Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Has anyone tried bottle tech with directional flow? Was thinking if this is possible, could help make collection easier and get rosin off plates when doing small loads, while still getting good yield?

Thanks & Peace.

Kind_Karma,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Has anyone tried bottle tech with directional flow? Was thinking if this is possible, could help make collection easier and get rosin off plates when doing small loads, while still getting good yield?

Thanks & Peace.
Maybe ... but I think directional flow depends on the "package" being rectangular ... as the round "puck" from bottle-tech, you'd never be able to get 3 sides square with the puck so everything flows out the other side.

I don't think at the lower temps (I'm at 205F or lower), for the times we are talking about, the time on the plates is a big issue.

... need to implement some sort of "vacuum" system that pulls the rosin out from the plates as it's produced! lol ... not sure how exactly this would work ... but ... hmmmm ...

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
My last squish had about 95% of the rosin weight out the front of the plates, I put the bottle tech bag right close to the front edge and pressed it at 220F, not sure if it was luck or perhaps the placement played a role. I eased down slowly with pressure and once I got where it feels right, it just starts pouring out. I'll have a gauge soon which should help me develop a semi-repeatable process.

6SsbZNV.jpg

Also I wonder if it would be safe to put some small shims on the back of the press feet to tilt it forward just enough to encourage the flow out the front. With a press like the dake b-10 the lever is separate from the frame, it seems like it should work w/o issue?

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
My take is directional flow is better when used for bigger amounts like more than 14 grams. Think about it this way, 14g x .2(20%) is 2.8 grams if you actually get that yield/return. To be honest, there is not a whole lot to flow in only 3 grams of Rosin if your lucky enough to get that.

I think bottle tech is a nice way to get 5-14 grams to press cleanly and efficiently. If your doing bottle tech on slick sheet then your collection effort is so simple. No cleaning or removing of plant matter and everything pulls off the slick sheet pretty easily.

Anything under 5 grams gets pre-pressed and then squished on oil slick sheet without a filter/bag.

JCat

Accessory Maker
My take is directional flow is better when used for bigger amounts like more than 14 grams. Think about it this way, 14g x .2(20%) is 2.8 grams if you actually get that yield/return. To be honest, there is not a whole lot to flow in only 3 grams of Rosin if your lucky enough to get that.

I think bottle tech is a nice way to get 5-14 grams to press cleanly and efficiently. If your doing bottle tech on slick sheet then your collection effort is so simple. No cleaning or removing of plant matter and everything pulls off the slick sheet pretty easily.

Anything under 5 grams gets pre-pressed and then squished on oil slick sheet without a filter/bag.
What oil slick sheets are you using? Are you talking about the PTFE roll? Or the oil slick parchment? Or some other oil slick product?

Thanks!

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
I can tell that the Oil Slick Parchment Paper (250x Sheets) is too slick in combination with my
Mini Nugsmasher, even if i pre-press my puck it will get bigger then the plates...this doesnt happen with the parchment i normally use so it really is because its too slick lol :D :D

I tried folding a bag for directional flow which does some kind of work but like said make´s no sense with such small amounts,
i also dislike using a bag since i mostly grind my pucks and vape them @ work :)

Last edited:

mc

latest presses;

https://imgur.com/a/JKIvH

Pressed some UK cheese flower at 185f. only 15% max yield but it's AMAZINGLY worth it. It's so loud in the Ti cup it's liking eating an hors d'oeuvre.

I know the melt shot is the triple Q-Ti but that's all I had on hand at the time :)

The last picture is RSK I post fairly often and it always produces over 22% for flower. The picture is not flower rosin though, that pic incoming.

Questions for you all...I am still experimenting, but small rosin dabs may be causing sinus drying, sinus pressure and headache. Ironically, I am a medical user for headaches and migraines. I wanted to see if anyone have had this experience or think it could possibly be from fats/waxes/lipids?
- Have been alrernating with medical BHO, slight drying of sinus, no pressure or headache.
- Have tried a couple different strains of rosin.
- Same ceramic donut(low temp) and water recycler used for rosin and BHO.

My presses have been 5(ish) grams of flower hand pucked, pressed at 200 F, some presses at 220F for about 2 minutes. Incremental pressure applied, ending at around 4-5 tons(on a 10 ton press).

Bummed if the extra fats/waxes/lipids in rosin could be causing this. I don't remember rosin in past from dispensary and homemade from hair straightener causing this, but have not had as much as medical BHO. Things I am considering trying to reduce fats/waxes/lipids:
1.) Pressing at lower temperature
2.) Pressing at lower pressure
3.) Pressing in small micron bag

Do you think those could help?

I am also going to sample some hash rosin I pressed through 25 micron bag, to see if it does same thing. Super bummed, am trying to be as sustainable and healthy as I can, with meds too...

Thanks & Peace.

Kind_Karma,
Reactions: shredder

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Have you tried vaporizing the same herb you squished in a flower vape to see if you notice the same effects?

A lot of BHO seems to have nearly as much wax as rosin to me unless it's some higher end nug runs. Trim run BHO is very waxy from all those smaller trichomes on trim.

I find most BHO harsher than rosin, I believe it's the chemical reactions which occur between solvent + terps + parchment paper during the pour off in a solvent extraction.

invertedisdead,
That was another thing I wanted to try, thanks for the reminder- will vape same flower in the Silver Surfer soon (after I get rid of this horrible headache), so can have a baseline to compare. Hopefully just need to dial-in rosin process, strain specific or a weird coincidence. Just got a nice rosin setup going, would suck if can't use for meds :( Off next week, so gonna do some experimenting!

Thanks & Peace.

shredder

That was another thing I wanted to try, thanks for the reminder- will vape same flower in the Silver Surfer soon (after I get rid of this horrible headache), so can have a baseline to compare. Hopefully just need to dial-in rosin process, strain specific or a weird coincidence. Just got a nice rosin setup going, would suck if can't use for meds :( Off next week, so gonna do some experimenting!

Thanks & Peace.

I have similar symptoms with weather changes in early spring, like now and fall. I have asthma and allergies. Are you sure it's not that? A reaction to the weather. When your already inflamed vapor can irritate you more, but it just might be an irritant rather than the main cause.

As a decongestant varieties with alpha pinene terpenes (super silver haze) might help as its a known decongestant. It's also a good rosin producer and maintains that same taste as the flowers. Good choice. When I'm congested varieties like gorilla glue or chem dawg make me worse when vaping, but no problems with them in a cannacap. I believe it's the terpenes.

As much as I read here about plant waxes in rosin causing this or that, I remain skeptical. I mean plant waxes are in the herb as well, but you don't hear about them causing anything in herb. Wtf?

Last edited:
Yeah, it is dry, warm and windy here this winter, so have thought of that. Thanks for strain and terpene recommendation for decongestant, definitely can use that in my medical arsenal.

Thanks & Peace.

Edit: @shredder I looked up super silver haze and it is sativa dominant.The rosin I have recently pressed has been indica/indica dominant, but I don't usually dab indicas and prefer sativa/sativa dominant. So strain variable still a possibility. Pressing some sativa dominant Red Headed Stranger today and will try in day or two and compare.

Last edited:
Kind_Karma,

MegaMan2k

Hey guys so im new to rosin, been sifting for a long time.

So i went out as a noob and got me this press www.squishit.eu/product/squishit-home-manual-rosin-press/
before i realized i should have sourced a shop press locally and just gotten some plates of dhgate or whatever.

I have some issues with my press and wondered if anyone had some ideas for a mod i can do, or pretty much just anything that could increase the "force" of this press..

After pressing with it for around a month the pressure seem be reduced since the whole steel frame that the unit rests on seem to bend slightly with each press

Also i have the issue that the plates are simply not aligned and the upper plate has a overbite when pressed down. (so i cant press anything close to the edge and make it flow)

All off these things together seem to affect the pressure of this press greatly, it did press some what decently for sift and bubble when i got it, but that seem to have reduced as well.

I was pretty much ready to throw it out in the dumpster, (other than the pid controllers and the plates maybe) well heres some pics :

https://imgur.com/a/EaVU3
https://imgur.com/0IGsnHM
https://imgur.com/a/avui4

I did try and screw the plates better into place but it only seem to make it worse.

Top Bottom