• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Silicone Carbide/Titanium hybrid nails

Monsoon

You can hold the torch in just one spot with no issues but then you'll have a hotter side of the dish and a cooler side of the dish.
I'm pretty sure the SiC is thermally conductive enough that it doesn't matter especially if you give it some cool down time. I think others here have confirmed this though haven't personally tested it myself.
Thanks! I really need to figure out where my Infrared Thermometer disappeared to!
You're unlikely to get an accurate reading, both due to the small target area and unknown emissivity.

Ideally you want to avoid back-to-back posts here on FC, one way to do it is to hit reply and then copy the text into your edit. You should have 6 hours until the edit button disappears.

I'm pretty sure the SiC is thermally conductive enough that it doesn't matter especially if you give it some cool down time. I think others here have confirmed this though haven't personally tested it myself.

You're unlikely to get an accurate reading, both due to the small target area and unknown emissivity.

Ideally you want to avoid back-to-back posts here on FC, one way to do it is to hit reply and then copy the text into your edit. You should have 6 hours until the edit button disappears.

Got it, thanks. Based on rules in other forums I belong to I mistakenly thought it was also frowned upon here to go back and change previous posts by adding more info as people could have already commented and quoted; and might not read back to old posts again (I usually don't). I'll keep what you said in mind and edit my past posts to avoid doubles, even a couple of hours later.

This is correct, thanks for sharing! I looked it up and found that it didn't really matter where you heat the SiC as its thermal conductivity is so good that the heat will spread out and provide even heating.

Last edited:
KittensTasteYummy,
Reactions: Monsoon

jds32

I'm afraid of firing up my d-nail slim body... I don't want to have "the stink".

While I'm waiting for my coil to arrive from China, I'm looking around the shop for solvents to clean the slim body with. Mineral spirits, naptha, lacquer thinner, acetone, they're all pretty similar. Current plan: wipe down and soak the body in acetone, then 2 consecutive rinses in hot ethanol, and finally a water cleaning. I'm thinking that should clean any cutting lubricate or cleaning fluid left on the body, and leaves it in bio-friendly condition.

I'll do a quick search to ensure Ti doesn't react with acetone first. Someone else posted about using heat to "sterilize" their slim body, I'm thinking the chemical route. Thoughts anyone?

jds32,

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
I have my second slimline base+ heatsink soaking in ISO.
My first slimline exhibited no stink.

Will update when I use the second slimline.

alittledabwilldoya',

darkrom

Great Scott!
Just found that the ideal temp for the sapphire insert and convection dabs seems to be 752f

Convection dabs provide a great balance of clouds and incredible flavor that puts my Mighty to shame. I really love the ritual of preparing your dab on the sapphire too, I just did a breakfast convection dab of half ACDC absolute shatter (with <.02% THCA/THC combined, yes, I made CBD shatter!) and half THC Bomb rosin.

Delicious flavor was had, instant lasting relief is now being enjoyed. :D

Seriously get the sapphire insert for this one guys. You all know I've been a fan of the sapphire before hand when used as a conductive surface, but it is so much better still when used convectively.

I love cleaning the sapphire too, I know you aren't really supposed to torch sapphire, but I find that torching my sapphire with the very soft, most distant end of the flame from the torch gets it looking brand new.

Convection dabs allow for you to remove and clean the sapphire without disassembling the nail/heater etc (my SiC dish stays almost spotless) as well! This is the quickest, simplest and most effective convective vaporizer cleaning I've ever experienced! This is going to be popular with dab clean freaks like me. I love the future of dabbing! :D

Sorry to quote this old post but was googling this endless quest to find the "perfect" temp and came back across this. Didn't you just suggest 810-840 to me recently with the sapphire lol?

Why do you think your own opinion has changed for the higher temp lately? I still can't dial it in, and I suspect it would be easier if I took larger dabs.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
What about if you just leave it on the nail 24/7 @alittledabwilldoya' ?

I wouldn't use it too often if I have to "pre-paint" the dab each time etc. Then its a pain to take it off. Cool down then heat back up etc seems difficult.

darkrom,

alittledabwilldoya'

^^^ Still 777*.

I suppose I shouldn't have qualified my previous post.

When will those darn Sapphire Halos come out?!?

Last edited:
alittledabwilldoya',

roboticnightmares

I too am curious about these sapphire halos.

What I'm most curious to know is if there is anything in the works for a sic dish with a ceramic base to be used with an enail. I see dnail offers a sic dish paired with a hive ceramic base but just for the torch.
I recently bought a hive ceramic nail (20mm coil)for an enail. I'm very happy with it. But I'm sure I would love to try out the sic in the not too distant future. It would be great if they can have a hive ceramic base with a sic dish for a flat enail. I'm sure the titanium bases are probably perfectly fine, but I simply and strongly prefer the ceramic. Although still need to figure out what exactly is in these ceramics.

roboticnightmares,

shredder

Hope it's OK to revive this thread.

I'm just got a SIC dnail insert with the slim series dnail base. Configuring the 14/18 M/F base for using the base as a 18 mm male the weight of the wire for the heater on the assembled nail does not allow for the nail to seat well on the female 18mm glass joint. It pulls the nail down slightly breaking the seal. For now I'm propping up the wire with a paper towel roll and pressing on the carb cap to make it more stable. Is there a quick fix? Should I get another base?

Would a drop down help? I'm using a 16 inch bent neck pipe with an offset resin collecter and a carb from thick ass glass. So the nail itself sets kind of high up.

Other than that I'm liking everything, but havn't tried the saphire insert yet. Hard to experiment much when a tiny rosin dab sets me back for hours.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!

I'm just got a SIC dnail insert with the slim series dnail base. Configuring the 14/18 M/F base for using the base as a 18 mm male the weight of the wire for the heater on the assembled nail does not allow for the nail to seat well on the female 18mm glass joint. It pulls the nail down slightly breaking the seal. For now I'm propping up the wire with a paper towel roll and pressing on the carb cap to make it more stable. Is there a quick fix? Should I get another base?

Would a drop down help? I'm using a 16 inch bent neck pipe with an offset resin collecter and a carb from thick ass glass. So the nail itself sets kind of high up.

Other than that I'm liking everything, but havn't tried the saphire insert yet. Hard to experiment much when a tiny rosin dab sets me back for hours.
Where did you buy? Did you have any discount codes by chance?

nosmoking,

shredder

Where did you buy? Did you have any discount codes by chance?

I bought the SIC dnail, carb cap, and heater from dnail directly, sorry no codes. The pid controler and glass came from thick ass glass.

On my main concern, the nail tipping, was resolved by using a 14/18 adaptor between the nail and a glass joint. I'd still like to get a drop down, but no hurry now.

Over all, I gotta say I'm really impressed. With asthma, I'm limited to low temp vaping lest I hack a lung up, and this set up allows me to sip on tasty rosin hits. Multiple hits over a couple minutes, something I did not know was possible until now. Up to now, I've only hit torch heated nails, and that was not good for me. So it was a leap of faith, helped with reviews ive read here at FC, that led me to buying an expensive enail. But I'm completely and happily satisfied with my purchases.

herbivore21

I bought the SIC dnail, carb cap, and heater from dnail directly, sorry no codes. The pid controler and glass came from thick ass glass.

On my main concern, the nail tipping, was resolved by using a 14/18 adaptor between the nail and a glass joint. I'd still like to get a drop down, but no hurry now.

Over all, I gotta say I'm really impressed. With asthma, I'm limited to low temp vaping lest I hack a lung up, and this set up allows me to sip on tasty rosin hits. Multiple hits over a couple minutes, something I did not know was possible until now. Up to now, I've only hit torch heated nails, and that was not good for me. So it was a leap of faith, helped with reviews ive read here at FC, that led me to buying an expensive enail. But I'm completely and happily satisfied with my purchases.
Man I'm so glad to see you enjoying a SiC halo now! Good to see that you got into an e-nail and are enjoying those dabs even more :D

herbivore21,
Reactions: shredder

anasrzi

Did you ever nail down the timing on the SiC using torch heating @KittensTasteYummy ? By nailing down I mean getting the heating cycle down to a fine art? The more I read about SiC, sapphire and d-nail products the more I long to get some of it in my life. Currently I dab using Quartz purely down to being more cost effective at least for a newbie dabber like me, no point buying loads of kit that ends up unused and in a draw indefinitely because I can't handle dabs.

Thankfully I'm becoming a big fan of dabbing my own bubble rosin so much so I'm angling to get some better equipment to elevate the flavour to new heights, got to thank @herbivore21 among others for all the knowledge imparted so far, much more to come as next gen enails can aonoy become better and better.

If or should I say when I get round to getting a SiC dish I intend on torch heating only so no sapphire for me but I can deal with that, flavours are clearly superior to the standard Quartz or Ti I've been using so if solely SiC is 90% taste wise of SiC+sapphire combined I can handle that :).

Anyone else torch heat there SiC dishs? Hints, tips all welcome, heating/cool down times especially ;).

alittledabwilldoya'

Did you ever nail down the timing on the SiC using torch heating @KittensTasteYummy ? By nailing down I mean getting the heating cycle down to a fine art? The more I read about SiC, sapphire and d-nail products the more I long to get some of it in my life. Currently I dab using Quartz purely down to being more cost effective at least for a newbie dabber like me, no point buying loads of kit that ends up unused and in a draw indefinitely because I can't handle dabs.

Thankfully I'm becoming a big fan of dabbing my own bubble rosin so much so I'm angling to get some better equipment to elevate the flavour to new heights, got to thank @herbivore21 among others for all the knowledge imparted so far, much more to come as next gen enails can aonoy become better and better.

If or should I say when I get round to getting a SiC dish I intend on torch heating only so no sapphire for me but I can deal with that, flavours are clearly superior to the standard Quartz or Ti I've been using so if solely SiC is 90% taste wise of SiC+sapphire combined I can handle that :).

Anyone else torch heat there SiC dishs? Hints, tips all welcome, heating/cool down times especially ;).

After my travel enail went down, on the go I'm torching again.
I'm sure different torches will be different, but for me and my small 5" Newport travel torch I've found 1:45 torch, :30 cool down.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician

If you want to try something slimmer than the glass adapter you can cut a strip of parchment paper and wrap the joint with a few layers of it. Slide/twist the fitting on in a way that keeps the wrap as tight as possible.. this is a trick I've mostly seen used on quartz bangers into ill fitting joints, and also, employed to keep Ti from marring the glass joint.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
@alittledabwilldoya' If torching, try a Blazer BigShot. Glowing red in 10 seconds or less, 20-30 second cool down depending on how you like it. Bigger, but Id think it's even more important for travel rigs to employ efficiency and discretion. Torching for nearly two minutes is not very discrete and I imagine your pounding through butane. I will never use another torch.

shredder

At what temps are SIC dnail folks vaping? So far, and its only been a week, I'm liking 550°F, but sometimes finish up to 600°.

I'm noticing a difference in what pipe I use. My smaller rigs are tastier, but run warmer. And my bigger rig runs cooler (more defusion) but with less flavor. Both get me there tho, lol.

So what water pipes are best for low temp enail usage?

Also I'm surprised how each variety is so different from vaping the same in flowers. For instance, vaping super silver Haze flowers works well for me but can leave me congested. But vaping ssh rosin seems to clear my airways like an inhaler, maybe better. Hmmm who'd a thunk it?

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Just got my SiC halo as well, so I don't have a good answer either. I've been hovering between 600-620 at the moment. I will have to try things a bit lower for a while and see which range I prefer. I definitely like 615ish so far though.

seaofgreens,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

Just got my SiC halo as well, so I don't have a good answer either. I've been hovering between 600-620 at the moment. I will have to try things a bit lower for a while and see which range I prefer. I definitely like 615ish so far though.

I think the hits are more tasty at low temps, but can be wispier.

For me personally, (asthma) I just don't like hot, finish it all in one hit dabbing. So with this in mind the Sic halo with the carb cap allows me to sip more, cough less and still get medicated without issues.

But I do think hotter temps may be the norm, at least in my limited experience. But then again most dabbers I know are using titanium nails and torches.

Maybe if they weren't wasting to taste they'd like lower temps. IDK.

shredder,

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I like an SiC dish temperature from 480-570F. (That's an indicated 535-635 degrees with my D-Nail SiC Halo.) Depends on the type of concentrate, consistency, and terpene content. Big globs of shatter might merit 570 and a bed time punch of bubble maybe 530. For dry sift around 480-500, and for this ultra terpy slurry I've been dabbing Im down at the 480-490 degree range. (545-555 display)

Please understand that the temperature displayed on your box is NOT the temperature of the dish. The temperature displayed on your box is the temperature detected by the thermocouple. In case you want to see what your dish temperature is this calculator is pretty handy http://www.d-nail.com/info/calculator/

shredder

I like an SiC dish temperature from 480-570F. (That's an indicated 535-635 degrees with my D-Nail SiC Halo.) Depends on the type of concentrate, consistency, and terpene content. Big globs of shatter might merit 570 and a bed time punch of bubble maybe 530. For dry sift around 480-500, and for this ultra terpy slurry I've been dabbing Im down at the 480-490 degree range. (545-555 display)

Please understand that the temperature displayed on your box is NOT the temperature of the dish. The temperature displayed on your box is the temperature detected by the thermocouple. In case you want to see what your dish temperature is this calculator is pretty handy http://www.d-nail.com/info/calculator/

Very interesting, thanks Sam!

So far I've only dabbed rosin I've made myself. I started at a display temp of 600. It vaped instantly but was pretty rough. Eventually I went down to 540 display temps to get flavorful and more hits.

And I've noticed varietal differences. Gorilla glue rosin is more liquid like and tastes very turpy. And it doesn't take a lot of heat, but it keeps up the glue taste pretty much until gone.

But green crack rosin that I pressed seems more solid, vapes at higher temps and has less turpene tastes. I mean it still tastes great, but I get more lighter citrus like flavors that don't last long.

Both were pressed at the same temps.

I'm not sure I even want to try the local waxes. Most have not been purged correctly imho and taste like it.

Top Bottom