Safe Concentrates 101 - ALPHA EDITION

amberevil

hey i replied to this in our supurb QWET thread (thanks herbi!) in an effort not to derail this one. that reply can be found HERE.

I look forward to continuing this!

now back to this topic... @herbivore21 when you say things like "sap" do you mean an under purged shatter? do you mean that any oil consistency that is still sort of "wet" is a no go? i ask because there are a lot of oil products for sale that come in syringes. what is up with that stuff?

i have access to some such consistency right now that comes in a syringe and have tasted it. its amber/clear and comes out like a squeezable jelly. it tastes ok. kind of earthy. does not have any solvent flavor that i can detect. it is EXTREMELY potent and had me sweating (but i was hitting it hard).

thoughts?
Ive had co2 oil like that. It taste more hashy with the undertones of flowers. Ive seen it in syringes.

amberevil,
Reactions: 2clicker

2clicker

Observer
Ive had co2 oil like that. It taste more hashy with the undertones of flowers. Ive seen it in syringes.

i can still get this 2g (or ml...?) for $100

like i said its very potent, but i do not know the extraction process or anything.

2clicker,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
I have seen both CO2 and RSO sold like that. Normally a syrupy consistency oil (fully purged of course) indicates a decarb'd concentrate IME.

Puffers,
Reactions: DieHard

herbivore21

Ok, holy jeezus do I have some responding to do here lol. I am sorry that I started this thread and then didn't get back for ages lol.

First of all, I wanted to stop by and share my maturing views on colour of concentrates.

You guys all know that I've cut my teeth with concentrates predominately using THC bomb. I am familiar enough with the strain to have seen various phenos (more lemon tasting stuff, more diesel tasting stuff etc) as well as material of different maturity.

As some of you might know, I've been pioneering a one-wash complete extraction tech for some time now.

I have found one way to do this, and am working on refining the speed of this process so that no compromises are made.

In my experiments, I have made the extract artist equivalent of my Mona Lisa, an extract of THC bomb that tastes EXACTLY like the plant.

The material in question is an absolute shatter, so hard that I cannot even squash down a large thick chunk between oil slicks with warm hands to thin out the piece. It is like quartz, rock hard shatter!

However, curiously in this, in my experience the most accurate representation of the starting material's flavour/effects without plant material/chlorophyll - I have also found that it is dark, completely see-through, but dark.

Perhaps a warning not to judge our concentrates so much on the colour. IME, I can comfortably say that lighter is not necessarily better when it comes to concentrates. I find the most faithful extractions of some strains can indeed be very dark shatters.

Still, when you squash out a reasonably thin slab, it should be see-through.

Summary: Dark is not necessarily a problem - opaque even in thin slabs is.

I'll be back with more responses soon :)

OldOyler

Fire it again. I can still find the ground.
Ok, holy jeezus do I have some responding to do here lol. I am sorry that I started this thread and then didn't get back for ages lol.

First of all, I wanted to stop by and share my maturing views on colour of concentrates...Perhaps a warning not to judge our concentrates so much on the colour. IME, I can comfortably say that lighter is not necessarily better when it comes to concentrates...Summary: Dark is not necessarily a problem - opaque even in thin slabs is.
:)
@herbivore21 ,

I have found this to be strangely true myself. I feel better seeing someone else say it though!

I used to think dark meant more impurities (I think it *did* mean that when I first started making it). Now it's dark, but golden if thin enough to see through (like in a stainless steel container on the bottom).

As some of you might know, I've been pioneering a one-wash complete extraction tech for some time now.

I have found one way to do this, and am working on refining the speed of this process so that no compromises are made.

Please, I would love to hear this when you feel comfortable posting it. I am looking at something similar, but not to completion (just to the point it is ready to be "finished" with a decarb since I am using sublingual cannabis oil, so I would love to see a "to completion" process!).

Peace and thanks!

OldOyler,
Reactions: 2clicker

Monsoon

However, curiously in this, in my experience the most accurate representation of the starting material's flavour/effects without plant material/chlorophyll - I have also found that it is dark, completely see-through, but dark.

Perhaps a warning not to judge our concentrates so much on the colour. IME, I can comfortably say that lighter is not necessarily better when it comes to concentrates. I find the most faithful extractions of some strains can indeed be very dark shatters.

Still, when you squash out a reasonably thin slab, it should be see-through.

Summary: Dark is not necessarily a problem - opaque even in thin slabs is.

I believe that has to do with a combination of age, moisture content, and how much it's decarbed. Might be strain specific too, not sure.

Please, I would love to hear this when you feel comfortable posting it. I am looking at something similar, but not to completion (just to the point it is ready to be "finished" with a decarb since I am using sublingual cannabis oil, so I would love to see a "to completion" process!).

Check the link in my signature for my process, should work with ethanol too. I suggest using it as a guide and adapting it to what you have available. If you're decarbing it at say 252F for 25 minutes, I believe that with fully purge it (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you can scrape right after it's evaporated and then decarb it right after.

Last edited:
Monsoon,
Top Bottom