1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by darkrom, Feb 25, 2015.

1. mc

mc Well-Known Member

That helps a boatload, thanks! And do you have metal threading in the bolt holes (the ones holding it to the ram) or is it just screwed into the wood and eventually you'll need to replace them?

The Beagle and JCat like this.
  2. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

Yes ... metal threads ... used 1/4-20 screw-in threaded inserts ...

The Beagle and mc like this.
  3. mc

mc Well-Known Member

really professional build man, kudos.

The Beagle and JCat like this.
  4. DrRishi

DrRishi Well-Known Member

Has anyone in Europe built their own press? I have a NugSmasher mini which is great but I need to have larger plates. I am looking for 3*5 plates with a separate thermocouple. All the 'kits' with a separate thermocouple seem to come from the US/CAN (110V and very high shipping/customs costs). Everything I see on DHGate has a combined heating element and temperature sensor - Is this really important? I understand the logic of having the temp sensor separate but is it really a big problem?. Is the only option in Europe to build from scratch?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    The Beagle and Hogni like this.
  5. mc

mc Well-Known Member

Sorry to bother you again! But what kind of wires did you use and did you solder anything at all or just crimp and screw? I'm trying to gather all the materials before I give it a go.

The Beagle likes this.
  6. Kosherbubba

Kosherbubba Active Member

Can you still use the ironed up bud? Is there still use to the bud after its pressed?

Well if you live in the USA , walmart sells a rosin press for cheap. I wish I lived there. Awsome price.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rosineer-RNR-MV2-Rosin-Press-Upgraded-from-RNR-MV1/817668722

via leafly video https://www.leafly.com/tv/video/the-walmart-rosin-press

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
    The Beagle likes this.
  7. JCat

Used crimp on connectors and wire from Canadian tire. Nothing fancy here. Could have soldered, but this seemed easier for what I was doing and don't see how soldering would have offered any advantages (plus I started w/ single PID and moved to dual PID which was sorta' the plan from the start so this was a factor as well)

If I really wanted to be fancy, I would have bought some heat resistant wire, and assembled the thermocouple and heater wires together to terminate on an xlr connector or something, but really seemed like overkill. It's important that it's modular in case I need to disassemble for whatever reason, however, it pretty much always stays together :)

The wires on the heater cartridges themselves are heat resistant and long enough that I didn't have to worry. The thermocouple wire is the original right to the PID (you don't want to cut this wire)

I don't have any use for the leftovers after pressing, just like I have no use for leftover ABV; others would disagree. There is something left, just not enough to be worth it IMHO.

It can be used to make edibles I suppose, but again, I'd prefer to use concentrates for edibles so they taste so much better! (or at least premium flower)

8. mc

mc Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks! I kind of want to go fancy if possible. So the XLR is just a single connector instead of 2 in each plate? Like I use on my music equipment?

Avoid this press imo. It won't do the pressure you'll want int he end.

Also you can do an ISO/EC wash of the pucks or cook it in coconut oil. I've recovered a fair amount from a few months of pucks but they mostly had filters, so there was visual stuff still there to recover.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
    The Beagle and mixchu69 like this.
  9. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

What kind of filters?

10. psychonaut

psychonaut High as fuck

I'm back in business, thought I ordered a 20 ton but look a like this was a 12 ton. My cheap press =)

Got some frost that needs melting =)

[​IMG]

miguelovic, JCat, The Beagle and 4 others like this.
  11. mc

mc Well-Known Member

Looks great man!

I use reg nylon from lit.extractions

JCat likes this.
  12. DrRishi

DrRishi Well-Known Member

Just ordered a 10 ton press (HBM) for €199 and the same plates you have for $214. I will probably incur some extra costs for the import duties and VAT. Looking forward to be able to squish my harvest.

JCat and The Beagle like this.
  13. biohacker

biohacker fully melted

Think it's time to jump on board the rosin train! Any suggestions for a press under $1000? Or is there another thread for that?

JCat and shredder like this.
  14. nosmoking

nosmoking Fogmonger

Search for @timewizard greyfox on Facebook and Instagram. Its a little more than you want to spend but its the best kit IMHO.

The Nugsmasher also has some decent comments from users in this thread, but the Mini version seems to get a little less praise and I think one member @Dangus maybe it was returned his for the bigger version. I believe the OG goes for $800.

I bought caged 3x5 plates with heaters and PID contoller from low temp plates and a Harbor Freight press and it works great as well. This setup was $479 for the caged plates and $140 for the press.

The slug and vice is a really cheap option also.

There is also a thread for Rosin presses under $750 somewhere around here if you are interested.

JCat, The Beagle, Dangus and 2 others like this.
  15. biohacker

biohacker fully melted

Thank you, that's the one I am looking for! Cheers! :cheers:

JCat likes this.
  16. Dangus

Dangus Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

:wave:

Yup, I returned the mini for larger 'standard' / 'lil smasher'...think they might have changed the name? Either way, I'm still digging the press and can press 5-7 grams at a time without issue. Great device and a great way to process a small harvest in a quick time period. :tup:

JCat and biohacker like this.
  17. nathan7

nathan7 Active Member

Do you pre-press @Dangus? Do others feel it is necessary or a very good idea to do it?

JCat likes this.
  18. Dangus

Dangus Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I have in the past, usually only if I'm not using a filter bag. These days I'm going the bottle tech route with pretty good results:

Click to play YouTube Video

JCat and Hogni like this.
  19. psychonaut

psychonaut High as fuck

Some barney's farm LSD smashed in 160 micron filter at 190F for 3min, almost 20% yield, think my filter still has some oil it in so saving it for some edibles down the road. Super stinky!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JCat, DrRishi, biohacker and 2 others like this.
  20. shredder

shredder Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with my set up. It's a harbor freight 20 ton press, and caged plates from low temp plates. Only thing I'd do different is to get the 4x7 plates. I bought 3x5 caged plates. Nothing else to buy everything bolts right up. I have less than $800 in it, and i press about 5-6 ounces four times per year (harvests)

JCat, DrRishi, psychonaut and 2 others like this.
  21. supremedepoulet

supremedepoulet Member

Hello everybody :wave:

Sorry to bother you, I would like to know if the « rosin technique » (hair iron and parchment paper) can be applied to cheap €uropean haschich ? Is worth the hassle ?

The Beagle and shredder like this.
  22. Vapology

Vapology Well-Known Member

Definitely worth it :rockon:

Click to play YouTube Video

The Beagle, mc, shredder and 3 others like this.
  23. supremedepoulet

supremedepoulet Member

Thanks you again ! I send you a message but don't bother !

Vapology likes this.
  24. weedemon

weedemon enthusiast

you're here in canada? canadian tire has em on clearance atm. 10 ton hydraulic (with a pressure gauge) is on for 150ish

i bought mine at princess auto, but it's the same thing really :) buy a 10 or 12 ton version or if you feel like buying overkill - a 20ton.

get one that has a pressure gauge. it will help you in the end.

as for plate systems if i were you, i'd buy a set of caged plates.

25. JCat

100% agree with this ... the press from Canadian Tire @ $150 CAD is an absolute steal (with pressure gauge!)

I'm using my cheap home made dual PID controller and home made plates and I'm supper happy with them! Not as nice as caged I'm sure, but I don't think I'd notice much of a difference if any for my purposes so far :) ... might eventually build/buy a cage to mount them in ... maybe not though as so far I'm super happy with what I've got and my 20-27% yields! (1 strain is pretty much always around 25% that I do and the other 2 are around 20% ... sometimes squeeze an extra couple % out of each)

@biohacker ... with the Cdn Tire press, and a really nice set of plates, I'm sure you'd still be under that $750 mark; and unless you are going to be pressing large amounts, 10tons is way more than enough. I never really go over 1 ton, and even that seems to be a little on the high side, and that's for pressing up to 4g at a time so far. I can't imagine it would require that much to even do a 1/2 oz at a time ... not sure as you start getting up into the oz's though ....

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors