Soldering Iron stopped working

saxomax

Hi,
I have been reading posts from this website for a while but this is my first post.

My HQ-Solder/30 as just stopped working.. The digital display is ok (just shows 025c) but the soldering iron just wont heat up. I am sure I can buy parts but any idea how to find which part as broken. I guess you would need to have experiance with this iron to know but I just thought I would see if anyone can help.

Cheers Mike

saxomax,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Usually the failure with a soldering iron (and pretty much any element based product) comes from one of two places; the element itself, or the power supply. Not necessarily the one that would be running the LCD or other components; but the one that transfers the high voltage wall AC power into high current DC power for the element.

You could try buying and replacing the element; but unfortunately this requires you to use... a soldering iron. So unless you own more than one; your stuck buying a new soldering iron either way. If your interested in trying though, this is the element that your model uses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-HQ-SOLDER-HE-Heating-HQ-SOLDER20/dp/B008421O2O

saxomax

Thank you very much for your help and the link to the element. I have now bought one.

I have removed the old element to take a look. Their are 4 wires a blue a white a red and a black. I put a multimeter to the red and black and it read 28v so as theirs a voltage getting to the element I assume it must be the element thats faulty. Well its worth a try anyway.

Cheers Mike

saxomax,
Top Bottom