share that dab stash! (picture thread)

whats your favorite kind of concentrate?

• Total voters

BoogerMan

I went with 2 coffee filters with a super fine micron screen. Not sure what micron but it's like cloth. I can't even see through the tiny holes. There are so many tiny ones haha :)

Anyways today went better. No blow out :ko: 24g of Dreamtonite nug. Very Sativa dominant (horrible indoor plant unless using scrog). The color looks pretty light so far.

In the chamber now. Will update with a pic tonight after I patty it up :tup:

4EBA90E3-AAEE-4E50-967F-514ED551D100_zps5nln24oo.jpg

EDIT:
All pattied up. Back in the chamber for another 12-24 hours :D

513CDC3C-372B-44ED-BC83-9790290DD428_zpsnttlifmq.jpg

Yum yum yum yum :D
Should be done by tomorrow. One more flip to go!

70727571-3BD9-4FCA-A00F-01CE48D175C6_zpssvcg9aay.jpg

A23CA918-14B2-4509-BF40-0355EDFF51CB_zpsh2vsen0a.jpg

Last edited:

BoogerMan

My dreamtonite popcorn nug I ran a couple weeks ago crumbled up a few days after I took it out of the vac. It went from gold to this really strange gray/dark purple color seen in the 2nd pic below.

Went from this:
67ACCE87-9CF5-4682-9F62-3E85E1964527_zpsc9dbhpak.jpg

To this:
F851C092-CDEC-47EF-A55A-9AA7AA4ED260_zpsb16hzwtw.jpg

I winterized it with 100% Methanol from DudaDiesel and got it back to this. Happy early shatterday :tup:
F40345BF-05AA-4304-8EF0-2C1A5CCA25AA_zpst4cdexqc.jpg

2FC07884-064C-4EA8-9CE9-5B80F165DF08_zpsqsvwygps.jpg

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
My dreamtonite popcorn nug I ran a couple weeks ago crumbled up a few days after I took it out of the vac. It went from gold to this really strange gray/dark purple color seen in the 2nd pic below.

Went from this:
67ACCE87-9CF5-4682-9F62-3E85E1964527_zpsc9dbhpak.jpg

To this:
F851C092-CDEC-47EF-A55A-9AA7AA4ED260_zpsb16hzwtw.jpg

I winterized it with 100% Methanol from DudaDiesel and got it back to this. Happy early shatterday :tup:
F40345BF-05AA-4304-8EF0-2C1A5CCA25AA_zpst4cdexqc.jpg

2FC07884-064C-4EA8-9CE9-5B80F165DF08_zpsqsvwygps.jpg
Wait, what METHANOL?!?
Methyl Alcohol?
Isn't that a no-no?
This is the first thin I have seen Methanol mentioned.
@herbivore21

herbivore21

Wait, what METHANOL?!?
Methyl Alcohol?
Isn't that a no-no?
@herbivore21
Yup, basically with effective and exhaustive purge it is no issue at all like was said above ;)

The reason I am still scared by this idea is the fact that seriously 80%+ of the people I've known to make oils do not purge completely, generally still slick on your mats with no chance of scraping up with a tool. This with methanol would be ugly stuff!

I can't see the pictures for some reason (new device) but if there are any bubbles left (seriously, none! Don't take chances with methanol!) in that winterized product, I would NOT dab that! Do not risk safety for the chance that these might be co2 bubbles with methanol in the equation!

I really do not mean to rag on anyone's oil, like I say, I can't even see it - but I say this just in case. We gotta look after one another around these parts!

Last edited:

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
The pics look good. Except for the strange purple crumble.:shrug: Only a few very small bubbles.
I feel better about it after @herbivore21 giving the ok to properly purger Methanol extract.
But...I'll pass. I'll stick with tane and KX.
Don't they put something in methanol to discourage drinking it?

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Don't they put something in methanol to discourage drinking it?
Methanol in and of itself is dangerous to drink. In fact it is used to denature the ethanol I buy at the hardware store. This article describes why methanol is bad for you. First you have to drink it, then the liver converts it to formic acid which is the bad part. Seems to me its not an issue for vapers as long as its well purged.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2013/09/10/3845522.htm

How is methanol harmful?
Methanol is converted in the body into formic acid, the same toxin that is found in the venom of ants. It's the buildup of this in the blood that causes the devastating problems, says Professor Paul Haber, the head of Drug and Alcohol Services at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney.

These include:
  • kidney failure
  • problems with your heart and circulation,
  • liver damage
  • visual disturbances such as blurred vision, tunnel vision, changes in colour perception, and temporary or permanent blindness.
  • nerve and brain damage
"As time progresses, you lose your vision, you're losing integrity of your thinking processes, maybe other organs are affected. It is a very, very unpleasant process," says toxicologist Professor Chris Winder.

What are the signs of methanol poisoning?
The earliest signs of methanol poisoning can be hard to distinguish from the normal effects of alcohol. You can develop mild symptoms similar to alcohol intoxication within an hour, along with nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.

After 12 to 24 hours, the more significant symptoms can develop, such as headache, dizziness, vertigo and blurred vision.

"The bad thing is that it takes 12 to 24 hours, and often people have been solidly drunk and sleeping," says Gordian Fulde.

Ignorance of the issue can also lead to misdiagnosis or critical delays in diagnosis.

If eye symptoms such as blurred vision or difficulty looking a bright light develop, then "they really are in trouble," says Fulde. "That's when they really need to do something."

How is methanol poisoning treated?
The first piece of advice from all the experts is to quickly seek medical help if you fear you may have been poisoned with methanol.

"People know what it feels like when you've had an alcoholic drink and if something does not feel like normal alcohol intoxication then they would be concerned and should go to a hospital," says Paul Haber.

At the hospital, doctors can treat methanol poisoning by administering ethanol, which prevents the toxicity by stopping the production of formic acid.

"The sooner it is given, the better," Haber says.

Another antidote is a drug called fomepizole. Like ethanol, this drug inhibits the conversion of methanol into toxic compounds in the body. Hospitals may also use hemodialysis to clear the methanol from the blood.

Last edited:

herbivore21

Methanol in and of itself is dangerous to drink. In fact it is used to denature the ethanol I buy at the hardware store. This article describes why methanol is bad for you. First you have to drink it, then the liver converts it to formic acid which is the bad part. Seems to me its not an issue for vapers as long as its well purged.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2013/09/10/3845522.htm

How is methanol harmful?
Methanol is converted in the body into formic acid, the same toxin that is found in the venom of ants. It's the buildup of this in the blood that causes the devastating problems, says Professor Paul Haber, the head of Drug and Alcohol Services at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney.

These include:
  • kidney failure
  • problems with your heart and circulation,
  • liver damage
  • visual disturbances such as blurred vision, tunnel vision, changes in colour perception, and temporary or permanent blindness.
  • nerve and brain damage
"As time progresses, you lose your vision, you're losing integrity of your thinking processes, maybe other organs are affected. It is a very, very unpleasant process," says toxicologist Professor Chris Winder.

What are the signs of methanol poisoning?
The earliest signs of methanol poisoning can be hard to distinguish from the normal effects of alcohol. You can develop mild symptoms similar to alcohol intoxication within an hour, along with nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.

After 12 to 24 hours, the more significant symptoms can develop, such as headache, dizziness, vertigo and blurred vision.

"The bad thing is that it takes 12 to 24 hours, and often people have been solidly drunk and sleeping," says Gordian Fulde.

Ignorance of the issue can also lead to misdiagnosis or critical delays in diagnosis.

If eye symptoms such as blurred vision or difficulty looking a bright light develop, then "they really are in trouble," says Fulde. "That's when they really need to do something."

How is methanol poisoning treated?
The first piece of advice from all the experts is to quickly seek medical help if you fear you may have been poisoned with methanol.

"People know what it feels like when you've had an alcoholic drink and if something does not feel like normal alcohol intoxication then they would be concerned and should go to a hospital," says Paul Haber.

At the hospital, doctors can treat methanol poisoning by administering ethanol, which prevents the toxicity by stopping the production of formic acid.

"The sooner it is given, the better," Haber says.

Another antidote is a drug called fomepizole. Like ethanol, this drug inhibits the conversion of methanol into toxic compounds in the body. Hospitals may also use hemodialysis to clear the methanol from the blood.
That article is from the Australian public broadcaster, is not a scientific publication. The article also only addresses methanol in terms of drinking because at the time of writing (and potentially to this day) Australian tourists were getting themselves into big trouble drinking home made alcohols with methanol while they were travelling in Bali.

This article cannot be taken to mean that vaporizing methanol is ok. It simply does not address the topic as it was not relevant to the purpose of the article.

I acknowledge that tdub did not say otherwise, however; I just want to make sure we are explicit for any readers that it is NOT ADVISABLE to inhale heated methanol in any amount.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
This article cannot be taken to mean that vaporizing methanol is ok.
I never said it was ok. In fact I said
Seems to me its not an issue for vapers as long as its well purged.
Vaporizing any alcohol, even ethanol with these new nebulizers, seems to me to be a bad idea. The point I was making was to the nature of methanol itself, and its toxicity, so the country of origin was irrelevant as the information I quoted is correct. Check wikipedia if you disagree.

herbivore21

Whoaaaa, slow down there my friend:

I acknowledge that tdub did not say otherwise

I know you didn't suggest it. My post was not directed at you. It was directed more generally at lurkers and others who might read that article and then think that because that entire explanation of 'how is methanol harmful' only address drinking, that only drinking methanol is harmful. ;)

BoogerMan

Wait, what METHANOL?!?
Methyl Alcohol?
Isn't that a no-no?
@herbivore21

I have had RSO made with methanol. As long as you purge correctly there is no danger. It is available locally as race gas. Cheap and pure.

Sorry to cause so much commotion about winterizing with Methanol! Yes, it is very dangerous and can be very harmful like @t-dub and @herbivore21 stated.

Yup, basically with effective and exhaustive purge it is no issue at all like was said above ;)

The reason I am still scared by this idea is the fact that seriously 80%+ of the people I've known to make oils do not purge completely, generally still slick on your mats with no chance of scraping up with a tool. This with methanol would be ugly stuff!

I can't see the pictures for some reason (new device) but if there are any bubbles left (seriously, none! Don't take chances with methanol!) in that winterized product, I would NOT dab that! Do not risk safety for the chance that these might be co2 bubbles with methanol in the equation!

I really do not mean to rag on anyone's oil, like I say, I can't even see it - but I say this just in case. We gotta look after one another around these parts!

Thanks for your concern @herbivore21!

Now, I will say that I am no scientist and no expert when it comes to making cannabis oil, but I have done a lot of research and I have had quite a bit of practice over the last 2 years.

I take all necessary safety precautions when using butane and methanol (masks, gloves, goggles, longs sleeves, blast outside, etc).

The Methanol I use is from Dudadiesel and is very pure from my understanding:
http://www.dudadiesel.com/msds/methanol.pdf
http://www.dudadiesel.com/msds/methanolCOA.pdf

The reason I use Methanol to winterize is because I read on skunkpharmresearch that Methanol is more polar than Isopropyl/Ethanol (Everclear)/acetone etc, so it actually does a better job of removing the non-polar plant waxes. It also leaves you with an end product that is a very stable glasslike shatter, which I prefer (I like the shatter consistency because I can handle it with my hands without it sticking to me, even when its 81F in my house).
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/getting-the-green-and-waxes-out-afterwards/comment-page-2/#comments

From the comments posted by Skunkpharmresearch in the above link:
"
Isopropyl isn’t as polar as ethanol or methanol, but it will remove some of the non polar plant waxes. Ethanol would be better and methanol would do the best job.

IPA is the least effective, ethanol next, and methanol most.

Polarity is a scale of least to most polar, as opposed to polar or non polar, but a dielectric constant of 15 is accepted as the breaking point, with Isopropyl only a 19.9. As a point of reference, ethanol has a DC of 24, methanol 32.7 and water 80.
"

Some basic facts:
Methanol has a boiling point of about 64.7C (148.5F) at 760mmHg (normal atmospheric pressure).
It has a heat of vaporization of 35.3 kJ/mol, so in a vacuum chamber pulled to 28.5mmHg, Methanol has a boiling point of -5C (23F).

I have actually tested this by putting a small amount of Methanol into a glass dish and putting it in the vacuum chamber at 78F and pulled to 28.5mmHg. That shit starts to boil up like crazy!

Methanol actually has a lower boiling point than Ethanol/Everclear (78.4C / 173F) and Isopropyl (82.6C / 180.7F), so Methanol is actually easier to purge compared to these other polar solvents that most people use!

After straining out the fats and lipids I let the Methanol solution evaporate outside at 70-90F (Arizona is already hot haha) for around 6-12 hours. This gets rid of the majority of the liquid which leaves me with a very sappy solution (something you would definitely not want to dab :puke:)
D0DFAB8A-2D7C-44D6-9F85-1BB337F6E7DC_zpseqtcx03a.jpg

I then put the sappy solution into my vacuum chamber pulled to 28.5mmHg with a 6cfm pump (I can't get it to 29.5mmHg because of the elevation in AZ. It would be pulling to 29.5mmHg if I was closer to sea level). The chamber is constantly heated between 105-110F using a reptile tank desert climate heat pad. I measure the bottom of the inside of the chamber with a K-type thermocouple sensor connected to a digital thermometer. You are probably wrong if you think your chamber is actually the same temperature as the heating pad. If your chamber is larger and thicker, the temperature of the actual chamber is most likely much lower than the heating pad, like mine is. Or if your chamber is smaller and thinner, it could be much hotter than the heating pad. My old chamber would get up to 130F on this heating pad because it was a lot smaller and the metal was a lot thinner.
13AF4484-72CF-4856-A411-BC85817DCFFA_zpsqlddetiw.jpg

3EA2C21B-72F4-4485-A059-A515786E902D_zpsyeae7pxo.jpg

Based off Skunkpharmresearch, methanol bubbles act similar to butane bubbles:
"The methanol bubbles are larger and randomly sized. Then they are gone, and only fine more or less equally sized fizzy C02 bubbles remain, the methanol is adequately purged."

So I purge for about 72-120 hours depending on the amount of oil I am winterizing.
This 3-5 day purge involves flipping the oil a minimum of 6 times (I flip about every 8-12 hours).

At this point there are no more large or medium or even small bubbles. Sometimes, if I purge long enough (for 4-5 days like I did on this 5g slab of oil I just dewaxed) I will see many tiny bubbles of the same size appear (like you can see in the pic of the slab in my previous post). These are just CO2 bubbles because I have started the decarboxylation process from purging at 105-110 for so long. Like @herbivore21 said, Methanol is nasty stuff, so I would rather start decarbing my oil a little and even sacrifice some of the terpenes, just to make sure there is no Methanol left in it. Even though the oil sometimes starts the decarb process, it still has a bunch of flavor and turns out pretty damn good if I say so myself :tup:

@herbivore21 @t-dub does it sound like I am getting all of the Methanol out?

Last edited:

BoogerMan

The DT nug I posted on Sunday already started buttering up :hmm: Just like the popcorn did. This strain is probably going to get the boot :goon: Seems like it is high in fats at lipids maybe?

Anyways, it's going to get winterized right now to turn it back to gold.

20982F7C-3EBB-4CEB-9131-32FE21AC5DED_zpsfhouputc.jpg

I lost about 0.8g of the 5g I just dewaxed that was made from the DT popcorn. It sure looks a lot better than the crumble it was before :rockon:

91D24542-3954-4C5B-A687-46090E4E04E8_zpslwx68xfh.jpg

On a more positive note, I ran some DT nug from another plant so hopefully this batch doesn't butter up :disgust: Maybe I will winterize it anyways. It tastes so good after it has been dewaxed.

Oh I also finally got a round pie Pyrex dish. I was able to form my slick sheet perfectly. It's 9.5" in diameter. My chamber is 10". Fits like a glove! I'm really liking the surface area I can get now :tup:

4FD43695-55D4-435A-834C-3D4FFD8F1605_zpsisatynni.jpg

Last edited:

Enchantre

Oil Painter
This is second-run grower's blend shatter, great balance of Hybrid/Indica/CBD-high buds. Purchased 5 grams, then won an additional 3.4 grams in the raffle drawing. Plunked it into the Jyarz Chico jyar with about a gram of my own "Borg" - mixed oils - and dubbed the entirety "The BORG":

eI9D5cm.jpg

Top Bottom