Solo or Air? There can be only one (for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashish

Hi guys,

Long time listener but first time caller here at FC. I'm hoping you lovely and knowledgeable people can help me out with a tough decision regarding the Arizer Solo and the Arizer Air...

After much deliberation and research, I narrowed down my next vape purchase to the Arizer Solo (2014 model) and promptly bought one the following day. A day later, due purely to crippling indecision, I purchased an Air as well, the idea being that I would return one and keep the other. Now, I am aware just how similar these two units are, and although outdoors portability isn't a requirement, indoor portability and subtlety is rather important to me (due to housemates), and both these units seem perfectly suitable for me. Keeping both units is out of the question, primarily because I feel like I'd be doubling up unnecessarily. Sadly (and very importantly) I cannot try them out for myself before deciding which to keep (because obviously I can't return a used vape for a refund).

For what it's worth, my current daily driver is a Volcano but since I almost always partake alone I find it a bit of a pain in the ass to set up, the time it takes to get sufficiently medicated is too long, and I resent the amount of botanical I need to use in order for a decent air-to-vapour ratio to be attained. For these reasons (as well as some others) I'd like to put my Volcano in semi-retirement and promote either the Air or the Solo (depending on your input in this thread) to pole position as my new daily driver.

With all that said, my question is this: given the choice I have in front of me, which would you keep? For simplicity's sake let's assume they both cost the same (the price difference here in Australia is negligible anyway), I'll be using the unit for about 30 mins a day (roughly two or three sessions), and I'll always have both a power outlet and a spare battery (in the case of the Air) within reach during every session.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ash

TL;DR - Bought a Solo and an Air, but I can only keep one. Don't care about portability and price isn't an issue. Which should I keep? Why?

Ashish,

solodolo420

I would go with the Air. It is smaller, interchangeable batteries, and you can use it while it's plugged in. The airflow is also increased over the solo and the air has 3 o-rings keeping the stem nice and tight. And with the carrying case with the stem caps, it made it much easier to pre-pack my stems and take it wherever, around the house or out and about.

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
You got one argument for the Air. I'm going to play devil's advocate here and tell you to go with the Solo. For one, it has a better battery life, so you'll be up and running (up and vaping?) longer between charges. Two, with 7 temperature settings opposed to the Air's 5 settings, you have a little bit finer control over the temperature. Three, since you have the 2014 model you can use it while it's plugged in charging (making the pro for the Air mentioned above technically a moot point). Four, it's a tried and true design -- it has undergone slight improvements over the last four years to fix any design flaws that were present to begin with. The Air has only been out for a quarter of the time and thus hasn't had as much time to be "tested" so to speak.
With that said, they are both an excellent choice. Since you don't care about portability and will always be next to a power outlet, they're really about equal IMHO. You would love either one of them, I am sure. Since I own a Solo and not an Air, I would lean slightly toward the Solo just because I know with certainty that it won't disappoint.

The important thing here is to just pick one already, so you can try it out and experience how amazing it is for yourself! ;)

Last edited:

lazylightning

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I bought a Solo last year, but when the Air came out I decided to get one because of the size. I really appreciate the smaller and lighter form factor, even if I'm just inverting it on a bubbler. I haven't found a good reason to use the Solo in the several weeks I've owned the Air.

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
Haven't used either but I vote air. For purpose above, I would imagine it is easier to use with a bubbler (obvi don't know that tho) You also never know when you'll wanna head out and take it with you... You've had a volcano so have never had the desire too much but with the possibilities, why not

vapebuddy13,
Reactions: Ashish

McSheamus

I have both. I come to see them as the same. I find no difference what so ever. (Or i don't see it)

The Air has a nicer touch to it. It's nice to hold it.

The Solo has a sturdier body. It has fallen twice and the second time I wasn't even worried. My first thought was: It doesn't matter, he can take it. (Was only a drop of half a meter, but still...)

Oh yeah, without the silicon skin of the Air, the plastic around the heating chamber can become very hot after 2 sessions in a row (session=time till auto shutoff).
The Solo takes alot more to becoming as hot. (Sturdier body)

So the Solo is a working beast that can take a beating and remains cooler than the Air.

The Air is much lighter and nicer to hold. More portable. That's it.

Mr. Whitewall

I only own the Solo, but if you are tight on budget my advice is to get the cheapest, the extra $ will be wasted on capabilities you may not need, as @McSheamus hints. Save the money for future VAS/GAS/accesories purchases!

Still, you can't go wrong with a Solo. Sorry, don't mean to be a fanboy, but I have used it with ice-o-lator (cotton sandwich technique) double deckers, etc. And it still amazes me after a year and a half of owning one; it is a little workhorse no doubt. May also pair up nicely with fancier stuff down the road, as it did for me.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I own the Solo and the Air and I like both. But if I were to choose one and stealth wasn't a factor I would choose the Solo. I think in the long run the Solo will hold up better. They are both good units but if you were to drop the Air I don't think it would hold up like the Solo. You can always purchase a new battery after a few years. The new Solos the battery lasts over 2 hours brand new. It will degrade over time. I think you can look at years and years of reliability from your Solo.

There was an FC member who said that his Solo was run over by a pick up truck in the snow and it still worked. He even had pictures. It was a little bent up, but it worked.

There are so many ways to use either unit far as glass pieces and bubblers are concerned. It's too bad you can't keep both.:2c::leaf::peace:

Last edited:

rosedale

I'm not sure how subtle you're trying to be with your housemates but the Air is much more pocketable given its size.

Personally, I just prefer the Air because it has similar performance but I feel that it is more versatile. It is more portable/stealthy (even if that feature is rarely used, it is nice to have) and has interchangeable batteries but can still plug in.

For what it's worth, I think that you are on the right track dumping one of these. They are both good vapes but they play the same role. you could get a desktop vape or something that is ultra portable to go with whichever one you keep instead of essentially duplicating. My two cents.

BOBCAT

Its Just Temporary
Cant speak for the Air because I don't own one.But I do have 2 solos which are rock solid,and I like the hand feel and the weight of the unit.

BOBCAT,
Reactions: Derrrpp

olivianewtonjohn

Unless you are positive it will get 0 outdoor use, I always recommend the air over the solo. Reason being is with two batteries the air is basically the same as the solo. The air can basically do what the solo does but the solo cant exactly do what the air does. If that makes sense? I find it to be the more versatile vaporizer, smaller and looks like an ecig but at home with an extra battery and my efast luc V4 charger it feels just like the solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom