Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
If you see low yield from a test press as u mention would u then rather not press it and just vape it in its herbal form?

Yes, given that i use the Showerhead/Flowerpot Newvape Combo which is an hell of an extractor flower wise i only squish if i have a good yielding strain that is nice to collect ( i hate sappy strains and yes i know ice bags :D )

If u didnt squish in bags you can still grind the pucks and vape them, work´s but the taste isnt the best anymore or make edibles out of it :)

gunmetalshark,

MegaMan2k

Yes, given that i use the Showerhead/Flowerpot Newvape Combo which is an hell of an extractor flower wise i only squish if i have a good yielding strain that is nice to collect ( i hate sappy strains and yes i know ice bags :D )

If u didnt squish in bags you can still grind the pucks and vape them, work´s but the taste isnt the best anymore or make edibles out of it :)

I think i will be doing this next time i get something a little less frosty, since i do own a vape

i get the whole "u might aswell press and dab it since it will get it all out"
but still feel there is something to be said for vaping it in herbal form when its a low yielder like this

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You ever have one ounce take up a bag, but then another ounce fills up two whole bags? I think that's kinda what happens, same weight but less trichome coverage/density.

I think the plant material to resin ratio tends to be lower on fluffy nugs. My pre press pucks with the fluffy stuff can be twice as thick as a denser nugget.

Some stuff is just better to vaporize as is, but some of those low yielders make great rosin!

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I love coming to this thread and seeing the beautiful pictures. I've played around a few times with a hair iron I picked up that has a low enough starting temp, and my lady found parchment pickers. They're big, but I find it easy to work with.
I will experiment with turning it on and applying pressure before it's warmed up all the way. I stand on the mother lol

Anyway, mine doesn't turn out beastly like y'all get yours. I think maybe my temp is still just a little too warm, but I haven't tried it in a while.

viktorpan

I used to decarb my rosin in the oven. 240F for 40 minutes, which was longer than needed (I found later).

Now, I decarb all my rosin in a beaker on my hotplate. About 250F and I just heat it and watch the bubbles. When the bubble just about stop, the decarb is done. For small quantities like a gram, it is all done in about 5 to 7 minutes.

Hey Hackerman,

5 minutes seems quick for a rosin decarb, but it makes sense really, the reaction shouldnt take that long when under that much heat right?! I decarbed my rosin at around 100-110c for an hour also on a hot plate stirrer in a beaker, and after about 20-25 minutes the bubbles stopped and the rosin turned dark amber, I thought it was finished so I stopped it. I didnt dilute it with a fat in the end. Thing is I took it and it doesn't get me that high, I'm wondering have I over-decarbed it or actually degraded THC?

viktorpan,
Reactions: JCat

mixchu69

I went to a local dispensary that has a rosin machine. I really liked the plates, they were rectangular, but the width was tight. Rosin flowing right away and the taste of the rosin incredible. Got a 20% yield. I think their plates let the rosin flow right away, moving fast from the heat source to prevent any heat degradation, because of the narrow width.

They didn't do any slow pressing and it was one of those strong hydraulic presses that crushed the micron bag instantly. The Bud tender also hand broke the nugs to get out the stems, not a grinder consistency.

I purchased the newvape circular plates from @VCBud for a great deal (vape critic is very generous), but waiting to buy the dake 10 after purchasing the harbor freight. Excited to do my rosin, but glad this dispensary has a rosin machine for free (charge $5 for the filter bag, so not completely free)

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

After what seems like forever, my press finally showed up! The plan is to assemble it tonight, throw that 3x5 caged set in there and see what she can do!

Thinking 3 or 4g at 200F for 2-1/2 minutes just to get a baseline. If anyone has a suggestion on tweaking this idea, lots hear it !

:rofl:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
After what seems like forever, my press finally showed up! The plan is to assemble it tonight, throw that 3x5 caged set in there and see what she can do!

Thinking 3 or 4g at 200F for 2-1/2 minutes just to get a baseline. If anyone has a suggestion on tweaking this idea, lots hear it !

:rofl:

How about starting at 220F plates temp with 3-4g and see what the yields are like at the higher end of the temp range, then you can dial the temps down for lower yields and better flavor if you prefer?

It's always nice to see the higher end of potential at first IMO.

Congrats on your press!! Look forward to your efforts..

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Rosin Chip from yesterday´s squishing :)

Bruce Banner x Screaming OG
No Bag, therefore some particals but for me no problem :)

2wd13x2.jpg

Doktor Dub

Rosin Chip from yesterday´s squishing :)

Bruce Banner x Screaming OG
No Bag, therefore some particals but for me no problem :)

2wd13x2.jpg

Man, that looks really fire and mouthwatering! Great Strain, great extraction, and this in my part of the world. Enjoy this, looks as quality as your Glas.
And who cares about particles in Rosin - after all we Vape the whole buds too, nothing to do with residual solvents.

Have a nice Sunday and thanks for the pic.

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Thanks man, rly appriciate ur kind words :)
Yeah its all home grown aswell so i rly know 4 sure whats inside and what not :D

I love squishing and therefore dont mind to repress the pucks a 2nd time, also pucks without bag are more easy for
me to work with afterwards...i just grind them in a coffee grinder if i got a couple and take that to work to vape with my mighty :D

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but is there any real advantage to pressing up against a stationary plate or pressing down against one, when it comes to pressing rosin? Or does it just not matter?

Ibn Vapin,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but is there any real advantage to pressing up against a stationary plate or pressing down against one, when it comes to pressing rosin? Or does it just not matter?

It doesn't matter, so long as you are applying enough pressure and heat, you will get rosin flowing out from the nugs.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Good discussion on Hash Church today regarding rosin, if you want to get more into the rosin talk (as the first hour is mark scialdone discussing his HHCA developments) skip to about 01:08:00

Part of the rosin discussion gets into theories on what exactly moisture plays in the squish, a lot of discussion on the pure pressure longs peak rosin press and it's capabilities. What people are doing with the pucks. Bubbleman gets called out by Johnny B for doing a lot of pressing lately. Marcus is perhaps becoming a convert? :D

Last edited:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
I don't know. The CannaClamp looks very similar constructionwise but MUCH more sturdy, stronger and of a higher quality for just $100 more.
This thing seems not to be a real advantage to a hairstraightener with a small clamp. May be I'm wrong, just my impression on the first view.

anasrzi

Judging from the vids I've seen and images of one gram pressed buds, the juice box looks pretty nifty for a personal harvest of oil, nothing like a proper hydraulic press mind you but for small nug presses or pressing some concentrate looks tidy

Can't say I've heard of the canna clamp I'll look into that one. Problem is id have to buy a transformer to run the juice box in the u.k, pity they don't make a e.u 230v version.

Top Bottom