Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

toked23

Picked up a high5 manual press recently slightly used. Anyone else have one and care to give me a few pointers? Temp, time squishing etc?

toked23,

shredder

Hey all, Ive been lurking around here a while and I'm planning on making my own DIY rosin press and am currently in the research stage. I have already decided that I will use a bottle jack (likely 8 ton) and now I need to make the housing. I saw this design by 2clicker earlier in the thread and was hoping for a little advice from people who have done something similar as I want to avoid and explosions!
How thick would the steel plates on the top and bottom need to be? I'm guessing about a cm
Best way to attach plate to bottle jack and ensure even pressure?
Any other nougats of information are very very welcome. I think I'll take photos along the way and create a walk-through of my process, and once it actually works properly post it up here

A friend of mine made something simular with a 12 ton bottle jack. His is made from 4 inch I beam. Four pieces welded together to form a box, with the bottle jack centered on the bottom beam. Very sturdy.

And I think sturdy is what you want. You may want to research the tensil strength of those threaded rods. I think you want a safety factor of 7. If the plates on the top and bottom are too light they will warp, the threaded rods could snap and fly apart, not giving you time to duck, lol. For DIY always over build and so you won't regret it later.

shredder,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Just got a straightener... first ever squish!

34hdwk3.jpg

dabsonthemountain

Picked up a high5 manual press recently slightly used. Anyone else have one and care to give me a few pointers? Temp, time squishing etc?
This really has been discussed at length, but i get how big this thread is. To be honest i don't really expect you to read the whole thing... but it'd be nice if you did! You'd really be impressed by the info here.
If i want something tasty i press at 190-210 for 45-55 seconds, if i'm going for yield up to 260 for 20-30 seconds. i have an 8 ton bottle jack press at about 3000 psi for my average puck size.

E-Wax Canada

Manufacturer
Hey all, Ive been lurking around here a while and I'm planning on making my own DIY rosin press and am currently in the research stage. I have already decided that I will use a bottle jack (likely 8 ton) and now I need to make the housing. I saw this design by 2clicker earlier in the thread and was hoping for a little advice from people who have done something similar as I want to avoid and explosions!
How thick would the steel plates on the top and bottom need to be? I'm guessing about a cm
Best way to attach plate to bottle jack and ensure even pressure?
Any other nougats of information are very very welcome. I think I'll take photos along the way and create a walk-through of my process, and once it actually works properly post it up here
Bloby, send me a PM and will explain in better detail what is needed to make a functioning AND reliable Rosin Press. If you are in the GTA area (Greater Toronto Area) I would be more than happy to let you press some flowerand see what results you get with variable parameters such as time and temp. Let me know or start a new thread and I will add to it and we can start a new discussion. No one is wrong, we all just have our own methods that work best for our tastes. Yes, some may be bias, but who really isn't these days? Kinda like asking the chef, "what tastes better?"

I will answer your questions to the best of my ability and hope I can add my 15+ years experience in electronics/design and see where it goes! One of my philosophies is spend the money and get what you pay for. More times than not this is true. Rosin press applies to this philosophy IMO.

E-Wax Canada

Manufacturer
Hi guys, I just set up a 20 ton HF press, and I'm using 5x3 cage style plates from low temp.

I've found the heater control is off. It's in centegrade, but at what would be 200°F the rosin came out dark. I turned it down 10degrees C to get more blond ish rosin.

But the pucks have been a problem. They're super thin, and stick to the paper like glue. And they seem very sticky with resin. I haven't tried repressing because they're so hard to handle.

Herb is super silver Haze about 4 months old and well cured. Stored with boveda packs.

Anyone seen this? Also it's about in the low 50's here with rain. So high humidity. Could this cause puck problems?

The slick sheets were worse than gormets choice brand unbleached parchment. The pucks in the sheets expanded crazy big. I'll have to save slick sheets for when I use a bag. First I'll dial this in with nugs tho. I may have used too much pressure, anyone?

I actually liked the unbleached better in my vise and hair straightener as well.

I'm pre squishing buds by hand, maybe .5 gr to 1gr, then flattened in a taco shells press.

Press time about a minute, at what seems like, medium high pressure. No way maxed out. But no pressure gauge, yet anyway.

Yields so so (17%) but I'm real new with this, and not close to dialing it in.

E-Wax Canada,

poonman

If you are in the GTA area (Greater Toronto Area) I would be more than happy to let you press some flowerand see what results you get with variable parameters such as time and temp.

I would like to take you up , on that offer .
And maybe have you assemble a rosin press for me .
Booyah ...

poonman,

Captain Kush

I ended up trying this a couple weeks ago. Didn't have a temp reading on the hair straightener. Pressed with all my weight and didn't get much at all I tried with the temp extremely high and lower. Ran it twice on both settings. I didn't even get a dabs worth used 2 to 3 grams. Didn't grind it up don't know if this changes the results at all. Can't seem to figure out what's going wrong with my runs. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Captain Kush,
Reactions: shredder

E-Wax Canada

Manufacturer
I ended up trying this a couple weeks ago. Didn't have a temp reading on the hair straightener. Pressed with all my weight and didn't get much at all I tried with the temp extremely high and lower. Ran it twice on both settings. I didn't even get a dabs worth used 2 to 3 grams. Didn't grind it up don't know if this changes the results at all. Can't seem to figure out what's going wrong with my runs. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Very small nugs... like .3 to .5 max. Sounds like your rosin is not making it out of the patty. Try much smaller buds. Should give you a yield. Post a picture of your left over patty.

E-Wax Canada,

Captain Kush

Very small nugs... like .3 to .5 max. Sounds like your rosin is not making it out of the patty. Try much smaller buds. Should give you a yield. Post a picture of your left over patty.

Will do yet again thank you souch for the tips I'll run some tonight and see what I get and post pics after!!!
Thanks again E-wax!!

Captain Kush,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yeah you gotta do really small batches with the straightener. You should get something though unless your flower is really bad and or dry.

Also, I'm doing it the same way as you, and I think you're pretty much guaranteed to not maximize yield when only pressing with body weight. Definitely need more pressure for pressing straight flower.

dabsonthemountain

Captain Kush

Hey thanks guys for the tips. I'm gonna run a way smaller bud and see if I can find something to clamp it stand by for results. I was using probably a gram size bud last time so I'm thinking that's huge factor as well. I saw videos of people doing huge buds thought it had to be big. Well here goes nothing!

Captain Kush,

Captain Kush

Way better results with less bud couldn't find a clamp but my fatass has got the weight!! (Too many munchies) got a great yield don't know how to post pics but I took a couple. Used a shirt broke the .3 size bud up a bit and worked perfect thanks buds!!!

Captain Kush,

E-Wax Canada

Manufacturer
Just a note... some strains produce very little rosin. I had some Sativa Dominant flower and produced less than half of the yield of some Dominant Indica I had. I have ran about 20 strains through my 10 Ton Press and yield varied for all of them. Indica with lots of Trichomes gives great yields.

The best press pressure and this is IMO, is around 800 psi-1000 psi. That means 1000 lbs for ever square inch of heater area. Obviously you cannot hit this mark with human pressure. Only your weight divided by the square inches of the surface area. If you have a 2 inch x 4 inch hair straightener, then it would be your weight divided by 2x4=8 square inches. Let's assume you weigh 200lbs. 200lbs divided by 8 = 25lbs per square inch! That is not even close and why the yields are low.

I loaned my press to a Vapor lounge locally and one of the members brought in a bunch of Rosin Cakes pressed from his rosinator. They were pretty thick and was about a 2 gram press. I knew he could repress his cakes and the first cake yielded over 1/2 gram of leftover rosin. He had a cookie jar full of cakes. My estimate was he had about 100 cakes in the jar. 1/2 gram x 100? 50 grams of Rosin Lost! Or now found lol. How much does 50 grams of rosin cost? Technically, the cost of my press setup. Recoup the loss and save for life.

Bottom line guys, you need a great amount of pressure to really extract Rosin from the buds. The method above will work but will yield very poorly. Keep in perspective the loss factor when you are trying to save a few bucks. You will lose more in Rosin with a low pressure method and will cost more overall than purchasing a proper tonnage press. I will post a few youtube links of my press in action. You then can see what you can do different or add to your existing projects.

I am not trying to sell you my press. The whole point of this topic is to inform people of what I have learned. I have learned a lot and can share that with you. I may not be right, but I will inform you of what I believe is correct from experience. I have built a Rosin Press successfully. So I have at least that to go on. I am no Trichome Guru but I know electronics/fabrication and that has brought me here.

I am here to help and you will never see me criticize. Everyone deserves to be heard even if it sounds ridiculous. Guiding someone in the right direction opposed to bashing them for asking a question is how I roll. No one is above or below me when I am explain things. I want everyone to be on the same playing field so there are more discussions about things that really matter to this site and it's members.

I will be building a small Press Kit with 1" Stainless Plates shortly. It will include heater rods x 2, 1" stainless steel plates x 2, Flat coil x 2 and Dual PID Controller Control Box. 2 piece plate design locks in the flat coil and heats your plates.

You supply the press : )

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Nice explanation! How do you work? Which temperature, pressure, time and tec with which material?

Hogni,
Reactions: JCat

E-Wax Canada

Manufacturer
Way better results with less bud couldn't find a clamp but my fatass has got the weight!! (Too many munchies) got a great yield don't know how to post pics but I took a couple. Used a shirt broke the .3 size bud up a bit and worked perfect thanks buds!!!
Good for you! What you did was apply more pressure to a smaller area and you now see the results. The smaller the nug, the more pressure (psi) that can be created.

Next time instead of breaking it up, roll it in a ball in your fingers. Then squish. Should be slightly better yield. Breaking up the bud makes more surface area and found it picked some of the rosin back up when it spread out to flatten. Smallest surface area possible and that is a ball. .3 gr ball seems to be the magic number for you. Try it and see.

Here is a quick tip. Use a marker housing to create a Pre Press. The cap and the marker normally fit into each other so cut off enough so one fits inside the other with enough room to press your normal weight. Place the tube on the table, add bud and use other end to press it in a nice circular nug. Push it out the other end and voila! Open end tube about 1 inch, place bud then push and form with the butt end or cap of the marker. Cheapest pre press in the world.

E-Wax Canada

Manufacturer
Nice explanation! How do you work? Which temperature, pressure, time and tec with which material?
It all depends... Normally I press at 207 F. Seems like an odd number but enjoy the terp taste so low temps have more taste but yield a bit less.

I run my press for 45 seconds after 10 tons has been reached. I do not go slow, I get right to 10 tons quickly and hold. None of this slow press shit for me.

I use parchment paper. Nothing special.

I press for 45 seconds at 207F and my best yield was 23% from bud. This was weight value. My worst was 13% from sativa dominant strain. I press .5 gr flower at a time and have awesome results.

Check out my facebook page and you can see pics and video of my press setup. E-Wax Canada

Hope that helps : )

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Thanks @E-Wax. 207° sounds reasonable with this pressure (800-1000psi?). What temps do you use for hash/kief?

Do you've ever tried the directional flow tec of elysian research? I'm wondering that they are pressing over minutes up to half an hour. Does anyone have any experiences with this method? They are the only ones who are working so long even with DF on their material after all I've found.
Regarding FB I've found only one vid!?

BTW nice trekkie stuff! But you still need a Jabba hookah aside your Boba Fett-enail!

EDIT: You do use 3200W on your plates?? Isn't it a litte bit oversized? Not to much generally and especially to hold a constant temp?

Last edited:
Hogni,

miguelovic

Irwin or DeWalt Quick Grips and some JB Weld make a good press.

ICmag has build guides under "HMK style press".

The main concern with disassembly/reassembly is taping the 110/120v connection at the cord end union with the straightener.

I found the JB useful not only as an insulator but to reinforce the plates and avert breakage. It can be putty knifed around the plates as it dries.

I apply pressure slowly to avoid blow outs. Not sure why that qualifies as shit but it works great for me.

The longer press times are for >80C. Temperature varies on target outcome and cultivar.

Last edited:
miguelovic,
Reactions: JCat

E-Wax Canada

Manufacturer
Thanks @E-Wax. 207° sounds reasonable with this pressure (800-1000psi?). What temps do you use for hash/kief?

Do you've ever tried the directional flow tec of elysian research? I'm wondering that they are pressing over minutes up to half an hour. Does anyone have any experiences with this method? They are the only ones who are working so long even with DF on their material after all I've found.
Regarding FB I've found only one vid!?

BTW nice trekkie stuff! But you still need a Jabba hookah aside your Boba Fett-enail!

EDIT: You do use 3200W on your plates?? Isn't it a litte bit oversized? Not to much generally and especially to hold a constant temp?
Wait until you see my TDF plate prototypes. TRUE DIRECTIONAL FLOW. Much different application and is designed more for commercial use. Coming shortly : )

1600 top and bottom is maybe a little more than normal. I do not want heater rod burnout and time and temps needed to get the plates to a higher temp is taken into account. Less heat means more heat ramp time. The rods have to work harder longer to reach temp. My setup will last for years because of this.

You lose terps the longer you press. They just add terpz so they don't care about the extract taste. I want to keep the process as clean and natural as possible. Anybody can add shit to make it taste better. If you do a good extraction, you will be rewarded in both extract and taste. I am in no way knocking their method, but as you can see it is about the money they can turn over opposed to the quality of extract. I can copy and have my machinist slot grooves to run the rosin forward, that is easy. Now can they extract and have it collect in a container with next to no mess? That is where I come in. I cannot give too much details but can say I am looking at a patent for this design as I know it will be copied in days. I am talking with some investors this week.

miguelovic

There are many different techniques.

Sunfire promotes a longer press onto a cold surface with the oil separated by time/heat, an advantage of his setup. He works with hashes mainly. That is his way, there are many others.

I tend towards flower and 60-90s 94C presses @ 600-1000PSI.

Out of over 50 strains or phenotypes, two recent additions have the terpene content to match the low yielding sativa I prefer to press, and both are bland high THC strains bred to powerful hazes.

My opinion being, with highly flavoured material, the method becomes much less of a determining factor.

miguelovic,
Top Bottom