sativa/indica need different heat?

WetLunGz

I've been readeing some post witrh people saying they use higher temp for one over other. Is there really a diff? I thoiguht the difference in indic@a/sativa was way it grows/forms buds, and certain aspects of the high. But I thought thc was thc vaping souldnt matter....ne thoughts?

WetLunGz,

Konrad_Zuse

Every compound vapes at their certain temps it doesn't matter what plant is what. thc will still vape at the same temps, the same with the rest of the cannabinoids.

Konrad_Zuse,

moonlit knight

Sativa and Indica strains are defined by the amount of THC to CBN they have in them one of them has more CBN than the other (can't remember which) and so would need a higher temperature as CBN evapourates at a hgiher temp.

moonlit knight,

realvapedman

Konrad is correct, but Im surprizsed nobody mentioned DENSITY...

All cannabinoidal compounds (THC, CBD, CBN, ect...) will volatize at their same respective volatization temps no matter what strain you are vaping. The Caviat is this... Indica's CBD levels are higher then Sativa's CBD levels, although ALL STRAINS have more THC vs CBD on any given nug you are looking at, but Indicas have more CBD when compared to Sativas. THC volatizes at a lower temp then CBD so the first thing you feel is the THC and then as you raise your temp you start to volatize the other Cannabinoids. Also Indica buds are more dense and compact then Sativas so you will have to turn up the heat to get to the good stuff inside. Think of cooking a steak versus an entire roast. Steak cooks quicker right? I always start the heat at the same temp no matter what strain I'm vaping, but normally bowls packed with my Sativa Strains will quit producing Vape long before my Indica Strains and I think its due to 2 main factors. More Dense buds, and higher CBD levels. :cool:

But I have to admit, lately I have been preferring the extreemely clear energetic heady high that my vaporizer is giving me with my Sativa strains. Not to mention I'm preferring the flavor from my Sativas in my Vape as well. I find this very ironic for myself because back when I was combusting I was a Die Hard Indica guy. I rarely ever combusted a Sativa. Just goes to show you the whole new world a vaporizer can open up for a well seasoned head as myself.

realvapedman,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@realvapedman

What you say about bud density makes sense, but most of us (all?) break up or grind our buds prior to use so I don't see that being a big factor. Perhaps in a bong where you might smoke an entire nugget.

Tom

tdavie,

lwien

Yeah, davie, I was going to say the same thing. Once a bud goes through my grinder, it matters not if it was originally dense or not and other than vaping in an HerbalAire, I do believe that grinding to produce a lot of surface area is the best way to go.

lwien,

realvapedman

Actually, in order to grind your bud to a consisty that renders all strains density equal, you will have to grind with a food processor / coffee grinder. Your (and my) Aluminum Grinders are still gonna leave Calyxes in their entiriety on the screen. Have you taken a look at a Sativa Calyx vs an Indica Calyx?? Try giving each one a squeeze inbewteen your fingers. You WILL notice the difference.

realvapedman,

Konrad_Zuse

moonlit knight said:
Sativa and Indica strains are defined by the amount of THC to CBN they have in them one of them has more CBN than the other (can't remember which) and so would need a higher temperature as CBN evapourates at a hgiher temp.
No, that is incorrect. It used to be HIGHER THC and LESS CBD was a Sativa, and the opposite for an Indica, which isn't true, it's basically a myth. There is too much in the plant to tell what is what imo. People can say one thing or the other, but you cannot tell. Most plants have little CBD to begin with so that rules it out right there. As for "Density" You grind your buds up, so density wont matter. If you throw a nug in the ha it will completely vape it, so that wont mattet either.

Konrad_Zuse,

lwien

realvapedman said:
Actually, in order to grind your bud to a consisty that renders all strains density equal, you will have to grind with a food processor / coffee grinder. Your Mendo Mulchers are still gonna leave Calyxes in their entiriety on the screen. Have you taken a look at a Sativa Calyx vs an Indica Calyx. Try squeezing one inbewteen your fingers. You WILL notice the difference.
I use a 2pc ti SpaceCase, and after about 6 to 7 twists, I see no difference in the quality, consistency or fineness of the grind regardless if it's an Indica or a Sativa.

lwien,

realvapedman

lwien said:
realvapedman said:
Actually, in order to grind your bud to a consisty that renders all strains density equal, you will have to grind with a food processor / coffee grinder. Your Mendo Mulchers are still gonna leave Calyxes in their entiriety on the screen. Have you taken a look at a Sativa Calyx vs an Indica Calyx. Try squeezing one inbewteen your fingers. You WILL notice the difference.
I use a 2pc ti SpaceCase, and after about 6 to 7 twists, I see no difference in the quality, consistency or fineness of the grind regardless if it's an Indica or a Sativa.
If the holes in your grinder are larger then the circumference of the Calyxes from the strain you are grinding then the calyxes will never be 100 % Grinded. Even half of a Calyx is big enough to carry a different density then half of another calyx from a different strain. Density plays a major role. Like I said, the grinders dont grind fine enough to render all strains desitiy equal. Thats a fact. :cool:
That being said, I dont think grinding your bud down to a powder is going to make for a better vaping experience. The point I'm trying to make is Aluminum grinders dont grind the herb fine enough to render all strains density equal. :peace:

realvapedman,

Konrad_Zuse

realvapedman said:
lwien said:
realvapedman said:
If the holes in your grinder are larger then the circumference of the Calyxes from the strain you are grinding then the calyxes will never be 100 % Grinded. Even half of a Calyx is big enough to carry a different density then half of another calyx from a different strain. Density plays a major role. Like I said, the grinders dont grind fine enough to render all strains desitiy equal. Thats a fact. :cool:
2pc grinders have no holes, thus it can be grinded into dust. Also if you turn a 4pc upside down and continually grind, it's fine too.

Konrad_Zuse,

lwien

realvapedman said:
Like I said, the grinders dont grind fine enough to render all strains desitiy equal. Thats a fact. :cool:
No it's not. See KZ's post above.

lwien,

realvapedman

Obviously KZ needs to get some Rx glasses or a magnifying glass, or better yet squeeze some calyxes (or partial calyxes) sitting on his screen at the bottom of his hand grinder. Grinders do not grind all strains to the same density. Density is determined by the Genetics of the strain. You will need to grind down to almost a powder in order to render all strains density equal. Trust me. I dont care what KZ says on this particular subject because he's wrong. I would like someone else to honestly say that Sativas ground in their hand grinder has the same density as an Indica ground in the same grinder. That is not a very intelligent statement and shows that he has stated something as a matter of fact without actually taking the time to determine through some sort of methodoligy if their is validity to that statement. Simply saying "it all looks the same to me" just shows ignornace and non observant qualities on his part because we all who have been toking different strains for a while know better then that. :2c:

realvapedman,

lwien

So let me get this straight. I said, "I use a 2pc ti SpaceCase, and after about 6 to 7 twists, I see no difference in the quality, consistency or fineness of the grind regardless if it's an Indica or a Sativa." And then, you responded with, "If the holes in your grinder are larger then the circumference of the Calyxes from the strain you are grinding then the calyxes will never be 100 % Grinded."

And then you say that KZ needs glasses? Sounds like someone else is a bit myopic here. Like he said, 2pc grinders don't have holes. So I suggest that before suggesting that someone needs glasses that doesn't agree with you, to take a look at your own responses here.

Also, your comment of, "I dont think grinding your bud down to a powder is going to make for a better vaping experience." While I agree that grinding down to a powder is not typically necessary, grinding down to a very fine grind, almost to a powder, IS necessary for a good vaping experience with certain vaporizers and being that THAT is a fact, it matters not if you are grinding a Sativa or an Indica, and stating that only a food processor or a coffee grinder can accomplish this is just false. And finally, your statement of, "The point I'm trying to make is Aluminum grinders dont grind the herb fine enough to render all strains density equal." is also false, at least when viewed through the naked eye. Can't say anything about viewing through a scope. I've never made that comparison.

lwien,

realvapedman

Ok. Obviously with no holes in your grinder you can grind it finer in a 2 piece grinder then in a 3 or 4 piece grinder (unless you turn it upside down), and in this case it may be more difficult to visually notice the difference in density (especially for those who need reading glasses), but in that case, like I said, the real test is the squeeze test. Just squeez some partial calyxes. Sense of touch can probably tell you more about the density then sense of vision. :2c: The point is this. What you see at the bottom of your grinder is not always what it appears to be. :cool:

Oh, and if all things are equal and we use a little bit of some relative theory then you will come to the conclusion that bud more dense in its entiriety is also going to be more dense after being grinded in the same grinder, the same way, by the same person vs bud that is less dense in its entirety grinded in the same grinder, the same way, by the same person etc... Its the same thing with temperatures in respect to how close the herb sits to the heating element. Just because you lower your temp setting because your bowl sits closer to the heating element doesnt mean you are vaping at a lower temp. Sure your heating element is operating at a lower temp (which is good for your machine) but your Cannabinoids are still volatizing at the same temp. Its all relative my friend, but that doesnt neccesarily mean its all exactly the same. :brow:
Personally I like these kind of forum back and forth discussions. When done with mostly intelligent people we can actually deduce some pretty amazing things together. No hard feelings. Its never personal. :peace:

realvapedman,

tuttle

While we may not come to a consensus about the density of herb fresh from the grinder, can we all come to the consensus that the past tense and past participle of grind is ground, not grinded? ;)

tuttle,

realvapedman

LOL! Who said "grinded"? That wasnt me was it?? :uhoh: LOL!!!
WoW! I didnt vape this morning. Thats gotta be why. LOL! I meant Ground. ;)

realvapedman,

MikRoOrganix

Erlhead!
The plant produces almost all THC. Once the trichomes ripen and begin to 'degrade' some of the thc turns into CBD; as the trichomes turn from clear to 50% clear/50% cloudy to amber.

Cannabis sativa and cannabis indica are the scientific names of two completely separate genus of families. They are genetic cousins in a way. There are hundreds of cannabinoids and each becomes available at a different temperature. Many can be burned up if they are overheated.

MikRoOrganix,

MikRoOrganix

Erlhead!
Ummm not to call anyone out but I do not see what the density of calyxes or whether they are whole or ground up has to do with anything??? How does that have any relevance to the topic of the thread which is different heat needed for indo/sat?

IMO the extraction of psychoactives is dependant on WHAT VAPE you are using - again IMO my HerbalAire will get near-complete extraction, and I do not save the ABV. Using ABV from my VHW or MFLB I can get several thick bags from the HA. The HA is a very effecient and complete extractor and it will extract a sativa or indica with equal ease.

Now I THINK the point of this thread is REALLY - "What different psychoactives are present in indicas / sativas, and at what temperatures do these psychoactives become available." There are hundreds of psychoactives and we are certainly NOT talking about the myth of sativas being composed of THC and indo being CBN. Indo and Sat will have very different psychoactive profiles.

MikRoOrganix,

tuttle

MikRoOrganix said:
The plant produces almost all THC. Once the trichomes ripen and begin to 'degrade' some of the thc turns into CBD; as the trichomes turn from clear to 50% clear/50% cloudy to amber.
May just be a typo, but to be clear THC decomposes to CBN, not CBD.

tuttle,

realvapedman

tuttle said:
MikRoOrganix said:
May just be a typo, but to be clear THC decomposes to CBN, not CBD.
:cool:

realvapedman,
Top Bottom