Searching for Best E-nail Setup

FroyGL

Greetings all,

I am new to FC; I found this to be the most helpful site on the subject.
I am looking to get my first e-nail and rig, and would like some suggestions if possible. I'm interested in the most efficient and best tasting setup.

From the information I've covered on the website and others, I've concluded that a SiC nail with HE Infiniti complete and Sapphire insert are most likely what I'm after.
Does anyone recommend a comparable substitute?

Would you FC users suggest the D-Nail v1.2 with flat coil to go with or should I save some money and look into the many more affordable options?

The world of rigs is vast and I am quite overwhelmed. I am leaning towards a cheap DHg offering as the D-Nail setup is pricey by itself, but I am open to suggestions. I would definitely be getting a drop down as that has been widely suggested. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-FGL

weenstoned

Haven't used that SiC nail but honestly it sounds like a lot of hype. Have used ceramic nails before and found the taste to be basically the same as quartz. Find it hard to believe the taste is that much better or people are just convincing themselves based on the big dollars they dropped. I am currently using a quartz pukinbeagle copy from Hyman Quartz on DHGate and it is amazing. Can go super low temps (550-600F). Also the internal down stem keeps your joints clean and lets reclaim drip neatly down into your drop down or you can scoop it out before that happens. I would gladly try out someones SiC nail but I have a hard time believing it is worth an extra 200ish dollars (probably more since most carb caps won't fit the huge SiC dish).

Nail: http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/electric-quartz-nail-quartz-enail-for-smoking/230298136.html
Carb Cap (I have the xmas tree looking one): http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/quartz-carb-cap-12mm-fit-16mm-bowl-quartz/232149026.html

You can also get either a 16mm or 20mm coil from Hyman quartz for around $30. Just make sure it matches whatever sized nail you ordered.

Then you just need an e-nail. I use the Auber RDK-200, which now that the 300 is out you can pick up just the enail with no coil for $70. The only real downside to this model is that it does not have an automatic shut off (but I always unplug it if I am leaving the house). http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=459

So basically you can pick up a great e-nail set up for about $140.

weenstoned,
Reactions: FroyGL

herbivore21

Haven't used that SiC nail but honestly it sounds like a lot of hype. Have used ceramic nails before and found the taste to be basically the same as quartz. Find it hard to believe the taste is that much better or people are just convincing themselves based on the big dollars they dropped. I am currently using a quartz pukinbeagle copy from Hyman Quartz on DHGate and it is amazing. Can go super low temps (550-600F). Also the internal down stem keeps your joints clean and lets reclaim drip neatly down into your drop down or you can scoop it out before that happens. I would gladly try out someones SiC nail but I have a hard time believing it is worth an extra 200ish dollars (probably more since most carb caps won't fit the huge SiC dish).

Nail: http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/electric-quartz-nail-quartz-enail-for-smoking/230298136.html
Carb Cap (I have the xmas tree looking one): http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/quartz-carb-cap-12mm-fit-16mm-bowl-quartz/232149026.html

You can also get either a 16mm or 20mm coil from Hyman quartz for around $30. Just make sure it matches whatever sized nail you ordered.

Then you just need an e-nail. I use the Auber RDK-200, which now that the 300 is out you can pick up just the enail with no coil for $70. The only real downside to this model is that it does not have an automatic shut off (but I always unplug it if I am leaving the house). http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=459

Sorry man, but I've used ceramic (Hive, Domeless), quartz (Quartz Castle, Pukinbeagle, various cheap and nasties), titanium (Highly Educated) and titanium/sapphire hybrids and absolutely nothing compares to SiC. Not even close.

It is not hype. You need to try this nail before offering any such opinion. SiC is seriously hands down a complete different world of dabbing to any other currently available product (with the exception of Silicon Nitride, which is quite similar in a lot of ways and I imagine would dab similarly).

Quartz in particular is completely inferior to SiC. Quartz (even high end quartz - to a far lesser extent than cheap quartz granted - and is far more expensive than the SiC) frequently has problems with pooling of oil/incomplete or very slow vaporization and I the taste just doesn't even come close. Let me explain with an example: I had a Pukinbeagle Deep Dish Banger before I went to SiC. Using a DI 20mm quartz Pukinbeagle nail with matched carbs before that!

I literally had some of the best quartz available here and I happily got rid of it - for a reason. Quartz is definitely tastier than ti, but sacrifices thermal properties beneficial to even and instantaneous vaporization (even at the lowest possible temps). Quartz is a very poor conductor of heat. Furthermore, SiC tastes SO MUCH BETTER than quartz. It provides consistent taste every time due to extremely even heat distribution and utterly surpasses ceramic and ti in the flavor stakes as well.

It is more durable than every material arguably other than ti, but boasts thermal shock properties which allow you to torch the living christ out of it without damaging it! Do you know what forms as an outer layer around SiC if it were wayy, way overheated (hotter than a torch will go)? Quartz.

To the OP:

Get the SiC, there is seriously nothing that compares - you can listen to people who have never tried it, or pay attention to the universally positive feedback given on the SiC by all who have owned it around these parts - granted relatively few as this is a very new product! @Monsoon (and anyone else I've forgotten!) please do chime in with your experiences.

For the controller, you could save some cash and get another compatible controller with a flat coil. I personally only use d-nail controllers but absolutely concede that you could save some funds on this side of things and find something competent. A word to the wise though - do not cheap out and buy any other carb cap for the SiC other than the d-nail 2.0 universal carb cap. This is to date (aside from the defunct universal carb 1.0) the only carb which has been matched and specifically engineered to provide the best possible fit and pressure flow (ie: vaporization) possible inside the SiC dish. You will have far less success with the SiC without a proper matched carb.

Hope this helps! :)

herbivore21

Sorry dude still sounds like you have drank the Kool Aid
So you ignore my specific refutations and then provide the irrelevant ad hominem attack alleging that I'm a fanboy (simultaneously committing another informal fallacy of logic - ignoratio elenchi)? :doh:

Come on man. Let's stick to the topic at hand and not get personal.

Edit: Also man, seriously, if I were a fanboy, why would I concede that D-nail competitors' materials made by VaporBrothers (like silicon nitride) is probably comparable to SiC dab upon?

Last edited:

weenstoned

I believe that you believe the SiC nail is the greatest. I spent very little on my nail so I only needed a couple of sentences to describe it, but you spent big bucks so you need a huge post to justify it. I have not had the problems with quartz that you stated in your post. Durability is one of the few other points I can really comment on which is mainly to say that it is irrelevant because I would need to break it like 10 times to reach the cost of the SiC. Don't even really foresee breaking this one.

I am sure the SiC is superior, but $200 extra superior I doubt it. If you were in a blind taste test I am skeptical that you would be able to tell much of a difference unless you're a sommelier or something.

weenstoned,

FroyGL

Sorry man, but I've used ceramic (Hive, Domeless), quartz (Quartz Castle, Pukinbeagle, various cheap and nasties), titanium (Highly Educated) and titanium/sapphire hybrids and absolutely nothing compares to SiC. Not even close.

It is not hype. You need to try this nail before offering any such opinion. SiC is seriously hands down a complete different world of dabbing to any other currently available product (with the exception of Silicon Nitride, which is quite similar in a lot of ways and I imagine would dab similarly).

Quartz in particular is completely inferior to SiC. Quartz (even high end quartz - to a far lesser extent than cheap quartz granted - and is far more expensive than the SiC) frequently has problems with pooling of oil/incomplete or very slow vaporization and I the taste just doesn't even come close. Let me explain with an example: I had a Pukinbeagle Deep Dish Banger before I went to SiC. Using a DI 20mm quartz Pukinbeagle nail with matched carbs before that!

I literally had some of the best quartz available here and I happily got rid of it - for a reason. Quartz is definitely tastier than ti, but sacrifices thermal properties beneficial to even and instantaneous vaporization (even at the lowest possible temps). Quartz is a very poor conductor of heat. Furthermore, SiC tastes SO MUCH BETTER than quartz. It provides consistent taste every time due to extremely even heat distribution and utterly surpasses ceramic and ti in the flavor stakes as well.

It is more durable than every material arguably other than ti, but boasts thermal shock properties which allow you to torch the living christ out of it without damaging it! Do you know what forms as an outer layer around SiC if it were wayy, way overheated (hotter than a torch will go)? Quartz.

To the OP:

Get the SiC, there is seriously nothing that compares - you can listen to people who have never tried it, or pay attention to the universally positive feedback given on the SiC by all who have owned it around these parts - granted relatively few as this is a very new product! @Monsoon (and anyone else I've forgotten!) please do chime in with your experiences.

For the controller, you could save some cash and get another compatible controller with a flat coil. I personally only use d-nail controllers but absolutely concede that you could save some funds on this side of things and find something competent. A word to the wise though - do not cheap out and buy any other carb cap for the SiC other than the d-nail 2.0 universal carb cap. This is to date (aside from the defunct universal carb 1.0) the only carb which has been matched and specifically engineered to provide the best possible fit and pressure flow (ie: vaporization) possible inside the SiC dish. You will have far less success with the SiC without a proper matched carb.

Hope this helps! :)
Thanks for the insight, it is appreciated.
Do you have any suggestions on the rig? I am looking for something practical, efficient, and generally a good value.

Thank you for the response. I really like those prices, but I am still trying to weigh the pros and cons. Do you know of a quality flat coil at these prices? Also, do you have any suggestions for me as far as the rigs go?

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
FroyGL,

herbivore21

I believe that you believe the SiC nail is the greatest. I spent very little on my nail so I only needed a couple of sentences to describe it, but you spent big bucks so you need a huge post to justify it. I have not had the problems with quartz that you stated in your post. Durability is one of the few other points I can really comment on which is mainly to say that it is irrelevant because I would need to break it like 10 times to reach the cost of the SiC. Don't even really foresee breaking this one.

I am sure the SiC is superior, but $200 extra superior I doubt it. If you were in a blind taste test I am skeptical that you would be able to tell much of a difference unless you're a sommelier or something.
I write at great lengths because I am a scientist/academic bro - long-winded writing is literally what I do for a living. This has no relationship to the cost of my mmj hardware ;)

Again, you are commenting beyond your frame of reference. You have not used SiC. I'm not gonna argue with you over your own imagined comparisons and talking points.

Thanks for the insight, it is appreciated.
Do you have any suggestions on the rig? I am looking for something practical, efficient, and generally a good value.

No worries man :) Also welcome to FC!

For a rig, there are so many options! Do you prefer to take bigger or smaller hits when dabbing? This will help us start off by determining an appropriate can size for your piece :)

Last edited:
herbivore21,

weenstoned

I just think the price is clouding your mind. You have a psychological investment in this being the best product. You sound like a d-nail ad which is hard to take seriously.

I recommend the SiC for all sommeliers and supertasters out there.

weenstoned,

FroyGL

I write at great lengths because I am a scientist/academic scholar bro - it is literally what I do for a living. This has no relationship to the cost of my mmj hardware ;)

Again, you are commenting beyond your frame of reference. You have not used SiC. I'm not gonna argue with you over your own imagined comparisons and talking points.

No worries man :) Also welcome to FC!

For a rig, there are so many options! Do you prefer to take bigger or smaller hits when dabbing? This will help us start off by determining an appropriate can size for your piece :)
Thanks man!
I would say about 0.15 - 0.20 on average; although it gets a lot of use by friends who take less than half of that.
I'd prefer something easier to clean, but wouldn't want to sacrifice efficiency.

FroyGL,

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
I'd go Auber rdk 200 controller for $70 and then spend big bucks on sic dish or happy daddy genesis nail. Sapphire insert optional.

Been Vapin,

herbivore21

Thanks man!
I would say about 0.15 - 0.20 on average; although it gets a lot of use by friends who take less than half of that.
I'd prefer something easier to clean, but wouldn't want to sacrifice efficiency.
Hmmmm, I would like to advise but I actually think my good friend @Frederick McGuire is gonna be the most knowledgable in recommending the right piece - he has tried almost every piece on DHGate and knows what's up on which are best.

From the sound of it, you would require a slightly bigger rig than the usual microbubbler dab setup (not as big as a flower piece though!). Make sure that the main chamber of the bubbler that you get has a reasonable bit of volume to hold your hit inside - not too much though, more glass = more oil recondensing on the glass. Frederick will be able to help with this though, he knows the score when it comes to glass :)

I just think the price is clouding your mind. You have a psychological investment in this being the best product. You sound like a d-nail ad which is hard to take seriously.

You have no basis to suggest that I have a psychological investing in this being the best product. I do not buy products and then decide they have to be the best because I paid good money for it. If I did that, I would think that so many other products are equally the best, or better. Hell, my PB quartz deep dish banger cost me way more than my SiC did - I still am forthright in saying it does not compare!

In fact, those who know me know that if a better kind of nail emerged tomorrow, I'd buy it and sell my SiC, just like I did with the last 5-10 nails I've used in the last year! I love to use bleeding edge hardware because I am an enthusiast and when someone else releases a revolutionary new enail design, I'll buy it!

Hell, I have been thinking about buying a happy daddy genesis system for a fair while just because I want to try it after reading the good reports on FC - even if I end up finding SiC/Sapphire way more effective - I try things when I don't know about them, because I love vapes and ESPECIALLY dab setups.

You on the other hand say it is hype when you've never used it at all and despite the universal praise of everyone who has used it. That to me sounds like the work of bias (and I am a qualified research psychologist)!

Finally, remember, also that I have no financial interest in D-nail products, but having beta tested some products have information that other's here do not and this is why I share a lot about d-nail stuff around here - that and I don't use anything else anymore myself personally, I have given up on flowers basically.

I have ZERO financial interest in any such comments and do not make 1 cent off of anything that d-nail sell to FC users who buy their products because of my comments. Never have done!

My comments may seem like ads because part of advertising any product is providing specific information about the product - but my comparisons are real and genuine.

I have no conflict of interest and I do not appreciate being treated as if my comments aren't legitimate when there is no basis for such an allegation.

Last edited:
herbivore21,

FroyGL

I'd go Auber rdk 200 controller for $70 and then spend big bucks on sic dish or happy daddy genesis nail. Sapphire insert optional.
I like how you're thinking; why do you recommend the happy daddy genesis nail over the sic dish?
What path would you take as far as the rig goes?
Thank you for the help!

FroyGL,

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
I'm also trying to make a decision about buying an enail so my situation is similiar to the OP's.

Except I just got this sweet rig:

MJ9Jsuv.jpg

:D

Limited research leads me to lean toward Sic + sapphire insert or Genesis + quartz insert.
For a torch this looks nice: http://dabfarm.bigcartel.com/product/c2-daisy-nail-carb-cap-combo-set

Please, more opinions, especially with regards to good yet cheap (possible?) controller.

Last edited:
alittledabwilldoya',

Monsoon

For glass I strongly suggest the FC-710 for dabs, it's one of the more recommended pieces here. Also check out the last few pages of the Cheap Bubbler thread for more ideas.

As for the SiC, I much prefer the using it with the sapphire insert over just the dish. I find the flavor to be much better and it's a bit less harsh for me personally when doing low temp dabs. So far it's provided the best flavour experience for me from dabs and I find it comparable to a low temp oil hit on the VapeXhale Evo with their VapeXNail.

The SiC itself is nice to dab on, it gives off no flavour itself and it's easy to keep spotless just by torching and cleaning with ISO and a Q-Tip. I haven't really used quartz so I can't compare it to that unfortunately but I prefer it to Ti. I do however wish it had a smaller surface area, I feel it's a bit too big to dab on without the insert and the edges of the dish don't seem to be heated as well since the coil has a smaller diameter than the dish. The insert though is the perfect size though.

As for what you should get @FroyGL , I would say go with one of the Auber e-nail units and coil, get the FC-710 and a dropdown and then figure out your budget for the nail. The SiC setup with carb cap and insert will set you back $250+shipping. Depending on your finances it might be better to go with a cheaper nail for now and upgrade later on to something better (new shit is coming out all the time).

----------
Some Essential E-Nail Related Threads:

Next Generation E-nails
General thread for the latest and greatest e-nail related stuff.

Auber Instruments RDK200 e-nail

Errlectric Concentration Station

Terpz E-Nail Review

Silicone Carbide/Titanium hybrid nails

Last edited:

FroyGL

For glass I strongly suggest the FC-710 for dabs, it's one of the more recommended pieces here. Also check out the last few pages of the Cheap Bubbler thread for more ideas.

As for the SiC, I much prefer the using it with the sapphire insert over just the dish. I find the flavor to be much better and it's a bit less harsh for me personally when doing low temp dabs. So far it's provided the best flavour experience for me from dabs and I find it comparable to a low temp oil hit on the VapeXhale Evo with their VapeXNail.

The SiC itself is nice to dab on, it gives off no flavour itself and it's easy to keep spotless just by torching and cleaning with ISO and a Q-Tip. I haven't really used quartz so I can't compare it to that unfortunately but I prefer it to Ti. I do however wish it had a smaller surface area, I feel it's a bit too big to dab on without the insert and the edges of the dish don't seem to be heated as well since the coil has a smaller diameter than the dish. The insert though is the perfect size though.

As for what you should get @FroyGL , I would say go with one of the Auber e-nail units and coil, get the FC-710 and a dropdown and then figure out your budget for the nail. The SiC setup with carb cap and insert will set you back $250+shipping. Depending on your finances it might be better to go with a cheaper nail for now and upgrade later on to something better (new shit is coming out all the time).

----------
Some Essential E-Nail Related Threads:

Next Generation E-nails
General thread for the latest and greatest e-nail related stuff.

Auber Instruments RDK200 e-nail

Errlectric Concentration Station

Terpz E-Nail Review

Silicone Carbide/Titanium hybrid nails
Your advice is really sound, thank you. My total budget is about 500$. I would like to start off with the best nail around, and then upgrade my rig and controller later if necessary.

FroyGL,

FroyGL

Hmmmm, I would like to advise but I actually think my good friend @Frederick McGuire is gonna be the most knowledgable in recommending the right piece - he has tried almost every piece on DHGate and knows what's up on which are best.

From the sound of it, you would require a slightly bigger rig than the usual microbubbler dab setup (not as big as a flower piece though!). Make sure that the main chamber of the bubbler that you get has a reasonable bit of volume to hold your hit inside - not too much though, more glass = more oil recondensing on the glass. Frederick will be able to help with this though, he knows the score when it comes to glass :)

You have no basis to suggest that I have a psychological investing in this being the best product. I do not buy products and then decide they have to be the best because I paid good money for it. If I did that, I would think that so many other products are equally the best, or better. Hell, my PB quartz deep dish banger cost me way more than my SiC did - I still am forthright in saying it does not compare!

In fact, those who know me know that if a better kind of nail emerged tomorrow, I'd buy it and sell my SiC, just like I did with the last 5-10 nails I've used in the last year! I love to use bleeding edge hardware because I am an enthusiast and when someone else releases a revolutionary new enail design, I'll buy it!

Hell, I have been thinking about buying a happy daddy genesis system for a fair while just because I want to try it after reading the good reports on FC - even if I end up finding SiC/Sapphire way more effective - I try things when I don't know about them, because I love vapes and ESPECIALLY dab setups.

You on the other hand say it is hype when you've never used it at all and despite the universal praise of everyone who has used it. That to me sounds like the work of bias (and I am a qualified research psychologist)!

Finally, remember, also that I have no financial interest in D-nail products, but having beta tested some products have information that other's here do not and this is why I share a lot about d-nail stuff around here - that and I don't use anything else anymore myself personally, I have given up on flowers basically.

I have ZERO financial interest in any such comments and do not make 1 cent off of anything that d-nail sell to FC users who buy their products because of my comments. Never have done!

My comments may seem like ads because part of advertising any product is providing specific information about the product - but my comparisons are real and genuine.

I have no conflict of interest and I do not appreciate being treated as if my comments aren't legitimate when there is no basis for such an allegation.
Thanks again herbivore. How can I politely request Frederick's help with this matter?
Also, I think that I'll be able to dab a little smaller with the new equipment as it will be more efficient and effective, and that plays into what rigs I should be looking at.

FroyGL,

Absolute

I'm a looong time lurker here, but I have to plug the www.domeless.com full ceramic nail setup. It's 150 bucks for the best flavor I've had (tried the other types of nails) and each piece of the setup is replaceable with cheap individual parts. I just emailed them with a question about their replacement bowls (only 15 bucks and they last a while) and they called me back within like 15 minutes. Great customer service earns them a lot of points from me.

Absolute,

herbivore21

Thanks again herbivore. How can I politely request Frederick's help with this matter?
Also, I think that I'll be able to dab a little smaller with the new equipment as it will be more efficient and effective, and that plays into what rigs I should be looking at.
I've tagged him in this thread, so he should get a notification. I'm sure he'll be happy to assist when he gets a spare moment :)

herbivore21,

VJJJV

No clue what I did yesterday
Never used SIC here, but the usual quartz/titanium/ceramic. I specifally buy concentrates at my dispensary that have as little flavor as possible and most of them I can barely taste. I hit quartz and ceramic the most. Only low temp dabs with carb cap and the vapor is so smooth and very little taste. I don't know if SiC is better, but the only improvement I could see would be absolutely no taste. The current level of taste doesn't bother me though so I see no reason to upgrade. Maybe I'll even refuse to use a SiC, because perhaps it really is much better and then all the sudden I'm throwing money everywhere again.

Is D-Nail the only company that makes SiC nails?

Last edited:
VJJJV,

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
^^^ Hmm, I like the taste and prefer strain specific concentrates as they have more distinctive flavors than mixed trim/nug runs.

I just switched to all concentrate; haven't purchased flower in ~ month.
Bought a nice oil rig, as pictured above.
And have been doing online "research" re: nails, heaters, carb caps and what not.

One basic question that I saw posed in the Errlectric thread drew my interest: can the heating unit itself affect the flavor of a hit?
It seems to me that it should only be influenced by temperature.
I can definitely see that different controllers could have different safety precautions / longevity / warranty issues.

With regard to an enail setup how does this look?:

This control box: http://www.e-nail710hotbox.com/new-page-1

I like the heat control via knob vs buttons, overall size of the unit, and the way it looks.
Looks like it's a dressed up version of the Auber 2.0?

This heater coil: http://cannoisseur.com/collections/errlectric/products/errlectric-domeless-titanium-nail-heater-coil

The bent neck looks like a good idea; my oil rig is small and delicate.
I like the insulation on the cord; looks clean (could have flexibility issues).

Nails are a tougher nut to crack:

1) SiC dish + Sapphire insert: http://www.d-nail.com/nails/highly-educated-infiniti-with-sapphire
(But with a different nail; the HE Infiniti loses heat too quickly?)

2a) Happy Daddy Genesis with quartz insert: http://www.happydaddyproducts.net/product/genesis-system/
Looks like a trick design.

2b) HD Genesis Micro: http://www.happydaddyproducts.net/product/genesis-micro/
Looks great for 10mm rigs; smaller and lighter, might obviate the need for a dropdown?
But are the internals the same as the bigger Genesis?
Can a quartz insert be fitted in the Micro?

3a) e-Boss Quartz: http://dabfarm.bigcartel.com/product/ebosstm-xl-quartz-nail-carb-cap-dabber
Pretty, very pretty.

3b) Errlectric Quartz: http://cannoisseur.com/collections/errlectric/products/errlectric-full-quartz-nail-heater-kit
This looks well thought out with the outer titanium cup to distribute the heat evenly in the quartz banger.
This is the heater that I'm after too.
But would the "torus crater" design of the e-Boss quartz nail overcome the deficiency of uneven heat distribution that may be inherent in the banger design?

4) Full Errlectric / Cannoussier: http://cannoisseur.com/collections/shop/products/cannoisseur-x-errlectric-concentration-station
I like the look better than stock Errlectric (but no knob for temp control).
It has the heater that I'm after.
I could probably buy the unit w/o a nail (or buy the quartz insert that fits the Errlectric nails).

5) No enail. Quartz and torch: http://dabfarm.bigcartel.com/product/c2-daisy-nail-carb-cap-combo-set
Muuuuch cheaper and I have a shit ton of butane.

I currently enjoy a Honey Straw/Nectar Collector type unit to imbibe the concentrates and I like the nuetral flavor of the quartz tip.

No enail would be much cheaper, but my ultimate goal is too increase to efficacy of smaller doses of concentrate (thus saving $), and it sounds like controllable temperature is the key to that end.

I however, am uneducated in this field and am not married to any of the aforementioned choices, so would appreciate insights from those more seasoned in the arena of dabbing.

Last edited:
alittledabwilldoya',

VJJJV

If you are gona drop more than 200 I would just follow herbivore21s advice and get the sic. Otherwise get the domeless.com 710whip, wait for a coupon that brings it down to $100. Below $100 just get a china quartz banger and ceramic domless with carb cap. Takes like 20seconds to heat the quartz banger with a torch, super fast. Ceramic will be much slower to heat ofc, but allows more control.

If you're paranoid about china nails, I think you should also be somewhat paranoid about your china rig (maybe the glass contains lead), and you should perhaps be paranoid about your concentrates and only go with solvent free concentrates (we really don't have enough data on the long term effects of BHO concentrates or such). These combos of china rig+expensive nail are always argued that the the nail is what gets heated, therefore has the most potential for harm. Yeah maybe that's right, maybe not. In time we'll probably find out, so if you really want to be be safe, you just gotta wait until the verdict is in.

FroyGL

Never used SIC here, but the usual quartz/titanium/ceramic. I specifally buy concentrates at my dispensary that have as little flavor as possible and most of them I can barely taste. I hit quartz and ceramic the most. Only low temp dabs with carb cap and the vapor is so smooth and very little taste. I don't know if SiC is better, but the only improvement I could see would be absolutely no taste. The current level of taste doesn't bother me though so I see no reason to upgrade. Maybe I'll even refuse to use a SiC, because perhaps it really is much better and then all the sudden I'm throwing money everywhere again.

Is D-Nail the only company that makes SiC nails?
Yes, I believe so. It seems D-NAIL is a bit ahead of the competition right now!
^^^ Hmm, I like the taste and prefer strain specific concentrates as they have more distinctive flavors than mixed trim/nug runs.

I just switched to all concentrate; haven't purchased flower in ~ month.
Bought a nice oil rig, as pictured above.
And have been doing online "research" re: nails, heaters, carb caps and what not.

One basic question that I saw posed in the Errlectric thread drew my interest: can the heating unit itself affect the flavor of a hit?
It seems to me that it should only be influenced by temperature.
I can definitely see that different controllers could have different safety precautions / longevity / warranty issues.

With regard to an enail setup how does this look?:

This control box: http://www.e-nail710hotbox.com/new-page-1

I like the heat control via knob vs buttons, overall size of the unit, and the way it looks.
Looks like it's a dressed up version of the Auber 2.0?

This heater coil: http://cannoisseur.com/collections/errlectric/products/errlectric-domeless-titanium-nail-heater-coil

The bent neck looks like a good idea; my oil rig is small and delicate.
I like the insulation on the cord; looks clean (could have flexibility issues).

Nails are a tougher nut to crack:

1) SiC dish + Sapphire insert: http://www.d-nail.com/nails/highly-educated-infiniti-with-sapphire
(But with a different nail; the HE Infiniti loses heat too quickly?)

2a) Happy Daddy Genesis with quartz insert: http://www.happydaddyproducts.net/product/genesis-system/
Looks like a trick design.

2b) HD Genesis Micro: http://www.happydaddyproducts.net/product/genesis-micro/
Looks great for 10mm rigs; smaller and lighter, might obviate the need for a dropdown?
But are the internals the same as the bigger Genesis?
Can a quartz insert be fitted in the Micro?

3a) e-Boss Quartz: http://dabfarm.bigcartel.com/product/ebosstm-xl-quartz-nail-carb-cap-dabber
Pretty, very pretty.

3b) Errlectric Quartz: http://cannoisseur.com/collections/errlectric/products/errlectric-full-quartz-nail-heater-kit
This looks well thought out with the outer titanium cup to distribute the heat evenly in the quartz banger.
This is the heater that I'm after too.
But would the "torus crater" design of the e-Boss quartz nail overcome the deficiency of uneven heat distribution that may be inherent in the banger design?

4) Full Errlectric / Cannoussier: http://cannoisseur.com/collections/shop/products/cannoisseur-x-errlectric-concentration-station
I like the look better than stock Errlectric (but no knob for temp control).
It has the heater that I'm after.
I could probably buy the unit w/o a nail (or buy the quartz insert that fits the Errlectric nails).

5) No enail. Quartz and torch: http://dabfarm.bigcartel.com/product/c2-daisy-nail-carb-cap-combo-set
Muuuuch cheaper and I have a shit ton of butane.

I currently enjoy a Honey Straw/Nectar Collector type unit to imbibe the concentrates and I like the nuetral flavor of the quartz tip.

No enail would be much cheaper, but my ultimate goal is too increase to efficacy of smaller doses of concentrate (thus saving $), and it sounds like controllable temperature is the key to that end.

I however, am uneducated in this field and am not married to any of the aforementioned choices, so would appreciate insights from those more seasoned in the arena of dabbing.
This is a great list of the top products! All the choices I had to pick between are here. Thanks for the reply, ALDWDY.
Narrowing it down is tough though!
If you are gona drop more than 200 I would just follow herbivore21s advice and get the sic. Otherwise get the domeless.com 710whip, wait for a coupon that brings it down to $100. Below $100 just get a china quartz banger and ceramic domless with carb cap. Takes like 20seconds to heat the quartz banger with a torch, super fast. Ceramic will be much slower to heat ofc, but allows more control.

If you're paranoid about china nails, I think you should also be somewhat paranoid about your china rig (maybe the glass contains lead), and you should perhaps be paranoid about your concentrates and only go with solvent free concentrates (we really don't have enough data on the long term effects of BHO concentrates or such). These combos of china rig+expensive nail are always argued that the the nail is what gets heated, therefore has the most potential for harm. Yeah maybe that's right, maybe not. In time we'll probably find out, so if you really want to be be safe, you just gotta wait until the verdict is in.
I am not paranoid about lead in the glass, I believe expensive crystal has 10% lead in it for clarity. I think that someone would've gotten lead poisoning well before now, but maybe I'm just a guinea pig?

~

After perusing all resources available to me, I have made a decision. Thank you everyone for your expert advice; this decision was much easier than I thought because of fuckcombustion.com!

I purchased:

Auber RDK-200
D-NAIL® Flat Coil Heater
The SiC Nail by D-NAIL®
D-NAIL® Sapphire Insert
D-NAIL® Generation 2 Universal Titanium Carb Cap
FC-710 from DHgate

I chose the Auber RDK-200 because I thought it had the best value ($/reputation). It was the cheapest controller I could find, and also well reviewed and rated. It shipped the same day I purchased it. At less than 80$ shipped, I can replace this in a year (if need be) and not think twice about it.

I chose the D-NAIL gear because I found the SiC Nail and Sapphire the most appealing setup hands down. Everything I have read about D-NAIL has suggested they are innovating and creating some of the best nails. Not a single bad review other than price and MANY users found it to be the best tasting and simply the best option. Everything shipped the same day (except the carp cap because it is on back-order) and because of a mistake on my part, I've already had to deal with the customer service, and Diane S. is awesome!

I got the flat coil D-NAIL heater as I knew it would fit the nail best and would be of excellent quality. Shipped the same day I purchased it.

And finally, I purchased the FC-710 because of the great reviews, # of transactions the seller had, and the price. It shipped the same day I purchased it. At less than 40$ shipped, I do not feel bad about having to replace this glass at a later time; I look forward to a suggestion better than the FC-710.

I will make another thread or respond to this one when everything comes in.

Thanks again to the FC community for all your help!

Last edited:

VJJJV

Ah man that does look like such a nice setup. What was the total on that? (minus the fc 710)

FroyGL

I've tagged him in this thread, so he should get a notification. I'm sure he'll be happy to assist when he gets a spare moment :)
Although I have already decided on the FC-710, I would love to get some insight from an expert. I think there is something much better out there, but I don't know what it is yet. :p I am looking forward to his advice.
Ah man that does look like such a nice setup. What was the total on that? (minus the fc 710)
It is definitely an ideal setup for me! Hopefully someone else tries it out and agrees with me. :ko:

The Auber ran me $78.46, shipped immediately, and arrived within 3 days on the cheapest shipping option.
The Nail, Sapphire, Cap, and Coil ran me $425.00 :o, shipped immediately, and arrived in 3 days with free shipping.
$503.46 for the setup.
The FC-710 was just under $40 and shipped two days later; no tracking # yet (they said I should get a tracking # within 3-5 days of it shipping).

Top Bottom