Silicone Carbide/Titanium hybrid nails

Monsoon

D-Nail just posted an info page on Silicon Carbide:
http://www.d-nail.com/info/science/silicon-carbide-sic/

BASIC FACTS
  • Made from equal parts Silicon and Carbon. Carbon is the 15thmost abundant element in the Earth's crust and 4th most abundant in the Universe. Silicon is the 2nd most abundant element in the crust and 8th most abundant in the Universe.
  • Silicon Carbide was first discovered in 1891 by E. G. Echeson.
  • Silicon Carbide is formed very rarely on Earth. It is commonly found in meteorites such as the Murchison meteorite, carbonaceous chondrites, star dust, and dying stars.
  • Has excellent chemical resistance. Less reactive to acids and bases than Quartz, even at elevated temperatures.
  • Low thermal expansion
  • Very high thermal conduction and transmission - 20x that of Grade 2 Titanium, 100x that of Quartz
  • Low coefficient of friction
  • Known for its good thermal shock resistance, able to handle a temperature change of 700°F.
  • One of the hardest materials known to man, scoring up to 9.5 on the Mohs hardness scale (diamond has the maximum score of 10).
  • Has been used in thermal armor on spacecraft, for processing liquid metals, high temperature furnace parts, and jet turbines
  • Commonly used in high endurance applications such as bulletproof armor, high performance brake pads, abrasives in sandpaper or cutting tools.
  • Currently being widely investigated for use in sensors, devices, and implants in the medical and medical device industry.
  • Able to block some forms of nuclear radiation

herbivore21

Still no shipment from dnail :cry: They had said it should be shipped by now

Anyways i purchased the v2 carbcap with ball point dabber. Should i use the ball point or should i pick up a glass or quartz dabber for best flavor?

I do find glass and quartz tastes best personally, but quartz carbs/dabbers are on the way for SiC in the not too distant future so maybe get a glass one and wait for the quartz carb/dabbers for quartz. Hope you get your proper carb soon bro!

Got to test out the sic during a 3 hr sesh with a buddy last night and holy hell the flavor! Haven't even used the saph insert yet.

I too am waiting on the dnail carb cap. Had one of THESE laying around that fit the dish perfectly so at least I have something to use while waiting. Definitely need the carb cap for best results
Man it really is something else isn't it?!

D-Nail just posted an info page on Silicon Carbide:
http://www.d-nail.com/info/science/silicon-carbide-sic/

BASIC FACTS
  • Made from equal parts Silicon and Carbon. Carbon is the 15thmost abundant element in the Earth's crust and 4th most abundant in the Universe. Silicon is the 2nd most abundant element in the crust and 8th most abundant in the Universe.
  • Silicon Carbide was first discovered in 1891 by E. G. Echeson.
  • Silicon Carbide is formed very rarely on Earth. It is commonly found in meteorites such as the Murchison meteorite, carbonaceous chondrites, star dust, and dying stars.
  • Has excellent chemical resistance. Less reactive to acids and bases than Quartz, even at elevated temperatures.
  • Low thermal expansion
  • Very high thermal conduction and transmission - 20x that of Grade 2 Titanium, 100x that of Quartz
  • Low coefficient of friction
  • Known for its good thermal shock resistance, able to handle a temperature change of 700°F.
  • One of the hardest materials known to man, scoring up to 9.5 on the Mohs hardness scale (diamond has the maximum score of 10).
  • Has been used in thermal armor on spacecraft, for processing liquid metals, high temperature furnace parts, and jet turbines
  • Commonly used in high endurance applications such as bulletproof armor, high performance brake pads, abrasives in sandpaper or cutting tools.
  • Currently being widely investigated for use in sensors, devices, and implants in the medical and medical device industry.
  • Able to block some forms of nuclear radiation
Nicely done bro! Beat me to posting this one lol.

BTW here's the same info breakdown but for sapphire:

http://www.d-nail.com/info/science/sapphire/

Last edited:

Monsoon

Sapphire disk broke last night :( I had just taken one last dab before bed and was torching it to clean when it snapped in half by itself. I expected it might happen soon and had noticed an internal crack in it awhile ago. I'll probably order a replacement since dabbing on the SiC surface just isn't the same and I guess I'll torch the new one a lot less. I think I got a bit over zealous since it was so easy to have the surface be nearly spotless before each dab. I love the concept of the convection shelf but I hope they find a way to make it a little more durable, maybe use SiC or quartz for the disk insert instead? Torching aside, I feel nervous just handling it given how much it costs and how easily it could just snap in half.

A1FBG

Sapphire disk broke last night :( I had just taken one last dab before bed and was torching it to clean when it snapped in half by itself. I expected it might happen soon and had noticed an internal crack in it awhile ago. I'll probably order a replacement since dabbing on the SiC surface just isn't the same and I guess I'll torch the new one a lot less. I think I got a bit over zealous since it was so easy to have the surface be nearly spotless before each dab. I love the concept of the convection shelf but I hope they find a way to make it a little more durable, maybe use SiC or quartz for the disk insert instead? Torching aside, I feel nervous just handling it given how much it costs and how easily it could just snap in half.

Damnnn :ugh: Was your previous internal crack caused by the torch also?

Breaking is the 1 reason i haven't purchased the sapphire insert yet.

Therefore i definitely agree with your idea on a SiC/Quartz insert if it performs the same (or better.. haha) DNail get to work!!

No other nail can compare to the equal vaporization the SiC Dish offers. Does the dab spread out on the sapphire insert?

A1FBG,

herbivore21

Therefore i definitely agree with your idea on a SiC/Quartz insert if it performs the same (or better.. haha) DNail get to work!!

No other nail can compare to the equal vaporization the SiC Dish offers. Does the dab spread out on the sapphire insert?
I have cracked one aggressively torching it too. Readers: definitely listen to the dnail people when they say don't torch the sapphire lol. We learned the hard way!

I just made my first bubble run and yields were negligible, very short wash with small amount of starting material and squashed some rosin out. In my excitement I didn't wrap the bubble properly in the screen and some burst when I squashed it. Still, even the contaminant melted before my eyes on the SiC.

Oh by the way did I mention that I just got more medicated than any of my solvent extracts from the same material have ever gotten me? That fresh frozen bubble is the way of the future!

Definitely still gonna be squashing the results though. My best grades (73 and 90 micron) fully melt (AND OMGOMGOMG THE TASTE AND EFFECT) but the rest I shall immediately squish into insanely tasty rosin for my head stash. My day to day medicine will still be solvent extracted, but I am getting into this solventless thing more and more for the tastiest possible treats!

I should comment that for 4 star or even 3 star bubble, I find that the SiC can be dabbed on with great results. SiC seems to be able to cook the good stuff and not the bad stuff in almost but not quite full melt hashes. SiC all round seems like a real forgiving material to dab on. My 120 micron would have been dreadful on the quartz deep dish banger or ti!

Monsoon

No idea when the cracks showed up but it did also make a few short falls and a friend may have pressed down on it too hard the day before as well which probably didn't help. If you use it with friends, make sure to show them the correct procedure first so they don't fuck it up. Basically no pressure and the dabber should barely be touching the disk like you're painting it on.

Before it broke I dabbed across the top of the disk to get it on evenly and it spread out nicely. Bigger dabs might spill over a bit onto the SiC but it's not really a concern since it's not wasted.

toolbox12

Anyone else order the quartz halo dish they just released? They are interchangeable with the sic dish. Picked one up to play with, hope they put out a matching quartz carb cap.

toolbox12,

A1FBG

Yeah of course they would drop the price right after i purchase.. :disgust:

Anyways you guys still using the Qtip and Iso to clean? And do you clean it after every session?

Monsoon

Yeah of course they would drop the price right after i purchase.. :disgust:

Anyways you guys still using the Qtip and Iso to clean? And do you clean it after every session?
I've been doing a Qtip/ISO cleaning every few days to return it to pristine condition but other wise just heat my nail to 990F and use a torch to help it out a bit.

A1FBG

I've been doing a Qtip/ISO cleaning every few days to return it to pristine condition but other wise just heat my nail to 990F and use a torch to help it out a bit.

Cool cool. Just make sure you dont burn out your coil! Ive read flat coils can go out at temps around that hot. But thanks ill be testing the torch out on it.

Was just now looking at the website thinking about how i missed the sale but my point is they recently added a tip on how to clean haha : "Cleaning: Most residue will simply wipe away with a damp cloth. Any remainder may be torched to carbonize.

Monsoon

Was just now looking at the website thinking about how i missed the sale but my point is they recently added a tip on how to clean haha : "Cleaning: Most residue will simply wipe away with a damp cloth. Any remainder may be torched to carbonize.
I find even the torch only gets so much, if you leave it on above 900F for a few hours everything should turn to a white dust and then it's super easy to Qtip it with iso. First dab after cleaning is always the best.

herbivore21

I find even the torch only gets so much, if you leave it on above 900F for a few hours everything should turn to a white dust and then it's super easy to Qtip it with iso. First dab after cleaning is always the best.
I just torch mine then aggressively scrape it with a flat ti dabber, although I will probably find myself using a sapphire halo dish instead soon enough so the iso is definitely coming back into the mix soon ;)

By the way, I probably have said it here (and my man @Monsoon probably has too) but don't torch sapphire people!

On the other hand, by all means do torch SiC, save your coil some ;)

toolbox12

I just torch mine then aggressively scrape it with a flat ti dabber, although I will probably find myself using a sapphire halo dish instead soon enough so the iso is definitely coming back into the mix soon ;)

By the way, I probably have said it here (and my man @Monsoon probably has too) but don't torch sapphire people!

On the other hand, by all means do torch SiC, save your coil some ;)
Sapphire halo!?! Awesome-0! D-nail is taking all my money, I'm totally ok with it.

Last edited:

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
My SiC nail + Sapphire insert have arrived:
qQvxMAS.jpg)
qQvxMAS.jpg)

1lqzYzL.jpg

WOO-HOO!!!

:D

Modnote: Edited to hide personal information.

Last edited by a moderator:

alittledabwilldoya'

Initial hits @ 710*.
I have an Auber RDk-200 and have tried between 699*-751*, although I don't have a IR thermometer.

Still need more time to "practice" with proper application and capping.

I was using a Nectar Collector with a quartz tip prior to the SiC nail, which did have a learning curve.
The Nectar Collector seems to produce a "milkier" vapor and I find the effects to be more immediate, and perhaps a bit intense; while the SiC nail gives a more functional high that is more of creeper and seems to continue to build for longer than the NC.

To get a milkier vapor should one run @ a higher temp?
If one were to look @ their "high" like a graph, I want a function with a big spike at the beginning, which slowly tails off.

Last edited:

weenstoned

Might be in your head a bit. I generally find hitting a mini-rig to be more intense than a "regular" sized dab rig due to the short distance the vapor is traveling. Also are you sure that you weren't just doing bigger dabs with the nectar collector? Generally when people just dunk them into a dish of concentrate you might get a bigger dab than you thought you were.

Finally I would suggest double checking that your auber is configured correctly for the flat coil and not the barrel coil which is a different wattage. Usually they pre-configure it to match the coil you ordered but hey you never know.

alittledabwilldoya'

^^^ thanks for the response.

Might be in your head a bit. I generally find hitting a mini-rig to be more intense than a "regular" sized dab rig due to the short distance the vapor is traveling. Also are you sure that you weren't just doing bigger dabs with the nectar collector? Generally when people just dunk them into a dish of concentrate you might get a bigger dab than you thought you were.

Could be, although I when using the NC I would place a discrete amount into a separate silicone dabbing dish.

Also when using the NC one can easily completely cut off air and create a negative pressure by "carb-capping" the tip with silicone dabbing dish.

But, I think you're right, even if my NC dab sizes are "discrete" is doesn't mean they are small (~1/20g?).
I'm sure it's easier to put the wax in a dish as opposed to getting it on the dabber.

Next dab with the new rig will be bigger.

Finally I would suggest double checking that your auber is configured correctly for the flat coil and not the barrel coil which is a different wattage. Usually they pre-configure it to match the coil you ordered but hey you never know.

I ordered the set from Auber as a unit (control unit & flat coil).
How does one check the wattage configuration?

Last edited:
alittledabwilldoya',

herbivore21

Initial hits @ 710*.
I have an Auber RDk-200 and have tried between 699*-751*, although I don't have a IR thermometer.

Still need more time to "practice" with proper application and capping.

I was using a Nectar Collector with a quartz tip prior to the SiC nail, which did have a learning curve.
The Nectar Collector seems to produce a "milkier" vapor and I find the effects to be more immediate, and perhaps a bit intense; while the SiC nail gives a more functional high that is more of creeper and seems to continue to build for longer than the NC.

If one were to look @ their "high" I like a graph, I want one with a big spike at the beginning, which slowly tails off.

IR Thermometers are not used in the industry for measurement of temps on nail dishes (due to reflective/refractive nature of various nail materials). You should always use a high quality thermometer with an SS measurement node rated for the temps you are measuring.

I am quite confused though, since I dab at 599f regularly and get no trails and full/thick whitewall on every hit (especially if I put the SiC nail on my clear Luke Wilson rig, the clouds are sublimator sized with a super fine, dense aerosol).

Try jacking up the temp if you are finding you don't get full vaporization quickly enough, I have never used and auber controller so it may be that the temp on coil to temp on dial varies more than d-nail controllers. If you can jack up the temp and still get the epic taste and more efficient vaporization - then I'd say this is your problem.

You have the proper 2.0 carb so all you should be doing in terms of technique is trying to get your dab off of the dabber ASAP and cap on top ASAP.

A big yes to all of this post, the latter is something that seems quite likely to be the issue here, but the first paragraph is also spot on, smaller vapor path will feel like a bigger hit on the same sized dab.

^^^ thanks for the response.

Could be, although I when using the NC I would place a discrete amount into a separate silicone dabbing dish.

Also when using the NC one can easily completely cut off air and create a negative pressure by "carb-capping" the tip with silicone dabbing dish.

But, I think your right, even if my NC dab sizes are "discrete" is doesn't mean they are small (~1/20g?).
I'm sure it's easier to put the wax in a dish as opposed to getting it on the dabber.

Next dab with the new rig will be bigger.

I ordered the set from Auber as a unit (control unit & flat coil).
How does one check the wattage configuration?

Whoa, bro I am so glad you have gotten onto SiC now. Using a nectar collector tip straight onto a silicone bowl is majorly unsafe!

Most silicone rubbers (not cured with platinum etc) offgass ammonia starting at 140 centigrade. With a nectar collector setup, this is going straight into your airways. Please everybody, do not ever use a nectar collector on silicone - even proper oil slicks. Your nectar collector has a tip that is heated beyond the 500f that oil slicks are even rated for, let alone non platinum cured silicone!

Monsoon

If one were to look @ their "high" I like a graph, I want one with a big spike at the beginning, which slowly tails off.
The way I dab on the SiC is I'll draw just enough on my piece so as to not lose much vapor, paint the dab all around the the surface then place the carb cap on and start ripping. I usually leave the cap on until I'm nearly done. It milks pretty good right after capping but higher temps will make it vape faster so you'll get more milkiness. I strongly suggest you experiment with temps and enjoy your time doing so :science:.

For the "high" profile that you're looking for, I think it's going to be more dependent on the strain type more than anything else. Tolerance and a million other things also play a factor too of course.

alittledabwilldoya'

Here she is:

eIdlfsc.jpg

:D:love::D

Whoa, bro I am so glad you have gotten onto SiC now. Using a nectar collector tip straight onto a silicone bowl is majorly unsafe!

Most silicone rubbers (not cured with platinum etc) offgass ammonia starting at 140 centigrade. With a nectar collector setup, this is going straight into your airways. Please everybody, do not ever use a nectar collector on silicone - even proper oil slicks. Your nectar collector has a tip that is heated beyond the 500f that oil slicks are even rated for, let alone non platinum cured silicone!

Yikes!
Even silicone approved for baking?
Baking temperatures definitely exceed 140C.

@weenstoned: thank you for the link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom