Size of grinder.

stuey

What is the advantage of having a large grinder over a small grinder?

I have a small space case 2pc which works well for vaping.

I am thinking of getting a 4pc for spliffs etc. Do I get another small or do I get a larger one?

As far as I can see a small would grind more than enough for a spliff so why would anyone want bigger?

stuey,

max

Out to lunch
You can load more in a larger grinder and therefore process in less time. That should be obvious.

I am thinking of getting a 4pc for spliffs etc. Do I get another small or do I get a larger one?
As stated above, a large holds more and shortens the grinding time. It also costs more, of course. It's up to you if you want to pay more to save a little time.

As far as I can see a small would grind more than enough for a spliff so why would anyone want bigger?
As stated above, to grind more herb with one load. If you're thinking of buying a 4 pc. SC, I'd absolutely get a small. Actually, I wouldn't shell out the $ for any size SC 4 pc., but if forced to, $60 vs. $100 is a no brainer for me. And of course be sure to get a 15% discount.

max,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Only point in larger sized is to grind larger amounts. I personally love the larger 2 pc I bought as I can grind enough for a couple days, store in a small mason jar - I feel it's a time saver but I also used to enjoy the ritual of grinding before a session.... Depends on your circumstances... When my nest is empty...I might start using the smaller one more often ;)

I have not used my 4pc since I got the 2pc SC. The grind I can obtain is much finer and I already had quite a kief stash from the 4 pc so. There really is no right answer, personal preference....

Lo,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
not necessarily, if you are trying to maximize the amount of kief you collect I think the larger grinder helps. Mainly due to the larger surface area of the screen. I think the same amount of herb would form a deeper layer in a smaller grinder and a little less kief would make it through the screen.

in favor of smaller grinders, i think they are more likely to have slightly higher tolerances and do an even better job at doing a fine grind. (I have both small and medium 2pc titanium space cases grinders and usually use the small unless i'm grinding a larger amount).

rabblerouser,

stuey

rabblerouser said:
not necessarily, if you are trying to maximize the amount of kief you collect I think the larger grinder helps. Mainly due to the larger surface area of the screen. I think the same amount of herb would form a deeper layer in a smaller grinder and a little less kief would make it through the screen.

in favor of smaller grinders, i think they are more likely to have slightly higher tolerances and do an even better job at doing a fine grind. (I have both small and medium 2pc titanium space cases grinders and usually use the small unless i'm grinding a larger amount).
The reason I'm thinking of getting a 4pc is simply to collect the keif.

I'm not sure why people are grinding larger amounts, I dont know anyone who grinds more than they are about to immediately use.

So you think maybe a medium grinder?

stuey,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
stuey said:
I'm not sure why people are grinding larger amounts, I dont know anyone who grinds more than they are about to immediately use.
I grind 2 grams at a time, and that is enough to last me about 4 days, or longer. I put it in an airtight container, so I don't have to worry about THC degradation. The reason I grind larger amounts is because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and it is not easy for me to grind. I would much rather have a few days worth already ready to use instead of constantly grinding herb, several times a day.

Vicki,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
yeah, i'd lean towards the medium over small if you're definitely trying to collect kief. I'm not sure it's a huge difference, but i think it helps a bit.

rabblerouser,

max

Out to lunch
rabblerouser said:
Certainly loading up any 4 pc. to the max will impede your kief production. Common sense is needed. Shaking more with a bigger load, and using a dime or other small object to knock loose more kief is also helpful to screen more kief.

stuey said:
I'm not sure why people are grinding larger amounts
To cut down on the number of times you have to grind, of course.

I dont know anyone who grinds more than they are about to immediately use.
You do now. ;)

So you think maybe a medium grinder?
I like a 2.25"-2.5" size in a screen grinder, but not at SC prices. Personally, for a 4 pc. SC, I'd get the Scout. Cheaper and it has smaller holes than than even the small 4 pc.

max,

stuey

I thought the SC scout was basically a 2pc grinder with a storage jar stuck on the bottom.

Basically I didnt think it had a screen for keif

stuey,

2clicker

Observer
look at Sharpstone grinders as well. space case quality at a cheaper price.

ive got a 2.2" 4pc and its great

2clicker,

stinkmeaner

The 4pc only really pays off if you smoke or grind a decent amount or else it really takes forever to get a decent amount of kief. I used to have a 4pc but now I just use a 2pc, the novelty of the kief wore off after a while and now I just prefer to keep it in my herb rather than save it.

And on the size question, like mentioned before me, pick a size that will hold your desired usage amount, there is no sense in grinding ahead of time, most like to keep their buds intact. The only reason to go above the medium size would be if you smoked lots of big blunts all day.

stinkmeaner,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
I'm a medium 4pc person. I've had a space case for the past 5 years and have watched numerous sharpstones go to hell. Everything from bent teeth, screens falling out, and metal shavings in with the ground product.:uhoh:

I have a small 2 pc as well but never use it because it doesn't grind enough and I don't like transferring it from one thing to another. With space cases they put enough room in the chamber to hold about 2 grams. I leave it in there and just suck stems right from my grinder, it works well with whips as well.

minnesnowta,

lwien

minnesnowta said:
With space cases they put enough room in the chamber to hold about 2 grams. I leave it in there and just suck stems right from my grinder, it works well with whips as well.
Yeah, that's what I did too, for about a year. But now, I just use the 2pc and dump whatever I don't use into a 1 gram SpaceCase storage container and throw it in the fridge till I'm ready to use more the next day. Keeps things pretty fresh that way.

lwien,

2clicker

Observer
minnesnowta said:
I'm a medium 4pc person. I've had a space case for the past 5 years and have watched numerous sharpstones go to hell. Everything from bent teeth, screens falling out, and metal shavings in with the ground product.:uhoh:
im surprised to hear that about the sharpstones... i inspected mine thoroughly when i got it. it seems to be built pretty well. i think youd have to be trying to actually bend the teeth.

2clicker,

lwien

2clicker said:
minnesnowta said:
im surprised to hear that about the sharpstones... i inspected mine thoroughly when i got it. it seems to be built pretty well. i think youd have to be trying to actually bend the teeth.
I'm not surprised at all. This isn't the first report I've heard about this with SharpStones. I think it may be an issue of QC being that some have reported no problems at all while others have reported problems of broken and bent teeth along with metal shavings.

lwien,

weedemon

enthusiast
i have both sizes of the aluminum sweet leaf grinders. and they were my on the go grinders until i got a orange one from my volcano. that plastic grinder gets em much finer than the sweet leaf, and for vape'n that is more important. I user a coffee grinder most of the time at home however.

weedemon,
Top Bottom