Safety of herb bought online-contamination concern

spanner

Hi, I haven’t posted for some time but visit this forum and grass city to keep up with the latest developments .
I hope that you can provide some advice or at least steer me towards some science.
I recently purchased some weed for the first time online in the UK. The reviews were good so I took a chance and ordered a small quantity.
Product arrived no problem and looks and smells fine.
I have left it in a ceramic bowl for at least 9 days in a cupboard.
My question is- could the herb be contaminated and also how long could it survive on plant matter?
I am sure that vendors selling online are dodgy and that hygiene standards are unknown. I keep imagining someone sneezing, coughing or touching the bud and transmitting the CV.

Just to add that it arrived in an impressive smell proof sachet that had been sealed (may have been like this for some time).
I am trying to reduce combustion and have a couple of good vapes but I am concerned that I might inhale some contaminated weed.
I welcome opinions but would really appreciate facts. Cheers

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I think 9 days should be sufficient AND vape temp should kill whatever is on the product but unfortunately I'm guessing. If you could add placing the herb in an airtight container to starve it from oxygen during the 9 days it might help.

I had an online order delivered from a reputable dispensary. The product is tested and labeled. The two guys who delivered the order where masked and gloved. I saw them pull up and watched as they used something (hand sanitizer?) before putting on their gloves and masks. When they came through the door they remained at least 6 feet from me throughout the transaction. When they left I washed my hands and used sanitizing wipes to wipe things they (or someone else) may have touched like the bag handles everything came in, containers, door knobs, etc. Wiping the containers seemed over-kill to me since I knew I was going to set everything aside for a week or more but better safe than sorry. When I was done I washed my hands again. I did not change my cloths or shower right after. I reserve changing my cloths and showering when I come home for when I had to leave the house.

Not sure this is sufficient but I prefer that everything that comes through the door sits for 3 days minimum before touching/using it. This requires that I be proactive about ordering/getting things so that I have 3 days worth when it comes through the door.

Based on the above I think the weakest link in the chain is the inside of the container and what's inside the container. I believe the container is air-tight so ...I'm guessing the 3 day minimum before touching the contents will be sufficient.

Now that I've written it all down I think I could increase the efficacy of the approach by washing my hands after filling a bowl. I'm depending on the vape temp to kill anything on the product.

I have no idea if this is sufficient.

spanner

That is helpful, thank you for your reply. I’m hoping that ;as mine came in a sealed package ,it may have been in stock for a while. I think that I am going to leave it for a while longer or until I can find some science facts.
Like you, I have been careful thus far but who knows.
Very little information on the internet and a few piss takers on grass city.
I imagine that more people will be ordering online from legit sources but it seems that cannabis itself may not be a good thing to consume because of its effect on immune system and inflammatory cascade.
Thanks again

Baron23

I think 9 days should be sufficient AND vape temp should kill

I think its a bit more than vape temps should kill it. I believe that vape temps will definitely kill it.

Heat at 56°C kills the SARS coronavirus at around 10000 units per 15 min (quick reduction).

https://www.who.int/csr/sars/survival_2003_05_04/en/

Of course, tomorrow we will find out that it loves...absolutely loves...heat! haha

And, most of the speculation on how to sterilize for SARS-CoV is based on SARS from 2003 so there is that also.

But I can't imagine this stuff remaining viable on plant material which is then vaporized.

However, I'm just a layman and would def not advise anybody to take risks with their health on my word.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Isn't „dispensary weed“ mostly sterilized? I know that the medical weed that is imported from the U.S. to Germany to be sold in pharmacies is treated with either e-beam sterilization or gamma rays.

justcametomind

I have a similar concern with sealed food and I’m keeping it in a bag for 15 days, but it’s just me.
If CV is still able to survive on a human 15 days after he recovered, it hardly would survive for the same time on surfaces.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I have a similar concern with sealed food and I’m keeping it in a bag for 15 days, but it’s just me.
If CV is still able to survive on a human 15 days after he recovered, it hardly would survive for the same time on surfaces.

I think you meant...."Survive IN a human 15 days....." ? Maybe the way to say it is "How long someone who had the virus, but is no longer symptomatic, can still shed the virus".

Funny thing is...no matter how you say it there's so much contradictory information out there it's hard to know what's real. There's a March 12th NY Post article that implies the virus can survive 5 weeks in the body. The article is almost a month old and we learn more and more as time passes and the NY Post isn't on my trusted list.

Top Bottom