Shelf Life of Cannaoil?

hatecraft

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. First of all, I have no problem actually making cannaoil. I've done it a few times before and picked up lots of tips by lurking around FC. I have about a QP of finely ground ABV and was wondering if I could make a big batch of cannaoil without having to worry about it "going bad". The reason I want to do it all at once is because the wife has never been to keen about my favorite recreation. She tolerates it so long as I keep it on the down low. I figure if I'm gonna get yelled at for stinking up the kitchen, it may as well be as infrequently as possible. So, I would just like to know if the large badge will keep. Would time on the shelf do anything to the potency? Are there any other concerns I should have? Thanks in advance.

hatecraft,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Another thing you can do is still use your 'measured doses' from your ABV but not COOK it to do the extraction.

Here is one thing to try -

Measure your oil for the batch of whatevers you are cooking. (Usually 1/2 - 1 cup of oil) and combine it with the ground up ABV for your recipe. (Personally I use 14g per batch) Do this in an airtight container - heres the trick. Add 1tsp of white vinegar and a pinch of sea salt to the mix and cover it.

Hide the container (keep in in the dark) for at least 3 days to let the extraction take place.

Viola. You now have infused oil without cooking. This is the method I have used for my several past batches and they all come out awesome. I have heard other stories of success with this method as well and the best part is NO SMELL. I too live in a prohibitionist household where it has to be out of sight out of mind from the wife. :uhoh:

Good luck!

AGBeer,

Murph

Vaporist Extraordinaire
No way! I'm a long time bong smoker but I'm new to vapes and oils and all this crazy stuff. What kind of oil do you use? Its really that simple?

Murph,

Tuck

I just used canola oil when I did this.

Agbeer, do you strain? I did not strain the only time I've used this method.

for the op, you could always freeze it if you are worried about it.

Tuck,

Murph

Vaporist Extraordinaire
And you can cook with this oil or does it make oil to smoke/vapre?
Sorry again to sound like a complete noob but we have to start somewhere right :)
I just got some of that hash oil last night and boy was it strong! Dripping 3 drops per bowl had my head up in the clouds.

Murph,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
The oils talked about here are generally for cooking/baking although some use coconut oil to make capsules.

And yes...it is that easy ;) After the oil is infused you can use it in many different recipes.

I generally like to strain mine although some people don't. Personal preference.

Lo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
For me, I dont bother straining it - I just make sure that it is COMPLETELY powdered in my coffee grinder first. One thing I DO do is parse through all of my ABV to make sure I dont have any stems (any) as they tend to not get ground as well.

Throw some nuts and mint/choco chips into the mix that I am making and you cant even tell! (although I have noticed that they have a distinct smell to them) But boy are they delicious!

As far as the oils that you were speaking of Murph, that would be a QWISO (Quick wash ISO) that is made for smoking purposes. You can also do an extraction using (drinkable) ethyl alcohol as well if you plan to use it in edibles.

AGBeer,

hatecraft

Never heard of making cannaoil without heating it. If it's as easy as waiting 3 days, then I'm all aboard that option. AGBeer, what does the white vinegar and sea salt actually do for the process? Do you use vegetable or canola for this method?

hatecraft,

Tuck

The vinegar and sea salt act as an abrasive to help break up the goodies. The one time I did it, I would also shake the jar once or twice day. And I let everything hang out in the jar for a week. Either oil will work.

Tuck,

hatecraft

Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking about just throwing the powdered ABV straight in the brownie mix after doing more research. By research, I mean sitting here rockin' the hell out of my MFLB and watching Youtube videos. But the "no heat oil" is definitely something I'll be trying. I guess the oil would just get more potent the longer I let it sit? Would there be a certain amount of time that it would cease to become beneficial and start to become detrimental?

hatecraft,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I dont think it will become detrimental, but more 'not necessarily necessary'. I was basically following the guidelines set forth in another thread where this was experimented with. (I cant remember who - but if you are reading -PROPS!!-) They did a series of X number of days. They seemed to settle on 3 days as the magic spot, so I went with that.

I just liked this method because heat wasnt necessary to do the extraction into the oil. (It just took a little longer)

AGBeer,

hatecraft

Thanks for all the tips guys. I was so anxious, I just threw 30 grams of ABV straight into the brownie mix. The ABV was powdered to near the consistency of the brownie mix anyway. 12 brownies at 2.5 grams per brownie was really nice. Took about 45 minutes to kick in. Two brownies locked me to the couch for hours.

hatecraft,
Top Bottom