Show your Li-ions you love them

OF

I have long been a champion of 'don't fully charge your battery if you want it to last', seems Elon Musk finally listened to me:

The man sells a LOT of 18650s in every Tesla.....and a LOT of Teslas. He knows his business (making electric cars that use the same 'battery' type we do in our portables). He has good reason to want the battery packs to last as long as possible.....as do his customers.

So he purposely programs them to stop charging early, same as I've been advocating for some time now. The reasoning behind this can be found on this link:
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

The discussion about this is around 'table 4' about half way down. Simply stopping 10% sooner will double your useful battery life. Guys selling you vapes do so based on run time and want the biggest possible number to advertise. They sure don't want to lower that number since their competitor are sure not to. OK, they probably want to sell you more sooner as well, their interest in lifespan ends when the warranty does?

Your call, of course, but 'Elon says'.......

Regards to all.

OF

Tranquility

Your call, of course, but 'Elon says'.......
Until Musk puts a man on Mars, I'll go with @OF for my battery questions. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.

On a side, battery-related, note; what do we do with problematic Li-Ion's today? I have a couple that don't hold enough charge and one that has a tear in the plastic sleeving (That I am not going to re-wrap.) that I have to dispose of and there is not good guidance out there on what to do with them.

There is the 14 point plan at wikihow (https://www.wikihow.com/Dispose-of-Lithium-Batteries), but would hope there is something easier than taping them up and storing them in a cool dry place until I have enough to put some effort into finding a final resting place.

badbee

Completely true, but then on the other hand new batteries cost all of $8 each. If extending the life is evenly slightly inconvenient it isn't worth it to me. If I had $8000 worth of them in my car I would feel differently. It depends on your usage pattern whether the cost saving is worth worrying about.

OF

On a side, battery-related, note; what do we do with problematic Li-Ion's today?

Check with your local 'waste disposal service' ('the garbage guys'). Here you can collect batteries of all types, but them in a plastic bag on top of the 'can' (plastic bin in our case) on collection day and the driver puts the bag in a bin on the truck. They are sorted by type (some have lead) and recycled/disposed of properly. All for 'free' and very easy to do......if you know.

There are recycling centers that take them, but this is much easier.

Completely true, but then on the other hand new batteries cost all of $8 each. If extending the life is evenly slightly inconvenient it isn't worth it to me.

Agreed. But for units where such replacement is not possible, like say Solo, it can be a big plus to last 2 or 3 times longer?

As I said, you call. But most......no, make that 'almost all' owners don't know this? Informed choices and all that.

Regards to all.

OF

Top Bottom