Sapphire/Ruby Beads/Spheres for Concentrates

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
FWIW, I definitely notice a difference in flavour between 6mm and 8mm. Much prefer the smaller.

I've seen similar comments about the number of spheres too, where adding more seems to disrupt terpenes. That makes a little more sense in my brain knowing what we do about how percolation affects terpenes, though, than the size/mass itself.

I mentioned this before but I think hitting the banger walls and floors in different areas is key.

That's interesting, hadn't considered that aspect. Maybe I'll try a 5mm and 8mm this evening.

Last edited:

VAPEHUNTER

Hey guys, @wildything posted in the Flowerpot thread last Tuesday about some SiC terp pearls he found on E-bay. I figured I’d also put this info here in case anyone missed it.
They are 5mm and I seem to notice an improvement in taste over my ruby terp pearls. Below is his post with the link and my post from the Flowerpot thread. :peace:

I received these SiC terp pearls tonight and after an ISO soak followed by a distilled water soak. I am very pleased to say, IMO, they are easily worth the 20 bucks!
There is definitely an improvement in taste, nothing to drastic but a noticeable improvement over my rubies.
They seem to clean a bit better than my ruby terp pearls too. My rubies always seemed to have a film or haze on them but these “SiC pearls” clean up like new with a few Q-tips of distilled water.
Thank for the heads up @wildything .
:cheers: :peace:

biohacker

Well, it isn't exactly quartz, but in the same family there's opals! :love:

There's even a guy on IG doing it:

https://www.instagram.com/opal_dabs/

Thanks! Those look gorgeous! However, now i'm curious about these GTR "spinner" type caps...

In the one video, there were 3 pearls, and use used a spinner cap, and it looked like they just splashed oil up the side walls!

Not sure I want to go with that cap now, although I don't usually use 3 pearls... wouldn't one be more efficient and like, prevent that from happening?

Mr. Whitewall

Maybe using an insert would prevent this?

Most vids I have seen, they use two to four pearls though. But I guess it also depends on the diameter and how hard he's pulling? :shrug:

EDIT: ...His GTR technique may have something to do with it as well?

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
You will get that splatter affect with any Riptide, Cyclone or dhgate knock off version IMO. I have only tried the dhgate knock offs, however I the concept is all the same and that is to create a cyclonic movement of air in the banger. This is great for over terpy big globs cause you need extra air, however I believe the extra cold air being brought in so fast not only takes from the flavor, but I believe it also creates condensation in your oil that makes it more likely to splatter. All I really know is that from my experience, my traditional style bubble caps do not usually cause splatter on the walls but my riptide knockoffs always create splatter.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
@nosmoking That is super valuable information/feedback to me so thanks so much! You just saved me some money and grief, especially since I love my cap so much as it is, and oil on the walls is no bueno for this dab head.
Shane and several others who actually have the Gordo versions have also stated that they prefer the slower more user-controlled movement of the terp pearls with a bubble cap over the faster movement. I believe the reasons are similar to what is stated above, but above everything the hit just feels fuller and tastes better with a bubble cap.

I only use my riptide knockoffs if I don't want to taste my concentrates, which fortunately is very rare.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
I found (1) 6mm and (1) 8mm at the same time to be my favorite. I mentioned this before but I think hitting the banger walls and floors in different areas is key. When I go big on my dabs I always notice a pool in the center of the bucket where the pearls don't reach and I always think I need a larger 10mm pearl added in for those large hits so there is less wasted material.

So, in my limited tests, I'd have to agree here. I went with a 5mm and 8mm and the oil dispersion and vaporization was pretty impressive in comparison to a single 5mm or 6mm pearl. However, my banger walls got messy real fast. I take relatively small dabs so pooling isn't a huge issue most of the time. I'll do some more testing but for my usage, I'll likely stick with the smaller ones (that SiC insert has the potential to change my mind when it gets here, though!)

edit: this was with a cap similar to the GTR, so may have exacerbated oil getting pushed up the walls more. I'll give the standard bubble cap a try tonight.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
How did it go? Just curious as i've been experimenting with a single 6mm and 8mm recently, and am trying to avoid any oil up the wall (as much as possible). More testing! :brow:

The normal cap did help -- more control and gentler agitation -- but I haven't given it a very thorough comparison. I've been using the SiC dish from fadespace basically since it showed up. Generally speaking, I like keeping things simple with my dab experience. I started looking into inserts to help with maintenance/cleaning, but feel like they're mostly unnecessary with an e-nail and end up convoluting the process. That said, I'm really digging this SiC dish so far... it's just so easy to keep clean and a painless experience. Heat retention is moderate, not the best but sufficient. There have been a few times when I've taken a fairly large rip and it takes about 20-30 seconds for the dish to re-stabilize its temp. I'm assuming that's because there is about a 1-2mm gap between it and the banger walls. I have a slightly thicker banger on the way (the half opaque from GG), so hopefully that helps. I haven't tried drop-tech yet, but it seems like that's where it'd really shine under the same circumstances.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I saw this on eBay, 5mm SiC spheres for $3.33 each+free ship. I saw another post in another thread maybe(?) somewhere and can’t find it now because I am floating away on a cloud of memory foam and can’t be bothered. It’s another eBay seller putting his 5mm SiC balls on offer at 2fer20$ + not sure about shipping.
I’m not saying they’re equal in quality but isn’t a 5mm SiC ball a 5mm SiC ball?

When I read/write “SiC balls”, I always hear “Chopper! SiC balls!” in my head.

Another twisted movie quote:
“I’m high as hell, and I’ve got ganja to vape it evermore!” - :razz:

biohacker

Thermal shocked the shit outta my two 6mm ruby pearls by taking them out hot and dunking them in room temp ISO. No problems.

Put my freshly torch cleaned sapphire dish on my granite kitchen counter, and came back to nice "character crack" on the bottom :lol: It's funny because it was only $50! :brow:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Anyone have a source for 4mm Ruby or Sapphire terp pearls?

Eternal Quartz has them - you just have to expect to wait about a month to get your order and then pray to some god that you actually get the correct thing.

I ordered a Puffco Peak insert, got the wrong one from them and have been trying to get it corrected for over a month with no luck. I got an insert worth literally half the price of the one I ordered...

After a few promises to get it corrected with no action, I think I'm about to file a chargeback before I'm past the 60 days.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Eternal Quartz has them - you just have to expect to wait about a month to get your order and then pray to some god that you actually get the correct thing.

I ordered a Puffco Peak insert, got the wrong one from them and have been trying to get it corrected for over a month with no luck. I got an insert worth literally half the price of the one I ordered...

After a few promises to get it corrected with no action, I think I'm about to file a chargeback before I'm past the 60 days.

Eternal is unfortunately notorious for that!

Top Bottom