• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Seed Beads: affordable, available, and effective vapor diffusion!

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
I took my beads out :(. I ended up putting in to many and when i was putting in my diffy the beads broke it. I wasn't pushing very hard but I guess it was hard enough. I got a loaner diffy from no smoke and I have a worked diffy on order that will be a design that may work really well.

If my ice pinches weren't so close together I could get them through the top that would be nice. I have so many beads now....

minnesnowta,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Minnesnowta,

So sorry to hear about your diffy breakage. Seed beads are much safer IME (not to mention how much better they diffuse).

As far as looking for glass beads without lead, look for clear ones (I can only imagine that lead would only be used for certain colors and rarely at that).

Tip: If you use seed beads, get a cheap wire strainer to make it easier when you change the water and clean your glass.

Progress,

reece

Hey Progress et al. Thanks for all of the info about beads. I am about to buy my first glass piece in almost a decade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw52UcG91F4

From your suggestions I have decided to buy some seed beads. How long should I soak them in iso before the rinse, and how long is the bake time?

Devo, did your beads retain any color? I'm definitely going for some clear beads but would also like colored ones for certain occasions (black and gold for Super Bowl) or moods.

Thanks guys.

reece,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
My black seed beads retained their color through iso baking and continual iso washes.

Survivalism,

reece

Thanks Survivalism, that's good to hear.

What size seed beads do you guys use? I saw some last night, the largest were 6/0. They seemed so small I wasn't sure. Is there such a thing as too small for this purpose?

reece,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
reece said:
Hey Progress et al. Thanks for all of the info about beads. I am about to buy my first glass piece in almost a decade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw52UcG91F4

From your suggestions I have decided to buy some seed beads. How long should I soak them in iso before the rinse, and how long is the bake time?

Devo, did your beads retain any color? I'm definitely going for some clear beads but would also like colored ones for certain occasions (black and gold for Super Bowl) or moods.

Thanks guys.
The beads I got were a no go. I cleaned them with ISO and ended up with colored ISO and clear beads.
The beads also chipped as they were being used. Looked like I had glitter in my bong. So, no I would not recommend buying glass beads from hobby lobby.

DevoTheStrange,

reece

Thanks Devo.

I didn't get the seed beads because as I made my way to checkout these containers labeled "Mass O Glass" caught my eye. Various sizes, shapes and colors of glass beads. Most had only large pieces but one had pieces that seem to be about the size of the seed beads (ranging 6/0 to 11/0) and larger. I picked out some decent sized ones and soaked in iso for about 10 hours. No color loss. They've been baking the last half hour now. I guess an hour should be enough.

reece,

Progress

Reece,

:2c: First they could use a few mins of vigorous shaking in iso (I like to use a glass cider jug for this and leave plenty of open space for shaking).

Then, bake them at 250 for 5 min preheated (just long enough to inspect for any coatings coming off or melting, as glass should do neither).

These steps (inspection especially) can be a a small, but worthwhile effort (and only really needs to be done once). ;)

Usually the smaller the better, just be aware of any possibility for them to be carried out of the mouth piece with splashing water and any possibility of them breaking (the vigorous shake in iso and inspection usually ensures no breakable ones).

I hope this helps.

And, Devo, I have never seen anything like that (may have been plastic beads sold as glass or something?) Cant go wrong with CLEAR GLASS seed beads though, right?. :brow:

PS: Reece, those beads in the vid seemed a bit effective, but IMO could have been stacked higher, could have had holes in the center, could have been much smaller, and probably could have been MUCH cheaper (as they look like they are some of the glass beads sold by pipe makers). :shrug:

Please feel free to inquire with the other beadies in this thread if you have any further questions, and please let us know how they work for you. :cool:

Edit: I just saw your last post, reece, and guess I was a bit late with my response. Your glass shapes find sounds good and your steps to ensure safety sounds sufficient (at least). Irregular shapes can be nice because of how they can fit together like puzzle pieces creating a labrynth for the vapor to travel through. IMO the smaller the spaces between and the more of those spaces; the better :D (water will climb beads that are stacked above the water level).

Progress,

reece

Progress said:
PS: Reece, those beads in the vid seemed a bit effective, but IMO could have been stacked higher, could have had holes in the center, could have been much smaller, and probably could have been MUCH cheaper (as they look like they are some of the glass beads sold by pipe makers).
Cool, thanks. When they cool down, and if none have melted, etc., I'll do another iso soak with vigorous shaking.

Yeah, I think those Roor beads go for around $20. I'm not even halfway entertaining that.

I'm not sure if I should thank you or be upset. Now, all I can think about is experimenting with different beads. "Ooh, those are cool shapes...Man I like that color...." Dude, I was in the crafts store half an hour looking at beads. Blessing or curse? :lol:

reece,

Progress

Reece - "I'm not sure if I should thank you or be upset. Now, all I can think about is experimenting with different beads. "Ooh, those are cool shapes...Man I like that color...." Dude, I was in the crafts store half an hour looking at beads. Blessing or curse? :lol:"
:)

Just imagine having glass blowing friends and adding decorative, custom, glass beads to the mix as you collect them over the years (my favorite it the tiny honey bear ;) ). :rofl:

Progress,

reece

Progress said:
Reece - "I'm not sure if I should thank you or be upset. Now, all I can think about is experimenting with different beads. "Ooh, those are cool shapes...Man I like that color...." Dude, I was in the crafts store half an hour looking at beads. Blessing or curse? :lol:"
:)

Just imagine having glass blowing friends and adding decorative, custom, glass beads to the mix as you collect them over the years (my favorite it the tiny honey bear ;) ). :rofl:
Oh no. "I've seen the future and it will be."

I don't have any glass blowing friends. However, I have a friend who has several glass blowing friends. Doh!

reece,

reece

toxicc said:
Lead crystal beads have a high percentage of lead oxide in the glass formula, increasing the refractive index.
http://www.rings-things.com/jewelry-safety.html
CA Jewelry-Making Materials Classification as of March 2008:

These items are suitable for inclusion in retail jewelry. Glass crystal and fiber optics (cat's eye) contain lead oxide (PbO), but this does not pose the same threat as metallic lead (Pb).

* Stainless or surgical steel
* Karat gold
* Sterling silver
* Platinum, palladium, iridium, ruthenium, rhodium or
osmium
* Natural or cultured pearls
* Glass, including fiber optics (cat's eye)
* Cloisonn
* Leaded-glass crystal, including rhinestones
* Cubic zirconia or cubic zirconium (CZ)
* Cut & polished gemstones**
* Ceramics
* Elastic, fabric, ribbon or rope (unless lead has been
intentionally added & it is listed in Class 2)
* Natural materials, including amber, bone, coral, feathers,
fur, horn, leather, shell and wood (unless lead has been
intentionally added)

Lead oxide (PbO)
is a compound sometimes used in glassmaking. Advantages to using lead oxide in glass include increased refraction (which creates the beautiful prism effect we associate with glass crystal) and a lower working temperature/viscosity (which makes the glass easier to work with). During vitrification (when powdered ingredients melt under heat to form glass), the lead oxide becomes "trapped" inside the glass and can no longer be easily absorbed. In normal use, the lead in leaded glass does not leach out the way metallic lead can.
See also: http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/Jewelry/upload/jewelry-fact-sheet-May-09.pdf

reece,

Progress

I'd imagine that there would be no reason to use lead in clear glass beads (or most colored ones either).

I believe that lead Oxide, is different than Metallic Lead (and that the temps of them submerged in water is very low), but I would still prefer to have neither nonetheless.

I also wanted to share that some people have started using seed beads in the down-stems of ash-catchers to catch the ashes, but I am sure that this would improve the performance of a simple slitted down-stem if it had a rounded bottom to hold them in).

Toke it easy. :cool:

Progress,

MasterJake

I'm glad I came across this topic , can't believe i've never thought of doing this . I am strongly considering using airsoft bbs for this because a bag of 5000 is only $11 and it seems like they would work . Would it matter if they were colored ? It's kind of hard to find clear ones .

MasterJake,

reece

I have a diffuser downstem that will hold my seed beads. I'll try that out, Progress, and update. I'm also going to freeze the beads and use my bubbler without water to see how that works.

reece,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
MasterJake said:
I'm glad I came across this topic , can't believe i've never thought of doing this . I am strongly considering using airsoft bbs for this because a bag of 5000 is only $11 and it seems like they would work . Would it matter if they were colored ? It's kind of hard to find clear ones .
if your going to use airsoft pellets make sure you don't use the ecofriendly ones, they will dissolve in the water.

DevoTheStrange,

MasterJake

If I wanted to actually go buy some glass marbles any idea how small would be too small ? I can get glass "micro beads" from 2mm all the way down to sand size .

MasterJake,

Progress

MasterJake - I am strongly considering using airsoft bbs
I feel safest with glass beads. Just make sure the materials are safe to keep submerged in water for extended periods of time.
Reece - I have a diffuser downstem that will hold my seed beads. I'll try that out, Progress, and update. I'm also going to freeze the beads and use my bubbler without water to see how that works.
Cool! :tup: I can' t wait to hear how you like it.
Illadelph - anyone think that beads could work in an inline bub?
IMO, only one with holes large enough for them to travel through. It seems like seed beads could pose danger to the D-cut slits of an inline if one was to get stuck. I would stick to things that have some sort of opened chamber.

Progress,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
well i just ordered 2 lbs of tiny glass marbles, one lb of 2mm an one lb of 1mm, i couldnt decide which size to get so i think ill just mix them

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Progress

AoZ - well i just ordered 2 lbs of tiny glass marbles, one lb of 2mm an one lb of 1mm, i couldnt decide which size to get so i think ill just mix them
Link, please? :brow:

I can't wait to hear how you like them (before mixing them you may want to try the smaller ones on the bottom for diffusion and the larger ones on top of them to make a labrynth for the bubbles to climb (spider-web pilliars in effect).

PS: Due to the small size of the beads, make certain that no water has any chance of splashing you in the mouth (and potentially carrying a tiny glass bead with it) ;).

Progress,

whosgottheherb

I'm rather interested to try these beads out... but I was wondering if clear glass beads from hobby lobby would work alright... I saw the post about the colored ones flaking, but what about clear ones?

whosgottheherb,

Progress

People have asked about recommended seed beads, so here it is (my recommendation): http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wa...-of-4000/3438005/product.html?cid=143688&fp=F (others should be fine as well ;) )

Also, clear or colored beads should be fine, Whosgottheherb (I am still not sure about what the beads that were reported to have flaked were made of or coated with). Clear, however, seems to be the easiest to clean/inspect.

Progress,
Top Bottom