so lets create the perfect portable vaporizer

Belgianvapor

Let's make it a bit more easy a little less difficult for vape manufacturers and show them what we think is a perfect vape.
I know this is difficult because everyone wants something different in a vape but lets try :

For me, I like a small form factor, a la pax or the (hopefully) soon to be zenpen, of course an
on par battery with today's standards, temp control, maybe charging trough usb?
What would interest me the most is some kind of small vape that can handle a good load (at least 0.2 grams or more) but that maybe has another oven that does flash heating a la mflb, thus giving you the choice between
longer sessions alone or with a friend or just one or two inhales on the go while not spending all your goodness in a still hot oven.. (two buttons, one to engage the flash heating and one for the big oven??)

So, chime in, give me your temps, form factor, material,...

Belgianvapor,

Belgianvapor

a vape that does both would be even better, so still the ascent is on top at this moment but it got size going against it if you want a small form factor

Belgianvapor,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I'm working on it. But given how much time I have to spend on my personal projects and the fact that I've got a couple others on the go means we probably got a while before I've got anything meaningful to discuss. But if I had a good amount of startup funding - I'd be making the best portable vaporizer the state of the art will allow. This is what it would be - so heres some free ideas for anyone reading this who may be in the position to make the holy grail.

I'm envisioning a similar mechanism to the Cloud, where we have a length of glass with the inner diameter constricted at points. However, I'm thinking that the actual heat transfer point should also be modified, with ground glass or a tight spiral score that the heating coil can sit inside of to maximize the heat transfer effect. This heating tube would be located directly below an all glass crucible area where the herb is inserted. This bowl area will be slightly conical, with a built in fritted screen. The conical design of the bowl is interesting because it maximizes the effectiveness of convection heat, allowing it to spread across more herb while the air is superheated, and then concentrating it back into a smaller mass near the end of the bowl once a considerable amount of the heat is lost. I got this idea from the MiniVAP cones.

However, while convection is important, there would also be a secondary heating coil surrounding the crucible/bowl area. This coil would keep the bowl hot either at or directly below vaporizing temperature. I've been intruiged by the concept of "Thermal Equilibrium" introduced by Enrico on the sublimator and want to see it implemented in an all-glass manner. But even then, I want to take it one step further.

There has been a great deal of work done in the touchscreen industry lately, to the point where even a hobbyist like myself can buy small, reliable touchscreens at a decent price. I'd like to implement one of the new Sharp Memory displays - they are a super readable, super low power black and white e-ink display that can be paired with a capacative digitizer for a really nice mini touchscreen. I'd put that on the vaporizer as the interface for the settings.

But I don't just want a vaporizer that lets me set the temperature it is at. I want the user to be able to individually control each heating coils temperature. I want to be able to not only adjust the temperature, but the total conduction/convection ratio to be able to change the vapor to suit exactly the kind of high I want. For example, I find myself using the cloud for the cerebral highs, while I go to the herbalaire for a couchlock. The difference in heating methods brings about a noticeably different experience, leading people to collect many vaporizers and switch between them depending on mood or requirements. I want to be able to simple adjust the settings on my vaporizer, and switch it from 100% convection to 100% conduction and anywhere in between.

All this would need to be powered by some high capacity batteries, to which I would employ Panasonics latest and greatest a three cell configuration providing quick heat up and long life. All in all it would end up pretty large, but it would be my ideal vaporizer, portable or otherwise.

vapomancer

I'm working on it. But given how much time I have to spend on my personal projects and the fact that I've got a couple others on the go means we probably got a while before I've got anything meaningful to discuss. But if I had a good amount of startup funding - I'd be making the best portable vaporizer the state of the art will allow. This is what it would be - so heres some free ideas for anyone reading this who may be in the position to make the holy grail.

I'm envisioning a similar mechanism to the Cloud, where we have a length of glass with the inner diameter constricted at points. However, I'm thinking that the actual heat transfer point should also be modified, with ground glass or a tight spiral score that the heating coil can sit inside of to maximize the heat transfer effect. This heating tube would be located directly below an all glass crucible area where the herb is inserted. This bowl area will be slightly conical, with a built in fritted screen. The conical design of the bowl is interesting because it maximizes the effectiveness of convection heat, allowing it to spread across more herb while the air is superheated, and then concentrating it back into a smaller mass near the end of the bowl once a considerable amount of the heat is lost. I got this idea from the MiniVAP cones.

However, while convection is important, there would also be a secondary heating coil surrounding the crucible/bowl area. This coil would keep the bowl hot either at or directly below vaporizing temperature. I've been intruiged by the concept of "Thermal Equilibrium" introduced by Enrico on the sublimator and want to see it implemented in an all-glass manner. But even then, I want to take it one step further.

There has been a great deal of work done in the touchscreen industry lately, to the point where even a hobbyist like myself can buy small, reliable touchscreens at a decent price. I'd like to implement one of the new Sharp Memory displays - they are a super readable, super low power black and white e-ink display that can be paired with a capacative digitizer for a really nice mini touchscreen. I'd put that on the vaporizer as the interface for the settings.

But I don't just want a vaporizer that lets me set the temperature it is at. I want the user to be able to individually control each heating coils temperature. I want to be able to not only adjust the temperature, but the total conduction/convection ratio to be able to change the vapor to suit exactly the kind of high I want. For example, I find myself using the cloud for the cerebral highs, while I go to the herbalaire for a couchlock. The difference in heating methods brings about a noticeably different experience, leading people to collect many vaporizers and switch between them depending on mood or requirements. I want to be able to simple adjust the settings on my vaporizer, and switch it from 100% convection to 100% conduction and anywhere in between.

All this would need to be powered by some high capacity batteries, to which I would employ Panasonics latest and greatest a three cell configuration providing quick heat up and long life. All in all it would end up pretty large, but it would be my ideal vaporizer, portable or otherwise.

wow .
I definitely think you should invest your time in this project . Are you picturing something that could sit comfortably on most water pieces , or more of a desktop vape ? Is the tight spiral glass coil something you've seen ( like a glycerin coil ) and , do you have any ideas as to the dimensions of the heating elements required to heat the coil and/or bowl ?
I'm trying to add something I'd want or need to your post - and all I've got is , " I want it to work on my Lev/M&M tech bong " ...

vapomancer,

killick

But I like it!
The only problem I see is 'perfect portable'. My idea of a perfect portable would be something I can take out in the woods for a week or two camping and exploring. I have solar panels for charging, and also a couple of portable batt packs, so juice isn't the issue.

I'm finding the Inhalater form factor works for me, but I also want something less session-oriented that I can wander around the shop with, pick up between tasks and it'll be ready - kinda like a can of pop was in the old days - sitting on the bench, waiting to get picked up. So thats what I'm hoping the Minivap will provide.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the perfect portable is, and adding it to some of my other perfect portables. It's always about the journey :)

killick,
Top Bottom