Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

JCat

Accessory Maker
I am using any baking paper (not wax paper) I can get at the supermarket, mainly unbleached. The only issue I have is that a single layer does sometimes bleed through onto my plates. I think this is mainly due the the extra pressure I can excerpt with my big press. I tried some SlickSheet yesterday (still had some laying around) and didn't like it because I found it difficult to get the rosin off. When I cooled it enough to get it off cleanly it turned to shatter and jumped all over the place. I think I will go for a double layer of baking paper for my next press.

I current store in silicon containers inside another container in the fridge. Never noticed any issues even after months of storage.
I'm doing the same. I've settled on the Reynolds (it is bleached, but it seems to be the best quality and easiest to work with). I also have to double layer with every type of parchment I've tried, or even at 1 ton of pressure with up to 4g I get bleed through (puck of maybe 1.5" diameter so we are looking at a PSI of >1,000 at 1 ton ...)

I'd really like to get some 35lb parchment from somewhere, but can't seem to find it anywhere in Canada at a reasonable price shipped. (this is what the slick paper is I believe ... 35lb parchment ... could be 55lb as well I guess, but I doubt it ... likely just generic 35lb parchment cut to sheet size and than packaged and branded ...)

I've seen some "Bakers Choice" 27lb platinum silicone and 35lb silicone parchment online (16.375" x 24.375" x 1000 sheets), but haven't found a source/price for it in Canada where they will ship it to me for a reasonable price.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I plan to do a squish soon, maybe even tomorrow. Apparently we're going to get some snow so might as well catch up on chores indoors. These rosin filters are a real bummer for me, I'm going to stop using them. Also this paper folding and such, it doesn't stop the rosin from flowing through the fold! At this point it seems squishing full nugs or get a pre-press ? then just squish on a large sheet of folded parchment, low fuss, low mess, low waste?

psychonaut,

DrRishi

I used bottletech on my NugSmasher Mini and although I was pleased with the results the bags always burst. My Mini has round plates so again the bottle is a good fit. However on the large press I have 5”x3”. I get my best results when the bag is about 1/4 inch from each side of the plates so 2.5” x 4.5”. In that sized bag I can get anywhere up to 20 grams in. I pre-press it by putting in my wood vice to get it pretty flat and make sure the edges and corners are full. I use a decent sized sheet of baking paper (no folding or channeling techniques used) and crank the press up slowly in 1 to 1.5 ton increments to around 8 ton which is about 1500 psi. Temp is 210 at the plates. The pids are set to 250. I think I am going to order a couple of K type thermocouples and connect them to the pid instead of the built in sensors in the heaters. That should give me a more accurate reading on the Pid. They are pretty cheap so I think it is a worthwhile experiment.

Thermocouples were Euro 4.95 each and I could source them locally so should have them next week. Better find that set of taps!

Last edited:

miguelovic

@JCat

Look for Dixie brand. I think it was 27lb 1000 sheet for 120-ish.

Kootenaybuynsell has bags on ebay shipping from Canada for around a buck. Might have mentioned that already.

miguelovic,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
I managed to find a place selling some 70gsm silicone coated paper (60gsm paper, 10gsm silicone) that I may try sometime in the near future, but the big roll of ordinary parchment I purchased months ago is still pretty full :ugh: lol #rosinproblems

Pyr0,

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat

Look for Dixie brand. I think it was 27lb 1000 sheet for 120-ish.

Kootenaybuynsell has bags on ebay shipping from Canada for around a buck. Might have mentioned that already.
Thanks ... I checked out the bags, but the smallest micron they have is 40 and I was more looking for 120 or 160ish I think for high quality flower ... looking for sizes that will work well for bottle-tech. (I did end up ordering some bags from AZ Press Co, coming from the US but shipping was only $5 USD, so not bad. It will take 2-4 weeks I'm sure to get here, but I decided might as well order and start waiting as opposed to thinking about it and not ordering ... :lol:)

I've seen enough 27lb or 35lb if I want to get 1,000 sheets, but nothing in the 100 or 250 range to make sure it's worth it before I drop >$100 + shipping.

McCairn packaging has quite a few options ... there's some 35lb platinum coated parchment from there ...

DrRishi

I am trying to improve my cheap Chinese 5x3 plates by adding a thermocouple. As far as I can make out a thermocouple (Type K) measures temperature at the tip. Does this mean I should ensure that the tip makes good contact with the plate. So I need to drill the hole in the plate just deep enough that when I tighten the thermocouple the tip makes contact?

DrRishi,

JCat

Accessory Maker
I am trying to improve my cheap Chinese 5x3 plates by adding a thermocouple. As far as I can make out a thermocouple (Type K) measures temperature at the tip. Does this mean I should ensure that the tip makes good contact with the plate. So I need to drill the hole in the plate just deep enough that when I tighten the thermocouple the tip makes contact?
I don't think this matters. The thermocouple is screwed in there (at least mine is, and so the thread has good contact and the thermocouple goes through the hollow bolt and has good contact with it)

I made sure to drill mine too deep (at least the one, the other doesn't seem so even though that's what I tried to do), and both read properly.

JCat,
Reactions: DrRishi

DrRishi

I don't think this matters. The thermocouple is screwed in there (at least mine is, and so the thread has good contact and the thermocouple goes through the hollow bolt and has good contact with it)

I made sure to drill mine too deep (at least the one, the other doesn't seem so even though that's what I tried to do), and both read properly.
Thanks, good to get some feedback. Do you have short thermocouples i.e. a couple of cm? I ordered short ones but they sent me long ones (10cm). This does mean it will go far into the plates. The actual thermocouple part has a 5mm diameter so I was planning to drill a 5mm hole so it is a tight fit all round.

DrRishi,
Reactions: Hogni

JCat

Accessory Maker
Thanks, good to get some feedback. Do you have short thermocouples i.e. a couple of cm? I ordered short ones but they sent me long ones (10cm). This does mean it will go far into the plates. The actual thermocouple part has a 5mm diameter so I was planning to drill a 5mm hole so it is a tight fit all round.
Mine are the short ones included in the Inkbird kits (PID, thermocouple, and SSR)

JCat,

miguelovic

Kootenay will do custom if you order 100 or so bags.

I'll check out McCairn, cheers for that.

McNairn?

miguelovic,
Reactions: JCat

DrRishi

Just got my bag material from the US. The sheets 36" x 40". I got fed up paying premium prices for bags that were never really the right size (I also keep changing my mind about what is ideal) so I just purchased the material. Came from the US very quickly in an envelop without any extra custom charges. I got the mesh from Rosin Evolution. I mainly squish bud so I got 160u for that and 37u for the bubblehash I make after each harvest. You do need to have a sewing machine and someone who knows how to use it. Looking forward to modifying my plates and making some bags this weekend to squish the rest of my harvest.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
:ninja: shits about to get real over here

hC68Bfp.jpg

0.74gr Strawnanna Magic top at 62% RH squished out 0.2gr rosin (27% yield) at 200F for 90 seconds.

kvwdNtk.jpg

Real stinky and pretty amber color, pull/snap to shatter consistancy

HN3Mqsf.jpg

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I am really excited to hear your review, and to see if the unit measures up to their marketing... they have done a great job marketing this line.

DrRishi

Very happy with my update of the plates with separate thermocouples. Using some black tape and my Fluke laser thermometer I am within 2 degrees F of the temp set on the PIDs. In itself it was a very cheap upgrade. 2 thermocouples were less than 10 euros. However since my thermocouples are 10cm long I needed a long drill bit and you can’t drill holes of that length with a hand drill so I had to get a column drill (I have been waiting for an excuse!). Then you have to tap a thread so I needed a set of taps. Anyway I now have an accurate press and a better equipped workshop.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
That is pretty impressive, so clean without any filters.

Thanks, I think a lot of it has to do with using whole nugs that are at a humidity level that keeps them from breaking apart under pressure. I want to get into using bags more but this methods working out ok! 580F dabs of this on the SiC halo were lovely right afterwards.

mixchu69

Thanks, I think a lot of it has to do with using whole nugs that are at a humidity level that keeps them from breaking apart under pressure. I want to get into using bags more but this methods working out ok! 580F dabs of this on the SiC halo were lovely right afterwards.
I hope I can pick your brain when I get back in the rosin game. I bought @Joel W. plates with a vice awhile ago using soldering irons as heaters...tech has evolved since...I want to find a way to use my @Joel W. plates with new tech

Top Bottom