Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Could you explain more about your comments about if 220F is too hot?

And too much pressure? Because of blowouts?

I'm just curious as to your reasoning.

I don't think I've ever pressed that hot with my current set up. At least for a first press. But with more pressure (20T) I don't think you need as much heat.

On some varieties I go as low as 180F. Pressing at that temp sometimes makes for a stiffer rosin on sappy varieties.

And I do use a lot of pressure. As long as I'm not blowing out bags I feel I'm good.

What I found was depending on the material used, 220F was just the right temperature to press a variety to get the oil to flow versus instabuddering. In fact I may even try 230F on that strain to see if it yields more.

For pressure it's the blowouts and also pressing out plant matter, there is an effective range of pressure that's good for yields and quality. I seen posts on other social media and they state 8 tons force used on 3.5g buds. I imagine they had about 5k PSI on the bag. The picture showed a sad state of affairs, looks like the puck has decomposed and the paper is ripped all around the puck.

When I talk about pressure I'm not talking about total force, it's about the PSI, so while you may be using a lot of total force on a larger puck, someone with a 3t press and a nickle size puck can really deliver some paper ripping pressure!

shredder

What I found was depending on the material used, 220F was just the right temperature to press a variety to get the oil to flow versus instabuddering. In fact I may even try 230F on that strain to see if it yields more.

For pressure it's the blowouts and also pressing out plant matter, there is an effective range of pressure that's good for yields and quality. I seen posts on other social media and they state 8 tons force used on 3.5g buds. I imagine they had about 5k PSI on the bag. The picture showed a sad state of affairs, looks like the puck has decomposed and the paper is ripped all around the puck.

When I talk about pressure I'm not talking about total force, it's about the PSI, so while you may be using a lot of total force on a larger puck, someone with a 3t press and a nickle size puck can really deliver some paper ripping pressure!

I've never seen instabuddering, at least yet. I don't mind buddering in my rosin if it happens, in fact I think it's easier to handle. I just didn't know your reasoning.

I know you can yield more with higher temps, but I also think you retain more terpenes at lower temps. Buddering buttering might just help retain terpenes as well. I know when rosin gets old at room temps it unbutters, becomes clearer and sappier, and has less terpenes. That's why I freeze mine and don't keep a lot out anymore.

I've been at this about the same amount of time as you, but I'm still learning something every time I press. And it's interesting to get another's prespective.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Pressing shake, ground up buds or dirty kief is a poor choice of starting material.
I have been saving up my grinder kief for when I get my Dabpress, so I shouldn't bother? Just vape it now instead?
So, straight buds with as little stem as possible (without grinding) is the best material for pressing? (I hope so as I have quite a few mason jars at 62% RH waiting for a press)
:uhh:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I have been saving up my grinder kief for when I get my Dabpress, so I shouldn't bother? Just vape it now instead?
So, straight buds with as little stem as possible (without grinding) is the best material for pressing? (I hope so as I have quite a few mason jars at 62% RH waiting for a press)

You can try and clean it up with screens but the more green in it, the less productive it is to press out and a lot can get stuck melted into the plant matter.

I like to use roughly 0.25-0.5g pieces, big stems removed, I've pressed with stems it just affects yields as far as I know as they take up weight and have no yield. They can also cause blowouts but never had that happen with prepressed pucks, just hand stuffed.

I found the best use for my dirty sift is in the vapcap, insanely effecient. I thought about dusting some buds before putting in the prepress. That's an upcoming experiment, Im just waiting on the 6 week mark in the jars.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
My Space Case grinder kief ranges from white to yellow, never any green, I was going to use the 37-micron bag when/if I now bother.:tup:

Why not give it a try and see what happens.

How clean your rosin comes out probably matters more to some vs others. I guess it would matter a lot if you like to dab your rosin on an enail where impurities make a mess. I don't actually dab my rosin, but wrap it in cotton through my usual herb vaporizers. Whether there are bits and pieces in it doesn't bother me. I think I like using a micron bag when I make a puck because I get a better yield, otherwise I wouldn't bother for just the cleaner press.

I have also been pressing at 220F by default now, solely because I am cheap and prefer the higher yield.

shredder

Have you tried moon rocks? When you get your press, you can gently warm some rosin up to coat buds with, then cover the sticky buds with kief. Moon rocks. Then, well you know, lol.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
you like to dab your rosin on an enail
Yes I have just started down the e-nail route, Ti and quartz (Sic Halo one day) and is the main reason I am getting a press, a dab is like a good ol punch in the face hit that I quite like, just vaping concentrates at low temps is more than OK but I like the Blam of a dab. :evil:
Counting down the weeks to the full kit availability from Dabpress:wave::clap:

Edit; @shredder Then, well you know, lol. ...no what, eat them!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Because flower rosin has a decent bit of fats waxes and such it's best dabbed at lower temps. No cooking those fats onto the nail, they stay fluid and easily swabbed up with a dry qtip then, depending on your nail material, like on my SiC halo, I can do a wet swab after the dry swab to steam clean the nail. Damn thing stays clean forever, if it weren't for the sidewalls getting dirty I'd never need to do a deep clean.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
That is a bit disheartening...I was hoping for something special, not a disappointment, I might do a small puck after I get to grips with pressing bud...soon:clap:
I always buy KIEF for $5.00/gram & use it as a mixer?
It work’s 4-me!

I use CANNABIS 4-medical reason’s so maybe my comment’s are not valid?

Recreational is a DREAM!

ROSIN is like a straight shot of LIQUOR!
All daze 4-me?
ROSIN is amazing 4 medical need’s?

shredder

That is a bit disheartening...I was hoping for something special, not a disappointment, I might do a small puck after I get to grips with pressing bud...soon:clap:

I've had good luck pressing kief in 25-20 micron bags. I fill the bag about half and fold over the bag top. I use about 180F and not much pressure.

I've also pressed kief and dirty rosin (rosin with plant material and it) in double layered coffee filters. The coffee filters do soak up some rosin tho.

Again, fine mesh, low heat, low pressure ftw.

buckhakeesah

I've had good luck pressing kief in 25-20 micron bags. I fill the bag about half and fold over the bag top. I use about 180F and not much pressure.

I've also pressed kief and dirty rosin (rosin with plant material and it) in double layered coffee filters. The coffee filters do soak up some rosin tho.

Again, fine mesh, low heat, low pressure ftw.
@shredder , do you have any advice you can share on where I should go about getting the best bang for the buck micron bags? You can pm me about if you'd like.

shredder

@shredder , do you have any advice you can share on where I should go about getting the best bang for the buck micron bags? You can pm me about if you'd like.

I'm not sure about " bang for the buck" but I've bought bags from Amazon, low temp plates, but most of mine come from Arizona press.

I like Arizona presses size selections, their bags seams, and fact of their bags come with the seams on the inside.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I get the best yields using the bags with bottle tech for pressing flower. The only thing is how to get the residual medicine out, because I am very cheap. Now I do fold the bag in half once for a second press and have gotten another .05g or so, but then I throw it away after that. With plain puck chips I save them to soak in ethanol. I haven't done this yet and have saved up a number of chips.

I am worried about soaking the nylon mesh bags in alcohol to collect leftovers, because it just doesn't sound like a good idea.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I get the best yields using the bags with bottle tech for pressing flower. The only thing is how to get the residual medicine out, because I am very cheap. Now I do fold the bag in half once for a second press and have gotten another .05g or so, but then I throw it away after that. With plain puck chips I save them to soak in ethanol. I haven't done this yet and have saved up a number of chips.

I am worried about soaking the nylon mesh bags in alcohol to collect leftovers, because it just doesn't sound like a good idea.
LEMON HAZE ROSIN improves the way you complete your daze?

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I know I haven't been around for a while, but the blowouts I see on this page has me scratching my head...are y'all that have the blowouts doubling the pressing medium? What I mean is that in my tiny press, I have a sheet pf parchment with flower surrounded by a doubled up piece of parchment, I've never had a blowout using that method. Now if it's the big presses with shite-tons of force than I can definitely understand blowouts on those scales! I still press small since it's just for me and it doesn't take me long.

shredder

Quality wise, are they all pretty decent or are there brands that are significant better than others?

Some are better than others. I have a 2x4 pre press, so I use 2x4.5 bags and fold over the extra material. Not everyone carries that size.

I found bags not sized as advertised (,low temp plates) and bad seams (Amazon).

The bigger mesh bags are nylon (I think) but the smaller mesh bags are like silk. So there are material differences.

I use 160 mesh mostly. And 25 micron mesh for kief and I repress dirty rosin in them.

In a session I might press 5-6 ounces at a time. On the second press, I up the temps ten or fifteen degrees and fold the puck in half.

On the second press I may get a little plant material in the rosin. If that happens rather than pick out every tiny piece, like I used to, I use a fine mesh bag and resqueeze the dirty rosin, using low temps and light pressure.

Top Bottom