1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Software question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cybrguy, Mar 16, 2018.

1. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

I don't know where to ask this, but I am wondering if putting lines of text under a spoiler tag reduces the size of the post (reducing paging) or just changes how it looks and won't help with paging. Anyone know?

asdf420 likes this.
  2. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

The spoiler tag actually adds more code - albeit very little. It won't help load pages any faster.

:peace:

Squiby and Summer like this.
  3. asdf420

asdf420 Well-Known Member

it's just a couple of kilobytes of difference. hardly makes a difference. The JS needed for the button would have more of a performance burden, but probably also insignificant

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Summer likes this.
  4. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Oh well. It was worth trying.

Summer likes this.
  5. asdf420

sorry, I misunderstood.
    I don't think the forum software takes the spoilers into consideration for how many posts there can be in a page, but it could, if modified?
    it's closed source so i have no idea of how it decides how many posts to put in a page. But it's not constant
    At least you have to scroll less on each page now.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Summer likes this.
  6. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

OK, so I created a test thread called "Experimental thread ignore" and I filled it with VERY VERY long spoilers that included images, and I still got to complete 25 posts before it went to another page. I then went and looked at several other threads and they all started the second page on the 26th post. So I am beginning to think that the software allows 25 posts to a page, no matter what the content of those posts...

So, I guess, what we really have is a situation where using a spoiler will reduce the scrolling for an individual page, but the number of posts is what determines a new page, not the amount of data the posts include.

asdf420 likes this.
  7. asdf420

OH
    haha, I thought that wasn't the case because I searched for the number of instances of "Location:" in each page and found it wasn't always the same. But not all users have a "Location:". Duh

cybrguy likes this.
  8. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

As further confirmation notice that the post number of the last post of any but the last page in a thread will be a multiple of 25.

And, BTW, if any Mods want to delete that experimental thread for wasting bandwidth it has served it's purpose and is no longer necessary. :)

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors