Seeking the Secret of the Munchies: One Scientist’s Quest

chimpybits

Seeking the Secret of the Munchies: One Scientist’s Quest
Interesting research and vape-specific as well:
Vaping Like the Humans Do

Fascinated by the complex connection between the gut and brain, Davis wanted to follow this path further and push for more specific results, and he wanted to do it his own way.

Instead of injecting the rats with THC, like most scientists have done, Davis wanted his method to bear a clearer resemblance to the way cannabis is actually consumed. He decided to vaporize plant matter. “Because who injects THC in their arm?” Davis explained. “Knowing how vaporized plant matter or flower stimulates a behavioral change is a major advance, I feel.”

So, about a year ago, he requested the money and supplies he needed to build a chamber where he could expose rats to vaporized cannabis. The government provided his lab one strain of cannabis to test, a sativa at about 7.8% THC.

“We did a dose response because that’s the right thing to do – and because you can’t ask a rat if it’s high,” Davis said ... :lol:
- mods I didn't add this to any existing 'munchies' threads as they were too old.

chimpybits,
Reactions: Jill NYC

withoutbliss

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hm, what type of food are they giving these rats? If rats had the same options we do, I'm sure they'd have the munchies just as much as us without getting stoned.

withoutbliss,
Reactions: chimpybits

chimpybits

Hm, what type of food are they giving these rats? If rats had the same options we do, I'm sure they'd have the munchies just as much as us without getting stoned.
Indeed. Don't need cannabis to irrationally crave sugary or salty snacks.

I think the term 'munchies' here is misused. (stoner stereotypes increase clicks I presume). The study appears to be researching appetite in general - not munchies specifically, i.e. making unhealthy choices.
This link is closer to the source and states "
For these new studies the scientists designed a vapor exposure system to mimic how people often consume cannabis. This allowed precise control of dosage while rats' meals were closely monitored throughout the day. Brief exposure to cannabis vapor stimulated a meal even when rats had recently eaten, suggesting that inhaling cannabis tricks appetite circuits in the brain into hunger mode.

"We found that cannabis exposure caused more frequent, small meals," stated Davis. "But there's a delay before it takes effect." That delay provided a clue to how the drug may act.

chimpybits,
Reactions: Jill NYC

C No Ego

Like Walking over to the Feed Troth thinking- Was that THC making me Munchy?... the l;ttle rat was thinking

Heating it and inhaling as compared to other ingestion methods increases FAAH reactions ( hydrolyzed protein catalysts)...

Top Bottom