Sharing Tech. 440°-545° dabs with quartz inserts

sevenhundredten

Hello all! Long time reader of FC, returning after some time away from the forum. I've been combustion free since 9/13/12. Reporting from Denver, CO.

I am hear to tell you my life has changed in a great way over the last few months with some new tech. You may already know this tech, but I am here to share with those who don't.

I am getting higher than I ever have before with better flavor, with less product, with easier clean up.

440°-545° dabs, with a clean repeatable set up for around $500. This is a set up I can easily pack up in a small case or backpack, ideal for glass shows and events.

I am using a Disorderly Conduction Micro PeliNail (~$300 USD) with a 25mm coil, Joel Halen Quartz 25mm flat top banger (~$180 USD) with quartz inserts (~$15 - $60), and a bubble carb cap.

The best dab is a dab off clean quartz.

To achieve a clean dab, I am using quartz inserts. To use them, I am letting them heat up fully in my banger before taking my dab. This takes about a minute to reach full temp. Once my dab is completed, I am immediately taking the insert out of the banger using reverse tweezers (sold with the inserts), dropping it into a small mason jar of ISO alcohol while hot. The insert is instantly cooled off. I then wipe the ouside of the insert with a papertowel, and the inside with a qtip. The banger itself will have a very minimal amount of oil that needs to be wiped off, but shouldnt even take a whole qtip, and may not even have any spill over outside of the insert. This cleaning process takes about 30 seconds.

I have never had a better dab than with this set up.

Lets discuss

sevenhundredten

I forgot to say that Disorderly Conduction sells coils that work with most enails so you can upgrade your existing coil and nail to 100% quartz without dropping the coin for a new unit.

sevenhundredten,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Usually I'm on a sapphire halo powered with an auber RDK-200 and flat coil. I play around with the temps a fair bit, but find that for me, below 590 F and I just don't get the punch I'm looking for in a dab.

I do find I can sit and huff on the oil for as many hits as I like without taste degradation when temps are below ~570, but again, no matter how long it stays tasty, I don't get that punchiness I am craving.

I also feel that low temp is better suited for rice grain sized dabs, and find that small size a bit unfulfilling. I like a little bit larger dab at around 590-605 on my controller. I can't keep at it without the flavor waning by the third or fourth inhalation, but the first flavor is more intense, so I am happy with the exchange.

Can't see ever going into a quartz banger from my current setup, but I definitely want to see if a better quality coil makes a difference next time I grab one. I also speculate that if the d-nail halo design incorporated a coil shroud to heat sink, I would probably enjoy lower temps more efficiently... But who knows.

Can I ask why you prefer quartz over say silicone carbide or sapphire?

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
The best dab is a dab off clean quartz.

Lets discuss

I like the method and believe it's super tasty but wow what a process and that setup is a bit spendy! I'm using static lower temps with a SiC dish and just do a lil mop up with a qtip after each dab, and a high temp burn off regularly.

I assume since you say that it's the best dab, you've tried a lot of other nails. What was it that drew you back to quartz? I went Ti->Quartz->Sapphire->SiC

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
I'm going to put my SiC halo into the NV wraparound whenever it finally shows up. Would you say you prefer that over the sapphire halo/what reasons? I've been thinking about going back to SiC a fair bit lately since it seems like it shines in the temp range I prefer anyways, if not as long lasting.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I'm going to put my SiC halo into the NV wraparound whenever it finally shows up. Would you say you prefer that over the sapphire halo/what reasons? I've been thinking about going back to SiC a fair bit lately since it seems like it shines in the temp range I prefer anyways, if not as long lasting.

I do, for a few reasons.
1) SiC halo is way more durable than sapphire halo (mine cracked within 3 months),
2) The SiC doesn't need to run too much hotter on the PID to achieve the same dish temp as sapphire (+20-25F),
3) The flavor difference between the two are IMO marginal

I might notice a little more flavor on the sapphire but I can't discount any potential placebo effect. When you spend $300 on a nail, you're likely going to convince yourself that it tastes superior to everything.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Well, the Sapphire does have a stronger flavor profile imo, but it is more pronounced at lower temps, where you lose the stronger effects in exchange. I think it has it's place with high terp extracts, but yeah, not worth the extra cost. SiC is the best middle ground for an everyday dab surface.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
The dollar definitely doesn't go as far on the flavor wheel with sapphire as SiC but that's why I like this quartz setup.

Quartz tastes amazing IMO it's always been the cleaning that was the PITA and while the OP's nail is not something I would buy personally as there are cheap knockoffs that are 1/10th the price.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I believe technically a quartz insert drop as noted in this threads original post has the longest thermal curve of all since it starts from ambient temperature.

That was one of D-nail's main criteria but would be a hassle without an insert as you would otherwise have to start your enail from cold each time.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
I believe technically a quartz insert drop as noted in this threads original post has the longest thermal curve of all since it starts from ambient temperature.

That was one of D-nail's main criteria but would be a hassle without an insert as you would otherwise have to start your enail from cold each time.

Really? I could swear they stressed how important starting from a stabilized temp was absolutely critical? I guess Ill re read it yet again.

Maybe for drop ins, but Im talking uptemps as I thought we decided that was the future or dabbing?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Really? I could swear they stressed how important starting from a stabilized temp was absolutely critical? I guess Ill re read it yet again.

Maybe for drop ins, but Im talking uptemps as I thought we decided that was the future or dabbing?

An insert drop is an uptemp hit. :tup:

D-nail's guide lists suggested starting temperature at 350-425 because the cool down time between hits would have been unreasonable to start from like 70F on the enail; but that's the effect of doing a legit insert drop.

BTW Fadespace makes a silicon carbide insert for 24-25mm bangers :p

Last edited:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
An insert drop is an uptemp hit. :tup:

D-nail's guide lists suggested starting temperature at 350-425 because the cool down time between hits would have been unreasonable to start from like 70F on the enail; but that's the effect of doing a legit insert drop.

BTW Fadespace makes a silicon carbide insert for 24-25mm bangers :p

Not trying to be that guy but thats semantics, an insert drop is an insert drop and an uptemp is an uptemp. Id prefer to let rectangles just be rectangles if they arnt squares.

No where at all does dnail say or even suggest what you're saying, Ill agree with you that it would take a long time (unreasonable is relative because I and others think uptemps are borderline as is, let alone with inserts) but that has nothing at all to do with what they were explaining and I still stand by my earlier comment.

ensabbahnur,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
If you can't see that an insert drop is ALWAYS going to be an uptemp hit then you're stoned lol.

Dnail suggests 350F for SIC and 425F for other materials, to start exactly what I said above.

I'm not even sure what you're disagreeing with to be honest :shrug:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
If you can't see that an insert drop is ALWAYS going to be an uptemp hit then you're stoned lol.

Dnail suggests 350F for SIC and 425F for other materials, to start exactly what I said above.

I'm not even sure what you're disagreeing with to be honest :shrug:

I disagreed, again, with quartz being the superior material due to it having a larger thermal curve, because it doesn't. I also disagreed with your assumptions as to why dnail implemented their stabilized uptemp methodology instead of pure from zero uptemps, the SIC Halo has a very short cool down time that ESPECIALLY when quartz torchers still can torch for multiple mins and wait just as long for a cool down, can hardly be classified as unreasonable as something like a Liger would be. I agree with you that from zero uptemps OR drop ins can yield the best results but, again, they shouldn't be classified as the same thing, if youre driving a Ferrari, you say you're driving a Ferrari even though you could say you are driving a car....you just be more specific when the circumstances call for it. I feel this entire thing could have been skipped if I had just clarified a from zero static uptemp vs a preheated drop in uptemp......figured uptemp vs drop in would suffice.

^skip all that mess if you'd like and let me repeat,

Sapphire is better then quartz for uptemps, although I prolly wouldn't try it with drop in uptemps. Literally all I'm trying to say.

ensabbahnur,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I disagreed, again, with quartz being the superior material due to it having a larger thermal curve, because it doesn't.

Any material started from ambient temperatures will have a longer thermal curve. But since quartz has the lowest thermal conductivity, it does in fact have the longest thermal curve. I don't see how that's subjective. I didn't say it automatically has the best flavor or anything, since taste is very subjective.

You can search my posts above and note I never once used the words "superior material" that's just something you interjected cause you felt I was ragging on your sapphire but I wasn't and never have. I know you hate quartz and find it inferior, I get it. I got nothing bad to say about silicon carbide or sapphire.

I agree with you that from zero uptemps OR drop ins can yield the best results but, again, they shouldn't be classified as the same thing

How can you do an insert drop and not get an uptemp? Who are you giving ownership to the term uptemp? Even a simple wax pen operates as an uptemp, it's not specific to one apparatus.

sevenhundredten

I hope everyone is having a terpy day.

I think sapphire is a fantastic dabbing surface, however iirc, the last time I was around it was quite some time ago on some HE Ti nails. I generally use 10mm female rigs, so Ti isn't really of interest, and concerns me that my rig would get too hot. My glass joints stay a bit above room temp but do not get hot for any reason. Also, as someone had mentioned, you can not clean your hot sapphire or similar surface directly into iso. With quartz, I find it much easier to stay clean even with some heavy usage.

I have not been around SiC. It isn't a common find in Colorado. I really don't shop online unless I am working directly with a glass blower.

I take quite a few small dabs of different strains with a very high terp profile, so I enjoy the lower temps for that reason. I usually have a dab profile that consists of a thca crystal and a wet dabber of terps.

I am not using my inserts for drops, as I find it takes too long to heat the concentrate this way. I like to heat the insert almost fully before taking my dab. This usually only takes about 30 seconds or so.

As far as price is concerned, I wanted a set up like this for a few years, and decided it was finally time to do it. The set up had a 2 year warranty, and should last much longer than that.

My girlfriend, is a non-cannabis user, that lives with me. Her house burnt down as a kid. I dabbed with a torch for a year or more while we've been together and she was pretty ok with it, however I could tell there was still a reasonable amount of fear from this previous experience, and this helped with my justification of buying an enail.

Last edited:
sevenhundredten,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
SiC requires a bit more equipment to manufacturer than a quartz banger, that's why it's not easily sourced locally. You can find manufacturers online that produce them, d-nail, CCA, TAG. It's an extremely durable material that is easily deep cleaned with just heat and perhaps some distilled water on a qtip if it's really dirty.

Glad yer quartz is hooking you up proper!

psychonaut,
Top Bottom