1. Thanks to some very special members we were able to help those in need.
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Soldering Iron stopped working

Discussion in 'DIY' started by saxomax, Nov 19, 2012.

1. saxomax

saxomax Member

Hi,
    I have been reading posts from this website for a while but this is my first post.

My HQ-Solder/30 as just stopped working.. The digital display is ok (just shows 025c) but the soldering iron just wont heat up. I am sure I can buy parts but any idea how to find which part as broken. I guess you would need to have experiance with this iron to know but I just thought I would see if anyone can help.

Cheers Mike
  2. CentiZen

CentiZen Evil Genius in Training Accessory Maker

Usually the failure with a soldering iron (and pretty much any element based product) comes from one of two places; the element itself, or the power supply. Not necessarily the one that would be running the LCD or other components; but the one that transfers the high voltage wall AC power into high current DC power for the element.

You could try buying and replacing the element; but unfortunately this requires you to use... a soldering iron. So unless you own more than one; your stuck buying a new soldering iron either way. If your interested in trying though, this is the element that your model uses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-HQ-SOLDER-HE-Heating-HQ-SOLDER20/dp/B008421O2O
    OhTheAgony likes this.
  3. saxomax

saxomax Member

Thank you very much for your help and the link to the element. I have now bought one.

I have removed the old element to take a look. Their are 4 wires a blue a white a red and a black. I put a multimeter to the red and black and it read 28v so as theirs a voltage getting to the element I assume it must be the element thats faulty. Well its worth a try anyway.

Cheers Mike

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors