Shelf Life of Cookies with Coconut Oil

Treeburner

I've been cooking my cannabis lately instead of smoking or vaping, and have settled on 1/2oz of high grade bud per 1/2 cup of coconut oil made into oatmeal raisin cookies with .25g per cookie. Three per day keeps me good all day long.

Instead of having to cook so often I made a batch of 112 cookies today, but started wondering how long cannabis coconut oil (in the cookies) will last before it starts going bad? I know the potency won't decrease in a month especially refrigerated as I've kept weed cookies made with butter that long before, but with Coconut oil how long would they last in the fridge? I'm not at all concerned with a month, but would they go bad eventually (like a year for example)?

Thanks,
Treeburner

MinnBobber

I use coconut oil a lot. Virgin or extra virgin coconut oil lasts indefinitely, even stored at room temp.
Refined coconut oil has a much shorter shelf life.
So, if you are using virgin/ extra virgin, the oil part of the cookies would last much longer than a butter based cookie.

Do you have a freezer area available for the biggest portion of the cookies as that works best for long term?

Most indicate cookies in the freezer, in a good airtight container to help prevent freezer burn retain "best quality" for 6-8 months BUT can be kept indefinitely if frozen properly.
Ratings for storage in the refrig part say much shorter, like 10 days.

Due to the high value of these cookies, I'd wrap snugly in aluminum foil and then place inside a Tupperware type hard plastic/airtight container and I'd be confident of at least a year plus.

Midnight Toker

That is not a drug, it’s a plant.....
Freezing is a great idea like the others have said. What I do is freeze the infused cookie dough. I mix my dough with a 2:1 canna oil to regular oil ratio and then roll all the dough into 3 balls. One ball gets baked and the other 2 balls go in the freezer, individually sealed. One ball is about 5-6 medium sized cookies. In my head, I get a small batch of fresh cookies each time and I don't feel pressure to eat more before they won't go bad.

Treeburner

Really, 10 days in the fridge? I've had butter cookies at room temperature for at least 2 months and although they dried out quite a bit the butter didn't go bad or anything, and any potency loss was negligible. What would make butter last so much longer than coconut oil? By the way, mine is the cheaper refined stuff, but considering the cost of the weed I will look at getting the Virgin variety.

I do have access to a freezer so in the meantime that's what I'll do. Also, my most recent batch is killer, added 2 oz of bud that was butane extracted which makes the cookies kick like a mule!

Thanks,
Treeburner

Last edited:

MinnBobber

To clarify the "cookies last 10 days in a fridge" from baking websites. They are talking about maintaining a high quality cookie. After 10 days, it's not going bad bad, it just isn't quite like a fresh cookie anymore.
Some cookies, even sitting out, will last a long long time as they just get drier than the Sahara Desert.

Virgin coconut oil lasts indefinitely. The refined version also is very stable, lasts a long time.
Refined lasts 2 years past expiration date so it's no slouch either.

Virgin has a slight taste of coconut--never bothers me.
Refined is supposed to have no coconut taste.

Virgin coconut oil has smoke point of 350 F
Refined coconut oil has smoke point of 450 F. I just discovered this......

I use it virgin coconut oil to sear meats and have been disappointed with it smoking as cooks rave about ability to get their coconut oil extremely hot. Now I know the problem.

Virgin is rated much better for you health wise.

Treeburner

Thanks for the information, confident in my technique now so it's good to know I can make larger quantities as needed. Picked up a cloth filter bag made for making nut milk, should work better for removing plant material from my water/oil mixture than the metal strainer I've been using and then I'll have perfected the base for countless culinary possibilities.

Thanks,
Treeburner

Treeburner,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH
Top Bottom