Should I buy whiskey, and if so, what brand should I buy?

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Wine_Coolers-2.jpg

Remix-drinks.jpg

In reference to what is not a manly drink.

I like Remy Martin VSOP! [Cognac]

SalamiCity

Also make sure to get http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-667766/ Whisky Stones!!!

I don't recommend the one in the link, I just used it to show it off. There are many stones out there, the ones I saw my buddy had were much nicer!

The granite stones get cold, and instead of liquefying and ruining taste like ice cubes do, these wont!

Besides, if you live in a place like I do with shitty ass water the ice will make your nice drink, taste like asshole soup!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Also make sure to get http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-667766/ Whisky Stones!!!

I don't recommend the one in the link, I just used it to show it off. There are many stones out there, the ones I saw my buddy had were much nicer!

The granite stones get cold, and instead of liquefying and ruining taste like ice cubes do, these wont!

Besides, if you live in a place like I do with shitty ass water the ice will make your nice drink, taste like asshole soup!

The problem with whisky stones is that they (or anything chilled) alter the flavour and aroma of the drink. They make it less intense, which I (and many many others) find undesirable. To get the most flavour and aroma from your whisky, it should be warmed slightly not chilled. That's why snifters are shaped so that you naturally cup them in your hands.

SalamiCity

The problem with whisky stones is that they (or anything chilled) alter the flavour and aroma of the drink. They make it less intense, which I (and many many others) find undesirable. To get the most flavour and aroma from your whisky, it should be warmed slightly not chilled. That's why snifters are shaped so that you naturally cup them in your hands.

Interesting, I just learned about the stones a few daysa go, when a buddy said he uses them, and not ice.

I really know nothing about alcohol as a personally dislike beer, but I would like to find a nice drink that I can sip on and enjoy, instead of a lot of the crap I see.

Good to know about the stones, weird being warm, but flavor is important.

SalamiCity,

lwien

Fine Scotch is supposed to be drunk neat or with water (not ice) from the same source used to make the whisky. (Hrm. My stupid spell-checker thinks whisky is spelled with an E. Not in Scotland or Canada, doofus!) I drink mine neat, but if you want to open up the nose and flavour, add a single drop of water. Ice will alter the taste significantly, and not in a good way in my opinion. Like @lwien, I drink sip whisky for the flavour. The only type of whisk(e)y I don't like is bourbon. The sweetness overpowers everything else.

Yup.

When vaked, I just love how the taste just flows over my tongue. All it takes is hardly even a sip and my taste buds go....................:o......:p.

My favorite is McCallan 12 - 30 yr old.

Me too along with Balvenie Double Barrel. Don't like my single malts too smokey, but love the sherry overtones when they do some aging in sherry barrels.

The McCallans are really nice.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
When vaked, I just love how the taste just flows over my tongue. All it takes is hardly even a sip and my taste buds go....................:o......:p.

It's extremely rare that I would be sipping without vaping, but I love it even then. I sip just enough to get the taste, no more. I can make 5 ml (about a tsp) last all night. This is a good thing since my preferred Scotch (The Glenlivet 18) costs about $100. It's the same as cannabis, really. My preferred method of ingestion allows me to buy top shelf product because the cost amortized over the consumption time is actually pretty low.

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
Amortization in a whiskey thread. Yeah, with some of these whiskey's you do have to take out a second mortgage. :D

deadheadbill,

Caligula

Maximus
You guys got me to open a bottle of JW Blue Label that I've been sitting on for half a decade. LOL.

And yes I know... I already catch shit from my friends who remind me that JW isn't a "real" whiskey. I also use it to make whisky sours, so suck it (black label only... I'm not THAT insane)! Heh.

Caligula,

djonkoman

I also like a good whiskey now and then. the bottle that I presently have standing around is tulamore dew, I first drank it in an irish pub(in the netherlands, not actrually in ireland), and discovered there that I liked it.

djonkoman,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You guys got me to open a bottle of JW Blue Label that I've been sitting on for half a decade. LOL.

And yes I know... I already catch shit from my friends who remind me that JW isn't a "real" whiskey. I also use it to make whisky sours, so suck it (black label only... I'm not THAT insane)! Heh.

In that case I'll take whatever your friends turn down as "not real." There are excellent blended Scotches and I hear that's one of them.

Caligula

Maximus
Last edited:

craZivn

Another vote for Chivas Regal, excellent sipping whiskey in an affordable package.
Jameson is good too but I prefer Chivas.

I'm also very fond of "Missouri Moonshine" which is not moonshine at all but 100-proof whiskey made by Crown Valley Distilling in MO. Whenever my friends visit from that area I have them bring me a bottle.

craZivn,

Ansel

a quarter of whisky once a week or fortnight is most agreeable.

Ansel,

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
@pakalolo , I know you don't care for bourbons and neither do I for the most part. however try this one if you can find it. It is Pappy at 1/2 the price(google it for the story) and is reasonably dry for a bourbon.

894876_488039564588811_940122486_o.jpg

RaoulDuke007

Redbreast is my sipper of choice. It's a bit on the sweet side, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

RaoulDuke007,
Top Bottom