it's lucky

VapeOnline.com,
Top Bottom