1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Surfer Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by vtac, Oct 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. 7thFloorVapes

7thFloorVapes Member Company Rep

We are blown away at the love for the SSV! Thanks! We are impressed you've had the same setup for that long! Way to maintain things! The screen being "domed" we "believe" causes the air path to go other places in the wand, rather than just shooting down the middle. We love that users have their own process, and style. The more time you spend with an SSV the more you'll become accustomed to doing it "your way." As for the life of the heater? We "believe" what you are describing is a "dimmer switch" issue. Our heating elements are designed to run for life. We actually have one that has been running for 10+years has been turned off and on, and is still running strong. So with that in mind, we know for sure they will work for that amount of time. As far as random combustion, the heating element can be "spiking," but that is due to the dimmer switch. Finding the right draw speed, and temp takes experience. We find most combustion happens during sessions with multiple users. As there is a difference in the speed of the draw between users. We suggest starting with a fast draw and then slowing as it seems fitting for you. We are happy to repair any unit under warranty, and we offer a service to fix those which are no longer covered... Thanks again for all the love. ~BJ

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    hoptimum, jeffp, whatitdew and 2 others like this.
  2. acolyte

acolyte Member

Hi there 7th Floor!

The 10+ year SSV, is that the very original one or just one close to it? I remember reading on earlier pages that the "original" ssv that was on for 10+ years recently stopped working possibly? Not sure where the source on that info was.

I don't have a dimmer switch but my apartment complex really sucks and sometimes loses power, I can't run a microwave and electric kettle at the same time for example. But my SSV and Microwave work great :tup:

So I think that may be why mine spikes sometimes.

In regards to losing power, not sure.. Vitolo sure seems to know his stuff not sure how many SSV's he has used before but perhaps he's just encountered some issue with 1 particular unit. I'm sure he'll be back in this thread :)

Vitolo likes this.
  3. slozukimc

slozukimc Well-Known Member

They are speaking of the dimmer switch in the SSV.

jeffp, Vitolo and acolyte like this.
  4. acolyte

acolyte Member

LOL perfect statement, that actually makes a lot more sense. I know normal dimmer switches are prone to issues just never thought of the heat knob as working in the same way (I'm not an electrical engineer). Thanks.

Vitolo and jeffp like this.
  5. 7thFloorVapes

7thFloorVapes Member Company Rep

The unit in question is located at our former headquarters. A "Sharper Image" of head-shops called HEMP. It is, in fact, the very first Silver Surfer Vaporizer. I spoke with Steve K. (our owner) to clarify more. "it gets turned off and on with the open sign, for twelve years now! That way we can take it through the heating and cooling process. Still works great!"

jeffp, whatitdew, grokit and 3 others like this.
  6. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

Exactly, yes, but I'm certain that Vito is correct in terms of thorough maintenance. I use both the official SSV screens and a less expensive stainless steel screen from ebay and always with upward curvature. Just the simple act of cleaning out the hose or replacing it, and regular cleaning of the wand - which I admit I don't do - has to make a significant difference. Sorry for the delay in responding... was away from computer most of the week.

7. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I do not always remove the screen for cleaning. In fact I never do, and only did it in the video to show how to get it out and put it in.
    • I put the wand, bowl against left hand, in a spot that provides best closure.
    • I fill wand with 91% Iso.
    • I shake vigouraously, with bowl side down....
    • Each few shakes fills the bowl with Iso
    • Keeping thumb over wand(hose) end I dump the bowl of Iso into sink (the rest will remain due to thimb closing off end)
    • When the Iso is gone, I use hot water (been running the whole time) and rinse the wand out in each direction
    • I then put a couple drops of Dish soap in and fill with hot water and shake again.
    • When done I rinse well in both directions, and inspect the screeen by holding the wand up to a light... bowl end closer to me.
    • I hold each end of wand at the nozzle of a Shop-Vac for a few seconds.
    19 out of 20 times, The screen is clean and sparkling.
    Once in a rare while it has "flecks" of abv on it.
    I start over, rather than remove the screen.
    My screen has been taken out to demo in that vid once, and maybe 6 times in all of the years, to demo to new owners the technique.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    jeffp, grokit and 7thFloorVapes like this.
  8. acolyte

acolyte Member

Vitolo, after reading your post, I realized something must be wrong with my screen. :\

I've replaced my screen a few times, and have always had the same issues. The screen moves around a lot at first, herb flies through as a result into my mouth, bad airflow, etc. When I read that you basically never remove your screen it blew my socks off :o

So I changed the screen one more time, and it seems this time, after a bit of effort.. I got the perfect fit! :love:

Really good airflow, the screen is SOLID IN PLACE, does NOT move around at all when I stir. And did I mention the airflow is better than ever before?

I used the same method as before - cup the .625" screen into a contact lense shape with the end of your finger. Then put it in the wand, dome up. But this time I used my steel pick tool to push the screen edges down over and over until it seemed really solid.

My ssv is now soaring better than ever before. And here I was raving about it earlier. :wave:

jeffp, grokit and 7thFloorVapes like this.
  9. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

Having thoroughly cleansed the wand, i'm happy to say that there was zero instances of combustion. What Vito described makes perfect sense; the resin that builds up provides the pathway to combustion. I had (I know this now) erroneously allowed for the buildup for utilizing a few month's resin. What a pleasure it is to hit from the SSV with a clean wand - it's like starting anew and realizing again what a great vaporizer this really is.

7thFloorVapes and grokit like this.
  10. Vaporbabe

Vaporbabe Member

how would you compare SSV and Da Budda?

11. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

I like Vito's cleaning technique alot especially the wisdom of leaving the screen in place.
    i let the wand soak in ISO overnight in a mason jar and then scrape and rinse and that works perfectly also. I would love to stumble across something that's a great fit for the wand and ISO for cleaning. The mason jar does the job but something akin that's more narrow and tall would be perfect.

Vaporbabe - the Da Buddha is an excellent less expensive option but I prefer the control (the Da Buddha is hands free which I don't need or care for) and greater efficiency of the SSV (standard model).

12. Aimless Ryan

Aimless Ryan Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion

When I had an SSV, I would clean the whip and wand by taking off the mouthpiece and shoving that end of the whip into the bowl area so it's basically almost like a hula hoop. With alcohol in it, of course.

Don't know if that's any better than any other way, but that's what I did.

13. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

14. acolyte

acolyte Member

jeffp likes this.
  15. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

the ziplock has to be in an upright position if it's left to soak, which is not easy to achieve.

SOLUTION: a ziplock held upright by a clipboard.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    acolyte likes this.
  16. Flow

Flow Member

Hi all ! I'll get my SSV hopefully next week with a standard wand and HC, and already made a complementary order on 7th floor website, thanks to @stickstones 's link ! Many thanks to you for that.
    I'll get the aroma top (To avoid "man's cave" effect… ^^), SGG full kit with HC, GG HC for @DDave' mod, and an upgrade for HC stand... I althought ordered Ddave's V3 Mod, as i read so many good comments about this mod here on FC forum.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, this helped me so much to choose my vaporizer !

… and i'll be able to recycle my old glass ice bong with Ddave WT Adapter… great perspective ! :D
    I'll make a review here as i get all my spares…

17. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

CONGRATS on a solid selection.
    SSV with Standard HC and hand held wand has been my go to vape for years.
    I own over 100 vapes, and yet this Standard HC/Wand configuration on the SSV has been my first hit daily, and my last hit at night for all of these years.
    You will enjoy owning this!

whatitdew and Flow like this.
  18. howie105

howie105 Well-Known Member

Good on you. Moving into the land of mods for the 7th Floor product line can be really rewarding. The 18.8 joint size and glass interchangeability between different units (Buddha, LSV, SS) is so easy and can work really well. If you have the time and interest the threads specfic to the LSV and Buddha are loaded with tips, mods and inspiration. Good Luck and enjoy.

CalyxSmokr, whatitdew and Flow like this.
  19. hoptimum

hoptimum Well-Known Member

The Da Buddha is essentially the same as the ground glass SSV

Vaporbabe, grokit and Vitolo like this.
  20. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

True... except no narrowing of the wand at the neck, like the ground glass SSV wand... The DBV wand is wide open. (and there is that angle).

grokit, CalyxSmokr and hoptimum like this.
  21. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Are the heater covers different too (besides the angle part)?

22. hoptimum

hoptimum Well-Known Member

yes, each of the heater covers (spherical, standard and ground glass) is different

7thFloorVapes likes this.
  23. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Right. What I meant to ask is between the dbv and ssv ground glass: if there's a different taper on the wands, does that mean there's a different taper on the corresponding heater covers?

24. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Yes.
    The heater cover for the DBV is WIDE open like the DBV wand's neck.....WIDE OPEN.
    The Heater Cover for the Ground Glass SSV is open, but with a smaller area of "bulb" around the HC and a restriction at the neck of of the ground glass SSV wand.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    7thFloorVapes, grokit and hoptimum like this.
  25. acolyte

acolyte Member

What does everyone do with their whip and wand when not in use? Both in the middle of a session as well as after a session? I have many sessions per day so I don't generally put the ssv "away" it's just on a tabletop.

I have the ground glass, so I sometimes leave the wand hooked into the ssv just as storage. But either way, the whip flops around everywhere and it's just kind of unsightly/hard to manage. I thought perhaps a clip of some kind might work well. I have a 6' silicone whip, which is very bendy and somewhat durable.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors