Sapphire and Ruby inserts for bangers

biohacker

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Yeah, his was from an earlier batch. Mine is fresh from the new batch. Will reserve judgment til I actually try it.

Anecdotes don't really do it for me anymore

muunch,

Azn2101

Yeah, his was from an earlier batch. Mine is fresh from the new batch. Will reserve judgment til I actually try it.

Anecdotes don't really do it for me anymore

I get ya and to be honest im kinda flavor dumb I completely get going off your own experience.

This is only his 2nd batch since the June Pre-release orders isn't it?

Either way I thoroughly enjoy the AiN but as far as it being "Super" Tier is kinda over selling it to SiC. When I messed around with the Sapphire insert I noticed that it will really only push out vapor until a certain point and gives more of that POP some people are looking for in the low temp dabs with the material where as on the AiN you can climb the flavor ladder all the way to down to shit and it'll still pump out vapor as to where the Sapphire just moved around the dark puddle.

Also this is something interesting I found out DC Cleaner is a Alkaline Substance at 10.8 so DO NOT USE IT for cleaning the AiN and even though he said I haven't damaged the insert I have to wonder how much ~10 cleanings effected it (just enough to cover the bottom and slow heated until boiled swabbed out with a Qtip)

Also I've found that direct torch cleaning takes more time to clean than putting it Inside of a Banger with a cheapo mid sized puck (3-4mm) will give it a more consistent clean from my experience.

Playing with it in an ENail is has slightly more throat feels to the hits but balances out when a .05 turns into 2 full breathe inhales. Kinda got one of those "fuck I'm WAAYY to high to go into society" highs but the Sapphire does seem to be smoother on the throat with an Enail set-up.

Bottom line, I like it and think it was worth the purchase at the price I received it at but if I ever lost it or broke it it would be a long shot that I buy another at full price.

Last point is that those unpolished spots when moving the directional/bubble cap over it to move the puddle it will literally send about half the dab in the direction your twisting the cap/moving the puddle and the other half is divided between some droplets being thrown about inside the banger and the puddle kind of being kept in that rough area so it takes a strong pull with the cap over that spot or pulling out the insert to literally tilt it until it moves out of the mountainous area to a smooth surface.

I hope yours comes in good and that he does fix the skipping & digging on the surface polish :tup:.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Ah dude, did not mean any offense by my statements!

I feel at this point in my vaporizing career, I simply need to try it to form my own opinion. Simply reading about it, or looking at pictures, or understanding the physics doesn't always translate...

Best example of this is the SiC... On paper it destroys quartz... I didn't find this to translate and prefer quartz.

Not sure how I'll feel about the AlN. Trying to remain neutral. Never been a huge fan of Fadespace but I do want a better experience. I'd be pleased if it was better but no problem selling it if it sucks.

Azn2101

Ah dude, did not mean any offense by my statements!

I feel at this point in my vaporizing career, I simply need to try it to form my own opinion. Simply reading about it, or looking at pictures, or understanding the physics doesn't always translate...

Best example of this is the SiC... On paper it destroys quartz... I didn't find this to translate and prefer quartz.

Not sure how I'll feel about the AlN. Trying to remain neutral. Never been a huge fan of Fadespace but I do want a better experience. I'd be pleased if it was better but no problem selling it if it sucks.

Oh crap my bad man. I see after reading my post that it does seem a bit defensive.

I totally get it and I probably shouldn't be commenting here cause I'm so new to banger dabbing and really can't give very good "comparison" posts anyway.

I'll slowly fade back into the crowd and listen to the guru's lol

Azn2101,
Reactions: muunch

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
No worries at all. I've been typing and composing these messages at work so maybe not giving full attention to my posts either :tup:

muunch,
Reactions: Azn2101

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
I'll slowly fade back into the crowd and listen to the guru's lol

Nah man, it's always worthwhile hearing other people's experiences!

No definitely don't do that! This thread is crickets chirping enough as it is AND one of the very few that I actually even follow anymore. You have valuable feedback dude (you're the AiN guru!) So stay a while...stay forever!

Hear hear!

Azn2101

No worries at all. I've been typing and composing these messages at work so maybe not giving full attention to my posts either :tup:

Thanks for understanding man. :)

@biohacker @superdang9000

That means a lot guys. Sometimes I feel like there's so much science behind what a "Dab" is and the applications we use to enhance them that because I really don't have a lot of first hand knowledge with other things to compare the AiN to so I feel more like the Lab Rat :lol:.

But ya this thread is a straight logic bomb for dabbing connisours and people interested with the in-depth aspects of the materials we vape off of.

One day I'll grow a bigger pair and use the Sapphire Insert regularly too lol.

Edit: totally forgot to end with my point that I appreciate you guys listening. =)

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
well, I don't think it's an overstatement to state that quartz is only good for holding other inserts :haw:

can't lie, the flavor on this AlN is UNREAL and it rips in my Peak...

Still need to do more testing and get this thing in a banger, but yeah. I'm sold. It's either gonna be this or sapphire/ruby going forward for me. I will try sapphire/ruby when I can just out of curiosity, but I do appreciate the lack of maintenance the AlN has and no worry of thermal shock. It's also true that AlN is biocompatible, and there is no evidence of corundum being so. Of course this is just nitpicking. I don't think Fadespace is superbigbrain businessman, but I can't say his products are shit and he's all talk. He is passionate about the right things, just in the wrong way. Maybe he is a bit extreme - I won't forget how he treated my buddy, but I do think I would buy this again if I broke or lost it (or maybe buy fullsize one, idk)

I've done a bunch of back to back testings (and will still do more) but I can't believe how dull quartz tastes in comparison.

I can't comment on "increased fx" or anything of the sort yet, but yeah, the flavor alone is good enough for me.

maybe I should just chilled and played cool liked the homie @Azn2101 but I do think the difference is taste is pretty large.

Last edited:

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
@muunch how's the polish on yours?

I gotta admit, I'm pretty intrigued. But I've been so happy with my sapphire insert lately... and not so fond of SiC.

So, Dark Crystal is a no go, I'm assuming that'd be the same for Simple Green. Anybody know what Fadespace recommends for deep cleaning, hopefully aside from a torch? Cleaning/maintenance is an important factor to me, and @Azn2101's comments about the texture definitely make me hesitate.

Azn2101

I'm glad your enjoying yours @muunch !

I think the jump from the stock inserts with both the Peak & Carta (or any other AiO devices if they were made for them) to a FS SiC is a huge improvement so I can only imagine the AiN making it seem really good since before the plastic starts melting on each Carta atomizer it tastes like a decent dab for a few seconds and even longer with the Peak but it was much less consistent in performance output from session to session but I'm not saying that's any knock on the flavor or device (mine just sucked lol) and you are probably more close to it's true flavor profile because of my off & on taste buds but recently when trying to get the best description of flavor to post here what I'll do is use a Opaque drop-in for a day or two than use the special inserts (Sapphire/AiN/SiC) and it gives me a much better perspective I think from going from Opaque to switching between AiN, SiC & Sapphire.

What I can't seem to do with the AiN is find a good temperature for sugary Live Resin (Raw Garden) but can get decent fluffy hits from the SiC and Sapphire, just not from the AiN so I'm wondering if I'm going to high or too low at the 480 temp on the Controller but I found out my IR is Shit (thanks fellow stoner at Harbor Freight ='( lol) so im not sure about temps but i try to look for slight bubbling for a second or so then cap it and get clouds, it's just not that simple for the AiN apparently...it wants a movie and 5-star dinner before it puts out....good vapor ;) but it seriously is driving me up a wall lol:bang:

@superdang9000 so apparently the surfaces aren't "Polished" as per what I saw in FadeSpaces Post so that makes me wonder why there's these spots on mine. They may truly be worth the money, but I really do like how much easier to clean SiC is than AiN and seemingly more forgiving than the AiN but when I do get that perfect temp the flavor is very robust and plentiful that I can't say is better than SiC but does have a different feel and flavor more reminiscent of Sapphire.

Tell me if I'm wrong but Sapphire vapor feels more...light on the lungs than SiC? Is that a statement that you & other users would agree with?

I have been talking to someone who sells FS AiN & SiC for people in the UK and he's saying the the true power of the AiN is in "Torch Dabbing" from it's crazy heat retention, not sure what he keeps meaning when he says that but the owner previous to this one (the ESB TruthTech Banger guy that the insert wouldn't fit in so he sold it to me...such a weird reason to sell a $225 insert lol) said that with Torch Dabbing he felt it was just too hard to get consistant hits because of the long cooldown time and he felt like if you didn't heat the banger evenly that it would really effect the hit and thought a good Enail Set-up would be it's best bet for its performance but that is something I can't be sure of because I'm so bad at consistent torch dabbing without an insert haha.

Edit: for deep cleaning he recommends 99% ISO or steam bath with Distilled Water, or torch cleaning and nothing else. I think that the indirect cleaning is the way to go but I'm also pretty OCD.

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
@muunch how's the polish on yours?

I gotta admit, I'm pretty intrigued. But I've been so happy with my sapphire insert lately... and not so fond of SiC.

Iso and water is all that is recommended for cleaning, besides heat cleaning. I personally prefer this... yeah the Quartz would wipe clean, but that usually involved using DC cleaner and swabbing RIGHT after a dab... not so much, with the AlN. I'm not really tripping anymore if I don't have a qtip RIGHT away after taking a dab. Even not qtipping at all, doing another dab and THEN qtipping seems to work just fine if you're extra lazy.

I was kinda worried about the finish on mine, but I can't get a qtip to snag if I swab it dry... I can also stick my pinky into the insert and move it around with no risks of cutting it or anything. While the inside bottom is not as smooth as the outside, there is barely a difference in the textures imo.

I need to get this thing in a banger so I can give some REAL feedback but I'm pretty pleased so far.

Btw this is what should tell you NOT to use anything with a high PH in this insert:

https://ceramics.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1151-2916.2000.tb01145.x

I was getting mid 400s on my AlN in an empty Peak, using my k type thermocouple on the green setting.

I can pull vapor off it on the blue setting (lowest setting) but I prefer it a little hotter. I also found the taste, even at the highest setting was very strong/sharp, whereas quartz at that temp tasted very muted.

I do think it's much better at transferring the heat from the insert into the material inside the insert than quartz was. I also have been surprised a few times at how long it holds heat... I have gone to pickup the insert after a dab (thought I had waited long enough) but the thing was still roarin hot!

I found someone in my state with a Peak+SiC setup they like, and kinda wanna sesh with them so I can do back to backs with the AlN and SiC. However,I personally was not a fan of the SiC in any capacity really. I tried 2 SiC Peak inserts and 3 Flowerpot SiC dishes and didn't find any of them super amazing like how I am finding the flavor from the AlN

Last edited:

Azn2101

Btw this is what should tell you NOT to use anything with a high PH in this insert:

https://ceramics.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1151-2916.2000.tb01145.x
hmm the test was done at 750°C and I'm fairly sure I never steamed it past 400 or Qtipped past 500 so I'm hoping I dodged a bullet (thanks for the chart @muunch) but I also remember a tear drop of DC cleaner just floating on the AiN's surface after it's last steam bath so I'm kinda tripping about that. have a message from him when I asked about DC cleaner and he didn't say don't use it, he just said "that's fine but there's really no need since it torch cleans back to brand new and we just think that nothing Boofy or Basic should be used on our inserts except Distillled water and 99 ISO"

But we all know that trying to get some understanding from FadeSpace is like trying to squeeze blood from a Rock
..it just isn't going to happen lol.

He keeps telling me the insert looks fine but aesthetic really don't mean much when it comes to using it at 400-500°F lol.

Last edited:

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
Dammit, I was hoping you two would talk me out of it. :argh::rofl: Well fine, after the next paycheck I may order one up and do some testing against the sapphire.

superdang9000,
Reactions: muunch

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I tried my quartz again after a few days of just AlN just to test... Definitely seeing more vapor, more quickly, and with more flavor when I use the AlN.

I ordered a banger/torch to do some further testing... 30mm banger tho... this is going to feel like one of those.... uh nevermind....

Will be grabbing an enail again, perhaps not near future for that, but, definitely at some point.

Last edited:
muunch,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I have been using my ultrasonic cleaner with great results with plain water to clean my ruby stuff,
img_20191023_201801-jpg.13979

started@52

As inexperienced with dabbing as I am, I can’t believe what a difference(at least in my brain) I am experiencing with the @710Coils Ruby insert, 30mm in my case, is making. I held off as long as I could wanting to wait and get use to dabbing off quartz(which I love to begin with) before heating up the ruby insert in the 30mm coil and banger(710).

Wow, I can’t believe how little I am using and the wonderful daytime relief and effects I am getting dabbing off a 350° surface temp on the ruby floor. Home pressed rosin (pull and snap) little 2-3mm ball dropped in the center of the ruby insert doesn’t even make it to the wall edge because it’s the same temp as the floor. I measured the center of a 30mm and 25mm banger in the center and on the edge with a Terpometer and there is up to a 20° difference in floor temperature on bare quartz 710 Coils banger(thick bottom). The ruby insert in the 30mm banger is the same at the wall edge as the center. Cleanup was a breeze with a dry qtip, damp but no puddle.

No big clouds in the glass but can see vapor on exhale and I get 4/5 draws like that. Hits more like good flower 10-15 mins later and lasts as long too. Been doing one about every two hours while being active all day.
376-DD66-E-013-B-4-CBB-AAA3-7231-E0-C2-DCD9.jpg

Top Bottom