Solo Reclaim and ABV - Will this work?

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I posted this in the Solo thread but didn't receive much of a response so I'm posting here where it may be more appropriate. Mods - Not sure if I'm breaking a rule here ......
I like the idea of the milk, cream, hot chocolate approach to capturing the Solo stem's build up. In one of the references a strainer is used as one of the final steps. I'm wondering if anyone has combined the Solo stem's capture method with some ABV to increase potency?

I'm thinking of using the Solo reclaim, removing the stem and then adding some ABV and simmering for another 5 minutes and then straining. Anyone tried this? Should I simmer longer?

I'd also like to know if I could wait for this mixture to cool off and then pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze it so it won't go bad for a few weeks/months. I could then use a cube every now and then for coffee, etc. without worrying that it will go bad. Would the freezing harm the potency?

His_Highness,
Reactions: vaplen

His_Highness

I finally have a free day to try the experiment I mentioned in the original post. I wish I had gotten some feedback on my questions but hey...that's why its an experiment. The starting info I'm using is from the following link: http://imgur.com/a/2t9DD

The goal is to take the build up of condensed vapor from the Solo stems, add ABV and then create ice cubes from the mixture so that the shelf life will be several years.

QUESTIONS:
- I've read enough threads about ABV to note that it can be used as is in capsules or sprinkled on oatmeal. There are also many threads where folks heat it, boil it, etc. in oil based liquids as well and imply the oil and heat releases more goodies.
--> Should I boil the ABV in the Solo Milk Mixture and then strain OR should I just boil it and not strain it? If straining the ABV would leave some goodies out I'll boil it and not strain it.
- Anyone tried to freeze the result like this and if so how did it work out?

Mods..Please excuse the double post but the edit option for the first/original post was not available.....

His_Highness,

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
Thanks for that link to the infused milk pics - very interesting! I never thought of infusing directly to milk/cream.

Far as adding the ABV, the whole idea is to infuse the milk by binding the cannaboids to the fat molecules in the milk. Once the infusion is done, most (if not all) of the good stuff should be transferred into the milk mixture, so I'd strain out the remaining ABV solids.

The infusion process itself occurs during the simmering, so I'd try to prolong that as long as possible. I would probably use a double-boiler (you can easily McGuyver one) so I could infuse for a longer time (at least 15 mins) without fear of burning it. When my friends infuse butter, they simmer it for 3-4 hours, but based on other's experiences, I'm not sure it needs to be for that long.

Every time I've frozen "milk", I get a seperation of some of the water (it can become icey), but other than that, freezing should be fine.

Hey, be sure to let us know how well it works!

Solomon,

His_Highness

Far as adding the ABV, the whole idea is to infuse the milk by binding the cannaboids to the fat molecules in the milk. Once the infusion is done, most (if not all) of the good stuff should be transferred into the milk mixture, so I'd strain out the remaining ABV solids.

I would probably use a double-boiler (you can easily McGuyver one) so I could infuse for a longer time (at least 15 mins) without fear of burning it. When my friends infuse butter, they simmer it for 3-4 hours, but based on other's experiences, I'm not sure it needs to be for that long.

Every time I've frozen "milk", I get a seperation of some of the water (it can become icey), but other than that, freezing should be fine.

THANKS SOLOMAN! This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for....I will definitely take your advice and go double-boiler for safety/duration and unless someone else has a different view of straining out the ABV solids left over after boiling I'll use that advice as well.

His_Highness,
Top Bottom