1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Rotovaps for QWET/QWISO?

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by herbivore21, Apr 2, 2014.

1. herbivore21

herbivore21 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever used a rotary evaporator to make their hash oil? I am seriously considering looking into the legality of owning one and if it is legal, getting one. The machines, regularly used in science labs are made to evaporate solvents to recover anything in the solution and then recondense the solvent vapors into liquid form.

For those playing from home, your iso, or better yet, ethanol (which is taxed like you were drinking it in most parts of the world) will now become almost everlasting! Even better, your hash making becomes significantly more automated, and safer too!

They are serious lab equipment, the cheapest I have seen one able to be procured for would be around $500 on ebay, with new ones fetching $1000-$5000 quite easily.

However, I'd love to hear from anyone with experience as to how it goes for our particular application?

2. vap999

vap999 Well-Known Member

I thought rotary evaporators were most or best used in a herbal context for fractional distillation separation/purification of similar vaporizing temperature range liquids, such as essential oils, similar to petrochemicals (oil refining). Here, I'm referring to purifying already rather pure oils to molecular components, ideally without any solvents present. Rather, the essential oil is boiled and vapor fractions that tend to condense at different temperatures or rise to different heights in a column are collected and condensed. Rotary evaporators are high volume/mass, high efficiency, controlled-temperature vapor generators with research and manufacturing uses far beyond solvent cleaning and recycling.

Isn't this a classic method for separating/purifying such things as complex terpenoid mixtures, before modern chromatography? How would a company (where fully legal) take solvent extracted oil (ethanol, butane, ether, whatever) and then further purify desired single isomers at any decent manufacturing scale? Isn't this, separation of very similar structure organics, the primary use for rotary evaporator?

3. herbivore21

herbivore21 Well-Known Member

I have read about it being used in chromatography. All the technology and hardware used to make concentrates are very new to me, I very much live in the dark continent when it comes to all things green! You can't even buy concentrates here from dealers generally speaking. Herb is usually shocking quality, not cured, barely even dried, picked prematurely, completely squashed trichomes, very little smell. It is a pretty sorry state of affairs, hence my newfound interest in oils. Am I right to imagine that oils made with a rotovap would leave much less margin for error in the removal of solvents?

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors