• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Sexual Harassment Accusations...

Msek

I would pose republican/democrat/politics, is a distraction to the discussion. Power through wealth, fame, politics, over a work subordinate, teacher - student, adult - child, diminished mental capacity, etc. like physical powers of muscle, knives, guns, roofies, etc. are unacceptable. A wink and a nod is too often deployed for non physical coercion.

There are also people who willing go along or even initiate sexual interaction to get ahead, then later present their story in a different light if the situation did not work out to their satisfaction. <--- another good reason not to go there if you are in the higher position. Also politics dirty tricks like last minute accusations which cannot be reconciled before a vote, etc.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Some media to help show the left has abusive humans too.

OaTEjwy.jpg

little maggie

My concern about some of these accusations is that they minimize some of the criminal sexual behavior of people like Weinstein and others who have raped and sexually assaulted women or men. To me that's not the same as those accused who were gross and disgusting. And it is not about sex ultimately but about power.
I find I'm just as angry at Pamela Anderson for her victim blaming even though I know she is an idiot: she marries a guy she's only known a few hours and is active in support of PETA! The problem is that she is saying what a lot of others believe. Aargh!!!

little maggie,
Reactions: steama

howie105

I now have a new bee in my bonnet (WHY, am I wearing a bonnet?) the attention is all on the media and political types, but no action has been taken to address normal folks who need help and make up the vast majority of victims.

howie105,

little maggie

I think it does help in several ways. This is the first wave of women speaking up and being heard. And it is because they are celebrities that it is getting news. First it gives a message to other women and men that sexual harrsment is not ok. A lot of those who've experienced it don't know that. Rape yes but not pinching a butt . Second it gives a message to perpetrators that it is not longer acceptable.
I don't think that many here are old enough to remember that PTSD wasn't treated as a mental health issue until women during the women's movement began speaking up about their experiences. In fact psychodynamic treatment which was the major model back then saw reports of trauma in a very different way. Well into the 70's and even 80's it was considered a fantasy.

little maggie

If by "our society" you mean cultures that are power-based (which are most) I agree. This behavior is not limited to the US.

little maggie,

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Sex education has been taught in schools for at least 40 years that I know of. A little over 2 decades ago it changed from just mechanics to "right and wrong" situations and was introduced at "Barney" level ages. Part of this education includes what is acceptable and what is not for both boys and girls. It is taught using age appropriate material. When the grade school my children attended planned to add curriculum for younger children the first thing the school did was call a meeting for all the parents so they could "See" what would be taught. I found the curriculum to be spot on and not even remotely sexual. The school gave the parents the option of having their children take a library class instead of the sex ed class if the parents where offended. I was shocked by the number of parents at the meeting who were so "scared" of the curriculum they signed up for the library class. It was like Barney talks about good touch and bad touch. @steama - I agree that in some cases the parents are the "WE" who are not comfortable with the topic and are placing their children in harms way because of their fear of the topic.

Many years later I had just finished working out in the garage and was walking through my living room with sweatpants on and my shirt off. One of my daughter's junior high school friends was sitting in the living room when I came walking by. When I stopped long enough to say hello she said "Mr. Highness you are making me uncomfortable because you are not wearing a shirt". My first thought was anger based "If I want to walk around without a shirt in my own home and it makes you uncomfortable you are welcome to leave". My second thought was "Hold on .... There's something I'm missing here since I've known the girl who is uncomfortable since she was 10 and we consider her like one of our own daughters". So I told her I was sorry I made her uncomfortable, took my shower and put a shirt on. Later, in private, I asked my daughter what the shirt thing was all about and she told me "We're taking a sex ed class and part of the class this week included ways men desensitize potential abuse victims. It included desensitizing the victim to various states of undress and can start with something like not wearing a shirt. We were told in the class not to take this lightly AND to practice standing up for ourselves when the opportunity presented itself". Did I like not being able to walk around my own home with a shirt off...Nope. Was I glad the young lady was strong enough and comfortable enough with me to "practice" like that...ABSOLUTELY.

Maybe now the parents who were so prudish will realize the value of facing their fears so their children may be able to protect themselves. Maybe now these topics will be put into practice because they are not only gaining acceptance but are being made socially acceptable/expected. I hope so......

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Sex education has been taught in schools for at least 40 years that I know of. A little over 2 decades ago it changed from just mechanics to "right and wrong" situations and was introduced at "Barney" level ages. Part of this education includes what is acceptable and what is not for both boys and girls. It is taught using age appropriate material. When the grade school my children attended planned to add curriculum for younger children the first thing the school did was call a meeting for all the parents so they could "See" what would be taught. I found the curriculum to be spot on and not even remotely sexual. The school gave the parents the option of having their children take a library class instead of the sex ed class if the parents where offended. I was shocked by the number of parents at the meeting who were so "scared" of the curriculum they signed up for the library class. It was like Barney talks about good touch and bad touch. @steama - I agree that in some cases the parents are the "WE" who are not comfortable with the topic and are placing their children in harms way because of their fear of the topic.

Many years later I had just finished working out in the garage and was walking through my living room with sweatpants on and my shirt off. One of my daughter's junior high school friends was sitting in the living room when I came walking by. When I stopped long enough to say hello she said "Mr. Highness you are making me uncomfortable because you are not wearing a shirt". My first thought was anger based "If I want to walk around without a shirt in my own home and it makes you uncomfortable you are welcome to leave". My second thought was "Hold on .... There's something I'm missing here since I've known the girl who is uncomfortable since she was 10 and we consider her like one of our own daughters". So I told her I was sorry I made her uncomfortable, took my shower and put a shirt on. Later, in private, I asked my daughter what the shirt thing was all about and she told me "We're taking a sex ed class and part of the class this week included ways men desensitize potential abuse victims. It included desensitizing the victim to various states of undress and can start with something like not wearing a shirt. We were told in the class not to take this lightly AND to practice standing up for ourselves when the opportunity presented itself". Did I like not being able to walk around my own home with a shirt off...Nope. Was I glad the young lady was strong enough and comfortable enough with me to "practice" like that...ABSOLUTELY.

Maybe now the parents who were so prudish will realize the value of facing their fears so their children may be able to protect themselves. Maybe now these topics will be put into practice because they are not only gaining acceptance but are being made socially acceptable/expected. I hope so......

As a parent I found this story to be inspiring!!

Top Bottom