Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Down the rabbit hole we go, should have just put up with the hair straightener while saving for a Dabpress.:myday:

I hear what your saying @LesPlenty, i dont intend to spend anymore money on the DIY route. (Except for a piece of pipe for a few £).

To explain my situation, my other half takes a blind eye to my little hobby, kinda like a unspoken rule. I dont think a huge press would go down well. The DIY option is good as it breaks down and the parts can be easily stored away. However after some squishes i am seeing the attraction toward a prebrought press, especailly with yields. I also wanted to try rosin first as i have a sensitive chest. However it seems to be kinder to my chest than other concentrates so far.

This is not all money down the drain. I wanted a new vice anyway for diy projects, and the snail can also be used as a pre-press.

Been looking at compact presses (maybe a rosin tech go?) But not sure how much of an upgrade it would be. Other suggestions welcome!

shredder

Other suggestions welcome!

I know friends that split the cost of a press. One lives in a small apartment, the other in a house with a garage that they keep the press in. Do you have a rosin buddy?

It's not like you need to use a press daily. Some of the smaller ones could probably fit in a tote box, and stashed away until your ready to use it.

A lot of us started small, but few of us stayed satisfied very long.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
can also be used as a pre-press.
I like your thinking, I got the Dabpess HR10t35v telling myself I can use the press for other jobs (unlikely).

But the Irwin clamp is best for holding a piece of wood, useless on the prepress, for me anyway, I would have liked your vice as prepress yesterday as I pressed a single 40mm puck with 15.4g of bud(bottom of a jar) instead of my usual 10g.
I got the 15g puck between the jaws of my press with much cursing for lube. (the 'book' says if I want to do more than 14g I should do 2x pucks at once up to 28g at a time) :tup:

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
@oddjobold If you're looking for a small, spacing saving press, pretty much any of the Dabpress products are nice and portable but the dp-hr10t35 (their 10 ton mini press), especially, is minuscule. It's probably as small, if not smaller than that vice -- but it does require an external pump, which theoretically can be stowed away as well. It's not their cheapest option... in fact it's probably the most expensive hydraulic press they have (which is still a fantastic value)... but I have to say I was blown away by the size and craftsmanship. I was writing up something for the Dabpress thread about it, but I'm waiting for my BVA pump to arrive. Think it should be here tomorrow. I don't know what your budget or rosin-pressing needs are, but a 10 ton press with that form factor is amazeballs. :2c:

The 6-ton @invertedisdead mentioned is a great, all-in-one press as well and probably meets the needs of most home-pressers.

miguelovic

@oddjobold

If you run the plates and vise again, try reducing the surface area. I cut off both ends to shorten it up to the heater and a bit off the sides to narrow it out. Greatly increased applied pressure and even out the heat (hot/cold spots were an issue).

miguelovic,
Reactions: shredder

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
It's October I know we got some folks with new material in hand or soon to be, what's coming down the pike rosineers? I have some cheese, orange hill special, bruge banger and the church. The church is amazing, really surprised me, dime sized nugs are almost half a gram, coated in trichomes!

The Church

Orange hill special

Cheese 6.5g top!

Bruce Banger

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It's October I know we got some folks with new material in hand or soon to be, what's coming down the pike rosineers? I have some cheese, orange hill special, bruge banger and the church. The church is amazing, really surprised me, dime sized nugs are almost half a gram, coated in trichomes!

The Church

Orange hill special

Cheese 6.5g top!

Bruce Banger

Very nice harvest my dear friend!!

Looks like some tasties in there :drool:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Very nice harvest my dear friend!!

Looks like some tasties in there :drool:

Thank you friend! :cheers: The cheese is a mercene and beta-caryophyllene monster, probably the most flavorful of the bunch. I made up some really fresh hash too the 73u bag collected some super sticky heads I cant wait to press out, never really pressed any good hash before :shrug:

Baron23

The Church

Orange hill special

Cheese 6.5g top!

Bruce Banger

I have been squishing Birthday Cake from Grassroots....really nice bud....and getting a consistent 25-26% which is outstanding as I often get mid teens at best.

IME, its all down to the source material. This stuff just gives it up.

Also, I have been working my way down, in sequential squishes with this bud, in temperature and also pressure. I have a 20 ton BVA hydro system and its really easy, if not squishing large amounts with a lot of surface area on the plates, to over press and drive rosin into the parchment.

Lately, I have made a burrito fold envelope out of Slick Sheet with an inner liner of parchment (slick sheet is just too slick for bare nug squishing, IMO) and it seems to be working out. That and much less pressure.

pics of the bud in question

Bday-Cake-4.jpg

Bday-Cake-3.jpg

Bday-Cake-4.jpg

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Nice harvest @Baron23 !

I have some recently harvested San Fernando Valley Kush, Gorilla Glue,Kraken, Gelato, Douce nuit, Papaya and Citron givré. The Kush is very, very powerfull, the Gelato wasn't tested but looks so "frosty", the Douce nuit is specialy tasty, Gorilla glue is... Gorilla Glue, Citron givré looks awesome but doesn't seems to taste/smell lemon (although it's curing and not tested for now). Kraken and Papaya looks nice too but maybe less interesting than the rest.
I have 2 plants of a strain called K8 which produced together less than 20g of flowers... I think this strain was designed for indoor, still not tested too.

After I have some hybrid I created myself:

- Big Footxlocal strain: big nugs, long branches, 3 meters!, earthy/lemon, not tested
- Big Budxlocal strain: very big flowers, thick white hairs with a big bottom, airy buds, lemon/fruity taste
- Kushxlocal strain: lot of thick flowers all over the branches but not very big, up of 3 meters, lot of trimming (not finished) but yield will be massive, kush profile taste (I think)

And a landrace Senegalese sativa which I grow since 20 years and I appreciate to vape for active day or to press for a high terp content rosin.

Will plan to process some rosin with my Deuce but I have so much trims to deal with! Never made water hash but I'm thinking about that to be able to press it after.

It will be fun!

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Eh, I'm not so sure on the "real" press thing although I'm not doubting that things have advanced in this field. I really think it is down to strain and moisture content. I have read so much through the years of rosin press that I have come to the conclusion that there is a pressure and temperature threshold that going beyond yields no more no matter what. I have also seen that when peeps try to increase surface area (size of the plates) yields no more than smaller plate setups. Again, I may be behind the time on this, just reporting my observations and conclusions. I have a DIY press that typically yields 17-20% and if I get a good strain, 22-30%. But since I am in a medical only state, it is difficult to get great strains for pressing as I do not have the MD pass yet so I can't be as selective as some of the others here. Last batch I got pressed to only 15-17%, which is way below my average and has made it to where I have to acquire on a shorter schedule than normal. It was great when I lived in SoCal, especially when I lived by myself and had a 3 stage growing op in my one bedroom apartment that produced the best I have ever had. Alas, hopefully someday I can do that again....

CrazyDiamond,
Reactions: LesPlenty

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
While I agree there is a point of lessening returns with regards to using over excessive pressure, your logic is flawed.

In real world testing, given you and I are using identical product, at the same humidity and if each of us had the same amount to press, my end product would be incomparably Superior to yours with regards to flavor, color, yield and my ability to achieve repeatable consistent results versus your torch powered deuce.

I've spent a lot of time with the duece. It's a great unit, but don't fool yourself into thinking that a duece can play on the same level. It is Superior to a hair press, but does not stand toe to toe with any presses. Duece is a great option to introduce to rosining, imo it is not for someone who is looking to dial in the absolute best out of each press.

I'm not sure where you learned of any correlation between larger plates and surface area to increase yield? That is grossly incorrect. Most of the more successful rosineers prepress and are not trying to maximize surface area. Larger plates only allow one to press more material in a single sitting, larger plates do not increase yield.

Ask as many questions as you can think of and keep on pressing, experience is the ultimate education.

Last edited:

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
I'm not sure where you learned of any correlation between larger plates and surface area to increase yield? That is grossly incorrect. Most of the more successful rosineers prepress and are not trying to maximize surface area. Larger plates only allow one to press more material in a single sitting, larger plates do not increase yield.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say as well. IF all other conditions are the same, the return rate won't change, it's more of a matter of fitting more material into one pressing. Getting consistent results is the other half of that equation, which encompasses more than just yield.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I'm going off of what I have experienced and witnessed. And I don't know what is meant by "your torch powered deuce"...my setup is home made and very old school and gets me the results I desire. I measure temperature between every pressing so the temp stays where I want it. Also, one of my first statements...I'm not doubting that things have advanced in this field...

CrazyDiamond,

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
It probably has been asked and done before:
Has someone tried pressing freeze dried flower into rosin?
Does it work? Pros, cons?
Could someone point me in the right direction, please?
I might try to freeze dry some buds McGyver style next time I come across some fresh plants.:nod:

Sick Vape,
Reactions: shredder

jracerx

I have been pressing now for just over a year with a Dabpress BJ6T.

No matter what I have tried I can only get decent yields at 5gram or less.
Any squish over that will always yield a lower % return.

I press flower without a bag using a cylinder pre-press.

Any tips?

Yeah.... press 5 grams or less. LMAO Just Kidding. I couldn't resist.

I have used the larger 3x5 with a 12 ton and I currently use a 3 ton all in one and I love it. 3x3 is a little small for large presses but, like you, I found a sweet spot. Mine is 2 gram pucks. 3 grams give me about the same but 4 grams and over seems to diminish return.

To be honest, I believe it's because of a 'style' or 'technique' that we have that makes our yields higher or lower at certain size loads (and temperature differences as well).

I'm manic and a little impatient so I press a little higher temp and faster than some. Larger loads take more patience. LOL In short, use what works for you and don't try to make what works for others absolutely work for you.

It has a lot to do with strains and moisture but if you are getting 12% to 20% yields from flower, you're right in line.

Top Bottom