Sci-Fi Movies and TV shows......

arf777

No longer dogless
Some of my fondest childhood memories revolve around watching Godzilla fuck shit up.

Just about every Saturday morning on the local channel there'd be a Godzilla movie shown at 6 am and usually followed by the original King Kong. I'd be jacked up on sugary cereal and ready to go right at 6 for most of age 7.

twgl.jpg

Fuckin' A!!!
When I was a kid in NY, every Saturday WPIX had a Japanese monster flick on, right before the weekly Star Trek rerun. Looked forward to it all week.

And then when I was 9, a cousin of my dad's became head of programming at WPIX and would tell me months in advance which movie would be on each week.

She even let me request some - she aired Godzilla v Gamera thrice in one year at my request. Fucking loved watching Godzilla fight a giant turtle (I had pet turtles when I was a kid).

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I love old Japanese sci-fi (JSF). So very much. I think I've watched all the old Godzilla (Godjira!)(okay, I probably spelled that wrong. I am medicated) movies, used to watch every movie on .. hmm, it was channel 9, when I was a kid in S California. They would run the same movie every day for a week, and always the cheeziest sci fi/horror. The Blob, Godzilla, some giant fungus JSF movie... creature from the black lagoon.. *happy sigh*

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Scanned quickly through the previous posts and i do believe we forgot another one...:
Erin Gray in spandex...:nod:

Edit : This appeared on the side when watching Buck Rogers,i remember it well :

Yes, Buck Rogers! I loved that show too! How could I have forgot!Also one of my favorites! :doh:

And, Battlestar Galactica!

Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict and Anne Lockhart will be at MegaCon this year! I can't wait to meet them! Them and Karl Urban and John Barrowman!! :clap:

http://megaconvention.com/media-guests/

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
Forgot to mention- if you're a fan of the I.T. Crowd, you gotta try Garth Marenghi - Richard Ayoade at his absolute weirdest.
Will have to watch it. I love the I.T. Crowd. Big fan of Richard Ayoade. He hosts a show called Gadget Man too, absolutely hilarious.

NinjaMindTriks,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I want to go to MegaCon. I really do. Weird site, though... NOWHERE does it mention where in the hell it is. Took major sleuthing to find that it is in Orlando FL.

Of course, I am medicated.

TORCHWOOD will be there! arrrrggghhhhh

grokit

well-worn member
Op-ed: Disney takes a chainsaw to the Star Wars expanded universe
And good riddance, because almost all of it is crap.
by Lee Hutchinson - Jan 11, 2014 12:30 am UTC
93CWi-640x360.jpg

Star Wars is sacred to geeks. Characters in Kevin Smith movies refer to it as "the Holy Trilogy," and for almost as long as Star Wars has existed, fans have wanted to know more about the universe outside of the movies—and the canonicity of all the elements of that universe is the subject of almost ecclesiastical-scale debates. The movies are unquestionably official—they are the foundational elements of Star Wars, even Episodes I-III. However, the combined mass of video games, board games, tie-in novels, cartoons, and anything else branded with a Star Wars logo occupies a lesser tier in the hierarchy: all these things are still "official" in that they carry the logo, but they are merely part of the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

The Expanded Universe—the "EU"—sprawls like a bloated dead thing with tentacles stretching in all directions...
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...ail&utm_term=0_0adf3ee3d9-bdac877cdb-62359161

grokit,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Op-ed: Disney takes a chainsaw to the Star Wars expanded universe
And good riddance, because almost all of it is crap.
by Lee Hutchinson - Jan 11, 2014 12:30 am UTC
93CWi-640x360.jpg

Star Wars is sacred to geeks. Characters in Kevin Smith movies refer to it as "the Holy Trilogy," and for almost as long as Star Wars has existed, fans have wanted to know more about the universe outside of the movies—and the canonicity of all the elements of that universe is the subject of almost ecclesiastical-scale debates. The movies are unquestionably official—they are the foundational elements of Star Wars, even Episodes I-III. However, the combined mass of video games, board games, tie-in novels, cartoons, and anything else branded with a Star Wars logo occupies a lesser tier in the hierarchy: all these things are still "official" in that they carry the logo, but they are merely part of the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

The Expanded Universe—the "EU"—sprawls like a bloated dead thing with tentacles stretching in all directions...
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/op-ed-disney-takes-a-chainsaw-to-the-star-wars-expanded-universe/?utm_source=Ars Technica Newsletter&utm_campaign=bdac877cdb-September_02_2011_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0adf3ee3d9-bdac877cdb-62359161

I have faith that Disney and J.J. Abrams will completely destroy Star Wars. :nod:

http://www.thewrap.com/j-j-abrams-s...vii-script-done-confirms-jesse-plemons-talks/

Last edited:

zymos

Watched "Elysium" last night. Neat FX and premise, and a decent action/SF film. There were several dumb "wait, why would he go and do that...?!" moments, and Jodie Foster's performance was pretty annoying, but all in all enjoyable.

vapomancer

Scanned quickly through the previous posts and i do believe we forgot another one...:
Erin Gray in spandex...:nod:

Edit : This appeared on the side when watching Buck Rogers,i remember it well :

fantastic voyage freaked me out as a kid , I still remember nightmares of white blood cells chasing me around ...

Can't believe I forgot this one...Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Watched first one ... I can't believe i've never seen this . tyvm , arf . i'm going to watch all of these by fri .

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
Did anyone watch this? I liked it, even though I was younger.

And don;t forget the Twilight Zone from 1985 - possibly best line up in the history of SF tv. Harlan Ellison head writer and author of specific episodes, including one from his legendary short story 'Shatterday', with Bruce Willis actually acting beautifully.

For those who think they don't know Harlan Ellison, trust me, you do. Writer on: The original and 1980s Twilight Zone; the original Star Trek (it's most award-winning episode, 'City on the Edge of Forever' - emmy, hugo and nebula awards); multiple films; the original and revived Outer Limits; Logan's Run; The Man from U.N.C.L.E.; Alfred Hitchcock Hour.; Babylon 5. And at last check is still the most award winning author in history - Hugos, Nebulas, World Fantasy, Emmys, E.A. Poe, and World Mystery awards, just to name a few.

The producers of 'The Terminator' paid him what, at the time, was the largest plagiarism award ever, for The Terminator being a rip of 'Demon with a Glass Hand', a story Ellison had already done as an episode of The Outer Limits, which is itself a prequel to his most-famous story, "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". That takes place centuries after an AI took over the planet, wiped out humanity, and kept a few humans alive to torture for centuries. Source of the entire Terminator universe (and he is now credited on them). Stupid move by the producers of The Terminator - Ellison was president of the Screen Writers Guild at the time. Wrong dude to plagiarize.

Another episode, Grandma, with a truly stunning line up. Written by Stephen King and Harlan Ellison, based on HP Lovecraft, music by Mickey Hart and the Grateful Dead. Best writer-musician combo in all of SF, IMHO.

Grandma:

Shatterday (check out the bartender in the 1st scene - It's Harlan Ellison - so short he's standing on a platform so he can be seen behind the bar):

Angus Thermopyle

miner of truth & delusion
Top Bottom