Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
It would have to be a lot I would think. Soft spongy flower presses very nice. During testing we would add a drop or two of water in with the flower as we packed it to see if it would add moisture to dry flower during the press, it did not. Blowout was the result.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Thanks, that was more like 20%-25%maybe, from 2 grams exactly. I thought it was going to be more as well, it made me wonder if there is different densities when it comes to rosin? Most all of our Cultivars press like this, around the 20% - 30% range, it's all outdoor flower, sun grown, organic and un handled flowers, jar cured.

Nattybushdoctor,
Reactions: -dab8-

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Man. I've got to get out west, I wish I could grow some cannabis outside. As far as rosin density, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Pine sap is a lot thicker and stickier than many other trees. Maybe there's some kind of correlation between terps and rosin yields? No idea.

Baron23

I had stuck a 62% boveda in with my buds, but... I dunno. They still feel super dry. Not sure why they aren’t sucking up moisture from the boveda. If someone had messed up the cure earlier, will they not accept moisture now? Assumed I could rehydrate regardless.

My opinion only and I can't cite any studies or scholarly pubs to support but what I have found is Boveda's are good for keeping your herb at a moisture level.

But, if the bud is really dried out, the Boveda's will indeed add some superficial moisture but that's not the same as having original water content within cellulose walled cells, etc. See what I mean. Plants are a very complex matrix and I don't know if you can every get the moisture back in quite like when it grew there.

Same with cigars. Some time ago there was a place here that had pre-embargo Cuban cigars. Old as the fucking hills and dried out to beat the band. If you were patient and managed your humidor well, you could get them back to a state where they could be smoked, but it was never the same as a freshly rolled stogie.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
My Slug 33 arrived today, even though it's Sunday! I wasn't expecting it today, so my torch is at a friend's house.

I have a smaller torch at home, sorta halfway between a Vapcap/pocket size torch and the standard creme brulee size.

I have a feeling I won't be able to wait to try my forge and will attempt a squish with my smaller torch tonight.

So my question, how big a difference do you think a smaller torch has on heat up time? Should I start with 1:15 instead of a minute? I know there's no way to give a specific answer, but I don't know if heat output varies wildly between torch sizes.

Very excited!

Roth,

mephisto

Go for the extra :15. You gotta start somewhere. It becomes second nature once you get a few squishes done.

mephisto,
Reactions: Roth

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Bring the heat! You may need to double it. Hopefully you will be able to feel the flower soften as you heat and that should give you some idea.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Bring the heat! You may need to double it. Hopefully you will be able to feel the flower soften as you heat and that should give you some idea.

Nice, was unsure if there was some sort of tactile feedback when pressing. That definitely makes it easier to judge heating times when torches vary.

Roth,
Reactions: -dab8-

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
Wait what. New slug videos?! Hooray!!!

Awesome to know that I can use the Big Mac with the Wilton press. Will definitely be grabbing one after I get the hang of my .33 and deuce.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
I've done 2 presses so far, and getting a little bit of blowout. Getting some rosin, but some is definitely still left in the puck. I've ground them up and vaped them and gotten some decent clouds.

The bud doesn't come outside the main forge, but it does leave the smaller inner chamber.

I'm putting in as close to 1 g as I can, even taking off the stem and weighing just what goes in. I've used 1 min and 1:15 for heat up times so far.

Does the blowout I'm getting mean I need more heat? Should I go slower at the last couple of turns on the vise? Should I slightly reduce the amount of bud I'm putting in?

Appreciate the help.

Roth,

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
I've done 2 presses so far, and getting a little bit of blowout. Getting some rosin, but some is definitely still left in the puck. I've ground them up and vaped them and gotten some decent clouds.

The bud doesn't come outside the main forge, but it does leave the smaller inner chamber.

I'm putting in as close to 1 g as I can, even taking off the stem and weighing just what goes in. I've used 1 min and 1:15 for heat up times so far.

Does the blowout I'm getting mean I need more heat? Should I go slower at the last couple of turns on the vise? Should I slightly reduce the amount of bud I'm putting in?

Appreciate the help.
I’m just trying to clarify, you say the bud doesn’t leave the main forge, just the smaller inner area. The bud is supposed to fill the entire cut out on the bottom, that’s what gives you pressure on all sides to help rosin extraction.

-dab8-,

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
I’m just trying to clarify, you say the bud doesn’t leave the main forge, just the smaller inner area. The bud is supposed to fill the entire cut out on the bottom, that’s what gives you pressure on all sides to help rosin extraction.

whZ2fJY.jpg

NVn8yu2.jpg

Not sure if imgur is working at this point or not, but putting these pics up in the hopes it is.

It definitely fills the entire cut out, and then some. But not enough to go outside the main diameter of the forge.

In the profile pic, you can see the puck bulges out some too.

Roth,

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
whZ2fJY.jpg

NVn8yu2.jpg

Not sure if imgur is working at this point or not, but putting these pics up in the hopes it is.

It definitely fills the entire cut out, and then some. But not enough to go outside the main diameter of the forge.

In the profile pic, you can see the puck bulges out some too.
Ah, I see what you mean. All of mine look like that also. I think a true blow out is when it goes past the outer diameter, but I’ll let others with more experience jump in.

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
@Roth if you're having a little bit of blowout like that, make sure you're using on the lighter side of 1g rather than just shy of 1.1g, the original Slug is designed for 1g, so the further you go up above it the more little bits of blowout you'll have. Keep trying, you'll get it right eventually. For me it was more of a feel thing, rather than taking notes each time and stuff.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer

Appreciate the help.
BLOWOUTS 1. not heating long enough for the flower to soften so it can be compressed into the area. 2. Compressing TO FAST. once you are done heating, finish VERY SLOWLY.
Hope this helps.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Just had a question on technique with the 1g slug 33. I have not bought one yet.

From what I read, in order to get a good extraction without blowouts you're supposed to only apply the pressure when you feel the heat softening the material inside. So I am imagining that you would have a hand on the vice handle and are keeping a small amount of force on the load and you have a lot of resistance, then when the heat is adequate you will "feel" the material start to give and the pressure on the handle will decrease and that is what tells you to keep turning?

Much thanks

BabyFacedFinster,

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Just had a question on technique with the 1g slug 33. I have not bought one yet.

From what I read, in order to get a good extraction without blowouts you're supposed to only apply the pressure when you feel the heat softening the material inside. So I am imagining that you would have a hand on the vice handle and are keeping a small amount of force on the load and you have a lot of resistance, then when the heat is adequate you will "feel" the material start to give and the pressure on the handle will decrease and that is what tells you to keep turning?

Much thanks[/QUOTE

Last edited:

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
any news on the larger, electric version yet @Nattybushdoctor? Might be a tad to soon to ask but hey i did anyway :D.
Bigger is HARDER!.... all kinds of challenges when size comes into play, everything is amplified. Our goal, as with the LIMAX is to create a Slug.33 that can be used continuously.
This Fall is our goal. We would like to be ready for the Emerald Cup this December.

Top Bottom