Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Up to now there is no great demand in Germany and the most other european countries for concentrates and related devices. So its a kind of pioneering too. No big buisiness for my friend. He will put it in a niche of his products just for fun.

I think that a smaller unit would be better for the european market as most of us only make rosin just for personal use. I would really like to move forward from my hair straightener and clamp setup but can't justify spending several hundred euros to press a couple of grams every once in a while.

Doktor Dub

@Hogni as you already know, i m really looking forward what you come up with. Would be great to have a quality european Option.

@PPN as mentioned, you could have a look at vapefiend, he carries the High5 press (i think currently out of stock) and the "Pressie", i like the Formfactor quite a bit, but there are no in depht reviews. BTW, thanks for the review of the TI Herborizer.

@The Beagle a really good working, quality unit for small amounts would be indeed great for the pretty new and not very developed european market. As Hogni said, some pioneering has to be done!

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Hi @The Beagle, being realistically, the cheapest version will cost a few hundreds for sure. Think about alone the costs of material and electronic devices w/o press. Customized handmade plates, heating elements, controllers for each plate.
Nothing against Joel, he did a really good job for our community, appreciate! But remember his pretty simple and rough plates, which were very different to those we intend to develope. What did cost just his plates w/o the elec. devices? 120 or such else? A reasonable price btw.
What does this really questionable Tarik&Rosin cost? 150?

Last edited:

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Yep, I guess you cannot go below a certain price point especially if you want to make a quality product. I just don't like the idea of having to purchase a unit designed to process way more than what I need. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how things evolve.

The Beagle,
Reactions: Hogni

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
I only see saving potential in a set which includes just one heating plate with controller.
I have read some reviews that heating by one plate can to the job satisfying. Size of plates doesnt matter s o much in relation of price.
Dont intend to build a high tech hairstraightener ;-) Alt least a arbor press will be necessary for the smallest sizes.

Doktor Dub

Its the perfect thing to buy with a few people together, could be even somthing to rent from a Headshop...

Doktor Dub,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
I think that a smaller unit would be better for the european market as most of us only make rosin just for personal use. I would really like to move forward from my hair straightener and clamp setup but can't justify spending several hundred euros to press a couple of grams every once in a while.
I'm feeling exactly the same and my clamp is starting to fail.
I like the look of the Vapefiend Pressie (bee-nails.com Hextractor1500?) but because I don't press very much or often, I'm a little reluctant to fork out £400

Hoosier

I'm feeling exactly the same and my clamp is starting to fail.
I like the look of the Vapefiend Pressie (bee-nails.com Hextractor1500?) but because I don't press very much or often, I'm a little reluctant to fork out £400

Guys- that pressie looks to be a relabeling of the greenlight press. That said, it has been on the market for a few months and the last time I checked, the only YouTube videos are from the manufacturer, and no real reviews to be found anywhere

Hoosier,
Reactions: Pyr0

Eastcoastdab

New to this thread. Been pressin rosin for over a month now after watching ganja josh youtube video american stoner rosin press 70 percent return. He used a small vice with a hair straightenern and so i did aswel. I have some pics i can share. I have had good success. Using only kief. My best return was 50 percent so .5 from a gram. Shatter consistency.

Eastcoastdab,
Reactions: PPN

killick

But I like it!
Can one make rosin using high quality trim? Ala all sugar leaves and small nugs? What is one of the best value ala least expensive options to get a decent sized press? Thanks.

Have you tried either dry sift or bubble hash and then pressing the outcome of that?

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Have you tried either dry sift or bubble hash and then pressing the outcome of that?

Yes i certainly have. Looking for another option. Ideally more potent. Although i do enjoy a pressed bubble, there is only a handful of vapes that can vaporize a pressed material well in my experience; Ala the vapcap

IAmKrazy2,

herbivore21

Yes i certainly have. Looking for another option. Ideally more potent. Although i do enjoy a pressed bubble, there is only a handful of vapes that can vaporize a pressed material well in my experience; Ala the vapcap
Also the vapexnails for the evo! That shit is divine with 3-4 star hash :D Just make sure it melts in the bottom for a little while before inhaling.

The dynavap range are definitely best portable for the task as you say though :bowdown:

killick

But I like it!
So tried pressing dry sift the other day. Really well prepared - making dry sift, wearing gloves, rip wierd round squares of parchment, and try origamiing something up. Also bumped heat to 280, as High Five seemed a little low. Anyhoo, we now know what resin looks like when it waterfalls onto worktop. The first run I've seen. No pix, but heres what i started with... After discovering that my screen labels were messed up... i now screen through the 60, and collect off the 220... anyhoo... Sedamen (3.3g from 10g bud), Purple Candy (6.4g from 2 cups trim) and Kosher Kush, 3g from 10 bud.

OxyohJN.jpg

killick

But I like it!
So this stuff was made in the great outdoors of the garage. The temp is right around -3c, I dumped the containers directly on the screen and manually broke them up. With the screens came a plastic card with a hole to snap a vibrating egg, which combine into a vibrating scraper. Once the buds are broken up I kinda move small scoops of the herb across the screen with the scraper, and once we've moved it all across the screen a couple of times check the lower screen for quantity, scrape it off and weight it, and store. The trim was quite productive, but it probably has more plant matter. It'll still squish nicely.

So, using the High Five set at around 275, this stuff runs really nicely. Kinda sappy and sticky, collects nicely, and doesn't take much time at all. I found an old garlic press and prepress buds in that. With dry sift I've been folding parchment in 1/2, then folding two sides over, making an envelope, and scooping a teaspoon or so of DS in. Close press, hear sizzle almost immediately, and push - and there is a trail of green just like the old CCR song, except dribbling...

Next time:
Temps will go down
Measurements will be taken
As will pix

Pressing bud is decent. I've not used any screens or filters as yet, but those will happen when they happen. Right now I'm just surprised at how smple it was to make dry sift, and how quick resin comes from that. Smple, once you discover your screens are mislabelled. I got a tablespoon from 10 grams when used incorrectly. Correctly positioned I got 3 grams of sift from the previously sifted material - I wiped pollen from inside the jar it was so thick. Gadz. And then the vibrator widget broke. It's like a size 000000 capsule, with a little jackhammer device embedded inside with a gloop of silicone. Time to try solder weenie wires onto almost invisible lugs, and then put a loop in so the wire doesn't just fall off the wire like that in future. Or say tempus fugit to that and just touch the side of the screen with a vibrating sander.

This ain't rocket surgery... :)

herbivore21

Yup not only is that a mess to separate the flower bits from the oil but that was a hell of a lot of squishing to get to that stage! The entire setup seems much less easy to use for making rosin and hard to collect all of the rosin after, compared to a vise or hydraulic press setup. The other problem is that rolling presses are much more likely to damage the parchment (the bud too!) and this is a dealbreaker for rosin IMO.

Interesting to watch though and I do think that in the end we will see new forms of rosin extractor that will be more efficient than what we use now, this setup just isn't there yet ;)

dabsonthemountain

I've been having problems with my homemade press. I haven't taken it apart yet to see if theres anything broken or overly warped, I haven't had time. But it's worrying me. The plate just defects too much now. Anyone with homemade presses ever find a way to keep this from happening? The plate slides around as i'm putting the final squeeze on the bud and its ripping and folding up the parchment to an "impossible to collect rosin off of" mess. I'm thinking guard rails on the outside frame to keep the plates in the middle? But then it's putting tension in two directions on the upright beams on the frame, and that's gotta be asking for trouble. That's all i can think of though. I'll post more pictures when i get the chance too. But for now anyone with experience please help!

dabsonthemountain,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
So if I'm going to be trying this, I need two metal plates heated to X temperature, parchment paper, bud, and a press? I've got all that's required but I'm not sure on temps.

Winegums,
Reactions: killick

killick

But I like it!
@Winegums you get to experiment with temps a bit. I wasn't happy at 195, so bumped up to 295, and realized things were going up in smoke, so back down to 260 with reasonably good results. With one strain of sift.

Try practice on some smaller nugs just to see what your return is, and bump temps up and down in small increments. Small changes can make big differences in return. Same for technique. I started loading kief into a corner of a package, and then putting just that corner into the press. Lots of resin squirts out in the two non-folded directions, and was pretty easy to collect, with some coming out like tree sap. This at around 260 on a 1 ton High Five arbor press.

I scooped a handheld garlic press to prepress buds, which helps a lot. Once I get things a bit more solid I'll be keeping strain notes to make things quicker in future, but for now it's making sure the process works for me.

I've never used screens to wrap buds, but thats a later on thing.

PS - I toss the pucks in a jar of alcohol. There is still stuff left in them...

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@Winegums you get to experiment with temps a bit. I wasn't happy at 195, so bumped up to 295, and realized things were going up in smoke, so back down to 260 with reasonably good results. With one strain of sift.

Try practice on some smaller nugs just to see what your return is, and bump temps up and down in small increments. Small changes can make big differences in return. Same for technique. I started loading kief into a corner of a package, and then putting just that corner into the press. Lots of resin squirts out in the two non-folded directions, and was pretty easy to collect, with some coming out like tree sap. This at around 260 on a 1 ton High Five arbor press.

I scooped a handheld garlic press to prepress buds, which helps a lot. Once I get things a bit more solid I'll be keeping strain notes to make things quicker in future, but for now it's making sure the process works for me.

I've never used screens to wrap buds, but thats a later on thing.

PS - I toss the pucks in a jar of alcohol. There is still stuff left in them...
Thanks for the tips. I'll heat the plates in my oven and check them with my temp gun. The process seems pretty simple.

Winegums,
Reactions: killick
Top Bottom