Some questions re: SSV & Plenty burnoff, using whole nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluBerry

Hello everyone. :wave:

I just had some quick questions and after using the search function couldn't seem to find what I wanted to know. I will apologize in advance because I bet these questions probably get posted ad nauseam. I recently have stopped combusting all together and moved over to the vape nation. My only vaporizer has been a Pax, and while I haven't been the happiest with it, I assume thats from operator error.

When I use the Pax its normally 8-10 hits, ( on default temp 390 ) I add keif as well. Starting to get an irritation when swallowing and a little ear pain ( next day ) assume its from over use / too hot or dense of vapor / vaping too often. Probably went through about 10+ "ovens" yesterday. Have been drinking water between hits etc.

I found FC while researching desktop units and ended up buying a SSV & the Plenty, I couldn't decide between the two so I got both. The two units are supposed to arrive tomorrow morning and I was curious if I should leave them running for awhile to burn off any oil or other substances used in manufacturing. Does anyone recommend this or do this themselves?

Yesterday I was smoking herb in the pax that hadn't been through the grinder. Felt far less efficient then using ground up stuff, but seemed to work well enough. Does anyone have any experience using whole plant matter in either the SSV or Plenty? I know both recommend grinding and I plan to, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks! :)

BluBerry,

HugieLewis

I'm not an expert but I have a strong opinion
I can only offer advice on the SSV.

I let mine burn off @the highest setting for 10-15 minutes. Not sure it was entirely necessary but it was good for peace of mind. As for using un-ground herb....it works just not as well. I would recommend grinding before use. Personally I don't grind my herb super fine but others might.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I edited your title to make it more informative.

There is nothing lost by doing a heat cycle or two except a little time. I do it for every new unit. While you're doing it, use a strong light to check for any traces of off-gassing. Even if a brand doesn't normally need this, you can never be sure about any specific unit.

Few vapourizers perform well with whole nuggets; however, I can't comment on these two since I've not used either of them.

pakalolo,
Reactions: BluBerry

Curiousone

Crazy you bought both...I was between those two also, but ultimately I didn't want the long whip so I went with the plenty.

I did do a burnoff period on max temp for about 10-15 minutes. I suggest a good grind on material for best results...

Couple tips and tricks:
1. The OEM screens for the Plenty are a bit smaller than round 1.25" screens. You cannot find exact size unless you buy S&B branded. Price runs about $10 for three. If you are willing to trim the screens to size, you can buy 100 for about $12 on ebay.
2. The liquid pads are very useful when using loads smaller than .3g. SImply load material and place pad on top to act as a spacer.
3. You can use the brush as a stand. insert the handle end into the hole on the opposite side of the temp gauge...very near the same location. it will prop the plenty up (someone else figured this out and posted in the plenty thread)

Last edited:
Curiousone,
Reactions: BluBerry

Curiousone

No problem...enjoy them.

The Plenty can def be a beast, so ease into it, lol.

Curiousone,

max

Out to lunch
BluBerry said:
Does anyone have any experience using whole plant matter in either the SSV or Plenty?
It's inefficient. There are very few vapes designed to use chunks instead of ground (herbalAire and Vapolution are the only ones that come to mind). You'll get much better hits if you grind, and it doesn't need to be a fine grind. Use chunks and you'll have to bust 'em up eventually anyway, or you'll end up getting some nasty taste (vaping ABV while getting to the 'inner unvaped herb') or wasting herb because you haven't vaped it through by the time you dump it.

max,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom