Sandardized Test Bench

Egzoset

Banned
Vaporizers vary in features and shapes quite wildely but there's one common denominator to them all: the user's mouth. Now, replace the user with this:

YouTube - WaterFall Vaporizer Setup

...provided the conditions including lightning are equal between each test i'd assume one gets the starting point for systematic vaporizer comparisons. Perhaps it's not really possible and there would have to be sub-classes to compare devices that compare, i don't know. I simply wish it could be done so we can appreciate the video recordings corresponding to each vaporizer available on the market and then decide for ourselves which we liked best before actually commiting in purchasing a specific brand/model...

:science:

Egzoset,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
you will need something to consistently pull it up at the same speed. If you vary your speed with which you pull up you can actually change the density of the hit.

however this set up is pretty fun for giving your those gotta sit down kind of hits.... nothing like taking a whole bowl in one gigantic hit that makes the world spin

DevoTheStrange,

Egzoset

Banned
Well, this illustration sticks much more accurately to the linked video:

Waterfall_bong_diagram.jpg

Due to environmental variations it would be practically impossible to obtain records which compare visually so that means the vaporizers would need to be tested at the very same site. One test bench for all tests translates as only one set of opening diameters, etc., leading to equal negative pressure everytime, etc. Good lightning conditions would help to notice differences if any, and repeated attempts should reveal how vaporizers perform at extraction, etc...

This is the bucket system:

YouTube - The Greatest Bucket Ever Made

I'd favour this system instead as there are no moving parts:

YouTube - Vaporizer waterfall

:)

Egzoset,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
heres a brainfart:

doesn't the gov have a way to test cigs for tar nicotine and crap? i seem to remeber something about a cig hanging from a tube and a machine would 'smoke' it and collect the smoke for analyzing.

could that testing system be adapted to anaylze the effectiveness of different vapes? you would just collect the vapor taht the different vapes produce using a known and consistent product sample (strain of medicine). this would be easiest for whip style vapes. then you should be able to measure the different percentages of the active ingredients to gauge its effectiveness.

might only be a true lab grade instrument, not really a end user test bench kind of thing though.

anyways, i just watched that waterfall vape vid. i am going to go and hook my sv up to my gravity bong and give that a go! that looks like fun :ko: i can't believe i haven't tried that yet! sometime you can't see the forrest for the trees eh!

notmyrealUSERname,

Egzoset

Banned
Indeed. True lab-grade analysis would be fantastic; combined with the amateur qualitative test suggested above it might even happen to shead some light on aspects like vapor colour, etc! But we can only dream of reading about cannabis studies funded by our governments i'm afraid. I imagine all the sudden, the day this would happen... customer behaviour might cause many brands/models to disapear leaving few remaining majors fighting to stay on top.

Is this world of pioneers really ready for competition based on cruel merciless numbers? How would this shape the offer?

Hummm... By the way, did such gravity/waterfall bongs have some success with those who like chilly water when they first appeared? After all, these sorts of apparatus should fit nicely in a fridge!

:cool:

Egzoset,

vap999

"the starting point for systematic vaporizer comparisons" -- Seems like a pipe (i.e., vape) dream to me! I recall prior discussions largely concluding that there is so little known about vaporizer performance (physical parameters involved) and so many variables need to be measured or taken into account, that any "systematic" comparison is currently well beyond the state-of-the-art (with the current science, technology and engineering knowledge regarding vaporizers being outright primitive).

What do you plan to measure and how will you make meaningful comparisons between vaporizers?

Otherwise, the design looks like all it does is apply presumably a reproducible amount of negative air pressure (based on height of the water column) to fill a set air volume, but only within a limited range of suction and volume, and doesn't do anything else. If you want to draw/suck in a consistent volume and negative pressures (suction), why bother with water (it's not being used to cool or filter anything)? Why not just use a hand pump, even just a simple piston/cylinder sliding within a sealed tube; or a tire (bike or car) pump that can be switched from pressure to suction?

vap999,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi,

Those comments about the complexities of adequate measurement make it obvious that we don't agree on what "systematic" actually means in the present context. My initial proposition was based on a simple setup of which the only purpose consists in producing a series of comparable video recordings. Typical demo videos are plaggued with infinitely variable characteristics, making comparisons next to impossible. That's all i'm suggesting to improve! I'm not even sure we'd see a difference if the test conditions could be made systematically identical, every time, but my point is that it still has to be attempted.

:peace:

Egzoset,

vap999

Egzoset said:
Hi,

Those comments about the complexities of adequate measurement make it obvious that we don't agree on what "systematic" actually means in the present context. My initial proposition was based on a simple setup of which the only purpose consists in producing a series of comparable video recordings. Typical demo videos are plaggued with infinitely variable characteristics, making comparisons next to impossible. That's all i'm suggesting to improve! I'm not even sure we'd see a difference if the test conditions could be made systematically identical, every time, but my point is that it still has to be attempted.

Demo video use explains the context of your proposal much better. But you still should try to avoid having all that water around a vaporize test bed.

vap999,

Egzoset

Banned
This is all theoretical but i'm quite confident the contact surface between water and vapor wouldn't affect the final visual demontration, which is the purpose served by such demo videos i believe... Should water bubbling prove to be a real problem the solution is simple enough!

:2c:

Egzoset,
Top Bottom