Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

steama

Got to play with some different material and dropped weight from 2.0 to 1.9 (four deuce runs). This material was more green and young and the rosin is quite a bit lighter in color. Getting ready to take a taste in about a minute or two.

:rockon:

Alltimenewhigh

My reasoning behind the slightly heavier load is that there is more pressure created and more rosin forced out. Also when pressing hash I load more like 1.3 grams and first load some flower to act as a filter. Works pretty well.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Got to play with some different material and dropped weight from 2.0 to 1.9 (four deuce runs). This material was more green and young and the rosin is quite a bit lighter in color. Getting ready to take a taste in about a minute or two.

Cool to see you back again ! 0.9 works best for me. I also agree that fresher brings lighter color. I would be cool if someone can make a Squish Diary in Pictures of how rosin color changes from the same material along the curing process :)).
I am feeling like i really worked down on a routine.I fashioned a handle out of cut your own lenght hose clamp and i am attaching a temp probe from my multimeter between the clamp and the slug,positioning its sensor to the front top.When it hits 140 i know it is around 105 on the inside,and it works every time. No more timing .. Also that way with the handle i can apply heat while it is away from the vise ,which is much more comfortable for me,also i dont have to do the close while heating thing,because it wont drop down if i dont do it :)).
Another thing that helps a lot is if apply heat to the backplate(Cleaver) at the area under the metal sheet,makes the drip further away from the slug,compared to when heat isnt applied :).

JohnnyMauser

I am feeling like i really worked down on a routine.I fashioned a handle out of cut your own lenght hose clamp and i am attaching a temp probe from my multimeter between the clamp and the slug,positioning its sensor to the front top.When it hits 140 i know it is around 105 on the inside,and it works every time. No more timing .. Also that way with the handle i can apply heat while it is away from the vise ,which is much more comfortable for me,also i dont have to do the close while heating thing,because it wont drop down if i dont do it :)).

Begging for Pics or a Vid, this sounds very interesting. Want to get a slugg.33 myself, but im unsure if i can work good with it. Thinking that my dynavap works similar, but a bit less complicated, i have a click there to hear when its ready...

JohnnyMauser,
Reactions: steama

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Finally got time to try again my Deuce... my 2 previous tries resulted in nothing we can speak about... so I bought a better-bigger torch (which is perfect for my Elev8r too), re-read a few times all the tips&tricks.... and got the things running well yesterday (yield is +10%), got a nice tasty wax but I think there is still a lot in the bud in regard of the oil I can see on the puck's side and there was a small blowout which was acting like a sponge on the wax.

But I'm seeing the light and since the bud I squished was far to be the best of my stash I expect some better yield using my best flowers and improving my technic.

Except for the trim I can see myself to use the Deuce as my main extraction process, solventless!

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-TM-902C-Digital-LCD-K-Type-Thermometer-Single-Input-Thermocouple-Probe/232812688934?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=532324303455&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Bought this to play around with was thinking how to mount the probe until abysmal answered my question. Do you think it will work?
To achieve similar results each time you gotta place the probe at a certain point ,and apply heat at another point .Best is if those two points are positioned as far from each other as possible. In my case ,on my side i apply the heat at the back of the slug as everybody does and position the probe on the front at the opposite side of the slug.
I think the perfect solution still will be having a small hole drilled in the slug and snug the probe inside :)).

PPN

Volute of Vapor
After another fail cause my mistake (Deuce wasn't correctly positionned :doh:) I get great success with the Cookie Kush I pressed lately, yield was 3x the amount of rosin I got from my previous tries, cause the strain but maybe cause I'm getting things better dialed too.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
How do, y’all! (Gawd, the older I get, the more I sound like my old-south ancestors)

The wait for new material is over, and the previews are good: feels dry, moist and slightly sticky when ground, and high confidence that I can pull it off this time. I’m resigned to establishing some grow space, as I fear I’ll be seeing more and more prehashed stuff pushed around here in the future, and honestly I don’t know if I’ll ever get a chance to press a genuinely unsieved, untumbled, unbubbled bud otherwise.

It’s a simple truth and I must accept it, I am one who needs much more cannabis available to me than I actually ever have. That will change if I can do anything about it.

Suddenly curious: has anyone forged raw fresh cannabis? Fresh-cured? I’d love to hear how those would work out.

mephisto

Dearest @ClearBlueLou, I have forged slightly flash frozen cured fresh cannabis and it is great. It seems like the extra water weight actually helps to pressurize the forge and rush the goodness out before the chlorophyll and waxes even know what is going on. I say "slightly flash frozen" because the medical grade freezer does not quite get to its -20 degree setpoint. Still less moisture than just plucked from the plant.
Please feel free to hit me up for suggestions on your planned self sufficiency. I have been off the black market for 25 years and I really get a thrill sharing the lessons learned.

Gonzo_Dabs

Y'all is a part if my lexicon and I'm in my 20s haha it's a geographical thing.

If I can get my situation to a certain point I may be able to grow my own despite the political climate of my home. As for now i am lucky enough to have good supply of decent bud.

As long as it is cured properly I would guess that would be the ideal material to work with. You could probably cure it specifically for use with the slug. I guess.

@abracadaver I would love some suggestions if you wouldn't mind. I've actually been curious about what exactly it would take to supply myself.

ClearBlueLou

I’m under the impression that conversations on growing are toe-over-line...maybe Stu can issue an opinion

ClearBlueLou,

mephisto

Its a slippery slope, we were initially discussing the forge and fresh material. I pushed the conversation into the 4B10 zone. Open conversation is encouraged in PM/DM. See you there.....y'all

steama

I have primarily returned my vaping base to flower. I find flower more soothing and relaxing, just more comfortable for me. I am currently only doing a dab or two about twice a week. I love my rosin dabs and would never give them up. Which brings me to my next point.

I am very grateful to @Nattybushdoctor for developing the slug33 rosin press. For a person like me, a thousand dollar press setup would never be worth it, money-wise, or the space required. Because of the slug33 I can have a dab anytime I wish in about 5-10 minutes, counting set-up time. The entire process is very fast and effective. The slug33 makes me much more independent when I want something different than flowers my slug33 is always ready to squish.

Thanks again @Nattybushdoctor

ClearBlueLou

Interesting news, BAS...I’m waiting for a window in which to forge some of the new batch. It’s taken a while to reload, but that’s given me time to learn things, like my spouse doesn’t like dabs; which means flowers for her, preferably in blunts. So I mostly smoke flower thru water with her, and otherwise I’m pressing ahead with the edible side of things. Dabs are on hold as a thing around here for now.

That said, can’t wait for that window to open, maybe tonight? Maui Gold is stepping up to the plate...

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I have primarily returned my vaping base to flower. I find flower more soothing and relaxing, just more comfortable for me. I am currently only doing a dab or two about twice a week. I love my rosin dabs and would never give them up. Which brings me to my next point.

I am very grateful to @Nattybushdoctor for developing the slug33 rosin press. For a person like me, a thousand dollar press setup would never be worth it, money-wise, or the space required. Because of the slug33 I can have a dab anytime I wish in about 5-10 minutes, counting set-up time. The entire process is very fast and effective. The slug33 makes me much more independent when I want something different than flowers my slug33 is always ready to squish.

Thanks again @Nattybushdoctor

Exactly my thoughts!

I'm a flower guy mainly but like concentrates for stealth hits (wax pens) or intense reliefs (dabs, convection dabs) so I'm using less than 2g/month.

Yesterday I loaded again my Deuce with the lower quality supposed weed I already tested without a great success.... idk why exactly but this run gave more than my best yield before this last squish (even with better weeds) but since I overheated slightly the Deuce, I can saw some fumes coming from the rosin in contact with the Deuce body. I think it was cause when I initially started to heat the Deuce I realized after 20s there wasn't enough fuel in my torch. So I stopped heating and filled again my torch and waited a few minutes before to start heating again...

Or maybe that's only I'm getting my technic right on point!

ClearBlueLou

My squish flopped. 0.157g.

Ah, well...turned out it wasn’t actually a different batch

ClearBlueLou,
Top Bottom