Soaking BHO extraction?

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi Guys, I would try to do bho extraction from kief with soaking method since I need 5 runs to extract all the goodies from my kief.

I remenber to read somewhere that a soaking method with a thermos is possible, do you already try it?
Do you have any info or link about the process, please?

PPN,

StickyShisha2

i'm no help with the tane, but i have seen kief "winterized" with alcohol. the shatter it made was amazingly strong.

StickyShisha2,
Reactions: ataxian

PPN

Volute of Vapor
i'm no help with the tane, but i have seen kief "winterized" with alcohol. the shatter it made was amazingly strong.

I'm considering to try this way cause it could be a pia and dangerous way to try to keep butane liquid in summer days.
For thie first try I want to "winterize" 20g of kief already blasted with tane several times (4 or 5 ) but I hope there is still goodies into (the first time I blasted it I packed 30g in my tube and after I think 5 extractions I get out 9 or 10g of oil of different quality, the better is the first 3 runs).

I don't expect a high quality product since the better is already extracted but it's just a try

PPN,
Reactions: 215z

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Ok I made that I explained in my previous post and I'm disappointed cause my final product is just good to eat, my filtered reclaim is better than this (it don't pass the foil test and can't be vaped in my vape pens or nail, only mixed with abv and it's not really strong).

I don't understand why but winterization didn't help at all, I put my ethanol/oil mix in freezer during 6 hours and filtered but there is no lot of wax/lipid in the coffee filter....

Perhaps I made a mistake but previous time I tried winterization it was a sucess but this time not (perhaps my freezer was not enough cold or I don't let it sit in enough time)

I eat 0.3-0.5 of this black oil and I feel good, not a big buzz but I think that I have a really high tolerance....

PPN,

z9

I use a mason jar soak for all my runs. Even in the summer I just put the jar in a bowl of ice and it keeps boiling to a minimum during my ~15 minute soak. Then I filter out the butane and do a quick ethonal wash and combine with my tane to get whatever was left behind in the bud/jar and make purging more effective.

However I will be buying a thermos for soaks within the next week because I seem to have misplaced some jars. I have my reservations about the lids on thermoses, the butane will be in direct contact with it while filling/spraying into the thermos. I guess I'll have to look for one with a stainless steel lid :shrug:. My pre drilled mason jar lid may create a tight enough seal with the thermos to prevent a loss of butane while filling but I doubt it. I suppose I could empty a can into a mason jar then pour into the thermos but at that point I think I'd just continue my soak in the jar.

z9,

kingtut106

You are already using keif which is a concentrate in itself, so there will be minimal plant waxes to filter out after winterizing, especially if the keif was blasted with butane 4/5 times prior. Butane is polar and will strip a lot more of the plant waxes compared to ethanol (non-polar)

I wouldn't bother winterizing keif, but I would get more screens/filters since keif is such as fine product.

kingtut106,
Top Bottom