Sci-Fi Movies and TV shows......

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
Blade Runner is one of my favorites. I also really liked District 9. The tv show Orphan Black is excellent too. Battlestar Galactica had me hooked and I binge watched the whole series on Netflix.

NinjaMindTriks,

arf777

No longer dogless
Blade Runner's overdue for a remake, by current standards anyways.
Great pitch @arf777, now get working on that screenplay :tup:!

I did write about 100 pages on the VALIS novels and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep in grad school. SO maybe I should try an accurate screenplay.

Another note, for hard SF fans - the title "Blade Runner" was taken from another SF writer (Alan Nourse), and was the name of a completely different (and especially now, politically relevant) SF book about a near-future US where most Americans have no health insurance and can only afford black market health care, provided by illicit doctors and surgeons called "Blade runners". Available on Kindle now. And FYI - this was the one William Burrough's Blade Runner screen treatment was based on, not the PKD. SO that is not one, but two, award-winnging SF novels gutted by Ridley Scott to make an (admittedly beautiful-looking) film that represented the contents of neither. This crap is why my absolute favorite SF writer (Gene Wolfe) has never allowed one of his books to be made a film, and my favorite fantasy writer (Michael Moorcock) has only allowed his really trippy ones, the Cornelius Chronicles, to be made. Though rumors of an Elric film persist, I am not holding my breath. I haven't even heard rumors about anyone trying to do one of Gene Wolfe's masterpieces, like The Book of the New Sun (which caused LeGuin and others to declare Wolfe 'the new Melville') and Soldier in the Mist (one of the inspirations for 'Momento').

http://www.amazon.com/Bladerunner-P...F8&qid=1389619511&sr=1-6&keywords=alan+nourse

For other PKD people - a French opera company actually did an opera of VALIS back in the late '80s. Fucking insane. Really hard to find - I only got to hear it because the Duke Music Library had a copy. French company, but they did it in English.

And of course H.P. Lovecraft wrote possibly the weirdest opera ever created, "The Fungi from Yuggoth". The arias are sung by sapient mushrooms. As far as I know it has never been performed, though rumor has it a group in Atlanta want to try. Not an opera fan, but I've always wanted to see it done...singing mushrooms and Lovecraftian squiddies. Ooooh. Here's a link to the original story, but the libretto is hard to find. I'll post a link when I find one.
http://www.amazon.com/Fungi-Yuggoth...619308&sr=1-1&keywords=the+fungi+from+yuggoth

A possible favorite SF film may be getting made - del Toro is trying to get funding for At the Mountains of Madness, would be the first properly made HPL - the B-movies from the 70s are worse than garbage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Mountains_of_Madness#Film

He tried a few years ago, but Cameron was making Prometheus (an open, even insulting, rip of ATMOM, he even had the faces of the Elder Ones as the 'star map' in all the carvings at the beginning, and a variant of the '70s paperback cover as one of the opening shots [hooded humanoid figure in a cold and rocky setting, arm pointing at something off-screen] though like so many Lovecraft covers it had zilch to do with the book; yet Cameron was almost involved in the attempt to make ATMOM).

max

Out to lunch
Blade Runner's overdue for a remake, by current standards anyways.
Great pitch @arf777, now get working on that screenplay :tup:!
I don't know about a remake, but Ridley Scott is involved with an "Untitled Blade Runner Project", according to IMDb.

max,
Reactions: grokit

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
I was afraid it would be cheesy too, but the premise intrigued me, and I ended up watching the whole thing.

Being a vaper of a certain age, I grew up with the classic 1968 movie. I was so pissed off at Tim Burton after that shitty remake he did. The guy who played Caesar was REALLY good.

arf777

No longer dogless
Hell yeah I do , lol . I also have a S.H.A.D.O. Interceptor and Tank from UFO . Funny the crap I've been unable to toss for 30 years ...
I'd forgotten this cheesy thing existed. But I watched all of it as a kid and loved it.

And forgot to mention one that looks just as cheesy but is awesome - Patrick Mcgoohan's The Prisoner.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Hell yeah I do , lol . I also have a S.H.A.D.O. Interceptor and Tank from UFO . Funny the crap I've been unable to toss for 30 years ...
Thank you. I have been trying for too many years to remember what the hell name of that series was! I LOVED that show!! *falls over laughing*

Okay, now it's in my Netflix queue....

Last edited:
Enchantre,

Belgianvapor

hey guys, talking about great sci fi movies and series, we're forgetting "a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"
The stargate series, all of them, the 3 seasons of the first star trek series, farscape was fun,
the 4400, heroes, the event, flash forward etc all good show but stopped too early.

Labyrinth is one of my all time favorite movies

I loved battlefield earth although everybody thinks it's bad.
The fifth element...MULTI PASS !!!!

G.O.R.A. an awesome turkish sci fi movie, very similar too a hitchhikers guide.

what?? I already wrote this much and I forgot to mention close encounters of the third kind??

Sunshine and similar movies (moon, mission to mars, the red planet, event horizon, sphere, alien series etc) where a few people must survive in a confined space with deadly atmoshpere outside also Always get my full attention.

SD_haze

hey guys, talking about great sci fi movies and series, we're forgetting
"a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"
Didn't care too much for the movie but I grew up reading the book series.
Really loved that stuff.
hitch-hikers-guide-to-the-galaxy.jpg

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I first watched Hitchhiker's when it was aired on PBS, back in the '70s. I managed to catch the first episode (when I had TV, PBS was the most-watched station), and was hooked.
I didn't have a good 'connection' for the movie (okay, I liked it, but it didn't really feel like Hitchhiker), but I really enjoyed the books, even though Adams himself mentioned that the books and the BBC series were barely parallel, much less the same. :)

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
I've never been big on either Schwarzenegger or Willis, but Total Recall and The Fifth Element were pretty good.

Greatest disappointment: Still no definitive version of DUNE :bang:

Highly Recommend: The Lathe of Heaven (1979, released in 1980) based on the novel by Ursula LeGuin. Very faithful to the story unlike the piece of crap remake that came out not too long ago. Urusla herself highly approved of the '79 version and IMO, it's a Sci Fi masterpiece.

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
I've never been big on either Schwarzenegger or Willis, but Total Recall and The Fifth Element were pretty good.

Greatest disappointment: Still no definitive version of DUNE :bang:

Highly Recommend: The Lathe of Heaven (1979, released in 1980) based on the novel by Ursula LeGuin. Very faithful to the story unlike the piece of crap remake that came out not too long ago. Urusla herself highly approved of the '79 version and IMO, it's a Sci Fi masterpiece.
I don't know about the Dune bit. I really liked the SciFi channel's miniseries of Dune with Alec Newman as Paul Atreides - it did leave out a lot, but almost everything in it was right from the book. I don't know how it could have been much better. And their Children of Dune with James McAvoy as Leto was decent, though not as good as Dune (McAvoy was too old - Leto is supposed to be a little kid). I've probably read the 1st three novels a dozen times since i was a kid.

vapomancer

I don't know about the Dune bit. I really liked the SciFi channel's miniseries of Dune with Alec Newman as Paul Atreides - it did leave out a lot, but almost everything in it was right from the book. I don't know how it could have been much better. And their Children of Dune with James McAvoy as Leto was decent, though not as good as Dune (McAvoy was too old - Leto is supposed to be a little kid). I've probably read the 1st three novels a dozen times since i was a kid.

I also think the SciFi miniseries is the best Dune movie so far , kind of funny how you can see the budget was blown on the premier ... they were down to guys wrestling a rubber worm in a spa on an old star trek set by the end

vapomancer

I first watched Hitchhiker's when it was aired on PBS, back in the '70s. I managed to catch the first episode (when I had TV, PBS was the most-watched station), and was hooked.
I didn't have a good 'connection' for the movie (okay, I liked it, but it didn't really feel like Hitchhiker), but I really enjoyed the books, even though Adams himself mentioned that the books and the BBC series were barely parallel, much less the same. :)

I saw this on pbs as well , and loved it . The animated bits from the guide still hold up , I'm pretty sure its just basic line animation , but it looks cool and the voice-over was a perfect know-it-all british accent .

vapomancer,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

EveryDayAmnesiac

Some of my fondest childhood memories revolve around watching Godzilla fuck shit up.

Just about every Saturday morning on the local channel there'd be a Godzilla movie shown at 6 am and usually followed by the original King Kong. I'd be jacked up on sugary cereal and ready to go right at 6 for most of age 7.

twgl.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom