1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Surfer Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by vtac, Oct 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Thanks I'm gonna give that a try since my ssv is cooled down atm,
    & my gg hc is filthy so it needs r&r :tup:

edit:
    I likey :smug:

edit2:
    My gg wand was really dirty, so I tried three others all with a basket screen. My oil kit wand was good, I assume same as the std gg. Then a short dhgate flared mouthpiece, the angle was better but the vapor was hottest and it made me drool yuk. Then I tried the long transfer wand, it was great but needs a 60-75° bend to be more comfortable. I should get the torch out but I'm afraid I'd mess it up so it's not that bad lol.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Prolusio and shredder like this.
  2. nickb

nickb SSV w/ Standard HC, LSV HC, thermovape all,

I have that too, but I prefer The LSV heater cover because the wand sits in there and makes it truly hands free, my wand would fall out of my GG HC i dont have the piece that holds them togehter

i forgot to mention that i just pack the DDave bowl half way or less with a good grind and press it a little so it dos not fall out of the bowl, and attach the hose to my bong,

i will try to post a pic

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2017
    grokit and shredder like this.
  3. shredder

shredder Well-Known Member

Huh?

The ground glass heater cover wand combo definitely will be hands free. It's what I've used for several years.

Could you be thinking of the spherical ground heater cover/ wand?

grokit likes this.
  4. nickb

nickb SSV w/ Standard HC, LSV HC, thermovape all,

for some reason my gg wand slips out of the gg hc, idk why, i don't have that hands free chrome piece may be thats the reason, but with the other hc the gg wand just sits in there, also the ddave gg kits fits it too by monday i will have pics

grokit likes this.
  5. shredder

shredder Well-Known Member

Maybe it needs to be cleaned up. Rubbing alcohol should do it. If not a fine sandpaper could rough it up enough for the wand to stick.

Just a thought, but I always give the wand a slight twist as I insert it. And an opposite twist as I remove it. Maybe that's the problem.

And if all that fails, I'm sure 7th floor would replace, if it's truly defective.

grokit likes this.
  6. grokit

grokit well-worn member

[​IMG]
    I'm using a couple of lsv parts for an ergonomic direct draw
    experience, makes me think of a mini gas mask :tup:

:smug:

KidFated., Skyscraper, zor and 6 others like this.
  7. in8won

in8won Live every day like you are on vacation

Hi I am searching for help getting the reclaim from my silver surfer. I was thinking about extracting it in cocnut oil or ever clear. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Namaste

ataxian, shredder and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  8. SSVUN~YAH

SSVUN~YAH You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...

Pm'd ya :peace:

Melting Pot, shredder and in8won like this.
  9. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge Retailer

Make wand hash with what's in the wand. Get a skewer and scrape the inside walls until it is all loose and in the wand. Then cover the whip end of the wand with a loose piece of tissue, so it forms a bag at the bottom of the wand. Blow into the other end and your wand hash will pop out...yummy and effective!

Prolusio, jeffp, in8won and 2 others like this.
  10. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge Retailer

Hey gang...4/20 sale for 7th Floor details just sent to me for you guys! From what I understand the first four line items are special deals and the last one is a code to get 30% off site wide until 4/21. The sale started today!

- Tidy Tips cotton swabs - 1-Pack $4.20, 2-Pack $3.55 ea, 4-pack $2.50 ea

- SideKick Portable Vaporizer - 20% off plus FREE Bubbler Mouthpiece and shipping - Over $120 in savings!

- Super Surfer Desktop Vaporizer w/forced air fan - 15% off plus FREE upgrade to EOK, extra 10’ bag and free shipping - Save almost $200!

- Duff Jar - $5 off or FREE with any Wave Rider Series vaporizer purchase!

- All ELEV8 & ELEV8 Premier glass and the rest of our site (excluding sale and promotional items) - 30% off with your custom promo code: STICKSTONES420 (code expires 4/21/17)

Prolusio, shredder, EVlL 55 and 6 others like this.
  11. slozukimc

slozukimc Well-Known Member

I see you have the SSV oil kit. How do you like it? How does it compare to a traditional enail?
    I have DaBuddha and have asked in that thread but no luck. Thinking of taking advantage of the 4/20 sale to replace my broken enail.
    Thanks,

Mike

ataxian and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  12. grokit

grokit well-worn member

I also have an enail from dhgate and prefer that overall, the ssv kit is more for low-temp and hashish but idk as I really don't do much of any of it. What tips the scale towards the enail for me is the ability to dab from other materials than ti, like quartz dishes also ceramic, silicon carbide and sapphire on the high end.

:sherlock:

slozukimc and shredder like this.
  13. slozukimc

I like low temp and my wife prefers almost combustion temps. She is pretty happy with a torch and quartz nail but I hate it because I always seem to either get it too hot or not wait long enough for the temp I want.
    My enail probably came from dhgate as well. The thermocouple is damaged in the coil so it shows EEEE sometimes, gets red hot and does not read accurate at all. I could just replace the coil and get a new Ti/quartz nail.
    I am considering the EOK for safety as well. I broke our last rig because I left the nail in it to cool and then later in the day happened to lean over my desk and catch my sweatshirt on the wire knocking the whole deal on the floor. I like the idea of the hot parts being where it is very unlikely to burn anyone or to tip over and burn my house down if I happened to forget to turn it off and the cat knocked it over or something. I figure I can put a hose to GonG fitting on the hose to attach to the rig. That way I can put things where they are safe from harm right away.
    So if you could come up with a ceramic or quartz nail that would work in place of the Ti in the EOK would you consider using it over the enail? Will it get hot enough to do higher temp dabs if you wait long enough for it to heat up?
    Right now it is either this or the hybrid nail, new coil and https://www.thickassglass.com/products/tag-replacement-domeless-silicon-carbide-dish to fix the enail.

Thanks agin, Mike

14. grokit

grokit well-worn member

It does get hot enough to dab/clean. I would use either one, and I can see your point on safety. I have a timer on my enail for that reason. From what I've read, some prefer the dbv version over the ssv version of the kit because the dish sits level. There is also a benefit to the angle imo, but it's negligible. For $12.50 that sic dish looks like fun, and if you both dab a lot I'm sure you could benefit from the oil kit too :brow:

CalyxSmokr and slozukimc like this.
  15. slozukimc

Yeah! Just buy both. Lol. Eventually maybe.

I am wondering if the nails they make for the portable rigs like the Dr Dabber that are on dhgate would work. They have quartz and ceramic ones as replacements.

@grokit is there any chance you could send me measurements of the Ti nail for your SSV?

Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  16. grokit

grokit well-worn member

I was thinking that maybe one of the liger inserts would fit inside the oil kit nail. Sorry I don't have access for measurements, it's in storage atm. But it has to fit onto the element, and also be small enough to get it through the hole in the glass dome so I think those would be the parameters to be concerned about.

slozukimc likes this.
  17. slozukimc

I put in a call to 7th floor so hoping for a call back tomorrow so I can ask them.

Thanks again

grokit and CalyxSmokr like this.
  18. slozukimc

Got a call back @7:30am their time. Found out they offer both borosilicate and quartz dishes to go inside the Ti nail.
    If I could get a SiC dish for it there would be no question whether to go with the EOK.

CalyxSmokr and grokit like this.
  19. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Thanks, that's good to know :tup:

slozukimc and CalyxSmokr like this.
  20. BR Ron

BR Ron Member

Hey Stickstones, that 30% off is a killer deal. I have the EOK. I think the flavor, and high are pretty good. That said I usually get higher, faster with an enail and a rig. I like both, but when I am out in my shop the EOK has a few small quartz pieces you have to be careful with. Anyway both are nice to have.

21. acolyte

acolyte Member

Hey all, just got the SSV about a week ago, never tried it before that. I am a daily vaper, I have a volcano classic, dab rig, and lots of other smoking tools. But so far this one takes the cake..

I have spent quite a bit of time reading through this thread but I had a couple questions I couldn't find.. please let me know if it's expected I read through all 293 pages before asking a question like this? But I couldn't find these on Google either.

What's the easiest way to get the ABV from your wand when it's cashed? Right now I use a toothpick, but it's hard to get all of the flakes out, they get very sticky.. I'm vaping well cured herb but it's very resiny. I'm thinking of getting a small brush.

Also, has anyone noticed getting bigger hits when hitting the ssv dry? Mine came with a little bubbler, and I've also hooked it to my 18" beaker, and I notice I get a hell of a lot more vapor with just the mouthpiece. I actually tried it for the first time last night and was blown away by the flavor and amount of vapor.

I also seem to notice that sometimes, despite my experience with the MFLB and people's descriptions online, I seem to get more vapor when I breathe in faster, up to a certain point.. I only found one other person that said this. But it's like if I draw too slowly, not enough air gets to the herb. I've read this can cause the herb to combust, but it just seems to vape slower. I'm talking about a normal draw rate with the MFLB.

I did combust twice the first day I got the ssv.. no clue how it happened exactly, and it hasn't happened since. The bowl might have been packed too firm possibly (I don't pack it at all anymore)

grokit likes this.
  22. howie105

howie105 Well-Known Member

What's the easiest way to get the ABV from your wand when it's cashed? Right now I use a toothpick, but it's hard to get all of the flakes out, they get very sticky.. I'm vaping well cured herb but it's very resiny. I'm thinking of getting a small brush.....Brush works great and if ISO isn't on your no list an alcohol swish and a brush works even better.

I actually tried it for the first time last night and was blown away by the flavor and amount of vapor....I have an LSV (SS cousin) and ninety percent of the time I use it dry for the same reasons you sighted. For a fun dry change up try a steamroller.

I also seem to notice that sometimes, despite my experience with the MFLB and people's descriptions online, I seem to get more vapor when I breathe in faster, up to a certain point.....Same thing as with the MFLB, draw rates can be as important as dial settings when it comes to temperature control.

Also try different grinds and load sizes, they can cause major shits in performance. Good luck and enjoy.

grokit likes this.
  23. grokit

grokit well-worn member

When you buy new 7th floor gives you one of their glass marble picks, one of two handy tools I use that meets most of my vaping needs. The second tool I'm picturing is from skillet tools, it's called their honeybun and it's also very useful. I use things like wooden dowels, metal pokers and flat scrapers far less often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TeeJay1952 likes this.
  24. acolyte

acolyte Member

howie105 interesting to hear, I'll have to keep using it dry for a while

grokit, do you have problems with the screen shifting when you use the marble pick? When I use a toothpick, I feel like I'm going to knock my screen out (sometimes it shifts..) but maybe I need to do a better job getting the screen in securely.

My screen is curved upward, as per 7th Floor's video on changing screens, which does seem to help a lot with airflow. But then the avb gets stuck in a small ridge, which I can't pick too hard without removing the screen..

By the way, if anyone's on the fence about the ssv.. it is worth it :D

25. vbeazy

vbeazy Well-Known Member

Hey man,

I use these for stirring between hits & cleaning the whip out.

[​IMG]

Stainless pick. I have the older style also and prefer it, but this new one is also nice!

Regarding the picks from 7th Floor.. they get caught in the metal screen when stirring; it's a minor annoyance but I don't like using them. They lack shape so they're ineffective at stirring a bowl. I haven't notice them moving my screen around, but that's irrelevant personally (as long as the screen is properly seated).

Glad you're enjoying the SSV! I'm surfing right now.. many years later.. and I'm more satisfied than on day one.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors