Sativex Scheduled for FDA Trials

Rusty778

Getting Lost
This seems crazy to me, how is it that a pharmaceutical drug with it's two active ingredients being THC and Cannabidiol be considered for medical usage if by definition of marijuana's scheduling it has no medical use. I feel as if the government may push this through just so it can finally crackdown nationwide on medical marijuana dispensaries. :uhoh:

Rusty778,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Agreed, this is actually a bad sign I think. The government would love to have an "alternative" they can force us to use that will enrich their friends as well. Yes, this defies the very definition of a schedule 1 drug. Something has got to give somewhere, I just bet that when it does, it will not go our way.

t-dub,

Cleanfiend

devil's advocate here: as someone who is prescribed marinol, i am excited for the release of sativex. marinol is synthetic thc, and like many, i find it provides little relief. Sativex contains CBD, which is what I am personally after. i do not live in a medical state, so i look forward to the release of a whole plant extract med that I can legally access.

Cleanfiend,

SD_haze

Cleanfiend said:
devil's advocate here: as someone who is prescribed marinol, i am excited for the release of sativex. marinol is synthetic thc, and like many, i find it provides little relief. Sativex contains CBD, which is what I am personally after. i do not live in a medical state, so i look forward to the release of a whole plant extract med that I can legally access.
Remember though its not a whole extract if it only contains thc and cbd

There are over 60 or 80 cannabinoids and 200+ alkaloids that all come together to produce the final psychoactive/medicinal effects of the actual plant.

Its sure an improvement over marinol tho.

SD_haze,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I believe Marinol has some overdose related deaths as well. Legal alternatives are really important, my sister waits patiently to try Sativex for her muscle spasms, I just hope these substances aren't used as "leverage" against the MMJ community. After a year of this, and trying concentrates, I am finding I like flowers the best for medicating. The oil I tried in my new Revolution was just sooooo strong . . . and I didn't feel the body effects (pain relief, body waves etc) with it like I do with flowers.

t-dub,

SD_haze

Nuphile said:
According to the manufacturer's website and this article, http://cannabistimesmagazine.com/2011/10/06/sativex-is-it-liquid-marijuana/,
Sativex is an alcohol based tincture made from a 50/50 mixture of two specific cannabis strains, and contains all cannabis compounds that are soluble in alcohol.

Seems like a pretty rudimentary extraction method for a pharmaceutical company, and I am sure the market price will be outrageous.

Looks like I was completely wrong its definitely a whole plant extract. This creates kind of an odd situation because that makes it virtually indistinguishable from a tincture one would make purely for recreational use.

What's also interesting is that article says the FDA approved USA trials for sativex all the way back in 2005 and actually started in 2007. Hopefully the conclusion will be positive.

Food for thought:
Medical Marijuana in america works entirely through state law.
With the federal government's scheduling of cannabis as Schedule 1, with no currently accepted medical use, I don't see how its possible the FDA could approve Sativex, as they operate fully under federal laws, rather than state.

At the very least, cannabis would have to be rescheduled down to Schedule II, and that seems like a longshot no matter how much it should happen. Cocaine & Opium are schedule II for darn sake.

SD_haze,

vap999

If approved, which would ultimately be a political decision, FDA will surely require tight controls on its marketing. In fact, like an increasing number of new pharmaceuticals, particularly those for orphan (niche; specialized) indications (specific uses; small patient populations), such as to which Sativex is currently targeted, Sativex may not even be distributed at all, such as available through local or even hospital pharmacies. Rather, it could simply be directly sold by the manufacturer (or its U.S. rep) to only qualified, registered users in localities where the product is otherwise fully legal. This direct manufacturer distribution route effectively prevents all off-label prescriptions (broader use by others) and the companies like it because it forces patients to come to them with the patients becoming part of post-approval clinical trials, reduces marketing costs, allows them to pocket markups that otherwise go to middlemen, etc. Thus, if it follows this route, which might be required for political reasons alone, few may ever get to receive it, other than those multiple sclerosis (MS) patients experiencing the specific neuropathic pain and/or other specific MS side effects for which the product is being tested and, presumably, will receive approval.

vap999,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
SD_Haze,
The US Federal Govt somehow has a way of getting around scheduling. For years now, it has been supplying cannabis to a few select patients. Check this website:
http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=257

vap999,
I had never previously considered this type of marketing. It would be interesting to see the FDA approve a schedule I drug to be distributed only to US States where medical marijuana is legal.

Nuphile,
Top Bottom