1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Surfer Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by vtac, Oct 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. slozukimc

slozukimc Well-Known Member

Maybe someone can answer a question I have about the DBV and SSV vapes. What the hell were they smoking @7th floor when they decided it was a good idea to put the power indicator light on the back by the cord on the DBV and put the cord in the front of the SSV?

Mike

2. acolyte

acolyte Member

Never used the dbv, but with the ssv, pretty sure it has to do with the way the electronics are organized inside. But the cord never really gave me any hassle.

I'm so glad we have pics now on fc of the minderaser, the wrs has so many cool models but this one is very interesting.

3. prome99

prome99 New Member

Thank you for crediting me :) I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had a hard time finding pictures of it... I spent so long looking for it that I'm ecstatic to see @Vitolo tag what he did for the search engines in the future.

I actually used to smoke a sh*t ton, but I realized that while in school I shouldn't. Really bummed that I'm not going to be able to use it, but :shrug: what can ya do

Vitolo, Prolusio and slozukimc like this.
  4. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Simple really.
    Because the SSV leans forward to give a "user specific" preferred slant,
    there remains no room in front for the custom glass knobs to perform unhampered.
    It also affords the advantage of user not changing the temperature with accidental touches to the front.
    The DBV is OK with knob up front, as it is straight up and down, as well as it not having a custom glass knob, but rather a traditional amp knob.

5. slozukimc

But why not put the indicator light by the knob so it can be seen? And that doesn't answer why the cord is not on the same side as the knob on the SSV? It seems to have to be bent around to the back most times anyway.

Prolusio likes this.
  6. acolyte

acolyte Member

I actually think the light is on the side with the glass adapter so that you can tell if it's turned on when you're in the "vaping position", ie ready to put the wand in.

But I do agree with you, I think the cord would be better suited on the knob side, since that would have the cord away from you and out of the way. I'm guessing there's some reason it must be put on that side to save space or something similar, though it could be an arbitrary choice. I actually think the knob is well suited on the back side where it is.

Prolusio likes this.
  7. Prolusio

Prolusio Well-Known Member

I think the cord is on the back so you can leave the knob side facing out and have the SSV as a display, like that shelf @Vitolo posted earlier.

If you wanted to leave it on a shelf with the cord on the front/knob side you'd have to twist the cord around the SSV. That's about the only reason I can think of? I've opened up a few SSV's and 7th floor could have put the electronics however they want, there's tons of room inside. That indicator light isn't attached to a board or anything it's just a bulb, they could have mounted it anywhere.

The Super Surfer have the cord coming out of the front and moved the nobs to the back side with the indicator light and heater port. It makes it more natural looking for in use but if you wanna flip it around to show off the decal then the cord is twisted around it. So I see pros and cons to both arrangements!

8. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Not at all difficult to reach behind and turn knob. The light should be in front as it is so it can be seen. I already told you why the knob is in the back... it does not fit in the front... BUT the light does fit in front and should be seen.
    I have 3 SSVs and a SSSV. It became second nature to reach behind for the knob, and even my MOST disabled friends have SSVs as their main vape.
    I understand you would rather see the knob.. but in the case of the SSV, the custom blown glas knobs actually are displayed better as it it... on the wide open slanted side of the SSV.
    Exactly.
    Again... perfectly correct.
    7th Floor did not want the cord on the side that displays the custom glass knob, also being the side with the custom artwork on Wave Rider Series.
    The power cord, incidentally is also in front because it is neatly out of the way... down in the sharpest angled spot on the surfer (in the "crux")...... and weight is not placed on the cord being exposed on the Open angled side of the unit.

P.S.-
    I am not guessing at these reasons. I have been connected with 7th Floor LLC for almost 10 years, and these are the reasons the SSV is set up as it is... according to the SSVs creator.
    Many local patients that I have gotten SSVs for have also wondered why, but in every case after owning the unit for a few months, it made sense to all of them.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    CalyxSmokr, shredder and Prolusio like this.
  9. slozukimc

Ok. That makes sense on the SSV. I was thinking function first. Aesthetics later. They were thinking of a compromise that makes it look great on display.
    However, with my DaBuddha the power indicator is on the back by the cord and is pretty much useless. Thinking about putting it on a shelf for aromatherapy use or whatever I guess you might not want the light shining into the room so on the back would make sense.
    I can see now how the SSV and DaBuddha fit different people and uses. I like to leave Buddha in one place on my desk with the wand left in it all of the time. It is safe that way. The whip wraps around it and it is ready to go. Obviously a vape.
    The SSV WRS on the other hand would be a shame to display with the whip facing out and ready to use, hiding the knob and art.
    Fancy air freshener on the shelf, not so obvious it's a vape.
    I would like to have the Mind Eraser so I could buy the EOK for it and be able to leave it on the desk in "display position" so the art is forward and it is still usable without moving it. I break shit if I have to move it around a lot.
    Thanks for the insight @Vitolo

Vitolo and Prolusio like this.
  10. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Yes... perhaps a bit useless...
    On the DBV (as well as on the SSV), the light is the first stop from the power cord, before the heating element. This allows access during any repair to the light first, since the light indicator is the component on 7th floor vapes that would likely go out and need service first.
    Also, the light is lower power drain, so it works best coming before the actual heating element, than after it.
    If one wished to see the light, they can solve this by keeping the DBV in a spot that has a slightly reflective wall behind it... or just occasionally place hand behind unit and see the glow on their palm.
    I rarely look at the light on the DBV, as I can see clearly the glow of the heating element, which tells of the power.....The SSV has a different style HC, and is often paired with an aromatop, which does not allow a clear view of how brightly the element is glowing.

A little love for the SSV...
    My first hit every morning, and my last hit at bedtime.
    I use a dozen vapes a day, for a dozen sessions...... and I change it up all day.... but my first and last session is done with the SSV.
    See http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/silver-surfer-vaporizer.2/page-197#post-495922

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    slozukimc likes this.
  11. acolyte

acolyte Member

Sorry to post this since I asked about it before, but I'm still confused about the eq basket screen mod.. still cannot locate any images or videos of this on fc or anywhere else. I'm unfamiliar with forums like this that have megathreads, since there's no stickies or wiki link in the beginning I'm never sure where to find things like this. I consider myself a very advanced information locator, is there something I'm not thinking about? Sometimes I miss something obvious.

Someone linked these screens: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252529879425?var=551433273057

But I was hoping to get some from the US for faster shipping, esp. since the price is not that good on this listing anyways. That said, I wanted to verify size on these screens. Seems the size/diameter of the basket screens is not available anywhere online including from Arizer itself, I did find one source saying they're .5" diameter and .25" deep. Is this true?

Also, where on the wand does it go? Does it just go in the normal screen area? If so, I'm not sure how it would make a difference.

I had a thought, that maybe you put it at the very tip of the wand, so it's almost touching the ceramic rod when the wand is inserted, but then I thought the herb might spill out easily.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, and I need to just order any screen that says arizer basket screen and it will be the right size, and just experiment where to put it. But I think this would be good information to have linked somewhere easily accessible (again perhaps I'm just dense and missing it..)

steama likes this.
  12. hoptimum

hoptimum Well-Known Member

Which wand/heater cover setup are you using? The EQ basket screens only work with the ground glass setup.

steama likes this.
  13. steama

steama Well-Known Member

If you have a standard heater cover and wand you can form a basket screen from a 1 inch stainless steel screen. You can manipulate it with your fingers. The way I did it was to drill a hole in a piece of wood just larger than the screen I needed and I would take a wrench socket that would fit the hole and force the screen down. You can get fancy making a fucking basket screen but in the end it's just a basket screen. Just insert your 'domed' screen into the wand and slide down to the level you prefer. I like my basket screen to be fairly close to the end of the wand. I hope I helped a lil' or maybe inspired your creativity. Good luck.

:science:

14. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

You might be....
    If you leave the EQ screen intact and as is it fits the Ground glass well, but it can be manipulated easily with micro needle-nose pliers and made to work with any configuration..
    One can also buy a screen basket maker in ANY size they wish (they come in all sizes ):
    https://delta3dstudios.com/basket-screen-press-bp465/

Prolusio, steama and hoptimum like this.
  15. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

I've been meaning to post this question about an issue I've been having for awhile. This is an issue that occurs with at least two SSVs so it's not the SSVs, I think. Too many times my bowls combust and often it requires a new screen change. I doubt it has anything to do with inhaling force; they are always steady and vigorous. Is it possible that this is due to the fact that voltage is spiking from my outlet? The SSV is plugged into a surge protector but i've read that surge protectors crap out after a short period of time and need to be replaced. In other words the surge cutoff craps out.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue and successfully resolved it?

Thanks alot in advance.

16. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I believe that after a time of peek performance, the heaters do slowly deteriorate, and we bit by bit turn up the heat level.
    We do not change our learned draw method, however.
    as an SSV ages, we draw more cautiously ( slow down/speed up accordingly).
    changing habits is difficult.
    it takes effort to adjust to the new output of an aging SSV

grokit, Prolusio, jeffp and 1 other person like this.
  17. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

Thanks Vito but I don't think turning up the heat is the answer; it's more of an inconsistency. Draw method is focused but sometimes the heater will flare while inhaling causing combustion. It's possible also that the screen - which gets resiny in short order - is obstructing airflow... this could be the reason. Yet changing screens on a weekly basis seems excessive.

For what it's worth, when i stir, I tend to lightly scrape the screen back and forth and also around the circumference.

I sent in one or two SSVs over the years for servicing because of this problem but it was unfortunately not resolved.

With a clean screen, this does not happen or at least it doesn't happen as much.

18. hoptimum

hoptimum Well-Known Member

I don't consider changing screens weekly excessive at all. I change them about every two or three sessions. Poor air flow decreases performance, and screens are cheaper than herb, especially when you re-use them

19. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I have followed this procedure at minimum once a week for 10 years:
    Click to play YouTube Video

The following posts show a daily routine for the screen that I have used that entire time as well:
    http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/silver-surfer-vaporizer.2/page-92#post-4297
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Prolusio, hoptimum and jeffp like this.
  20. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

fantastic video and very helpful. thanks for posting it. is that a vacuum hose you're using at around 3:38?

Vitolo likes this.
  21. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Shop Vac

jeffp likes this.
  22. slozukimc

Sounds like you just need to understand that even the finest of machines requires maintenance. Clean the screen often and be gentle with it. I have not gone through an entire pack of screens in about ten years of owning DaBuddha.

jeffp, hoptimum and Vitolo like this.
  23. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

jeffp and slozukimc like this.
  24. acolyte

acolyte Member

I can see how the wand and heater cover would last me 100+ years if I didn't break them.

@jeffp, how do you replace the screen, and what size screens do you use? And what wand type?

If using ground glass, 7th floor recommends an upward curvature to the screen for better air flow. I have found this really does help. edit: of course Vitolo already has this covered..

Click to play YouTube Video

I've combusted twice, both times seemed somewhat random, I couldn't tell if the heating element was "flaring up" so to speak, but I was vaping normally and then all of a sudden it combusted without any apparent change in draw rate. Still learning why that may be. But this is in about 2 months of lots and lots of use, so to me it's basically insignificant.

Is it happening lots for you?

Vitolo likes this.
  25. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors