Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
I am happy to help, however, you need to know I am just a green beginner too. A little experience making my own, but I am also very new to slug33. The most I can do is parrot what I hear in @Nattybushdoctor videos. I had to PM him for help when I was taking baby steps but now I am a toddler.

Awesome to know he stands behind his product. That says a lot. And I welcome toddler advice as well! I’ve watched all the videos online at least once.

So have you been pressing 1.1 grams in the slug .33? Any trouble with blowouts, or (per the videos) does going slow enough in the end seem to alleviate that issue?

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
And thank you for the welcome! Really should have introduced myself first but was excited to jump right in. Excuse my manners. Been lurking for a while. Quit smoking cigarettes a year ago. Vaped hard for a bit. Now only occasionally.

Friend introduced me to dabs 4-5 months ago and I was instantly hooked. Love that it’s healthier, tastes better, and is more effective. Hard to find around here though, so looking at ways to make my own.

Enter the slug!

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
Ahhhh! SUPER interesting. So blowout is partially because the material hasn’t been heated enough to let the rosin flow out of the material, so the material can’t compress enough to not blow out. That’s hugely helpful.

I know the factors the influence color are many, and debatable. Are you getting lighter or darker rosin? Ultimately doesn’t really matter to me, but i’d like to see golden rosin just once.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
I am finally seeing this correlation and have been able to manipulate my results. Heat a bit more for bigger yeilds, a bit less heat for more terpy rosin.

I feel like I am getting close to the sweet spot through consistent variables every time, everything the same.

What comes out of the backend of a slug33 is wonderful indeed.

:2c:
So what would you say your range is so far (least amount of torch vs. longest amount of torch time)?

And are you heating square in the middle of the back? Or more on the top or bottom of the back? (Or a half inch towards the front, etc.)

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
yea, its fun to experiment. Just recently I took a cultivar and ran 4 different heat times, starting at 2:00 all the way down to 1:10. Big difference in the end product yield and flavor wise, I found it all to be wonderful smoke, and the effect seemed to be the same throughout.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
They can all be used vertically if you have a base to press them on. The Fat Mac our 3.5 gram unit is designed to be used vertically and it comes with the base. Our 5 oz unit the Limax is also a vertical extractor. The .33 and Deuce are best used horizontally in my opinion.

Obviously one of the great things about this line of rosin forges is how they invite experimentation. That said, have you found an ideal amount of material (a sweet spot) for each forge? I had thought:

slug .33: 1.0 grams
Deuce: 2.2 grams (website says 2-2.2 though?)
Fat Mac: 3.5 grams

But now I hear people have gotten different instructions from the best source possible, yourself. Thinking about grabbing all three. Can you clarify for us?

Thanks in advance!

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
@-dab8- I heat at the very back bottom and I like to keep the spacer next to the forge. The idea is to let the heat gradually run to the front of the forge while you compress flower away from the heat source. By the time your done heating, the Slug.33 should should have just reached optimum temperature while you are finishing your compression.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
1:10 and I heat at the back. The forge uses the heat to force the rosin away from the heat...if you heat at the front it seems to work against the design.

I had the most humongous press and it was the last one I did. It was bigger than anything else previously. I think the reason for this change is I just refilled my torch and it was much more powerful than usual, I turned it down when I realized is and just said fuck it...I will do the best I can and the amount was spectacular. I do not want to say over 30% because it makes a person sound like an ass. So all I will say is I was shocked and very pleased.

Now I just need to try to remember exactly what I did. Lmao.

:freak:
Yes, i've been there too! Or the opposite and had it running out mid press.. Slug.33 owners learn rather quickly to keep the torch topped off. You'll also find that ambient temps matter quit a bit as well. You will soon be a master. Like, in a day or so. lol

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Obviously one of the great things about this line of rosin forges is how they invite experimentation. That said, have you found an ideal amount of material (a sweet spot) for each forge? I had thought:

slug .33: 1.0 grams
Deuce: 2.2 grams (website says 2-2.2 though?)
Fat Mac: 3.5 grams

But now I hear people have gotten different instructions from the best source possible, yourself. Thinking about grabbing all three. Can you clarify for us?

Thanks in advance!
The Original SLug.33 single gram is 1 gram.
The Deuce is 2- 2.2 grams
The Fat Mac is 3.5 - 3.6
They can all vary .1 or so.. but not much more than that.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Damn so much to learn because waste is painful. You are an awesome teacher. I was thinking about you today and realized you are asking us to do science. All we need to do is precisely duplicate the experiments (with a few tips). You have done a great job getting people started.

:tup::tup:
No problem. It's my pleasure. I love the shit out of my Slug.33! It's a shitload of fun and it produces wonderful rosin. Its always good to hear from fellow owners and their experiences.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
1:10 and I heat at the back. The forge uses the heat to force the rosin away from the heat...if you heat at the front it seems to work against the design.

I had the most humongous press and it was the last one I did. It was bigger than anything else previously. I think the reason for this change is I just refilled my torch and it was much more powerful than usual, I turned it down when I realized is and just said fuck it...I will do the best I can and the amount was spectacular. I do not want to say over 30% because it makes a person sound like an ass. So all I will say is I was shocked and very pleased.

Now I just need to try to remember exactly what I did. Lmao.

:freak:
So do you heat the top, middle, or bottom of the very back? (Sorry, trying to eliminate variables!)

Congrats on a huge return! That had to feel awesome!

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
@-dab8- I heat at the very back bottom and I like to keep the spacer next to the forge. The idea is to let the heat gradually run to the front of the forge while you compress flower away from the heat source. By the time your done heating, the Slug.33 should should have just reached optimum temperature while you are finishing your compression.
Thank you! So you keep the spacer near the forge? In your one video you mention keeping it away to see if rosin comes out the back. Does it help with heat distribution somehow?

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Yea, thats an older video, before we had the Deuce. It's gonna work either way as you can see, but I prefer it back against the forge because I feel it acts as a heat sink keeping the heat from reaching the front of the forge just that little bit more. It may help slightly with even heat distribution by slowing the heat time a bit. Bro science.

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
@-dab8- If I can get mediocre returns with dry, crispy, hella-compressed garbage mids, you'll get to where you can press like a beast. This mid is so bad I can smoke it and barely get a buzz, but the rosin will get me decently relaxed. I've NO idea what strain this is, either. I ought to ask next time I see the dude I got it from.

Really excited to be able to put some good bud through it after having some time to fiddle with it lol

I also agree with whoever mentioned @Nattybushdoctor and contacting him a page or two ago. I've texted him once or twice, and when I did, I got a response back that very same day. Usually within a few hours, if that.

Doktor Dub

I think Natty is a very gracious person the way he extends himself by providing many contact methods. I find this level of customer service refreshing, rare, and very nice to receive as a customer.

I heat at the very back bottom and I like to keep the spacer next to the forge. The idea is to let the heat gradually run to the front of the forge while you compress flower away from the heat source. By the time your done heating, the Slug.33 should should have just reached optimum temperature while you are finishing your compression.

So much love here, and i can only second that dealing with @Nattybushdoctor was a real pleasure in a way which is quite rare and i hope that i played a very small part in getting him to participate so steady on FC and appreciating this community.
These days i have sooo little time to play around that i have to live through all your posts here but i had made a new really nice backplate for my slug / vice and hope to go to training a bit more this weekend.

One thing i d like to mention: while the slug is nice where ever you are, but beeing in europe where access to concentrates is between rare and non existant it shows its value even better. Solventless safe concentrates for everybody :D

EDIT: @steama i d love to take a look how the bag you posted looks filled ;-)

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
So much love here, and i can only second that dealing with @Nattybushdoctor was a real pleasure in a way which is quite rare and i hope that i played a very small part in getting him to participate so steady on FC and appreciating this community.
These days i have sooo little time to play around that i have to live through all your posts here but i had made a new really nice backplate for my slug / vice and hope to go to training a bit more this weekend.

One thing i d like to mention: while the slug is nice where ever you are, but beeing in europe where access to concentrates is between rare and non existant it shows its value even better. Solventless safe concentrates for everybody :D

EDIT: @steama i d love to take a look how the bag you posted looks filled ;-)
Thanks Dr. much appreciated.

Nattybushdoctor,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
@steama It may have been, but it's hard to tell. This stuff is very compressed and dry, so unless @Nattybushdoctor can weigh in and say one way or the other, I'm more inclined to say that it's more just because my material is shit and that dark resin is all that's left in it. I'll post a picture of it when I get home this evening so you can see what I mean :D

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
@Lithband Looks good to me! that looks tasty.
@Ibn Vapin you will notice 90 percent of flower rosin is darker in color, amber usually. Trichomes turn amber on the plant! Fresher flower makes for lighter rosin for sure. I never really judge rosin purely on color, the effect is first in my book, taste is second and looks are last. The only thing I would ask you is how does it smoke? Hows the effect?

mephisto

cJUorpa.jpg

1.14g of water wash kief, 1 minute count.....

Top Bottom