Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Interresting, grew out some cannatonic last year, and i saw the same VERY low yield,(7-10%)
However that rosin was some of the more special imo,
Sure it has some cbd in there so its not a knock out,
But if grown organic, no sprays etc... So tasty......

“Always keep in mind the Golden Rule of hashish-making: the best is never the most!”- Robert Connell Clarke

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
“Always keep in mind the Golden Rule of hashish-making: the best is never the most!”- Robert Connell Clarke

Its really true, some of these strains have killer resin just not a whole lot of it =/ I had some sage and sour that I'd consider a low yielder (15% max), but wow, S.A.G.E x Sour Diesel is absolutely amazing medicine.

shredder

Interresting, grew out some cannatonic last year, and i saw the same VERY low yield,(7-10%)
However that rosin was some of the more special imo,
Sure it has some cbd in there so its not a knock out,
But if grown organic, no sprays etc... So tasty......

I think it's special too. That's why I grow it.

In fact today knowing that I had a full day of clearing snow, cause we got hammered, I did a small dab of cannatonic before I started. I lasted longer in <10F working my butt off than if I did not do the dab. And when I finished another dab helps with recovery. It also helps me focus when doing complicated tasks. I love thc but not when I have to use the orb balanced on my shoulders.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I've grown and squeezed gorilla glue for at least two years. I squeezed it maybe 6 times over that time. I squeeze both early and well cured. Gorilla glue has always been oily. It's always been a pain to collect.

My best collection method to date is to keep the parchment paper in the freezer for a few days. It eventually gets a little stiffer, but still not fun to collect. It seems wasteful because the paper stays stained with oil, but it actually yields pretty decent.

I have squeezed others than were oily early but not later, but not gorilla glue. Having said all that it's a pretty potent rosin and has a unique taste that some (me) like, so I keep squeezing it.
Thanks for mentioning this. I grew GG to press into rosin, and it's oily and tricky to collect. Last night, I set the parchment paper on an ice pack to make it easier. I'll try pressing Chem Dawg next to see if it's easier to collect. The G.G. is fantastic, and I slept well and woke refreshed, but you do have to get it off the paper somehow.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
IDK what's up with the varying opinions out there, people say pressing at 200F is too hot! Really? Maybe I missed a class in school :uhoh:

Orange hill special, 3.5g pre-pressed in 30mm cylinder mold, 160u rosin filter, 1k PSI @ 200F for 90s. I swear that's almost too low of a temp for these nugs as this was buddering up on the plates. 3.5 months cured bud, seems to be only ever so slightly more golden than previous efforts. This should be 100% buddered up before the nights over.

This stuff is the shit :love:

e96lwn.jpg

23mlwg5.jpg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
people say pressing at 200F is too hot! Really?

I pressed some Jungle Cake at 250F a while back and scraped up one last dab like a week ago, had more flavor than most stuff. It was one of those strains that was autobuddering on the press and blocking my directional flow at my normal temps; but at 250F it instantly liquefied and ran off the plates, very short contact time. Haven't pressed anything since but I want to try more of those.

Every once in a while if I have super nice green I'll press some cream at like 180/185F but otherwise 200-220 is my go to for flower. I was reading some posts on IG today from a fairly well know n hash rosin processor (40k followers) and they are pressing hash at 180-200F.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I pressed some Jungle Cake at 250F a while back and scraped up one last dab like a week ago, had more flavor than most stuff. It was one of those strains that was autobuddering on the press and blocking my directional flow at my normal temps; but at 250F it instantly liquefied and ran off the plates, very short contact time. Haven't pressed anything since but I want to try more of those.

Every once in a while if I have super nice green I'll press some cream at like 180/185F but otherwise 200-220 is my go to for flower. I was reading some posts on IG today from a fairly well know n hash rosin processor (40k followers) and they are pressing hash at 180-200F.

Thats very good to know, I've not actually gone above 220F in quite a while. I thought about pressing this stuff at 220F to get a lil more return. You can see that flow on the right size of the paper buddered right there and blocked the flow. The bubbles were just crystallizing and didnt burst until the very end.

I've had people tell me everything from 145-350F for pressing flowers. Just seems like a wild range of opinions. Seems like those ultra high temp presses would be a disaster!

The one thing that worries me on the really buddered up stuff is if it turns to crumble, that seems to zap the terpenes away faster than a more moist rosin.

anda1anda2

directional folds...yay or nay? I don’t see a lot of people bothering in the videos I have watched.

Also, just a stoned thought, but could a nylon bag be made from sowing together 2 pieces of different micron to encourage the flow of rosin in one direction? Not that I am that handy.

MegaMan2k

IDK what's up with the varying opinions out there, people say pressing at 200F is too hot! Really?

Its as much opinion as how you like your hash or how mature you want your resin glands before harvest,
Some people are even terp sensitive and will opt for less terpy hash, easy fix would be pressing at higher temps.
And also i think alot of people are using shitty herb for rosin that is low on terps in the first place,

shredder

Its as much opinion as how you like your hash or how mature you want your resin glands before harvest,
Some people are even terp sensitive and will opt for less terpy hash, easy fix would be pressing at higher temps.
And also i think alot of people are using shitty herb for rosin that is low on terps in the first place,

The age or maturity of the buds is something most of us don't consider in these discussions. Thanks for bringing it up.

I think it has to make a difference, just like the moisture level in the buds. Its no scret better buds equal better rosin, we know that, but theres a lot we dont know, at least i dont, lol.

Your not going to get clear rosin from mature amber trics. And I'm guessing there is a relationship between terpene levels and bud maturity as well. 3 month old buds generally make darker stiffer rosi that doesn't butter easy.

Does the terpene peak coincide with the changing of the trics from clear to milky, or from milky to amber, or completely amber? Not to be confused with how soon you press after harvest, this is more at what maturity the buds were harvested. I'm thinking the peak terpenes come earlier rather than later. But idk.

JCat

Accessory Maker
What I’ve found, is that I tend to stay in the 195-205 mark strain dependant.

The main diffference between 185 to 210 I’ve seen is in consistency ... I’ve found terpene content (right after press) to be similar. I’ve also found yields to be similar (within a percent or so)

The main difference I’ve found is end result consistency and the temperature I will use will vary with strain. (Starting low and working my way up)

I have some chocolope that produces amazing stable rosin at 195 (pull-snap to start, and softens just a bit after a number of days but doesn’t really budder. It’s perfect. Amazing terpenes that persist for weeks.

I have some gorilla glue that turns to a wax but not crumble within a day and stays stable that way with consistent terpene content.

I have some sour diesel on the other hand that crumbles almost immediately at 195. (Or 185). I’ll be trying 200 or 205 next ... it’s amazing but do find some terpene loss and it’s a bit of a pain to work with this way.

The sour diesel and gorilla glue both produce approx 25% and the chocolope produces about 17-18%

Last edited:
I don't believe I have ever pressed under 200 other than a couple test runs. Usually use 220. Tried 190 once and got less than 5% return. Seems odd when I see posts at temps under 190 and still getting high yields.

Hackerman,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

shredder

I think even that 'best moment to press' is strain dependant...

Older materiaal definately leads to darker rosin.

Some strains will spit out darker rosin no matter what.

My two cents

Not only strain dependent, but probably room dependent. Maybe even nutrient dependent. I firmly believe i i get more terps when I add sulfur to the grow. It gets complicated, lol.

Heat and time matters in color too. Look at second presses for evidence.

I don't believe I have ever pressed under 200 other than a couple test runs. Usually use 220. Tried 190 once and got less than 5% return. Seems odd when I see posts at temps under 190 and still getting high yields.

I ussually stay between 190-200 for the first press and 210-220 for the second. But I have pressed hash at 180, and I sometimes clean up dirty rosin by rebagging it in a fine mesh bag and repressing at 180. In general I press fresh at 190 and mature cured buds at 200, but there are exceptions.

I press 2 min at 170-180 for my first press, not at all concerned about yield. First press is for flavoring in my distillate carts 20/80. Second press is for the yield, 3 min at 220. Usually get 2/3 of my yield in the 1st press. I do not press anything under 19% and I rarely get to press over 25%. That's my background.

I ran across some Mexican Dirt Weed the other day, I have not seen the likes of that crappy stuff in over 10 years. I was able to snag up a couple zips for practically nothing. It was in the middle of a second press session, that I remembered the Mexican stash. Seeds and all were pressed at 220-230. I was floored, the most Blond rosin that I have personally ever pressed came oozing out. On top of that it had an 8% return.
Still had that putrid smell. But who would of thought Mexican crap would press blond, and at 220 (not me).

JCat

Accessory Maker
I press 2 min at 170-180 for my first press, not at all concerned about yield. First press is for flavoring in my distillate carts 20/80. Second press is for the yield, 3 min at 220. Usually get 2/3 of my yield in the 1st press. I do not press anything under 19% and I rarely get to press over 25%. That's my background.

I ran across some Mexican Dirt Weed the other day, I have not seen the likes of that crappy stuff in over 10 years. I was able to snag up a couple zips for practically nothing. It was in the middle of a second press session, that I remembered the Mexican stash. Seeds and all were pressed at 220-230. I was floored, the most Blond rosin that I have personally ever pressed came oozing out. On top of that it had an 8% return.
Still had that putrid smell. But who would of thought Mexican crap would press blond, and at 220 (not me).
Yes, but you can't fix the flavour/smell of bad weed by pressing it ... at least this is what I have found. If it's shit going in, it's shit coming out, even it it looks ok, and yield is ok. I've gotten presses of ~25% off weed I thought smelled like hay, and it was nice and blond, but I still gave away all the rosin as it tasted and smelled like hay and IMHO (because I'm picky), was absolutely not usable ... :lol:

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Does anyone have any advise for avoiding blow outs. Im pressing hash, I mess with it so its like a piece of flat chewing gum and then wrap it up in either a unbleached coffee filter or a micro bag. Either way it seems like im doing well until the very end I can feel it pop and all the material ends up coming out one of the corners.

Am i using too much pressure and maybe 2 fast? I dont know what else i can think of. Any help greatly appreciated

Have you tried decarbing your rosin before vaping?
Doesnt the process of making the rosin already decarb it?

Also I saw people taking about rosin pens ive had some success two different ways. 1 i let the jar sit for a long time until a terp layer forms in the jar and then i seperate and use the terp layer to fill the cartridges and keep the rest for dabbing... Another way is you can jar up your hash rosin with a lid on it and put it in a hot water bath. The rosin will start to crystalize and then after a little while it will turn into a runny distillate consistancy and stays that way pretty much forever and thats perfect for cartridges. I didnt notice any terpene loss either from that second method

Last edited:
Top Bottom